1. Post #1
    Hello everyone! I would like you to know that I am not a fan of nudity!!!
    May 2009
    6,560 Posts
    Old thread was DING DONG ROKKUDU, so I took it upon myself to make the new one. First time making a megathread so sorry if I fuck this up.

And don't forget the rest of the instalments in the Mass Effect Universe...

You take on the role of Commander Shepard onboard the SSV Normandy en route to the human colony of Eden Prime in an operation to recover a recently unearthed Prothean beacon. The crew is joined on the mission by the turian Spectre Nihlus Kryik from the Citadel's Office of Special Tactics and Reconnaissance. The mission was meant to test Shepard's suitability for the role as a Spectre, but quickly changes when the Normandy arrives at the colony to find it's under attack by an unidentified alien space craft.
    When your squad arrives you identify that the colony is under attack by geth forces led by a rogue turian Spectre named Saren Arterius - who kills Nihlus. When you locate the beacon it activates, imparting strange visions in Shepard’s mind before becoming inactive. After the mission is complete you return to the Citadel Council to inform them of what happened and the actions of Saren. After the Council rejects your initial accusation you start your own investigation, uncovering evidence which leads to Saren being declared a rogue Spectre. Shepard is then granted Spectre status and given command of the Normandy with orders to hunt down Saren. While doing so you unravel his plot to bring back the ancient machine race known as the Reapers. Now it is no longer just about bringing one man to justice, but also to save a galaxy from extinction...

Available for the PC and XBOX 360

Two years after Commander Shepard repelled invading Reapers bent on the destruction of organic life, a mysterious new enemy has emerged. On the fringes of known space, something is silently abducting entire human colonies. Now Shepard must work with Cerberus, a ruthless organization devoted to human survival at any cost, to stop the most terrifying threat mankind has ever faced.

To even attempt this perilous mission, Shepard must assemble the galaxy's most elite team and command the most powerful ship ever built. Even then, they say it would be suicide. Commander Shepard intends to prove them wrong.

Available for PC, XBOX 360 and PS3.

Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect 3 is the last chapter in Commander Shepard's journey and is centred around Shepard's attempts to drive the Reapers from the galaxy. The game is currently slated for release on March 6th 2012.

Available for PC, XBOX 360 and PS3.

Useful Links
    Mass Effect Wiki
    Mass Effect Confirmed Features Thread
    Mass Effect 3 Website
    Mass Effect Saves
    Mass Effect Mini-series
    Bioware Social Network - Mass Effect 3 Forums
    Mass Effect Chronicles (fan game)

Mass Effect Smileys - Shamelessly stolen

Past Threads
    #01 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/698089
    #02 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/844577
    #03 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/877517
    #04 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/883197
    #05 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/890295
    #06 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/906068
    #07 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1012340
    #08 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1037598
    #09 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1049657
    #10 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1058377
    #11 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1089139
    #12 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1095529
    #13 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1099374
    #14 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1125727
    #15 - http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1152104

Feel free to contribute to the OP

ANY MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS MUST BE TAGGED
    MASS EFFECT 1 & 2 SPOILERS ARE OK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 14Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2010
    16,311 Posts
    I never did get around to finishing the last thread's OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    8,107 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    May 2009
    6,560 Posts
    Also, I've already said this before but thanks again DM for giving me the confidence to try a megathread. :unsmith:

Edited:

What do you guys think of the name?
    I was going to go for something to do with the recent odd split-thread-personality-type-thing where people discussed Tali loads despite most thread regulars not particularly liking her, but felt I should have gone for the safer option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    8,107 Posts
    Also, I've already said this before but thanks again DM for giving me the confidence to try a megathread. :unsmith:

Edited:

I was going to go for something to do with the recent odd split-thread-personality-type-thing where people discussed Tali loads despite most thread regulars not particularly liking her, but felt I should have gone for the safer option.
    You guys are very lucky he didn't use the other title ideas

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    February 2010
    16,311 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,571 Posts

