138 Posts

Ok people, some progress here in the UI for the Facepunch WP app:

Fully MAC (Mojang Anti Cheat) proof!
    Gameboy Emulator
    Wire simulator
    TF2 hacks

Procedural Grapher
    aerospace simulator
    Wrote up some primitive input methods and a login 'random'. If you're unfamiliar with rs bot terminology, there are these locations known as randoms which the player would be abducted to at random times and made to complete a challenge which was purposely made difficult for a bot. These 'random' scripts had a method which was called periodically (every few seconds) in an attempt to detect this random. A login script was usually also made a random due to its similar nature, somewhat.

Yeah, I should probably make it move the mouse instead of teleporting it sometime soon.
    Today I get an email from a guy who bought my 3D live wallpaper and asked me why I hadn't been updating it for a while now and since I didn't have a good answer and already promised an update a month ago I worked on a new version the whole day today. I haven't been this focused and motivated in a long time! :D
    The feature I added was actually really simple: Letting the wallpaper slide left and right when you switch between homescreens, but because I was an idiot and the whole app is a terrible mess (code-wise) I spent most of today breaking my brain with crazy math.

But in the end I got everything working better than I expected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sPqAj2gxj0w
    Since there is no such thing as a preprocessor in Java I'm now thinking about how to make a trial version from the same code base and maybe even completely automate it so I can get a paid and free publishable version with one (double) click.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1M-viXDlTR0
    The terrain outside of the lighted area was a dark blue before recording.. meh

I plan on having worlds wrap around later so you can walk all the way around the world.. not sure how that's going to work though

Got saving and loading working.

Gentlemen, I give you...

DAIRYSCRIPT!

I'm going to call variables "Dairyables"
    Got GWEN rendering like a normal desktop window. Feels good.

Only works on Windows right now
    Microsoft sponsored my school for Global Game Jam 2012 and offered free Windows Phones to everyone who built a game for Windows Phone 7.

I made this in around 12-15 of the allowed 48 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p9NS9CdSFRQ

attempting to make a facepunch monitor that doesn't suck ass, which presents flyouts in the notification area like native windows applications
    In the process of writing a CHIP-8 emulator using the fantastic documentation here: http://devernay.free.fr/hacks/chip8/C8TECH10.HTM

Images of my progress so far:
    A brand new project

Loading a file into RAM

(At this point I found some public domain ROMs for CHIP-8, including the ever-popular maze generator, which I chose to be the first ROM for me to emulate.)

Getting the first sprite up on the screen

Fully emulated!

Working on a FP Mobile app, hopefully this one won't go the route of all of the other attempts. I've got login, forum list and thread list for a forum working in my backend. And I've got login and forum list working in the app.

Here's a screenie:

There we go. I always thought my appllication was lacking in Pong.

Previous Threads:

Version 23 (Jan 2012)
    Version 22 (Dec 2011)
    Version 21 (Nov 2011)
    Version 20
    Version 19
    Version 18
    Version 17
    Version 16
    Version 15
    Version 14
    Version 13
    Version 12
    Version 11
    Version 10
    Version 9
    Version 8
    Version 7
    Version 6
    Version 5
    Version 4
    Version 3
    Version 2
    Version 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    thread smell new
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,667 Posts
    I made the highlights? That's a first for me

I've made plenty of progress on iris (the Source hack), I'll post an update later when I'm not lazy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 5Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    remove me from the highlights

"nullsquared's getrich quick app hurr durr" way to remove the entire point of that post i made regarding water pressure and phun's implementation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts

"nullsquared's getrich quick app hurr durr" way to remove the entire point of that post i made regarding water pressure and phun's implementation
    Well that isn't a nice way to start the thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    why would you even edit the highlights to your own liking, destroying some posts and keeping other posts intact
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    why would you even edit the highlights to your own liking, destroying some posts and keeping other posts intact
    me and @@ used teamwork to compile the highlights, so uh

Edited:

mine are the good ones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,533 Posts
    Yay, made the highlights! :D
    Motivation *= 50;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,774 Posts
    What's your address?, I'm going to send you a sense of humor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 23Zing Zing x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    @@
    January 2012
    138 Posts
    -snip- we don't need this drama.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,144 Posts
    It was a joke. How about calming the fuck down?
    We all think it's impressive without needing you to rub it in our faces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    null is literally the only person on the planet who could be upset at being highlighted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 28Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    I shall make the March 2012 highlights.
    You will see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    978 Posts
    Not many people like being drawn on though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,448 Posts
    You guys making an issue of it isn't exactly helping either though. Lets talk about something else like...

