1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    745 Posts
    [RELEASE]
    The old thread got closed due to the post limit, so here's a new one with a bit more information.

The official beta testing has started. If you want to participate, join the aftermath steam community group and read the "Download" part in this post!

Steam Community Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gmaftermath

Servers

If you play for the first time, I recommend you join server #1 (The one running gm_atomic)

Media

Download
    There's no download for the whole gamemode yet, since it's not done yet.
    You can, however, download the content that you need to play on the servers:
    Link to svn repository: http://aftermath-rpg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
    There are plenty of tutorials on how to use svn. I recommend using TortoiseSVN as client.
    You'll have to do the checkout on your main garrysmod directory ("../Steam/SteamApps/yoursteamname/garrysmod/garrysmod/")
    TortoiseSVN, as well as some other clients, will try to create a subdirectory called "aftermath-rpg" for the svn. Make sure this does not happen:

(Remove that part from the path)

Once you've made sure of that, there shouldn't be any problems. You're good to go when it has finished downloading the files.
    The size of the svn is about 3.1GB, so make sure you have enough space for that.

Gameplay
    The gameplay is simple. You can gain new perks and skills by leveling up. Experience is gained by killing enemies, doing quests and some other things.
    You can find companions, fight boss enemies, start fights with other players or explore the wasteland and find hidden caches.
    Any progress you're making is saved periodically on the server. You can leave at any time and your characters will be exactly as you've left him when you rejoin. You can have a total amount of 3 different characters.
    You can also travel between servers and keep your stats by using the transition points you can find on the map.

FAQ
    Q: Is there an estimated release date?
    When it's done. Not sure if that will ever happen.

Q: What maps will be used?
    For now there's only support for gm_atomic and aftm_apocalypse_a1 (A modified version of rp_apocalypse).

Q: Will the weapons and SNPCs be released seperately from the gamemode?
    No, most likely not. The weapons wouldn't be useable in any other gamemode anyway.

Q: Is it a third-person or first-person gamemode?
    Both, you can switch between first-person and third-person just like in Fallout 3/Oblivion. (By using the scroll wheel)

Q: What games is this gamemode influenced by?
    Mostly by Fallout 3 / New Vegas, however there are some elements from other games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Dark Messiah and Sin Episodes: Emergency
    [/RELEASE]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Lua King x 60Dumb x 4Winner x 2Useful x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,981 Posts
    Amazing work as always, I'm suprised that the servers aren't always full.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Trans genders are gays with mental dis orders
    Dennab
    January 2012
    3,881 Posts
    No, most likely not. The weapons wouldn't be useable in any other gamemode anyway
    Not to be a dick or anything but I actually looked at your weapon system from .dua files, and I actually managed to reverse engineer it and build my own system (From scratch) based on it, it works very similarly to yours.

Keep up the fantastic work, I'll be looking forward to this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny x 12Lua King x 3Dumb x 3Zing x 1Disagree x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    May 2011
    35 Posts
    Amazing..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5

December 2011
    13 Posts
    80% more dragons ? I hope the last 20% will be ponies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Dumb x 61Funny x 5Optimistic x 3Agree x 3Winner x 1Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,587 Posts
    This gamemode looks amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    No Idea how this doesn't get as much attention as Tiramisu and clockwork. Amazing!

and drama free..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,981 Posts

Intense groincrushing action.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 9Winner x 4Dumb x 2Lua King x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2010
    159 Posts
    when I saw those dragons I shat my pants my penis got smaller
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10

December 2011
    17 Posts
    When will you be done!! I want to run on my server!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    8==== ===== ===== ===== ===D
    Dennab
    April 2008
    4,831 Posts
    aftermath

the perfect gamemode that never got the attention it deserved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2009
    6,220 Posts
    aftermath

the perfect gamemode that never got the attention it deserved
    To be fair, it's a large download. When I tried it a few months ago (when the gm_atomic map was still used) I found very little to do. It was grinding upon grinding with nothing else. I'm sure it's grown since then, but it's the reason I didn't play as much as I wish I had. The gamemode is amazing in terms of functionality, but what I feel it really lacks is meat. Quests, factions, things that can make it much better in terms of replayability. It feels very much like Underdone in the regard that it's fun until a certain point. I love Aftermath, but there just needs to be more sustenance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,981 Posts
    So I've gotten to level 35 and have slain two dragons so far, I just wish that people would take interest and join.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    mvr
    August 2008
    801 Posts
    I hope the snpcs are still coming to sandbox
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    So I've gotten to level 35 and have slain two dragons so far, I just wish that people would take interest and join.
    it's not that they aren't interested it's the amount of content, it really is worth it to download it but your average person will shrug it off at the 3Gig content

Edited:

I hope the snpcs are still coming to sandbox
    ? there is snpcs for sandbox?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    February 2009
    1,355 Posts
    ? there is snpcs for sandbox?
    He meant the SNPCs used in Aftermath.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,981 Posts
    No, most likely not. The weapons wouldn't be useable in any other gamemode anyway.
    From the OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    February 2012
    34 Posts
    This is probably the most effort I've ever seen put into a gamemode, wonderful work good sir!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19

January 2012
    12 Posts
    I can't connect or favourite any of the servers. I've tried it with and without the port included several times and it didn't work. Am I doing anything wrong or are the servers down?

