1. Post #1
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Earlier today we learned that Adam Adamowicz, one of the main concept artists behind Fallout 3, Skyrim and other Bethesda titles, passed away today. It was silently announced, but I'd like to shine some light on Adam because he was an anomaly in the game industry, a veritable one-man conceptual machine, who unlike his contemporary counterparts, did a majority of his work in non digital mediums. Fallout 3 was pretty much visually designed from the ground up by one humble man who got little to no recognition, nor sought it.

For those who are unaware, I also work in the videogame industry as a concept artist and often sought inspiration from what other conceptual designers were doing in the industry. Back when Fallout 3 was released, it came with a making of DVD showcasing how the game was built from the ground up. When Adam's art pit showed up in the video, with his own hand drawn art covering every inch of space from the ground up in his cubicle I was nothing short of blown away, and filled with inspiration.

Hearing him talk about how he approached visual design changed my mindset about how I approached concept art, it had a real effect on me. Seriously, just sit back and imagine how much work it took one man to design a world as vast as Fallout 3 over the course of its development. For most artists in this industry that would seem like an impossible feat! Adam had something special going on, and was committed to the vision that everyone around him had at Bethesda. The fact that the game industry has lost this bright mind is a major blow in my opinion, and through our little blog I hope to shed some light on an event that most gaming blogs couldn't care less about.

Please check out after the break to get a little spotlight on his legacy.

A quote from his Vault Diary, a great read for anyone interested in hearing how he approached various design challenges:

"Visualizing all of the aspects of a make believe world is quite an educational experience. On any given day I could be simultaneously learning about multiple topics, from motorcycle engines to 50ís fashion design. Itís kind of like writing and filming a National Geographic documentary film for an actual sci-fi world. For this job, I think the more you read on a wide variety of subjects, the better equipped you are to create depth and realism, especially for a fantasy setting. The fantastic thatís grounded in real world elements and then elaborated and exaggerated upon, seem to work the best, and create a solid jumping off point. This often creates fertile ground for generating additional story elements that can influence costumes, machines, and even motives for the various personalities inhabiting a made up world.

Seeing Syd Mead lecture in SF was an incredibly profound lesson on design. During the Q&A I asked him how far he went on a design to make it technically believable. His advice was Ďto design with the story in mind and stay consistent with ití. Hence I learned that the Sulacco from Aliens is essentially a massive gun in space with a big nuclear reactor at one end which beautifully fits the theme of space marines exploring a planet infested with deadly hostile aliens. That answer freed me obsessing over minutiae that diverges story-wise, and focus on the broad strokes that propel the story. The addition of ensuing consistent minutiae would give it richness."

Jump to 45 seconds in to see his part in the Fallout 3 documentary.
    Just a small selection of art that he created just for Fallout 3. The quantity, and quality of work he produced was nothing short of mind blowing.

Rest in peace, Adam.
    In conclusion please let your friends know, especially if they enjoyed Fallout 3, to take a minute tomorrow to honor someone who helped bring us so many hours of joy via the world he created for us. He will be missed.
    Source, with photos of his concept art for FO3
    :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 162 (list)

2. Post #2
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,262 Posts
    If only it wasn't him but some engine coders instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Funny x 98Dumb x 5Agree x 3Disagree x 1Useful x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,631 Posts
    Fuck. He was (and still is) a huge inspiration for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    If only it wasn't him but some engine coders instead.
    John Carmack then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 40 (list)

5. Post #5
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,262 Posts
    John Carmack then?
    I meant anybody responsible for gamebryo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,578 Posts
    Aw man, it always sucks to see such a creative mind pass. My condolences to his friends and family. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,113 Posts
    This is really weird and upsetting. I reinstalled Fallout 3 today just at random, felt like playing it again and now I read this. He's been a real inspiration to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,872 Posts
    Sad to see talented people die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,118 Posts
    Brilliant artist, sad to see he's passed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    LIVE LIKE A WINDRAMMER AS YOU FUCK
    June 2010
    5,792 Posts
    That sucks. Fallout 3 and Skyrim are pretty beautiful.

How'd he die?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,378 Posts
    Erm, I hadn't read the title properly and then watched the video. I read the title again and honestly, I'm shocked. This guys concept art is really an inspiration...

How did he die? Maybe I misread, but it's not mentioned.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    How did he die? he looks way too young to die of old age.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,001 Posts
    I'm going to take a guess it was heart disease since he wasn't very old.

This is sad, his artwork is great.

14. Post #14
    February 2010
    16,312 Posts
    Shame about his passing, Fallout 3 in particular had some really interesting concept art.

15. Post #15
    November 2010
    657 Posts
    I'm going to take a guess it was heart disease since he wasn't very old.

This is sad, his artwork is great.
    How did he die? he looks way too young to die of old age.
    How did he die? Maybe I misread, but it's not mentioned.
    If what I'm reading is true, he died from some rare form of cancer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 18Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    September 2005
    1,391 Posts
    What a shame.

17. Post #17
    October 2009
    2,177 Posts
    I'm interested to see how this will effect the visuals of future Bethesda games.

That sucks man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    I loved that book of concept art that came with Fallout 3. I didn't realize that the majority of it was his work.

19. Post #19
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,666 Posts
    Oh sweet, I still have my lunchbox.

I loved the artbook that came with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Beverage Bandit
    November 2005
    19,210 Posts
    aww thats too bad. his work was really good (but unfortunately not realized too good)

21. Post #21
    December 2009
    3,064 Posts
    Ive been a fan of him for a long time without knowing :(
    R.I.P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    February 2010
    1,404 Posts
    What a shame. He was a good man. What a rotten way to die.

23. Post #23
    May 2011
    1,572 Posts
    Fuck, I still have his artwork somewhere on the shelves. It's sad to see someone talented die for no good reason.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,743 Posts
    While Gamebryo is a piece of shit, I always liked the art direction of Fallout 3 and NV. Really sad to see that he passed away.

25. Post #25
    December 2007
    786 Posts
    I loved this guys art, I have a feeling that the next Bethesda game just wont be the same without him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

September 2011
    251 Posts
    Rest in Peace, Adam!

27. Post #27
    Glory To Victotzka
    November 2010
    1,254 Posts
    Rest In Peace mate, you've done some awesome shit.

28. Post #28
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    I'm interested to see how this will effect the visuals of future Bethesda games.

That sucks man.
    for bethesda he only did the concept art for fallout 3 and skyrim (or at least that's all he's credited for, he might have minor work in other games) which is really concerning because fallout 3 and skyrim are the only games they've ever released that are legitimately pretty

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,355 Posts
    god dammit, he had one of the coolest concept arts.
    i don't know what i'll be seeing for a new fallout game now, with him not there giving his great concept art. i don't know if it'll be good or bad, and i don't know if they'll hire someone bad or good. i'm worried both for the game series and the company

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,547 Posts
    Why do bad things have to happen to good people.

31. Post #31
    November 2011
    71 Posts
    Adam Adamowicz...what a badass name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,169 Posts
    *joke about sovngarde*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)