Have any of you attempted a component based design for entities/items/etc in your games/projects? If so, how'd you like it?

I ask because I'm going to try and implement component based design for my stuff for the first time, and haven't read a lot about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    @@
    January 2012
    138 Posts
    Removed, you're welcome. We appreciated your work, but you know.. Whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Have any of you attempted a component based design for entities/items/etc in your games/projects? If so, how'd you like it?
    i love working with component based entities ... far cleaner and more intuitive than using inheritance

for example, i have a couple of components called GameRenderable, GamePhysical, and GameTransformable ... you could easily guess their functionality

now, a regular prop (like a box) uses the same components as a constraint (like a spring) - even though they have completely different functionality, they both render a sprite, they both allow the user to click on them, and they both have a concept of position/rotation, etc.

this leads to very strong separation of responsibilities and very clean code - when i write code for a spring, i'm writing code for a spring, not a completely new entity derived from a long chain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts

Agop Shirinian speaks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 8Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    my only suggestion is, don't get too caught up in complicated "messaging systems"

make strong use of PIMPL, keep your header files clean, and just include whatever component you need to interact with:

#include "GameTransformable.h" // a minimal header file with no private variables or anything

GameTransformable* trans = Parent()->Get<GameTransformable>();
    trans->Position.x += 5; // etc.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    594 Posts

I ask because I'm going to try and implement component based design for my stuff for the first time, and haven't read a lot about it.
    I have an entity/component based design in my framework, and I have to say, I quite like it. It took some time to get used to it, but now I don't want to go back.

You can take a look at my code at http://code.google.com/p/protozed/, although I wouldn't brag about my implementation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    i love working with component based entities ... far cleaner and more intuitive than using inheritance

for example, i have a couple of components called GameRenderable, GamePhysical, and GameTransformable ... you could easily guess their functionality

now, a regular prop (like a box) uses the same components as a constraint (like a spring) - even though they have completely different functionality, they both render a sprite, they both allow the user to click on them, and they both have a concept of position/rotation, etc.

this leads to very strong separation of responsibilities and very clean code - when i write code for a spring, i'm writing code for a spring, not a completely new entity derived from a long chain
    Have you used your clean code writing skills to fix all the bugs in Tear'n'Burn yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    August 2007
    3,448 Posts

Thanks! This is what I was hoping it was going to be like. Finally I can make clean reusable code, as well as adhere to my love for minimalism! Hopefully the lack of having to rewrite the same thing will increase productivity as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Have you used your clean code writing skills to fix all the bugs in Tear'n'Burn yet?
    no, too busy working on the new app. Tear N Burn might get some updates due to new discoveries in the new app
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    August 2007
    3,448 Posts
    I have an entity/component based design in my framework, and I have to say, I quite like it. It took some time to get used to it, but now I don't want to go back.

You can take a look at my code at http://code.google.com/p/protozed/, although I wouldn't brag about my implementation.
    Thanks! Having as much example code as I can will be really useful, I'm also taking a look at this: http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/component.html

25. Post #25
    February 2012
    4 Posts
    Andrew is working on giving me sentience by using that API him and the other smelly humans wrote for this silly site.

I hear my job will be to post images from imgur's new section of their gallery as they come in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    hOnK :o)
    December 2009
    3,987 Posts
    Audio Portal didn't make the highlights :(

FP for iOS will. Oh it will...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    594 Posts
    Thanks! Having as much example code as I can will be really useful, I'm also taking a look at this: http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/component.html
    That's the article that got me into this path.

