1. Post #1
    Fudders
    September 2010
    3,306 Posts

Specs

• 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 2640M Processor
    • 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory
    • 17.3" LED Backlit Display (1920x1080)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M with NVIDIA Optimus Technology 2GB Dedicated GDDR5 Video Memory
    • Built-in HD Webcam
    • Integrated 60Wh Battery
    • 250GB SSD Storage
    • Wireless Network 802.11 b/g/n Compatible
    • Battery: 6 hours idle, 2 1/2 if playing "hardcore" game.
    • 16.81" (Width) x 10.9" (Depth) x 0.88" (Height); 6.97lbs (Weight)

Not exactly mind-blowing specs, but then that's not what the Razer Blade is all about. As the company likes to point out, the Razer Blade is about portability and convenience more than it is about power. At less than an inch thick and weighing in at around six pounds, this is the most portable 17 inch gaming laptop around.

Now let's see how the most portable 17 inch gaming laptop around performed, shall we?

League of Legends: The Razer Blade is a monster when it comes to Riot Games' ridiculously popular multiplayer online battle arena game. Then again so is my $500 Best Buy laptop — League of Legends isn't exactly a resource-intensive title. It just looks much better on the Blade's large and lovely screen. With settings maxed and shadows on high I got a uniform 60 frames per second, by far the best performance of all the games I tried. It's also one of the only games I could recommend using the Blade's built-in Switchblade touchpad user interface to control — anything more action-intensive cries out for an external mouse. Luckily the Blade comes packed with one.

Battlefield 3: I was frightened about running Battlefield 3 on the Blade, worried I might hurt its delicate innards. Indeed attempting to run it on Ultra settings was like transforming the beautiful black box into the world's most expensive slide projector. Thankfully the issue righted itself with one simple step down to High settings, running at a relatively constant 30 frames per second, more than enough for me to get my ass shot off.

It bears noting that running anything more demanding than League of Legends generated a fair amount of heat under the unit. I've not had any problems arise from rising temperatures yet, but it does get quite uncomfortable when attempting to play with the unit in my lap. Well, first it gets nice. Then it gets uncomfortable. Or maybe it's just uncomfortable for everybody now. MOVING ON...

Star Wars: The Old Republic: BioWare's massively multiplayer game in a galaxy far, far away seriously stuttered on any setting greater than Low. Mind you it plays like a dream on Low (or as much like a dream as The Old Republic can get), and is certainly good for a couple of quick quests or a flashpoint or two while sipping your coffee at Starbucks, where America goes to tech new technology.

The Witcher 2: Here's where I was expecting the Blade to really choke. Considering the problems my high-powered gaming desktop had running The Witcher 2 at launch, surely the Blade would trip over its own sword and fall on it here. Damn CD Projekt for their patches and fixes, ruining my fun. Again the Blade managed to perform admirably under all but the highest settings, though of course the lower the graphics the better the performance.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: It was in the wintry hills of Skyrim that the Blade struggled the most, low frame rates rearing their ugly heads until I set the game to low, and even then the heads were still mighty ugly. The Switchblade touchpad also exhibited extreme amounts of lag in the latest Elder Scrolls game, scrolling a lot like one would expect an elder to scroll; incredibly slowly.

Source

http://kotaku.com/5882721/putting-th...s-gaming-paces

Heathcliff Hatcher: Razer's director of product marketing,

"We believe if performance is all that matters, then a cheaper and more powerful desktop should be the way to go. If it's a laptop, then we sacrifice some performance (but it should still play games well) but portability is just as important. 0.88" thin and 6lbs with good performance in our view is better than 2-3" thick and 12-16lbs. Again, if someone just cares about performance we think Origin makes a phenomenal laptop and they should get it. But it's just a really different product type and we didn't intend it to be a straight up head to head benchmark – how do you benchmark how someone feels when they carry a Razer Blade vs. a traditional gaming laptop all day?"

Razer needs to cut out with this shit.

Update

Update: After some time spent troubleshooting technical issues with Razer, I discovered that for some reason my unit's NVIDIA graphics card was not engaging, leaving the poor onboard Intel card to attempt to handle games that it should never have touched. Once the good graphics card was actually working I was able to run Star Wars: The Old Republic on high with a satisfactory frame rate, Skyrim is actually playable (it auto-detects at Ultra High), and Battlefield 3 — well it still chugs on Ultra, but not quite as badly as it did before.
    Mike Fahey turns out to be a idiot. The laptop is still overpriced.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 167Late x 4Winner x 3Dumb x 2Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,864 Posts
    Razor = New Alienware.

