1. Post #1
    July 2011
    6,504 Posts
    There are 18,000 married gay and lesbian couples in California and at least 131,000 nationwide according to the 2010 census, conducted before New York state legalized same-sex marriage in July.

Rick Santorum says he'll try to unmarry all of them if he's elected president.

Once the U.S. Constitution is amended to prohibit same-gender marriages, "their marriage would be invalid," the former Pennsylvania senator said Dec. 30 in an NBC News interview.

"We can't have 50 different marriage laws in this country," he said. "You have to have one marriage law."

The comments didn't attract nearly as much attention as Santorum's recent invocation of his Catholic faith to denounce government support for birth control, prenatal testing and resource conservation - which, in the last case, he attributed to President Obama's "phony theology."

But his declared intention to nullify past as well as future same-sex marriages has reinforced his position to the right of the other Republican contenders, even though each of them has also voiced fervent support for traditional unions.

Mitt Romney, who was governor of Massachusetts when the state's high court became the first in the nation to declare a right to same-sex marriage in 2003, backs a constitutional amendment to outlaw such marriages in the future, but says he'd leave currently wedded couples alone. Newt Gingrich also wants an amendment but hasn't said whether it would be retroactive.

Ron Paul opposes same-sex marriage but wants the federal government to stay out of it - no federal benefits for gay and lesbian couples, no federal court authority to overturn state laws like California's Proposition 8 and no constitutional amendments overriding a state's prerogative to decide which of its residents can marry.
    More info in the source

Also, what the fuck, can he even do this?
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN3Q1N9EV9.DTL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb x 108Funny x 35Winner x 3Friendly x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,452 Posts
    praise jesus for sending this dying nation a warrior of god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 184Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    February 2011
    2,049 Posts
    Okay, at this point he's even alienating some Christians.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 89 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2009
    4,673 Posts
    Did anyone else just read that closed thread saying Republicans don't force values down peoples' throats?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 47 (list)

5. Post #5
    I AM A PUTRID FUCK WHO CHASES AFTER PEOPLE'S VANS, SCARES GIRLS, FELL FOR A RANDOM FUCK ON THE INTERNET WHO I'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN, AND SHOVED RUSTY NAILS DOWN MY COCK FOR THEM.
    July 2008
    4,193 Posts
    His insanity is reaching critical mass!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2010
    4,370 Posts
    Small government = Government controlling your bedrooms and bodies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2009
    4,673 Posts
    His insanity is reaching critical mass!
    It overloaded long ago. This is the unsurvivable fallout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2008
    431 Posts
    Am I slow for not catching the reason this subject is still a debate? Why would any human deny any other human basic liberties in such an awful, spiteful way?

Wait, is Rick Santorum even human? Is that's what's been going on here?

9. Post #9
    I AM A PUTRID FUCK WHO CHASES AFTER PEOPLE'S VANS, SCARES GIRLS, FELL FOR A RANDOM FUCK ON THE INTERNET WHO I'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN, AND SHOVED RUSTY NAILS DOWN MY COCK FOR THEM.
    July 2008
    4,193 Posts
    It overloaded long ago. This is the unsurvivable fallout.
    How do we know the fallout didn't settle and reach critical mass itself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    I SHOULDN'T OWN A FIREARM
    May 2005
    7,543 Posts
    Okay, at this point he's even alienating some Christians.
    ...Really? All the other crazy bullshit? None of that was a warning sign?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,925 Posts
    Oh FUCK YOU Santorum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

12. Post #12
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,813 Posts
    Forget alienating voters, with this shit he's talking about alienating entire states.... if something like this were to pass, I sincerely hope progressive states whose laws would be nullified by a Constitutional amendment will consider formal secession.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    Jokes on him, transgendered marriages would still be valid .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 63 (list)

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    2,082 Posts
    holy shit. i've never seen a shittier batch of candidates for president ever.

this is just awful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 70 (list)

15. Post #15

December 2011
    343 Posts
    Hence why we all know he won't be the nominee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    596 Posts
    ..from this point, if he's gaining ANY more followers, they might at well advertise some more shit..

Vote for me and I'll put a cross over the door of the White House. :-)
    That and you can get an additional 50 points in farmville!! Vote now!

..that of which has nothing to do with GOVERNMENT AT ALL (you know, the one who's supposed to protect Constitutional laws and stuff? Remember those days?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    July 2009
    4,689 Posts
    Didn't this basically happen to a lot of US couples that married in Canada a while back?

Losing your touch, Rick

18. Post #18
    July 2009
    4,673 Posts
    Forget alienating voters, with this shit he's talking about alienating entire states.... if something like this were to pass, I sincerely hope progressive states whose laws would be nullified by a Constitutional amendment will consider formal secession.
    I actually actively wonder what would happen if there were a civil war between Republican and Democrat controlled states. (Basically West Coast and Upper East Coast vs Everyone else.)

I can't help but have the nagging fear that the Republicans would win by a zerg rush due to the comparatively small amount of initial land we occupy.

19. Post #19
    May 2005
    7,543 Posts
    I actually actively wonder what would happen if there were a civil war between Republican and Democrat controlled states. (Basically West Coast and Upper East Coast vs Everyone else.)