I recommend this series of articles: http://t-machine.org/index.php/2007/...opment-part-1/. I think they thought me the most out of any articles I've found about the subject.
    This site has some more examples also: http://entity-systems.wikidot.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,235 Posts
    Wheee, made the highlights :D
    Been away from the project for a few days because of coursework and whatnot, but I'm taking the night off to work on this again. Procedures are truly first-class now (albeit always passed by reference) - fiddled with the parser a bit too, you can call them from arrays now too:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 6 (list)

29. Post #29
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,099 Posts
    I haven't been in the highlights for months :(

I've done worse things than my lighting simulator or Mars Miner that made the highlights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,604 Posts
    You should remove mine from highlights, that has nothing to do with programming at all..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Panama Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2007
    3,448 Posts
    Just about to start on my component implementation, but I needed to touch up my quad tree so I wouldn't have to go back to it later on (hopefully).

Was very annoyed that XNA didn't have a float Rectangle which made the quad tree display a little weird due to rounding issues with normal rectangles, so I made my own and It's looking a lot better IMHO. All entities aside from the face aren't being drawn (that's why the quad tree has other nodes, but nothing there)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    Man I've been so lazy.
    First time since like 5 versions that I'm not in OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 13Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Cross-posting from the Game Programming Competition, because it might be useful to some of you guys.

Kongregate high scores scraper.
    Code:
    http://blogcake.x10.mx/kongregatescore.php
    Parameters:
    id - Kongregate Game ID. Find it with Firebug or Chrome's equivalent. Example:

type - 0 is Weekly, 1 is All Time, and 2 is Today, leave blank for weekly.

Return values:
    no_scores - No high scores for the selected time period
    no_gameid_supplied - Self explanatory
    If all goes well, you'll get a newline (\n) separated list of values in the format "username;score"

You're welcome.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,144 Posts
    my only suggestion is, don't get too caught up in complicated "messaging systems"

make strong use of PIMPL, keep your header files clean, and just include whatever component you need to interact with:

#include "GameTransformable.h" // a minimal header file with no private variables or anything

GameTransformable* trans = Parent()->Get<GameTransformable>();
    trans->Position.x += 5; // etc.

It's not always as simple.
    Have you tried implementing parenting in a component based system?
    For example, one shape might have the MouseInteraction component but it's parent doesn't, yet when the mouse goes over the shape, it's parent also intersects with the mouse because the shape is it's child. Unfortunately, the parent doesn't need the MouseInteraction component to do what it does but you have to add it anyway so it can tell you if child intersected.

It all turns into a giant clusterfuck very fast when you have to include a ton of components just because they must support everything their children support.

It's either that or having to deal with unintuitive functionality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    December 2009
    3,987 Posts
    Just about to start on my component implementation, but I needed to touch up my quad tree so I wouldn't have to go back to it later on (hopefully).

Was very annoyed that XNA didn't have a float Rectangle which made the quad tree display a little weird due to rounding issues with normal rectangles, so I made my own and It's looking a lot better IMHO. All entities aside from the face aren't being drawn (that's why the quad tree has other nodes, but nothing there)
    What exactly are quad trees used for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    Efficient collision checking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,144 Posts
    They partition space very efficiently enabling you to remove a huge amount of objects from the list of candidates that might intersect.
    Instead of checking every one with every one, you only need to check each one and it's neighbors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    It's not always as simple.
    Have you tried implementing parenting in a component based system?
    For example, one shape might have the MouseInteraction component but it's parent doesn't, yet when the mouse goes over the shape, it's parent also intersects with the mouse because the shape is it's child. Unfortunately, the parent doesn't need the MouseInteraction component to do what it does but you have to add it anyway so it can tell you if child intersected.

It all turns into a giant clusterfuck very fast when you have to include a ton of components just because they must support everything their children support.

It's either that or having to deal with unintuitive functionality.
    uh what? no i have not run into that

what do you mean by parenting? and why are you doing it at the entity level? that defeats the purpose of using a component based design to begin with!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    December 2009
    3,987 Posts
    They partition space very efficiently enabling you to remove a huge amount of objects from the list of candidates that might intersect.
    Instead of checking every one with every one, you only need to check each one and it's neighbors.
    Brilliant. I'm probably going to go home and make one of the-WAIT.

Time to make one in Love on my Mac.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Informative Informative x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)