1. Post #1
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    "It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
    -Socrates

"Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity."
    -John F. Kennedy

This is the general weightlifting/bodybuilding thread. Feel free to ask questions for exercises and such.

General tips:

Proper amount of reps in terms of ascertaining goals:
    strength ~1-5
    mass ~6-12
    endurance ~12+

In order see the optimum progress get a good amount of sleep and eat a lot of the right foods (if you have questions post your current diet and ask for advice accordingly).

Proper form is very important to lifting as well. Not only are you denying yourself the best possible work out by ignoring form but you are also putting yourself at risk for injury. If you have questions about form post videos of yourself for critique or you can try to ask, just be sure to explain yourself clearly or it won't do any good.

Monthly new thread, I mostly copied/pasted from Binksy's OP because yeah things are fine as is.

Here are the old threads:
    V. 1 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/100...uilding-Thread
    V. 2 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/106...n-here-u-mirin
    V. 3 http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1092941

Buy Supps from here
    http://www.truenutrition.com/

"why not just get it from true nutrition for cheaper........... and pick your own flavour out of like 50 . or just eat normal meat instead of being an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    -Casus

Read this thread FIRST if you are a beginner:

Shit you need to know because you are gay as fuark
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1094249

Oh, here's Casus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2007
    1,675 Posts
    Def
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    Strong lifts 5x5, If you don't do this program I will kill you.

Edited:

Dat new thread smell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #4
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,738 Posts
    curls/pushups in the squat rack 30x5

aesthetics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    Lol:

Lol

Lol

Lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,437 Posts
    The links to the old threads are no longer working. Besides V 3 obv.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    Jump rope = Burn body fat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2009
    693 Posts
    Strong lifts 5x5, If you don't do this program I will kill you.

Edited:

Dat new thread smell.
    Im not sure whether to do this or SS for my bulk....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Peru Show Events

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    I prefer SS. It doesn't make a real difference anyways, choose what you like most.

Also,

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/size-strength1.htm
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/size-strength2.htm

Brilliant reads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events

10. Post #10
    NotMeh works out at home.
    June 2009
    12,152 Posts
    first psot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,456 Posts
    1st page here I come

tomorrow is full-body friday, yay!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

12. Post #12
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    I prefer SS. It doesn't make a real difference anyways, choose what you like most.

Also,

Brilliant reads.
    First link isn't working for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts

14. Post #14
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    worst thread title ever!!! why not make it " i wanna look like the guy from fight club" instead >:[

Edited:

best routine for beginners is ( imo ) ss of the practical programming variety
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts

Also,

Brilliant reads.
    Some good points but he ripped some parts straight out from is ass.
    "Developing and increasing strength—for the majority of males past puberty—requires an increase in muscle mass (i.e. the development of “bigger” muscles). A small group of men are capable of developing strength with small increases in their muscle mass because their bodies are more “efficient” at lifting heavy weights. This group may not develop as much mass through their weight training. However, both groups need to increase their muscle mass to increase their maximal strength."

BTW how much can I expect to lose fluid weight if I stop using creatine? I've been using around 5 grams a day.

And another question. I hurt my shoulder during the weekend and it starts to hurt while doing shoulder press or bench. That's why I've done squats (hit 132,5kg yey) and deads and some random machines for the past two days. I feel like working out, but I can't do pushing exercises and if I work legs today, that'd be three days in a row. What should I do? I have no time to go to gym tomorrow so it'll be a rest day for sure. My legs are merely very slightly sore. Should I squat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

16. Post #16
    June 2009
    12,152 Posts
    I changed the title ~_~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

17. Post #17
    July 2009
    1,253 Posts
    Should I switch to one of those 5 x 5 workouts?
    I've been lifting for like 6 months now.

