1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,415 Posts

[release]
    Version 0.13.3 is the latest and last free version (demo) of the game, you must buy the game to receive future versions ($18)

Website (download is on the page): http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/
    Wiki: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/i...itle=Main_Page
    Forum: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php

[/release]
    [release]
    [h2]Mods/More parts[/h2]
    The Kerbal forum's own section
    [TABLE][TR][TD]
    Component Space Shuttle
    Damned Robotics
    MechJeb (handy autopilot)
    Mechanical Mouse Industries
    Silisko Industries
    Down Under Aerospace[/TD][TD]
    KW Rocketry
    Extraplanetary Infrastructure
    Carts + Moon rover
    Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau
    Lionhead Aerospace Inc.
    [/TD]
    [/TR][/TABLE]

[/release]
    [release][TABLE="width: 1000"][TR][TD][h2]About it:[/h2]
    Kerbal Space Program is a game focusing on making your own space program. Yes, that's it. But it does not end there, oh no; even though there are currently only three engines (more can be added with mods) it's the almost endless combinations possible that makes this so enjoyable to play. You see, much like real space rockets this game features multistage rockets that you design and create. Setting up these multistages is easy, though it can become rather complicated when your rocket has a gazillion stages.
    There is no real goal. You might want to achieve a stable orbit around the planet or just reach for the stars. You can also satisfy your competetive side of yourself and challenge your friends to a game of "who-can-reach-the-highest-altitude" or "can-you-get-to-the-moon-and-back-safely?".
    And have you ever wanted to prove to NASA how lousy their space rockets are? This is the time to prove to them how wrong they are in their designs!

Kerbal Space Program is currently in alpha, to quote the developers:
    http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ posted:
    The game is currently under heavy development. This means the game will be improved on a regular basis, so be sure to check back for new updates.
    Right now, KSP is in Alpha state, but we want you to try it out and have fun with it. The first versions are free to download and play, and will remain so forever.

The KSP Team is strongly commited to the project, and we are always listening for feedback from the players.
    If you have any questions, comments and ideas, please contact us, or join us on the Forums.
    [/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
    [/release]

[release][TABLE][TR][TD]
    [h2]Media:[/h2]
    Tutorial by Oicani Gonzales on how to get to the moon and back:

Our hero, Jeb:
    [/TD][TD][/TD][TD][/TD][TD]
    [h2]Gameplay:[/h2]
    The VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building)

When entering the VAB to construct a new craft you will be prompted by a window asking for which command module to use. More can be added with mods mods.
    All of the following parts are vanilla and not all available parts are listed here. More can be added with mods.

Propulsion:

Solid Fuel Rocket

Description: High thrust for a short period of time. And unlike the liquid fuel rocket its fuel is stored within itself.

Liquid Fuel Rocket and its fuel tank

Description: Moderate thrust for a longer period of time, this time can be extended by stacking fuel tanks on top of eachother
    The liquid fuel rocket works by attaching the rocket muzzle itself to the end of the liquid tank.

There are two kinds of liquid engines, they are largely the same. However, one supports engine gimbal which increases how steerable it is by changing the angle of the thrust. You can see which one is which in the game by hovering your mouse over them (it's also the one on the right).

Command & Control:

Advanced S.A.S Module

Description: When activated (default key 'T') this module will try to compensate and keep the craft orientated exactly how it was when activated. If you have winglets and/or RCS blocks attached to your craft it will automatically make use those as well to keep it straight.

S.A.S Module

Description: As long as this module is attached to the rocket and you hold the F key (or t to toggle), it'll apply force to attempt to keep the rocket straight. More of these will make the craft more stable but will add to the overall weight.

The difference between regular and Advanced S.A.S is that regular makes it difficult to change rotation, whereas advanced tries to maintains one rotation.

RV-105 RCS Thruster Block

Description: This part uses RCS fuel which is provided by the RCS Fuel Tank. What RCS does is that it enables more powerful rotation and translation motion. Rotation is what is implies; rotating motion of the craft. Translation, however, is when you move the entire craft forward, back, left and right, up and down without any rotation.
    Abbreviation stands for "Reaction Control System".
    Default key 'R'.

Structural & Aerodynamic:

FTX-2 External Fuel Duct

Description: This fuel duct transports fuel from the firstly placed connection point to the second, meaning it goes from one fuel tank to another. This is perfect for external fuel tanks, because fuel will be depleted from the tank that was chosen first and fill the second one. That empty fuel tank can then be jettisoned.

LT-2 Landing Struts

Description: These are landing struts which are used to land a craft. When these are placed on your craft (preferably using symmetry on) they are folded upwards in such a way that they are space efficient, and when deployed (default key 'G') they rotate to a downward position (as seen in the picture above).

TT-38K Radial Decoupler

Description: attachable to the side of a module, and on it other things (such as rockets) can be attached.
    When the stage that the decoupler is part of is activated, the decoupler detaches from the module it's attached to. Extremely useful.

