1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,755 Posts

Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-in-senate.ars

[release]Members of the Senate are rushing for the exits in the wake of the Internet's unprecedented protest of the Protect IP Act (PIPA). At least 13 members of the upper chamber announced their opposition on Wednesday. In a particularly severe blow from Hollywood, at least five of the newly-opposed Senators were previously sponsors of the Protect IP Act.

The newly-opposed Senators are skewed strongly to the Republican side of the aisle. An Ars Technica survey of Senators' positions on PIPA turned up only two Democrats, Ben Cardin (D-MD) and Jeff Merkley (D-OR), who announced their opposition on Wednesday. The other 11 Senators who announced their opposition on Wednesday were all Republicans. These 13 join a handful of others, including Jerry Moran (R-KS), Rand Paul (R-KY), Mark Warner (D-VA), and Ron Wyden (D-OR), who have already announced their opposition.

Marco Rubio, a freshman Republican Senator from Florida who some consider to be a rising star, withdrew his sponsorship of the bill, citing "legitimate concerns about the impact the bill could have on access to the Internet and about a potentially unreasonable expansion of the federal government's power to impact the Internet." He urged the Senate to "avoid rushing through a bill that could have many unintended consequences."

Another co-sponsor, Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) echoed that sentiment. He blamed Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) for "pushing forward w/ a flawed bill that still needs much work."

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), one of the chamber's longest-serving members and another sponsor, described the Protect IP Act as "simply not ready for prime time."

The partisan slant of the defections is surprising because copyright has not traditionally been considered a partisan issue. Before Wednesday's protests, PIPA had 16 Republican co-sponsors and 23 Democratic ones. The bill lost a quarter of its Republican sponsors on Wednesday, while we know of only one Democrat, Ben Cardin (D-MD), who dropped his support.

Those who dropped their support were most likely bolstered by strong opposition from conservative think tanks and blogs. On Tuesday, the influential Heritage Foundation announced that it would include SOPA and PIPA as a key issue on its voter scorecard. And the popular conservative blog redstate.com, whose founder threatened to mount primary challengers to SOPA supporters last month, has been hailing Senators who come out in opposition.

Neither side is close to having a majority. A whip count by OpenCongress found 35 supporters (including 34 cosponsors), 18 opponents, and 12 more Senators leaning toward opposition. About 35 Senators have not committed to a position, perhaps reluctant to do so for fear of angering either deep-pocketed Hollywood campaign contributors or their constituents back home.

Here is the full list of new opponents. An * indicates a former sponsor.

Roy Blunt (R-MO) *
    John Boozman (R-AR) *
    Scott Brown (R-MA)
    Ben Cardin (D-MD) *
    John Cornyn (R-TX)
    Jim DeMint (R-SC)
    Orrin Hatch (R-UT) *
    James Inhofe (R-OK)
    Mark Kirk (R-IL)
    Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
    Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
    Marco Rubio (R-FL) *
    Olympia Snowe (R-ME)

Update: David Vitter (R-LA) is now also opposed. He was previously a co-sponsor of the legislation.[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 190Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    MPAA cry more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 50 (list)

3. Post #3
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,999 Posts
    "pushing forward w/ a flawed bill that still needs much work."
    How about stop pushing it at all and let it fall down the 85 degree hill you've been pushing it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 68Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2008
    1,455 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2011
    486 Posts
    SOPA and PIPA aren't evil, just overgeneralized.
    Piracy is still a serious problem. Wouldn't you like 99c songs again?

EDIT:
    I see the Senators can't use their wikipedia today
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 80Disagree x 18Funny x 3Agree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    This probably isn't a good idea
    October 2007
    3,401 Posts
    Nice mix of democrats and republicans there as well, which is a very good sign.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 46 (list)

7. Post #7
    Glorious news.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    April 2011
    2,876 Posts
    For the first time ever, I've been seeing people talk about SOPA on Facebook. This blackout is good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 70 (list)

9. Post #9
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,216 Posts
    Awesome!

10. Post #10
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    17,701 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 41Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,801 Posts
    that was a bad song
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    i'm suspicious of this sudden change of opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    17,701 Posts
    negative opinion of SOPA and PIPA have hit facebook, and tens of millions of people are now completely aware not only that it exists, but the ramifications of it, and care (at least in my news feed, and this is fucking australia). the bill/s are dead and these congressmen know it. hopefully you're not implying that self-preservation is suspicious in this day and age? Lamar Smith is the figurehead of this shit and his career is over, these people want out before they get lumped in with him too. and it'll work, let's face it, we won't remember these guys half a year from now, but lamar forever be known as "that SOPA cunt"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 41Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    April 2011
    2,876 Posts
    Snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    Man I like how so many of those politicians flip flopped cause they saw who was going to win and saw the outcry. Really makes their motives as politicians transparent.

I'd rather have a politician who actually stands for their principles rather than someone just there for the money.

