1. Post #1
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,186 Posts
    I killed the last thread by accident, sorry.
    This is yet another thread for your silly little questions that don't deserve a thread as well as general discussion.
    (Would anyone write me a proper OP?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,242 Posts
    Gentoo

Edited:

To answer your question
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2005
    7,186 Posts
    Gentoo

Edited:

To answer your question
    I'd rather not compile most of the system on my laptop's poor little 1.6 ghz processor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,719 Posts
    I'd rather not compile most of the system on my laptop's poor little 1.6 ghz processor.
    Get a USB stick and fill it with distro's until it's full.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,090 Posts
    I posted a thread you guys might want to visit.
    Linux users are basically the target audience since it's the only platform the project is confirmed to 100% compile on

Though I did hear some dude got it working on FreeBSD but I'm not sure if that was true.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

6. Post #6
    October 2005
    7,186 Posts
    Get a USB stick and fill it with distro's until it's full.
    But what distros? I've already tried Mint 12, Ubuntu 11.10, 12.04 daily, and Fedora 16..

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,116 Posts
    My attempt at installing Mint 12 64 bit has been stuck at "Configuring Target System" for 12 hours
    I think something is wrong

EDIT:

I powered off, re-cleared the partition, and properly installed Mint 12 64-bit :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    August 2010
    860 Posts
    Debian, openSuse, Mandriva...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

9. Post #9
    February 2012
    96 Posts
    Just wikipaste OP + resources.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    There's nothing stopping you from getting the binary packages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,632 Posts
    Can someone explain to me why when I try to sudo add-apt-repository ppa:voria/ppa (It's a valid repository, I checked) I keep getting errors saying "No JSON object could be decoded". I'm using Linux Mint 12 and it's a pain trying to get my netbook backlight working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    I think that pacman should have a interactive mode available in case of a decency conflict.

It would have been useful just now. I installed pacman 4. At first it didn't want to because package-query and pacman-color were being bitches about it. I tried to upgrade pacman without checking for dept conflics. It worked, but when I ran pacman again it told me about its inability to start because of a lack of glibc.

Wouldn't it be better if I had the following options:
    Code:
    package-query doesn't want you to upgrade. Fuck that guy? (Y/n) y
    pacman-color doesn't want you to upgrade. Fuck that guy? (Y/n) y
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    September 2010
    2,369 Posts
    I just got ubuntu 11.10 installed on a USB stick.

I like it so far, but every few minutes it just hangs for 4-8 seconds, for no reason.
    Is this just becasue it's on the USB?

14. Post #14

February 2012
    42 Posts
    Attempting to get Linux running on this old craptop

I havent ever had a single distro properly load up without a freeze on this thing

Edited:

Okey, the Linux kernel just wont run on this laptop

Whichever distro I try it just freezes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #15
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,090 Posts
    Backing up a hard drive over the network with netcat
    Not sure if good idea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    I think that pacman should have a interactive mode available in case of a decency conflict.

It would have been useful just now. I installed pacman 4. At first it didn't want to because package-query and pacman-color were being bitches about it. I tried to upgrade pacman without checking for dept conflics. It worked, but when I ran pacman again it told me about its inability to start because of a lack of glibc.

Code:
    They should have the package manager solve the glibc/pacman dep issue itself.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,379 Posts
    Code:
    [yousef@Archtop ~]$ /home/yousef/Downloads/EasyLock
    /home/yousef/Downloads/EasyLock: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I know libudev.so.0 is in /lib/ but why can't it find it?

Turns out I needed lib32-udev installed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,562 Posts
    I want to grab the output of archey, and display that on my desktop. I assume to do such a thing I'd need to use conky or similar, but I really don't know what I'm doing. Any ideas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,108 Posts

Code:
    Why didn't you remove package-query and pacman-color, upgrade pacman then download both from the AUR and do a makepkg?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

20. Post #20

February 2012
    42 Posts
    Okey, I nailed down the problem
    Is there any Linux distro that allows you to stop attempting to load SCSI drivers it shouldent be loading on the Live CD?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

21. Post #21
    [h2]AND MY ACKSH[/h2]
    June 2009
    3,973 Posts
    I just installed Debian and it's not detecting my Intel Wireless 100 Series card... I tried getting iwlagn but nothings working. Help me please.

