View Poll Results: Is underage drinking bad?

Voters
921. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it isn't bad. I did it, and I turned out okay.

434 47.12%
  • I'm indifferent or I don't care.

260 28.23%
  • It's bad. Screws you up, and those who do try to be cool.

227 24.65%
  1. Post #1
    January 2012
    689 Posts
    Here's a topic a lot of people seem to have an opinion on.

Is underage drinking bad? Are the people who do it trying to be cool?

I'll give you my two cents - I'm 13 and I drink. Not often, but once or twice a month. Not heavily, either - just enough to get tipsy and make everything funnier. I get excellent grades, am on honor roll, principals list, and recently won a math competition. If underage drinking is so bad, then why am I still a good kid?

Just my opinion, though. I know underage drinking fucks some people up.

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    December 2009
    542 Posts
    Fuck no its not bad! How come as a US Army Infantryman I can easily get shot or blown up during deployment but I can't drink? How much sense does that make?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,937 Posts
    Bad poll options, there's a lot more to it than Yes, No, and Maybe.

If you can handle it and it doesn't effect your life in an overall negative way then I guess go for it.

I've done it, and I don't think it's a very smart idea though.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,866 Posts
    You'll gain more perspective on this as you grow older, but concepts like 'bad' and 'good' and 'cool' are all just silly and have nothing to do with reality. In reality, there is a consequence to every action. All of the things you do now, and how you deal with the consequences of those actions, that's what makes you who you are, that's what defines your life.

Drinking is fun when you're young and you've not really had it before, but over time and with experience, it eventually either gets old and you slow down, or it gives way to alcoholism. By that, I mean, either you take responsibility and learn moderation and self control, or you don't.

5. Post #5
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,798 Posts
    This really depends.

In the US, people can drive once they turn 16. Now, you may say that America is full of dumb people, but the education for things related to driving is much, much better, and people are more well informed about that, most teenagers know the risks.

Here, in Brazil, there's lots of underages who drive, and most of them end up causing accidents or not driving carefully at all. It isn't as developed as the US, most people are just dumber than there, and making driving at 16 legal would be crazy.

It's the same with drinking. IMO, depending on the country, it's perfectly fine.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,429 Posts
    It's a maturity thing. Kids who are even worse than 21 year olds at making decisions shouldn't be handling something that could potentially get them into a really bad situation.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with drinking, and I'm sure a bunch of 15 year olds drinking a controlled amount at home would be fine, but that's not always going to be the case.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,820 Posts
    The problem is, a lot of stupid people don't act with caution while drinking, no matter what their age.
    A problem induced by drinking too heavily at a younger age could seriously impact the rest of your life.

8. Post #8
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,010 Posts
    I don't like any drinking, so I obviously am not a fan of underage drinking. That said, the drinking age should be lowered to 16 (for low alcohol content stuff, and you can't purchase - only consume) because I feel that the biggest driving factor for it is (apart from peer pressure) it being super cool and illegal. Teach them that it's okay to drink responsibly and in moderation rather than binge drinking.
    It's the same thing with sex education, really.

9. Post #9
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,507 Posts
    I've been drinking since I was 12. I don't drink that much at all to be honest, I've just been doing it for a long time. Do I do it to look cool? No. Do I do it with my friends? Sometimes. It's not about age but it's about maturity. I'm probably the most mature right now as I ever will be. I don't think it's bad nor do I think it should be allowed because if people want to drink at a party, they will be doing it no matter what.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,263 Posts
    i honestly dont even see why it's an issue. i should be able to do what i want with my body and 21 is the worst age to arbitrarily set the drinking age to.

11. Post #11
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,798 Posts
    i honestly dont even see why it's an issue. i should be able to do what i want with my body and 21 is the worst age to arbitrarily set the drinking age to.
    it's an issue because the majority of underage people don't have the maturity to deal with such things (or, at least, that's what the media says)

like Shadaez said, I think it should be legal, for low alcohol drinks, I'm not quite sure not being able to purchase is a good thing, though

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,365 Posts
    I have several friends that have expensive Minor In Possession charges. One friend has a ticket for $400 that he's fighting in court because he was caught with an empty bottle.

13. Post #13
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,619 Posts
    i don't even like the taste of any kind of alcohol and im 17 i don't get how people younger then me adapted to the taste though

14. Post #14
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,798 Posts
    i don't even like the taste of any kind of alcohol and im 17 i don't get how people younger then me adapted to the taste though
    it's mostly for the feeling, rather than the taste

weed makes you feel good, but the smoking part sucks

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,001 Posts
    I'm indifferent. The age limit is arbitrary, and people over 21 are just as capable of doing dumbshit things while drunk as people below 21.