Them doing it is for the better obviously but it shows their true colours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    921 Posts
    SOPA and PIPA aren't evil, just overgeneralized.
    Piracy is still a serious problem. Wouldn't you like 99c songs again?

EDIT:
    I see the Senators can't use their wikipedia today
    I agree, although I doubt they will lower prices due to less piracy.

I wouldn't mind legislation that actually stops piracy without impacting the flow and availability of information on the internet. But since that's virtually impossible I can't accept anything they try to write. Piracy is wrong, no matter how hard you try to justify it, but it's much worse to throw innocent people in jail because of flawed legislation. I'd rather corporations lose a few million in profits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    black people
    April 2008
    3,934 Posts
    Not at all. Opposition wasn't nearly as huge as the opposition today. Now the bills have no chance of really passing without a huge major conflict.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Man I like how so many of those politicians flip flopped cause they saw who was going to win and saw the outcry. Really makes their motives as politicians transparent.

I'd rather have a politician who actually stands for their principles rather than someone just there for the money.

Of course they're there to be elected.
    They aren't there to be there for one term. They want to please the people who would vote for them.

It's not a bad thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    LOL
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,070 Posts
    Everyone, censor your Steam names using this: My name is normally Apple, I changed it to A█████. Join the protest!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 6Funny Funny x 5Late Late x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,216 Posts
    I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for reddit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,741 Posts

God forbid representatives represent anyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    The people have spoken, and for once the representatives have listened
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2011
    2,853 Posts
    About time Vitter did something fucking right.

24. Post #24
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,654 Posts
    And this is why you don't fuck with the internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    17,169 Posts
    MPAA, you're going to need more propaganda and money, because people aren't buying your shit to such a heavy degree, that even your bribed pawns are running away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    It's still a close win for SOPA in the house, check it here: http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

Edited:

Wow, Michelle Bachmann opposes it

She finally got something right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,892 Posts
    FREEEEEEEDOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

28. Post #28
    May 2010
    1,964 Posts
    In my opinion (my hopeful opinion, I may add), ever since the SOPA/PIPA scene 'hit' Facebook, it was all over (or at least a major blow had been dealt). You know that study that said that about 4 people separate people on Facebook, even if they're in Siberia or something? (Yeah this isn't entirely accurate, but eh) Well... yeah. It's spreading like wildfire. I've heard of people for it on Facebook, but so many people... Friends will tell friends, kids will tell parents, parents will tell other parents, and etcetera and onwards. I know that a decent bit of the kids on Facebook aren't exactly... well... not intelligent, per-say, just... nevermind, intelligent, but hopefully they will still tell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    July 2010
    1,347 Posts
    It's still a close win for SOPA in the house, check it here: http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
    There are still 348 unknown stances in the House.

30. Post #30
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    There are still 348 unknown stances in the House.
    Although I'm usually against lobbying, in this case I actually really wish Google would just pay a bunch of congressmen to vote against it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,765 Posts
    The support/opposition for the bill is pretty divided now. Even if it does pass, if Obama vetoes it, it's pretty much guaranteed not to pass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,827 Posts
    it's almost as though politicians don't actually have views and just pander to their electorate

next you'll be telling me Rick Perry was a democrat a decade ago!

Edited:

Edited:

Wow, Michelle Bachmann opposes it

She finally got something right
    Now that she's out of the race she doesn't need to act as crazy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,516 Posts
    THIS is how democracy should fucking work.

Senators' votes should be based on the views of their CONSTITUENTS not their LOBBYISTS.

Brownie points to everyone who contacted their Senators! Now lets do it again for SOPA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,827 Posts
    republicans defending freedom?
    what crazy pre-9/11 world am I in?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 25Agree Agree x 9 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    13,199 Posts
    The support/opposition for the bill is pretty divided now. Even if it does pass, if Obama vetoes it, it's pretty much guaranteed not to pass.
    If Obama vetoes it doesn't it just go back to be voted on again?

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,748 Posts

Well think about it, politicians are supposed to act in the best interest of their constituents. They saw their constituents hated SOPA so they turned against it in order to stay in office
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,545 Posts
    I'm Novangel and I approve this message
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Artistic x 3Agree x 2Disagree x 1Informative x 1Friendly x 1Dumb x 1Funny x 1Optimistic x 1Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    If Obama vetoes it doesn't it just go back to be voted on again?
    It has to have a 2/3 majority rather than 51%
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    735 Posts
    As I personally see it, SOPA is based on the fact that companies are knowing hosting pirated content. Megaupload, Putlocker, and Videozer just to name a few are banking money from ads on content that is owned by Television and Movie industry. The problem is the bill itself doesn't exclude anyone running a site that has no intent in making money from pirated content that their userbase uploads. I personally think if they ever want to get somewhere with this they need to attack those people on a case to case basis. Not some bill/law that allows the U.S. government to lock up anybody without fair trial, that is just absurd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    It's basically everyone saving their asses and getting good PR by going against something the general public thinks is bad.
    Besides a few of the younger, more informed politicians, of course. Like that guy who posted in a game company's forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)