I'm currently doing this routine, and I've been doing it for 2 months now-

Monday: Chest/biceps
    4 sets Incline Dumbbell Press, 8-10 reps
    3 sets Bench Press, 8-10 reps
    3 sets Incline Flies, 8-10 reps
    3 sets Chest Dips until failure
    3 sets Barbell Curls, 8-10 reps
    3 sets Preacher Curls, 8-10 reps, then drop the weight to half, and push out another 8

Tuesday: Legs
    4 sets Squats 8-10 reps
    3 sets Lunges 8-10 reps
    3 sets Leg Press 8-10 reps
    3 sets Leg Extensions till failure
    3 sets Leg Curls 8-10 reps

Wednesday: Shoulders/triceps
    4 sets Shoulder Press, alternate with Barbell & Dumbell every week 8-10 reps
    3 sets Upright Rows supersetted with Lateral Raises 8-10 reps
    3 sets Front raises 8-10 reps
    3 sets Lying Rear Delt Raises 8-10 reps
    3 sets Close-Grip Bench Press 8-10 reps
    4 sets Pulldowns 8-10 reps
    3 sets Skullcrushers 8-10 reps

Thursday: Back
    3 sets Lat Pulldowns 8-10 reps
    4 sets Deadlifts 8-10 reps
    3 sets Bent Over Rows 8-10 reps
    3 sets Dumbell Rows 8-10 reps
    3 sets Hyperextensions 8-10 reps

Edited:

As for fullbody, I do wrestling one a week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,456 Posts
    needs more volume

and make sure to do 20+ reps on each set
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2009
    1,253 Posts
    noooooooooooooooooo

Edited:

dummmm twollll
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

20. Post #20
    June 2009
    12,152 Posts
    Stop
    trolling
    notmeh
    >:(
    And why would you do chest/bi on the same day but exclude tri/shoulder
    nigga you aint makin no sense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,037 Posts
    Arnold is numero uno.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Norway Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,838 Posts
    hi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    April 2011
    187 Posts
    massel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    I bench 175 weigh 138 and squat 275
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    931 Posts
    I hate it when I haven't realized the thread I've been reading has been closed and I open the saved tab like half a dozen times before realizing it's not of any use. Thread post limits suck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

27. Post #27
    October 2011
    930 Posts
    I hate it when I haven't realized the thread I've been reading has been closed and I open the saved tab like half a dozen times before realizing it's not of any use. Thread post limits suck.
    Not a limit, large threads get automatically closed each month
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Anonymous Proxy Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    Fuck I've been taking Creatine every day for the past while, But I can't remember when I started taking it.

Should I stop for a month or two?

29. Post #29
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,738 Posts
    Fuck I've been taking Creatine every day for the past while, But I can't remember when I started taking it.

Should I stop for a month or two?
    stop it before the effects take hold

my friend was on creatine for 2 months before he stabbed his family to death...with the creatine scoop. Please be safe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    To late man, OH FUCK.... shit everyones dead man what the FUCK.

Fuck this shit man, burning this shit down, can't leave clues.

31. Post #31
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    for some reason i cant fucking quote but @ itwasnicetoknow

do [release]Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps [/release]

for a couple of months until you have really good form and decent lifts, so like ~3-4 months and then you can try out mad cow intermediate

Edited:

BTW how much can I expect to lose fluid weight if I stop using creatine? I've been using around 5 grams a day.

And another question. I hurt my shoulder during the weekend and it starts to hurt while doing shoulder press or bench. That's why I've done squats (hit 132,5kg yey) and deads and some random machines for the past two days. I feel like working out, but I can't do pushing exercises and if I work legs today, that'd be three days in a row. What should I do? I have no time to go to gym tomorrow so it'll be a rest day for sure. My legs are merely very slightly sore. Should I squat?
    5-10 lbs of water and if your shoulder hurts you prob dont want to do squats ( unless its minor then you could ignore it i guess) unless you want to do armless squats. alot of leg stuff puts stress on the shoulder

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,992 Posts
    I'm in the fitness center at school now but I'm to pussy to attempt the bench press, it will get topped off with me looking like a jackass.

I need to practice with stuffed animals.

Once I figure out my how big of a loser I am I'll set up a proper workout.

Right now, I just do around 10 minutes of cardiovascular shit then circulate around leg press, ab crunch, and some other workouts so I can become familiar with them.

33. Post #33
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    do the routine i said in the above post u pussy start with the bar and slowly add weight until you find a working 5rm

Edited:

and whats your height and weight

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    Some good points but he ripped some parts straight out from is ass.
    "Developing and increasing strength—for the majority of males past puberty—requires an increase in muscle mass (i.e. the development of “bigger” muscles). A small group of men are capable of developing strength with small increases in their muscle mass because their bodies are more “efficient” at lifting heavy weights. This group may not develop as much mass through their weight training. However, both groups need to increase their muscle mass to increase their maximal strength."