22. Post #22
    January 2006
    5,719 Posts
    I don't think it's very clever to install networking software with "lag" in its name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,259 Posts
    Happy b-day Linux
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    December 2007
    653 Posts
    is it possible to make console text smaller?

I have a CentOS minimal install going and the console text is... lulzy huge, I kinda rough counted each character is like 60 pixels high.

I was thinking of installing X as a last resort that way at least I can control terminal text size but wondering if there is a simpler solution to this.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,756 Posts
    Installing opensource drivers will usually improve your terminal font (outside of X). If you have nvidia install nouveau; if you have ati install xf86-video-ati.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,259 Posts
    Whats the best DE? Awesome looked cool.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,562 Posts
    Whats the best DE? Awesome looked cool.
    The "best" DE is entirely subjective. Just try a bunch out and see what you like the best!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,756 Posts
    While playing with DE's make sure to have a nice login manager like gdm. It makes switching DE's as easy as logging out and changing a drop-down menu.

Unless you like playing with xinitrc and finding x start commands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,259 Posts
    Wow this is silly but how do you move windows in Awesome?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,756 Posts
    You need to configure awesome, but usually you move windows by holding the windows key and leftclicking on a window.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Strong Member
    January 2007
    8,019 Posts
    Anyone else having issues with gtk3 and libpng in Arch?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    is it possible to make console text smaller?

I have a CentOS minimal install going and the console text is... lulzy huge, I kinda rough counted each character is like 60 pixels high.

I was thinking of installing X as a last resort that way at least I can control terminal text size but wondering if there is a simpler solution to this.
    Not as far as I know.
    If you could do KMS (Kernel Mode Setting), you'd get a high resolution terminal. All the text would be smaller and high res.

Without it I think you're stuck at the standard 80 columns by 24 rows or whatever.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,259 Posts
    I'm kind of nervous. I want to over write my current Mint Linux partition with Arch, When I start up my computer Grub loads up and it says where the OS is installed. sda2(I don't remember exactly). Now I have installed Arch before on VirtualBox and I chose which drive and to the best of my knowledge it gave me an option like sda0 or something. When I install Arch I can just pick sda2, correct? This is the first time I will be installing another distro on an existing partition.

34. Post #34
    [h2]AND MY ACKSH[/h2]
    June 2009
    3,973 Posts
    I just installed Debian and it's not detecting my Intel Wireless 100 Series card... I tried getting iwlagn but nothings working. Help me please.
    i installed XP instead, no debian-based distro was working with my hardware, and Windows 7 wouldn't fit on my USB, and the only other computer i had was one with no DVD drive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,756 Posts
    I'm kind of nervous. I want to over write my current Mint Linux partition with Arch,
    Assuming you have a windows/linux dual boot, it would be wise to uninstall linux mint by restoring window's MBR with a repair disk (thus removing grub) then deleting linux mint's partitions within window's disk manager.

Then you can install arch linux without worry.

36. Post #36
    Strong Member
    January 2007
    8,019 Posts
    Anyone else having issues with gtk3 and libpng in Arch?
    turns out it was because I had a weird version of libcairo installed. reverting the the standard libcairo in the arch repos fixed my issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,259 Posts
    I'm kind of bumming my way through the Lunar Linux installation oh this doesn't work? Oh well, press a bunch more buttons and retry.

38. Post #38
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,668 Posts
    recommend me a distro
    i've tried ubuntu before and yes it's pretty easy to use but i'd like to try something else. it's for my laptop and i'd like the distro to be easy to configure when it comes to interfaces, themes and icons etc. i'd rather not having something like arch where i have to spend hours and hours just to install basic functions but at the same time i don't want the distro to be filled with useless stuff that i'll never use. it's a ~cheap laptop that I use at uni.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

39. Post #39
    January 2006
    5,719 Posts
    recommend me a distro
    i've tried ubuntu before and yes it's pretty easy to use but i'd like to try something else. it's for my laptop and i'd like the distro to be easy to configure when it comes to interfaces, themes and icons etc. i'd rather not having something like arch where i have to spend hours and hours just to install basic functions but at the same time i don't want the distro to be filled with useless stuff that i'll never use. it's a ~cheap laptop that I use at uni.
    arch...
    bang

http://archbang.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events

40. Post #40
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,668 Posts
    nice ty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events