The only reason I support the drinking age is that IMO, teenager's judgement is already shitty without the influence of booze.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,263 Posts
    it's mostly for the feeling, rather than the taste

weed makes you feel good, but the smoking part sucks
    um smoking weed is fine.

17. Post #17
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,798 Posts
    um smoking weed is fine.
    uh? I mean, if it was possible to get the feeling of smoking weed without actually smoking it, it'd be much better **of course this is only hypothetical and I'm using it for an example
    just like with alcohol, most underage drinkers don't like the taste, but it's a needed process to get the feeling of being drunk

18. Post #18
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,904 Posts
    um smoking weed is fine.
    I don't see where he said otherwise.

19. Post #19
    November 2011
    16 Posts
    I'm sixteen, and a few times I've taken a couple of sips from my dad's vodka or scotch. I've never gotten too tipsy, mainly because I only drink a little and I weigh ninety kilograms. I think if you have it in moderation, you'll be fine.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,263 Posts
    I don't see where he said otherwise.
    I didn't realize it came out that way till now. I meant the act of smoking I don't see how it's bad as in unpleasing.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    4,138 Posts
    I don't really care what people do to themselves drinking wise as long as they are not driving drunk and not endangering others.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,716 Posts
    I feel like the drinking age is there to protect the majority of the idiotic youth.

Take, for example, my roommate. We're both 19 (in college) and while I personally don't plan on drinking much (I don't like alcoholic beverages in general), my roommate does drink.
    But here's the kicker: he's more responsible than most of the "adults" I know.
    He's essentially a goddamned alcohol (mostly wine) connoisseur. He loves pairing wines and cheeses, and any other alcohol+food combos.
    He never gets drunk. He drinks because he enjoys the taste.

Now, the idiots 2 rooms down from us, they're another story. They get high at least every other day (I don't care about them smoking weed on the weekends, but when they do it all the time and they've got 7/8 o clock classes the next day, they're getting out of control), and get absolutely shit-faced every weekend. Their dorm is constantly in a mess, and the one decent roommate they have is always using our bathroom after the puke all over theirs (always missing the toilet).

Is it hilarious to watch them in their drunken/high stupors?
    Shit yes it is.

Is it retarded?
    Yeah.

They're the reason drinking laws are in place.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,000 Posts
    It's not the best thing you can do. It can effect your development.
    But if you're brought up having it as a normal thing in moderation then there's nothing wrong with it.
    As long as they don't over drink.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,193 Posts
    Even thought I am completely against smoking/drinking, I care little for other people's choices in this regard (except smokers everywhere, but that's another subject). However, this world doesn't need any more young alcoholics (plenty of them around already).

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    Well, you have to drink if you want to live.

Or are you talking about alcohol?

If by bad you mean dangerous...
    I first had alcohol, in the form of wine, when I was about 5 or 6 years old. My mom would let me have a sip of wine every once in awhile. Small amounts of alcohol won't harm a child. Infact, people used to drink alcohol instead of water, since you had to boil water before consuming it because of bacteria and diseases.

I'm still not of drinking age and I'll have a beer or some liquor every once in awhile.

I'm assuming you mean teen alcoholism, though.
    The problem lies in moderation.
    A lot of teens don't know how to limit themselves. Getting drunk and partying is ok, but if you do it to the point of becoming an alcoholic, then you certainly do have a problem.
    Adults also are prone to alcoholism, but I think teens are a bit more susceptible to it do to various circumstances.

I don't think underage drinking is a huge problem. I've had my fair share of alcohol induced fun.
    I think it's okay to do, but I wouldn't encourage anybody to do it.
    And it doesn't make you cool to be an alcoholic.

26. Post #26
    November 2010
    2,262 Posts
    Considering drinking is such a common social event for adults, I'd way it's damn near essential kids drink before they turn 18 to learn its effects on the body and mind, how to use it responsibly and to find their limits. Otherwise what happens is they go "YAY IM 18 I CAN DRINK" and then not knowing their limits or how it affects judgement they either do incredibly stupid shit that lands them in jail or ruins their social life or they get themselves killed.

