1. Post #1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Late Late x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,241 Posts
    Man being a photographer for nasa would be so cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,690 Posts
    If for some reason I got to go into space, I always thought I'd try an HDR image of the Earth, so you can see all the stars and milky way behind the Earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    3,210 Posts
    Guys you can see my penis from here!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I make sexist and racist jokes all the time yet,i still support the feminist movement and the rights of blacks.
    July 2010
    5,535 Posts
    Loading the original picture made my computer crash.

6. Post #6
    June 2011
    983 Posts
    Loading the original picture made my computer crash.
    Get more than 16 MBs of RAM x)

Just kidding plz don't kill me   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Zing Zing x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    November 2008
    2,340 Posts
    incredible! reminds me of them gigapixel images of obama's inauguration etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,686 Posts
    this isn't a "totally real" picture. north america is distorted to look larger than it actually is; there's aliasing on the earth's surface, the atmosphere doesn't look like the earth's atmosphere but rather just a plain blue glow, and there isn't shading on the earth, etc.

it's (sort of) a 3D render taken from composite textures from the earth:

NASA posted:
    Suomi NPP is carrying five instruments on board. The biggest and most important instrument is The Visible/Infrared Imager Radiometer Suite or VIIRS. NPP orbits the earth at 512 miles above the surface. The image is composited from 4 orbits. A map projection algorithm is used to put the VIIRS data in the image. The map projection transformation provides the global look of the image.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    I am An Hero!
    March 2011
    221 Posts
    Is there a bigger size? 8000x8000 is to small, i can't see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

10. Post #10
    January 2012
    17 Posts
    This was taken in more than one shot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,272 Posts
    This was taken in more than one shot
    wow you don't say?
    Because it says it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    January 2012
    17 Posts
    wow you don't say?
    Because it says it
    Are you sure?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,353 Posts
    This goes nearly perfectly with my 500MB image of the Moon NASA released some time ago.

14. Post #14
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    This goes nearly perfectly with my 500MB image of the Moon NASA released some time ago.
    oooo. Link?

15. Post #15
    February 2009
    693 Posts
    oooo. Link?
    google?

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

Download link is at the bottom of that article.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    November 2008
    1,202 Posts
    google?

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/116932598.html

Download link is at the bottom of that article.
    Thanks.

17. Post #17
    February 2009
    3,556 Posts
    this isn't a "totally real" picture. north america is distorted to look larger than it actually is; there's aliasing on the earth's surface, the atmosphere doesn't look like the earth's atmosphere but rather just a plain blue glow, and there isn't shading on the earth, etc.

You can tell by looking at the very edge of the Earth that it is a 3D render.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2009
    916 Posts
    If for some reason I got to go into space, I always thought I'd try an HDR image of the Earth, so you can see all the stars and milky way behind the Earth.
    Try finding somewhere steady to set your tripod while orbiting at 17,000 mph.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    November 2011
    95 Posts
    Absolutely gorgeous.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    428 Posts

Plus there's no stars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    June 2011
    17 Posts
    My friend told me about this, it's pretty epic. he also said he saw a 12000x12000 picture of a town. does anybody know where i can find it. thanks

22. Post #22
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,842 Posts
    Plus there's no stars.
    Of course there's no stars, there wouldn't be stars even if it wasn't fake.
    If you wanted to see the stars, the Earth would be severely overexposed. (Unless the image was a combination of several images, HDR style)

23. Post #23

I thought this was slightly obvious the edges of the earth seems pretty fake.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    439 Posts
    cant see nj :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,707 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)