I thought the "ding dong bannu" thing was about the old republic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,017 Posts
    I would have called it something like "Everyone's a Critic edition" but that might just be because I don't get the title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2010
    1,568 Posts
    Downloading ME right now, 41% done, 500 kb/s, 2.5 hours remaining. GO FASTER.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

10. Post #10
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 10Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

August 2006
    772 Posts
    ANY MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS MUST BE TAGGED
    MASS EFFECT 1 & 2 SPOILERS ARE OK
    Like people will listen to that. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,402 Posts
    I wish ME series got a sale on Steam.. I'd love to play ME3 on PC now that I have a computer powerful enough, but since I have the first two on Xbox I have to get the third for that too. Shame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

13. Post #13
    November 2007
    821 Posts
    Is it possible for Morinth to be unloyal? You can only get her on Samara's loyalty mission, and that counts for her, as well.

It seems like people have been pretty good about marking spoilers in this thread. It's just frustrating when I accidentally clicked on a spoiler because I've never had cause to avoid them before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    Leave the thread if you are so concerned of spoilers, problem solved.

Griefers don't care about bans. The Portal 2 thread made this very clear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,402 Posts
    Also thread name is hilarious

Edited:

goddamn my automerge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

16. Post #16
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    Is it possible for Morinth to be unloyal? You can only get her on Samara's loyalty mission, and that counts for her, as well.
    You technically saved her life, I'm sure she is loyal if you kill Samara.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

17. Post #17
    May 2009
    6,560 Posts
    I thought the "ding dong bannu" thing was about the old republic?
    Yeah, but Bioware.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,338 Posts

It seems like people have been pretty good about marking spoilers in this thread. It's just frustrating when I accidentally clicked on a spoiler because I've never had cause to avoid them before.
    Nope, she's automatic loyal.

Edited:

Yeah, but Bioware.
    A better title would be "Mass Effect Megathread: 'Virmiring' people since 2183" or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2010
    1,568 Posts
    And now I'm downloading Mass Effect at <50 kb/s. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    And now I'm downloading Mass Effect at <50 kb/s. :/
    I was going to say "Where the hell do you live, that's 11 times worse than our lines in Germany", but then I saw an Australian flag. Retail release was too expensive?

Though there are at least 20 cities in our country with super-speed FTTH/FTTB with reasonable prices, they won't upgrade our darn city. People have 200 Mbit just a few kilometers away and 1 Gbit is planned. I only have I have 5 Mbit down and 0.55 Mbit up, but I guess I should be thankful.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,539 Posts
    It would have been interesting if BioWare went as far as making any of the six team mates able to die on Virmire depending on whomever you leave with the bomb or Kirrahe. Hopefully, in Mass Effect 3, everybody and anybody is vulnerable to die by some means.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

22. Post #22
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    merge

Edited:

Small countries with low population are usually more advanced, see Norway or Arvuti below me. I hope your country doesn't monitor what you download so you can make use of it.

23. Post #23
    [SIZE=6][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Hardcore My Little Pony Fan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    100 mbit down

Estonian master race.

Imagine how fast the internet would be in mass effect, considering it would be in the entire galaxy. And imagine then ping you would get.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

24. Post #24
    May 2009
    6,560 Posts
    Perhaps the title could have been "wtf bioware why can't i virmire tali"

25. Post #25
    February 2010
    16,311 Posts
    That's why we have the Suicide Mission
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    There isn't even that much tali hate, just that her fanbase sucks. Really the only character that is being hated is that news reporter and only because of how she looks like and her voice actress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #27
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    100 mbit down

Estonian master race.

Imagine how fast the internet would be in mass effect, considering it would be in the entire galaxy. And imagine then ping you would get.
    Considering how most interstellar communications are instantanious, I'm fairly certain their internet has 0 ping at all times. When speaking to Legion about potential Upgrades for the Normandy 2 he will request access to the Ships information network. I can only assume that is the equivalent of the internet in Mass Effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

28. Post #28
    August 2010
    194 Posts
    That's why we have the Suicide Mission
    It's just too bad that gave bioware a reason to scrap every character except tali for me3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

29. Post #29
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,531 Posts
    I think EDI said that the quantum communicator in the briefing room, connected to Tim's office, offered instantaneous communication via quantum entanglement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    I don't want this to get into another science discussion, even though in reality quantum entanglement is faster than light; information can NEVER travel faster than light. You cannot communicate through it.