27. Post #27
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    Pretty stupid to drink underage. I'd wait till you're fully grown/mature. After all, it's a legal drug.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,263 Posts
    Pretty stupid to drink underage. I'd wait till you're fully grown/mature. After all, it's a legal drug.
    what's stupid about it. who are you to determine what is underage

29. Post #29
    Gold Member

July 2007
    3,306 Posts
    what's stupid about it. who are you to determine what is underage
    Children and teenagers are stupid. They drink far too much, and often can't control themselves. I personally don't drink, I don't see the appeal, but I think it's fine if people drink in moderation. However most underage drinkers don't do so. They drink to get drunk, then wind up in the hospital getting their stomach pumped or passed out in their own vomit after getting absolutely shitfaced.

30. Post #30
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,336 Posts
    Depends how much you drink and how often.

If you Binge drink 24/7 then you're going to have some problems with your health

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,263 Posts
    Children and teenagers are stupid. They drink far too much, and often can't control themselves. I personally don't drink, I don't see the appeal, but I think it's fine if people drink in moderation. However most underage drinkers don't do so. They drink to get drunk, then wind up in the hospital getting their stomach pumped or passed out in their own vomit after getting absolutely shitfaced.
    Riddle me this:
    so i go to a party last night and get pretty drunk, have a good time. everyone stayed safe, slept at the party and left when they were sober. nobody was out of control or anything. almost all of us are underage but what's wrong with that?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,609 Posts
    I started drinking when I was about 12-13, not heavily and not every weekend but I did start young. That was ten years ago and during this time I have never suffered anything worse than the occasional bad hangover (no trips to the hospital or anything), it all depends on your attitude towards drinking. I can see why they have a legal age limit for drinking but I would be lying if I said I stuck to it.

33. Post #33
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,756 Posts
    When you say "underage drinking" people think 16-18yo in places where the drinking age is 18, and 18-21yo where it is 21.

OP is jsut trying to be cool by being 13 and getting wasted. That will fuck you up. I drank when I was 16 occasionaly, and about one every 3-4 weeks when I was 17. At 18 now, I still drink the same as when I was 17

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    653 Posts
    I think the drinking age should be 16, and make it you can only buy spirits and shit at 18. Here it is 18 for all alcohol and people started getting less drunk after they turned 18 because it is legal, and you can do it any time, so there's not as much reason to get really drunk. Whereas when you're 15 it's a much bigger deal so you try to make the most of it by drinking more.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,269 Posts
    Eh, I'm a little so-so on the subject.
    It's not terrible to drink when you're underage, going to parties and getting drunk is pretty common as a teenager. I'm by no means a good example of someone that didn't drink, I don't do it that often, but when I do I drink I'm like a sponge and I enjoy vodka straight from the bottle. What's bad about underage drinking is simply all the idiots who do dumb shit when they're drunk, people who continuously surpass their limit and lose control of their actions.

When you're younger you're more likely to give in to peer pressure and do dumb shit, many are not very responsible with how they drink and can end up either being taken advantage of or vandalizing shit. Now being an adult does not automatically make you mature enough to never do these things, but it makes you mature enough to be more aware of these risks and more cautious to avoid them. Furthermore... the less people who drink alcohol, the less the government usually have to spend large amounts of money on repairing vandalization.

36. Post #36
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,969 Posts
    Growing up learning that alcohol is just a normal every day thing and not some MYSTICAL ADULT FLUID THAT ONLY ADULTS DRINK is the way to go imo.

Stops kids from going "HOLY SHIT ALCOHOL!!!!!" when they turn 18 and drinking way too much.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,303 Posts
    Really depends. All my friends who drink alcohol started when they were like 16, but most of them are responsible enough. They're now 18+, but way out of control compared to earlier. They'll do stupid shit, regret it, say they won't drink that much again but do it anyways. Pretty normal. A girl I was in class with in the 11th grade drank so much she had to be pumped at the hospital. This was mainly because everyone else around her was drinking so she felt she had to as well.

Really depends on the person. I guess I'm indifferent.

38. Post #38
    April 2010
    3,336 Posts
    Nothing wrong with it, don't kids in Italy grow up drinking wine? I think starting earlier on is better because you don't drink to excess when you're older and try it for the first time and think "holy shit imma get smashed".

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    13,269 Posts
    Nothing wrong with it, don't kids in Italy grow up drinking wine? I think starting earlier on is better because you don't drink to excess when you're older and try it for the first time and think "holy shit imma get smashed".
    Italian kids are taught to enjoy it for the taste though, how many underage people usually start drinking because they enjoy the taste rather than because everyone else is drinking and they want to get drunk and have fun.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,673 Posts
    It's a fact of having a legal drinking age that people below it will circumvent it. That's why i'd rather have options open for younger people to drink in a controlled environment such as a pub under the supervision of their parents or something. If you teach them good drinking habits problems associated with binge drinking will probably be reduced