EDIT: I just joined the Steam group. Was there a whitelist?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

20. Post #20
    ~blue 4evr~
    October 2009
    10,765 Posts
    Trying to install the beta, but how do I perform an SVN Checkout with the new TortoiseSVN? The "SVN Checkout" option wont show up

Edited:

Oh, nevermind. Got it to work!

Edited:

Oh, nevermind again, got this error trying to import

Server sent unexpected return value (405 Method Not Allowed) in response to
    MKACTIVITY request for '/svn/!svn/act/405f574c-5222-0d4b-9cba-9113f892b0e2'

Edited:

nevermind again ha, i should probably stop posting.

Edited:

Fuck another error..

Help?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,516 Posts
    Fuck another error..

Help?
    how is this supposed to tell us what the issue is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    ~blue 4evr~
    October 2009
    10,765 Posts
    Ehh I'm just doing a checkout on some folder then moving the files to the garrysmod/garrysmod folder instead. It didn't let me do a checkout on the garrysmod folder.

23. Post #23
    ~blue 4evr~
    October 2009
    10,765 Posts
    The servers are messed up. First when you joined nothing happens or shows up. You're stuck on a screen showing brahmin or the church. And now they are down or something, wont let me join.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24

December 2011
    27 Posts
    my game crashes every time im joining a server :(
    any fix?

Edited:

i managed to fix the game crashes but now when i join it says my svn is out dated and i did svn checkout like 12 hours ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Israel Show Events

25. Post #25
    February 2012
    1 Posts
    There are a lot of changes that can happen in 12 hours man, just update it. o.o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

December 2011
    27 Posts
    k im trying but because i have a broken svn it gives me error theres a way to remove old svns?
    (the svn is the Gmod tower svn)

Edited:

ok i just finished doing update and it weight 1.8GB is that right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Israel Show Events

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,630 Posts
    Wait, are my eyes decieving me, or are there actually PLAYERS on the servers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

28. Post #28
    July 2010
    866 Posts
    Ergh, hl2.exe crashes when joining the server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #29
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    Wait, are my eyes decieving me, or are there actually PLAYERS on the servers?

yeah, a group of like 10 of us get in teamspeak and play lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30

January 2012
    12 Posts
    It's on my favourites list... but the "connect" option is blacked/greyed out so I can't connect.

It looks so amazing, I just want to play!

EDIT: I can connect now. nevermind.

Double edit: I can't get into the server! When I first tried it said "Missing map: gm_atomic, so I downloaded the map, but now it says "you are missing the materials required to play this gamemode." and disconnects me. Can't you just make people download all this stuff when they join the server, like every other server in existence?

31. Post #31
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,276 Posts
    Downloading all the files through the server would take ages and doesn't REALLY work properly. It's not rocket science, svn checkout, get map, play game. Make sure you checkout in the right folder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,630 Posts
    It's 3 gigabytes big dude.
    Damn fourteen minutes ninjas!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33

January 2012
    12 Posts
    Nevermind, then. :/

34. Post #34
    mvr
    August 2008
    801 Posts
    Does any know why hlr wont show up in multiplayer?
    but for my friend (the admin) it does
    and by the way why are there skyrim snpcs in the spawnmenu in sandbox?
    The hlr stuff does show up in sp by the way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #35
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,276 Posts
    Somebody should make a detailed tutorial on installing the files..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,928 Posts
    If you can't install it you are really stupid

You just download the svn and put the folders from the svn into your root gmod folder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,981 Posts
    If you can't install it you are really stupid

You just download the svn and put the folders from the svn into your root gmod folder
    This is a simpler way if you don't understand the picture.

>Copy SVN link
    >Make new folder on your desktop, label it whatever you want, for me I labeled it "Aftermath"
    >Right click on the folder and select "SVN Checkout" and let the window pop up
    >Follow the image of the OP on where to place the checkout link.
    >Let the SVN download all the necessary files
    >Open the folder when done, it will have the folders "Addons" "Lua" "Particles" "Gamemodes" and such.
    >Take all of the folders and copy + paste them into garrysmod/garrysmod
    >Let the files overwrite any things if necessary.
    >Join the server

And if you want to get rid of the little notice of "SVN Version was been updated, update your SVN's" then update your folder on the desktop and navigate to lua > autorun > client and copy the file cl_svnversioncheck.lua and place it into garrysmod/garrysmod/lua/autorun/client/ and it should get rid of the notice once you rejoin. Usually Silverlan updates quite often with small patches in content, if you just want to continue playing without the notice and will patch it later, just follow those instructions.

Alternatively, just add someone who has the content working via steam and ask them for live help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    May 2011
    91 Posts
    I will host a United States server if you wish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39

July 2011
    7 Posts
    It's 3 gigabytes big dude.
    Damn fourteen minutes ninjas!
    and that's whats keeping me away from this beautiful looking mod.
    Ohey 1st post, after lurking for months..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #40

January 2012
    12 Posts
    What do I click on in the repository page to get the SVN menu to open up like that? Sorry for all the noob questions, its my first time using TortoiseSVN.