TR-18A Stack Decoupler

Description: This decoupler is only attachable to the top/bottom of a module, and it will detach itself from the module above it when its stage is activated

TVR-1180C Mk1 Stack Tri-Coupler

Description: You can attach 3 modules to this one while it itself is attached to a single module. However, it's not detachable itself like the decouplers.

EAS-4 Strut Connector

Description: Can be added to make your craft more stable by connecting two points; creating a rigid connection.

AV-T1 and AV-R8 Winglets

Description: Aerodynamic wings that are attachable to your craft.

Utility & Scientific

Parachute

Description: Attachable to anything like everything else and will extend a parachute when triggered in a stage. Its main use is to land the command pod safely in case you re-enter the planet or didn't reach space.

Orbital Map:

The orbital map (Default Key 'M') displays your current orbit. Your orbit is represented by a blue and green line (blue at the Apoapsis, green at the Periapsis). There are also two nodes at the lowest and highest points of orbit, these are called Periapsis and Apoapsis. The highest point is Apoapsis, and the lowest is named Periapsis. When referring to an orbit around the earth (in this case Kerbin), Apogee and Perigee can be/are used.

This is what it looks like when an orbit has been established.

When holding your mouse over any of the three nodes visible (Ap, Pe or the pod node) they will display information regarding that node's altitude and speed.

Correcting your orbit:

To modify your orbit, here's what you do:

To lower your Apoapsis, make a Retrograde burn at the Periapsis.
    To raise your Apoapsis, make a Prograde burn at the Periapsis.

To lower your Periapsis, make a Retrograde burn at the Apoapsis.
    To raise your Periapsis, make a Prograde burn at the Apoapsis.

Now, what is prograde and retrograde? They are simply the names of which direction of motion you're facing. For example, if you're facing the same direction as the direction of motion, that's Prograde, and when facing the opposite direction of motion is Retrograde.

You can also thing of the whole orbit-correction-thing in a more simplistic and logical way: lower your speed to lower the altitude of the orbit, increase your speed to increase the altitude of the orbit.

By modifying your orbit is also how you reach the Moon; you raise the Apoapsis to the Moon's distance (11,5 thousand kilometers) and hope for the best. Although you must also time it correctly so that you and the Moon "meet" eachother at one point, namely the Apoapsis.

Orbital data: https://gist.github.com/1073201[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
    [/release]

It's highly advisable to do the in-game tutorial (I mean it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 33Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,633 Posts
    Looks like my time machine and spambot actually worked!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,415 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

4. Post #4
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Currently making a new OP for you guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    needs a modesl sectio showing some part sof each mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    [release][h2]Kerbal Space Program[/h2]

Version 0.13.2 is the latest and last free version of the game, you must pay to receive future versions ($10)
    The official website, download is on the page
    Official Forums[/release]

[release][h2]About the game:[/h2]
    Kerbal Space Program is a game in which you make your own space program. That's the basic premise, but there's far more to it than that.
    Now, the stock parts are pretty limited, but there is a very active modding community out there (Recommended mods in the next release box.) And with these mod parts, you can build more realistic and much larger rockets!

Now there is no tangible goal, but its currently sandbox. In the future the game will have a campaign mode, in which you would need to manage money, complete goals, and think like you're an actual aerospace agency.

If you're bored crashing rockets into the ground, here are some suggestions: Attempt a perfectly circular orbit, try to get to the Mun and back, or make some spaceplanes.

This game is in alpha, and here's the developer quote (from the website):

HarvesteR posted:
    The game is currently under heavy development. This means the game will be improved on a regular basis, so be sure to check back for new updates.
    Right now, KSP is in Alpha state, but we want you to try it out and have fun with it. The first versions are free to download and play, and will remain so forever.

The KSP Team is strongly commited to the project, and we are always listening for feedback from the players.
    If you have any questions, comments and ideas, please contact us, or join us on the Forums.
    [/release]

That's the first draft of the first part, I need to finish my models instead of flip-flopping from writing this to working in Inventor.

Any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,034 Posts
    Preordered.

The persistence is what really made me go "Fuck trying to fix the stupid gift card I'll just put it on my PayPal."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Oh and here's fucking Jupiter.

Edited:

Link
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts

Detailing some parts before a release. The release won't have textures though unless someone else would like to make some instead.

Edited:

Winstonn, do you have an ETA for the 0.4m docking port?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,034 Posts
    Personally I don't care if they're untextured or not.

I just want space station.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    Pelf what is steam? i have docking port

K I think I got most of them?

Thanks To Segas work I made the basics shapes and i think i have determined the Desired Details. Those weird things on the outside of most of them i think i will be making separate pieces for added personal customization. What do you think?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts
    Pelf what is steam?
    My Steam is below my avatar. Or it should be.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,415 Posts
    We have to come up with a title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15

April 2011
    4,466 Posts
    Is this a record yet?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts
    What should I call my space station parts pack?