31. Post #31
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    9,060 Posts
    100 mbit down

Estonian master race.

Cunt.

I could order 100 mbit but I aint gonna pay more (even though it's cheap as shit).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Dammit! I only got to pork Tali in ME2, in ME3 I want to fuck the entire cast at once! Even the ones that died!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    Dammit! I only got to pork Tali in ME2, in ME3 I want to fuck the entire cast at once! Even the ones that died!
    SR2 normandy is a flying orgy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Caragolpe
    Look mom I'm at the first page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Funny Funny x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    December 2009
    8,742 Posts
    Thought it was weird that there was no posts for an hour. Then i remembered Garrys new policy

Anyway, I got my GPU back (It was the goddamn hdmi cable) so i finally got to try the Amalur demo. It was fun, Although not without some bugs, mostly audio and movement. Might get it later.

And there is now 36 days left until release
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    8,107 Posts
    13 days till demo

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,973 Posts
    Awwww shit, can't wait to get my Shepard on.

38. Post #38
    December 2009
    8,742 Posts
    Awwww shit, can't wait to get my Shepard on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    6,081 Posts
    Actually the Codex states pretty clearly otherwise because of relativistic concerns. Even with the relays communication isn't instantaneous unless the two sources are relatively close together, but the ME cutscenes completely ignore their own shit and stuff happens instantaneously, esp with Illusive Man, even the Quantum Entangled Comm is supposed to be bidirectional but only have one signal per instance, one way on or off.

"science"

The extranet is the ME version of the internet, and it functions like the internet right down to lag. The backstory clearly states that a lot of data is stored locally to ease traffic over relativistic differences.

cynical
    Hardly. Some people simply see past the self entitlement and marketing hype and view the game as just that, a game. While combat and usability have steadily improved, the story has not, and in a couple of facets has completely lost focus compared to what the game was supposed to be about in the beginning.

As one of the few BSNtard level players psyched FOR multiplayer mostly because of the guidance of Manveer, and some other ex-Raven folks, I have plenty to look forward to, but the story, even from an external view is bad in implementation and contains elements even cheerleaders at BSN can't ignore.

Most of the squadmates people want to play on an ongoing basis with are removed from doing so, and their replacements range from extremely derivative to marketing derived to deviantart fetish pr0n.

On top of that it's fairly clear they've written themselves into a corner, and the main villains are going to lose a shit ton of their menace to accommodate for it.

So while all the elements and technical bedrock that frame the story seems to be in pretty good shape, the main reason the game exists in the first place is now put together with tape and glue and clothespins, and the vehicles supporting that reason have been limited or turned into caricatures of themselves.

Good and bad abound, and people are simply commenting as they see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    March 2010
    4,472 Posts
    Hardly. Some people simply see past the self entitlement and marketing hype and view the game as just that, a game. While combat and usability have steadily improved, the story has not, and in a couple of facets has completely lost focus compared to what the game was supposed to be about in the beginning.

As one of the few BSNtard level players psyched FOR multiplayer mostly because of the guidance of Manveer, and some other ex-Raven folks, I have plenty to look forward to, but the story in even from an external view is bad in implementation and just contains elements even cheerleaders at BSN can't ignore.

Most of the squadmates people want to play on an ongoing basis with are removed from doing so, and their replacements range from extremely derivative to marketing derived to deviantart fetish pr0n.

On top of that it's fairly clear they've written themselves into a corner, and the main villains are going to lose a shit ton of their menace to accommodate for it.

So while all the elements and technical bedrock that frame the story seems to be in pretty good shape, the main reason the game exists in the first place is now put together with tape and glue and clothespins, and the vehicles supporting that reason have been limited or turned into caricatures of themselves.

Good and bad abound, and people are simply commenting as they see it.

Take these with a grain of salt, it's directly from /v/.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 28Winner Winner x 2 (list)