He stated a fact. Every male on earth has experienced a simultaneous increase in both mass and strength when they first started. The "science" of hypertrophy, on one leg, is that when it occurs it's when the body is unable to cope, so it evolves. So basically, he was right. There is an obvious relation between the two.

The reason I like this, is because this talks about me. I haven't gained an ounce since I have started lifting for strength.

Now, about your shoulder, give it more rest. I'd say ditch squat for another week.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,314 Posts
    Well i doubt an average joe's muscle contraction capability and energy production could be at its physical maximum level without training. I'm pretty sure there's another reason for why people gain so much muscle when they begin training.

He talks about me too then. I switched from 3x8-12 to 5x5's just around a month ago and my 5 rep squat went up 12.5 kilos, and I've been maintaining the same body weight all the time. And that can't be noob gains anymore, and my technique hasn't changed radically either. And I know lots of guys too from my gym who've gained lots of strength without gaining mass (mainly no mass because they're afraid of getting fat and don't eat much, but some aim for pure strength for wrestling and competing).

Squat is pretty much the only workout that does not make the shoulder it hurt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,456 Posts
    Anyone else here absolutely hate working arms?

fuck them curls man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    January 2012
    289 Posts
    in a month or two people will be posting shit loads about wanting to look good for summer and never read the op of this thread but will click it because subtitle :'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,334 Posts
    Well i doubt an average joe's muscle contraction capability and energy production could be at its physical maximum level without training. I'm pretty sure there's another reason for why people gain so much muscle when they begin training.

He talks about me too then. I switched from 3x8-12 to 5x5's just around a month ago and my 5 rep squat went up 12.5 kilos, and I've been maintaining the same body weight all the time. And that can't be noob gains anymore, and my technique hasn't changed radically either. And I know lots of guys too from my gym who've gained lots of strength without gaining mass (mainly no mass because they're afraid of getting fat and don't eat much, but some aim for pure strength for wrestling and competing).

Squat is pretty much the only workout that does not make the shoulder it hurt.
    Not sure where you grabbed the first paragraph, but this subject is pretty complex, and it's not 100% understood.

Without knowing your reasons, I'd guess and say you probably maxed, as he said, the amount of mass you could acquire in your previous program, so the reason you are gaining with the new program doesn't contradict what he said, it explains it. Gained maximum mass in conjunction to the amount of strength you had using your previous program... you get how it works according to him.

Also, the fact you gained 12.5kg is pretty normal for a routine you switched to a month ago. This could be your cns doing it's magic, or sub-maximal weights etc.

And I highly doubt getting fat is a requirement. It's a requirement for beginners maybe, because they can't understand what REALLY EATING means.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ukraine Show Events

39. Post #39
    January 2010
    365 Posts
    REALLY EATING
    The Saxon Trio's diet; Arthur Saxon is their most famous member. He reached 200lbs, pre-roid era.

"For breakfast they ate 24 eggs and 3 pounds of smoked bacon; porridge with cream, honey, marmalade and tea with plenty of sugar. At three o'clock they had dinner: ten pounds of meat was consumed with vegetables (but not much potatoes); sweet fruits, raw or cooked, sweet cakes, salads, sweet puddings, cocoa and whipped cream and very sweet tea. Supper, after the show, they had cold meat, smoked fish, much butter, cheese and beer. Following this they had a chat and at one o'clock went to bed."

taken from Chaos and Pain

Just show this to every skinny fucker crying that he can't gain muscle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2009
    1,253 Posts
    for some reason i cant fucking quote but @ itwasnicetoknow

do [release]Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps [/release]

for a couple of months until you have really good form and decent lifts, so like ~3-4 months and then you can try out mad cow intermediate

Edited:

5-10 lbs of water and if your shoulder hurts you prob dont want to do squats ( unless its minor then you could ignore it i guess) unless you want to do armless squats. alot of leg stuff puts stress on the shoulder
    I'll try that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events