I can't help but have the nagging fear that the Republicans would win by a zerg rush due to the comparatively small amount of initial land we occupy.
    It would be this odd fight between remarkably well armed morons and their far more intelligent, but considerably less equipped neighbors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    October 2009
    9,426 Posts
    "We can't have 50 different marriage laws in this country," he said. "You have to have one marriage law."
    Well, he said one thing right, and that one law should be "no citizen can be denied the right to marry based on sexual orientation, ethnicity, or gender."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,357 Posts
    How is he a political candidate? Jesus Christ, I honestly can not comprehend his popularity. Every single word he says does nothing but harm already fragile world view of the United States. He is a moron of horrific quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

22. Post #22
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,813 Posts
    "Just because public opinion says something doesn't mean it's right," he said in the NBC interview. "I'm sure there were times in areas of this country when people said blacks were less than human."
    What is this.... oh god I can't even comprehend the logic here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2008
    4,193 Posts
    It would be this odd fight between remarkably well armed morons and their far more intelligent, but considerably less equipped neighbors.
    Would Sparta vs. Athens be a good comparison?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 16Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    I love Clinton and he was a great president, but he was a bit out of touch on LGBT issues and caused this shit.

25. Post #25
    May 2005
    7,543 Posts
    Well, he said one thing right, and that one law should be "no citizen can be denied the right to marry based on sexual orientation, ethnicity, or gender."
    Needs amendment status.

Though I question if it might be better the other way. Rather than telling people why they CAN'T restrict them, specify who CAN get married.

Something like "No two consenting currently unmarried adults can be denied the right to marriage" or something similar. Then, like most modern laws, clarify the various words used such as "Adults", or "consenting", or "unmarried" in order to further defeat any attempt to circumvent the protections.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    596 Posts
    That; and I don't know if anyone else knows, but I'm almost sure that marriage licenses in the USA have some fine, fancy print somewhere that claims something like [any thing that a marriage produces belongs to the government]..

So congratulations to you if you're a proud owner of a marriage license and you have a kid; the government now owns it.

in other words, they're requiring permits and charging them when they are NOT neccessary - aka it's unconstitutional   

27. Post #27
    May 2005
    7,543 Posts
    Would Sparta vs. Athens be a good comparison?
    Hah, yeah, I suppose it would.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2011
    238 Posts
    ...I'm pretty sure you can't undo marriages (aside from divorce/annulment). That would fall under the clause of the Constitution that prohibits retroactive legislation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2005
    7,543 Posts
    I love Clinton and he was a great president, but he was a bit out of touch on LGBT issues and caused this shit.
    Whoa whoa whoa, no. NO.

Clinton knew EXACTLY what this would do. He wanted homosexuals in the military and completely equal rights. The REPUBLICANS wouldn't do it though. So, at risk of homosexuals being banned completely from the military (Republicans controlled congress), Clinton used the only card in his hand and managed to swing Don't Ask Don't Tell because, again, the alternative was a full blown ban. Don't Ask Don't Tell was basically a means to prevent witch hunts from occurring and to give homosexual service members a chance to continue on in the military.

Clinton knew precisely what was happening. Blame the Republicans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Informative Informative x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    6,430 Posts
    I have nothing to say, other than that this guy is nothing other than a complete fucking dumbass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    ...I'm pretty sure you can't undo marriages (aside from divorce/annulment). That would fall under the clause of the Constitution that prohibits retroactive legislation.
    That's funny. You think that he believes in the constitution.

Edited:

Whoa whoa whoa, no. NO.

Clinton knew EXACTLY what this would do. He wanted homosexuals in the military and completely equal rights. The REPUBLICANS wouldn't do it though. So, at risk of homosexuals being banned completely from the military (Republicans controlled congress), Clinton used the only card in his hand and managed to swing Don't Ask Don't Tell because, again, the alternative was a full blown ban. Don't Ask Don't Tell was basically a means to prevent witch hunts from occurring and to give homosexual service members a chance to continue on in the military.

Clinton knew precisely what was happening. Blame the Republicans.
    I was talking about DOMA.

32. Post #32
    July 2009
    5,710 Posts
    the day santorum somehow gets elected is the day i haul ass to mexico
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,187 Posts
    Santorum is a dick.
    Sure, it's fine to have your own personal opinions, but you don't force other people to abide by them.

34. Post #34
    I should get gay married, just to piss him off.

Did anyone else just read that closed thread saying Republicans don't force values down peoples' throats?
    yeah but that thread was right
       [B]But it only applies to social conservative christians[/B]   

35. Post #35
    July 2009
    4,673 Posts
    Same thing with NDAA for Obama. The Bill received a sweltering amount of support well above the 2/3 requirement to override a Presidential Veto. If Clinton vetoed it, he would have jeopardized any further political action on his part by essentially picking a fight with Republicans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,864 Posts
    My god a new level of retardation has to be crafted by this man.

Rick Santardation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,641 Posts
    why hasn't someone killed this guy yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    12,356 Posts
    is he trying to become the worst of the republicans or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2011
    1,186 Posts
    I got even more overkill ways for santorum to die: Crash the ISS into Santorum's house. or just crash it into the moon so Gingrich gets his moonbase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    May 2005
    7,543 Posts
    That's funny. You think that he believes in the constitution.

Edited:

DOMA was tied back into getting the budget functional. It was Clinton giving the Republicans a cookie so they would shut up just long enough for what he needed to pass to pass. It also had too much support to veto, so by signing it, rather than being a child and refusing, he could gain some goodwill to burn at a later date.

That is pretty much how all of Clinton's presidency worked. I use DADT as an example because it is so clean cut. If you look at a list of shit passed, all sorts of concessions were made because Clinton had priorities and didn't try to fight on all fronts. He accepted losses that wouldn't cripple the country in order to advance things which would further us politically and economically. He was a master of playing the big picture and it is why he ultimately got the budget balanced without destroying any major services. It was a hell of a trick.

Had Bush not raped it all to hell, we'd be great right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)