17. Post #17
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    ANGESPA

ANother GrEat Station PAck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,754 Posts
    What should I call my space station parts pack?
    Icarus Pack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,066 Posts
    Icarus Pack.
    Doesn't quite bode well for the inhabitants of said space station, does it?

20. Post #20
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Doesn't quite bode well for the inhabitants of said space station, does it?
    That's the point!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    someone care to slap this into the mods pack?

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...91213#msg91213

Edited:

haha yes!! yes!!!!

Space Carriers!!

http://picturesportal.blogspot.com/2...ary-space.html

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    @_o amazing

NovaSilisko posted:
    I'm going to use this one, actually. The one in Silisko Edition is incredibly ugly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts
    HarvesteR posted:
    Well, more news now:

I've been playing with the new persistence system all day here, trying to spot bugs, and as one would expect, I've found plenty.

See why it is still too soon to be talking experimentals? If I can find bugs just playing here on my own, imagine the amount of bug reports that would flood the forums if an experimetal were released now.

Anyhow, I've found these issues now:

The rotating reference frame transition isn't working as it should... It seems the re-coding I did broke it, but hopefully it should be easy to fix.

The hyperbolic orbits are still weird here... I've found that when an orbit is hyperbolic, the information the game is saving to resume the same orbit later isn't enough to describe whether you're heading towards or away from the periapsis, so I'm thinking it might be necessary to either save extra information, or go through the hyperbolic orbit timekeeping math here to sort out the confusion.

Also, it seems for some reason the fix I did to the parts disappearing problem was a little TOO effective... now, parts are failing to get deleted if they enter the atmosphere... That thing really does need a revision I think.

And yeah, the staging is behaving weird on the VAB (and when launching even) ever since 13.2 was released. Some change we made didn't sit well, and I think the best thing to do now is revert it back to how it was before. It wasn't perfect then, but at least it was working better than it is now. (this would also apply to the demo)

Now, today wasn't all bad. One very cool thing happened to me here while testing, which made me realize I haven't yet seen the true extent of what the game will feel like once this is ready. I launched a ship I had sitting at the Mun, and got it going into a low orbit. As I was climbing, I noticed an icon popped up just to my side. It was a piece of debris that was left there from an earlier landing mission, and it was left orbiting the mun passing just over the spot where I had taken off from.

I didn't actually get to see the piece of debris, but that little icon flying near me, and by near I mean around 60km away, made me feel like the world was alive, that there were other things happening apart from my little ship, and I wasn't flying completely alone out there, even though it was something I had left there myself, and I didn't actually get to see it. It was something I hadn't expected would happen this easily, and it got me thinking just how cool it would be to have a radar fitted to the ship, that you could point to these unidentified objects to get a range, relative velocity and identification on it. I want to add that soon.

Lastly, I'm getting quite excited about the new updater tool. Doing experimentals with it should be much more enjoyable, because we'll be able to put out fixes as fast as we can apply them, and if we mess something up, fixing it is as quick as reuploading the offending content. The idea behind this updater is that it will let you opt-in on the experimental releases. By enabling experimental updates, the game will automatically update to the latest X release, as soon as it's available, and better yet, it will only download the things that have changed, so you won't have to do a 100MB download each time there is a new update. I think this is going to be very good for everyone, even our servers.

Cheers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    Should i cut everythings size in half? Here you can see the stock pod. it would also make the TKS's VA (RRE) the size of the stock pod and most mods. what do you all think?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Guys. GUYS

My Munar rover...

Is recoverable. As in, it can make it back to Kerbin.
    I feel so proud. They grow up so fast!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts
    Should I release my station parts now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Not yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts
    Why not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Wrong thread

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts
    What do you mean?

Edited:

So I'm not making stupid posts:

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,175 Posts
    What do you mean?

Edited:

So I'm not making stupid posts:

please please PLEASE at least give the textures an AO bake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,034 Posts
    oog I want that now

Though I'd prefer those to be blue, and you should totally make a small curved part for the top of that part that sticks out, maybe not a sphere but something that tapers I guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    I posted that in the wrong thread, and by coincidence, you asked whether or not to release the parts.

Oh and yes release them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,459 Posts
    Oh, let's just ignore the weight on that side and flip it over
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts
    please please PLEASE at least give the textures an AO bake
    I'd like to but I don't know how.

oog I want that now

Though I'd prefer those to be blue, and you should totally make a small curved part for the top of that part that sticks out, maybe not a sphere but something that tapers I guess
    I based it off of the small modules here.

38. Post #38
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,034 Posts
    ah well I guess it just looks a little funny without textures

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,175 Posts
    I'd like to but I don't know how.

I based it off of the small modules here.
    You use Blender, correct?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,936 Posts
    You use Blender, correct?
    Yes.