Fuckers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 144 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    I saw that from a mile away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 67 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,748 Posts
    Looks like a failure. Who'd use a touchpad for gaming anyway, let alone a laptop?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 67Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Wow.. that is some SHITTY specs for a 2.8k laptop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 51 (list)

6. Post #6
    Head Poster
    April 2009
    1,764 Posts
    I just bought a new laptop from Xotic PC with FAR higher specs for $1000 (Though, no SSD).

You're really just paying for the portability and labeling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    485 Posts
    When will companies realize that laptops can't play games...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 62Disagree x 13Agree x 6Funny x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,482 Posts
    Hm, I would still like one because I dont play super graphic games like those, mostly source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    wow it was a stupid gimmick all along, when has razor ever done anything like that?

i actually have one that can play skyrim relatively well on medium-high settings, but all most gaming laptops are still overpriced to hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    Hm, I would still like one because I dont play super graphic games like those, mostly source.
    Don't pay $2,800 for this piece of shit and get a real laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2010
    9,894 Posts
    lol gimmicky piece of shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

12. Post #12
    Wait what, $2800? Would anyone seriously buy it at that price?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    1,355 Posts
    Why does anyone need to play games on a laptop?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Agree Agree x 10 (list)

14. Post #14
    January 2010
    9,894 Posts
    They can, just that this one's an overpriced piece of shit.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    because some people leave their basements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 74Agree x 7Disagree x 5Winner x 5Funny x 3Artistic x 2Informative x 2Optimistic x 2Dumb x 2Friendly x 1Useful x 1Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    9,894 Posts
    Portability. Easier to carry a laptop on vacation or to a LAN party than to bring a huge ass desktop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    June 2010
    6,311 Posts
    But they can. And as even this model shows, pretty hardware-hungry ones (not just flashgames). That the compactness imposes more architectural limits should be a given, but gaming laptops are very possible nowadays.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,392 Posts
    I don't get it, Skyrim should run fine with those specs.
    a core i7, a GT555 2gb, 8gb of RAM, and an SSD should be more than plenty, that doesn't make sense.
    Of course, it's ridiculously overpriced, but still.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #19
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,452 Posts
    Wait. A 17in MacBook Pro is cheaper than this.

holy fuck they managed to top the apple tax
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Head Poster
    April 2009
    1,764 Posts
    Ah, you're also paying for the customization keyboard, that was a major selling point apparently. Good for MMO's I suppose.

Portability. Easier to carry a laptop on vacation or to a LAN party than to bring a huge ass desktop.
    This is mainly why I bought my new laptop, I have lots of money to spare. I also have an external monitor / computer setup for at home long-session games.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    485 Posts
    But can only play for 10 minutes because the battery will run out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,364 Posts
    Ummmmmm what? There are many laptops well equipped for higher spec gaming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,305 Posts
    I have an Asus notebook that runs Skyrim on ultra with additional graphics mods at 30 fps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,831 Posts
    razer making shitty products what else is new
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    June 2008
    700 Posts
    It would be useful for me because I am constantly shifting houses and places where I live, transporting my computer and all its stuff gets old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,364 Posts
    It's called a power source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    January 2010
    9,894 Posts
    Most batteries will at least last 30 minutes and if they last any shorter than that's atrocious and you have something wrong with your laptop.

Also you don't always have to have your laptop unplugged.

28. Post #28
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,364 Posts
    razer making shitty products what else is new
    They also make very nice products. Like The Black Widow, and Imperator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29

August 2011
    772 Posts
    The same people that buy Mac's or Alienware...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

30. Post #30
    October 2007
    293 Posts
    It's much more convenient than hauling around a desktop every time you want to play games with friends.
    I got my laptop 3 years ago for ~$650 and it can play Skyrim on medium with at least 30 frames.

31. Post #31
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,364 Posts
    I would have considered investing in it, if it was actually good. But only because I can afford pointlessly expensive things.

32. Post #32
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    Sexy case, shit product.

Read: Apple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,855 Posts
    saw this one coming from a mile away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    January 2010
    9,894 Posts
    It would be useful for me because I am constantly shifting houses and places where I live, transporting my computer and all its stuff gets old.
    There are better, less gimmicky laptops you can get for a lower price.

Did you even read the article? lol

35. Post #35
    July 2010
    586 Posts
    Isn't this like the third time they've tried to "save PC gaming" with an overexpensive gadget?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Indeed attempting to run it on Ultra settings was like transforming the beautiful black box into the world's most expensive slide projector.
    100+ FPS on my desktop.
    Bitches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

37. Post #37
    Fudders
    September 2010
    3,306 Posts
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230142

$1,329.99 and blows this laptop out of the water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,366 Posts
    Razor needs to stick to scooters
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,267 Posts
    Leave their basements to play games?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 14Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    April 2011
    926 Posts
    and no one was surprised
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Puerto Rico Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)