1. Post #1
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,228 Posts
    Jan. 12 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. video-game sales declined 21 percent to $3.99 billion last month, led by a drop in purchases of hardware such as consoles and handheld players.

Retail sales of hardware tumbled 28 percent, while software purchases shrank 14 percent, researcher NPD Group Inc. said today in an e-mailed statement. Accessories declined 27 percent, NPD said.

Sales for the year fell 8 percent to $17 billion, according to the Port Washington, New York-based researcher.
    http://news.businessweek.com/article...1289RBNNAC5P4N

I guess it's due to smartphone games are cheap and lots of F2P, MMO, or "Lots of content per dollar" games (Steam games like TF2, tons of indies like Dungeon Defenders, etc). The source doesn't include why since it's just an economics site, but it does make sense if you look at all the people who JUST play TF2, or JUST play League of Legends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 16Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,516 Posts
    Well there really hasn't been any decent new consoles out lately. There is also a distinct lack of games that are great anymore too. It's all fillershit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 103Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,507 Posts
    I'd wager the majority of American households (w/ children) have consoles. Can only sell so many of a single product.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,256 Posts
    Well there really hasn't been any decent new consoles out lately. There is also a distinct lack of games that are great anymore too. It's all fillershit.
    this

with all the consoles approaching 5-6 years old it's no wonder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

5. Post #5
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    We are also in the middle of a recession.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 45Informative Informative x 5Disagree Disagree x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,173 Posts
    I'm honestly not surprised. Generic games for old consoles.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,507 Posts
    We are also in the middle of a recession.
    Recession (U.S.) ended around September.

EDIT:

For the economic geniuses here,

The recession = period in which the economy experienced negative growth. Economic growth reached the '+' side for the first time since 08' around Sept., and as such, the recession ended.

Effects of the recession =/= the recession, but even if that was your argument, unemployment is dropping and the economy is growing.
    ...you can refute whether things are better but you're retarded to refute the definition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree x 22Dumb x 5Agree x 4Funny x 2Informative x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,393 Posts
    I think most of the people that want a wii/360/ps3 already have one by now, anyways. They're all quite old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2009
    1,766 Posts
    Wii U will probably spike hardware sales.

(because it can play Wii games and everyone who just bought a wii will get it so that they can get new games and wii games)

[but nintendo said they'll still support the Wii because people are still buying it]

{brackets}
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    7,024 Posts
    Recession (U.S.) ended around September.
    Then why do we have an 8.5% unemployment rate and a 15.225 trillion national debt?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,507 Posts
    ^ Doesn't understand what the word 'recession' entails
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    7,024 Posts
    re·ces·sion/riˈseSHən/
    Noun:
    A period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced

---

Videogame hardware sales dropping 21% sounds like reduced trade to me.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,819 Posts
    re·ces·sion/riˈseSHən/
    Noun:
    A period of temporary economic decline during which trade and industrial activity are reduced

---

Videogame hardware sales dropping 21% sounds like reduced trade to me.
    At a national level. An individual comodity or service does not represent a recession at a national or international level.

That being said, though, we've been in and out of the recession twice, but we've dumped back in not long ago. We may be pulling out soon, but we are still in a recession. Regardless, economic times haven't gotten any better. Real unemployment is closer to 12.5% and underemployment included we're at 15% or higher.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,507 Posts
    re·ces·sion/riˈseSHən/
    Noun:
    The recession = period in which the economy experienced negative growth. Economic growth reached the '+' side for the first time since 08' around Sept., and as such, the recession ended.

Effects of the recession =/= the recession, but even if that was your argument, unemployment is dropping and the economy is growing.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,039 Posts
    I think it's mostly because there hasn't been a huge game in a while. I think Skyrim and Arkham City were the only games I bought last year. If developers want my money, they need to make better games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

16. Post #16
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    It doesn't matter about the exact definition. People don't have as much to spend these days as they did half a decade ago, and that is contributing to the decline of gaming hardware.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,285 Posts
    Chances are someone is going to blame this on people who pirate games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    7,024 Posts
    I think it's mostly because there hasn't been a huge game in a while. I think Skyrim and Arkham City were the only games I bought last year. If developers want my money, they need to make better games.
    It's not too late to buy:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,764 Posts
    Wii U will probably spike hardware sales.

(because it can play Wii games and everyone who just bought a wii will get it so that they can get new games and wii games)

[but nintendo said they'll still support the Wii because people are still buying it]

{brackets}
    Subtract from that the casual audience that the original Wii was geared toward, because they're gone. Smartphones took them away and Nintendo isn't getting them back. Couple that with a bunch of other things working against them, and the "spike" will likely look like a "lump" in comparison to how the Wii did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    February 2008
    367 Posts

You're just arguing semantics. Regardless of what you call it, we're still in the middle of an economic shithole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #21
    April 2009
    1,766 Posts
    Subtract from that the casual audience that the original Wii was geared toward, because they're gone. Smartphones took them away and Nintendo isn't getting them back. Couple that with a bunch of other things working against them, and the "spike" will likely look like a "lump" in comparison to how the Wii did.
    Yeah

well

what about when Smash Bros 4 comes out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,578 Posts
    i dont like console games

or pc games that much either

i'm boring

playing federal debt simulator games is more fun than COD11: SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS edition
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    September 2009
    303 Posts
    that's a bit of a stretch, o master wordsmith

en·tail
    verb (used with object)
    to cause or involve by necessity or as a consequence: a loss entailing no regret.
    to impose as a burden: Success entails hard work.
    to limit the passage of (a landed estate) to a specified line of heirs, so that it cannot be alienated, devised, or bequeathed.
    to cause (anything) to descend to a fixed series of possessors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 15 (list)

24. Post #24
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    9,202 Posts
    FINALLY. Now Rockstar would finally stop making shitting ports.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    435 Posts
    Yeah

well

Damn it Im so sick of sequels, I want a developer to make something new and original instead of being pussies and sticking with the same shit every year.

I'm not surprised that hardware sales are dropping, the 5-6 year old machines are becoming more and more obsolete.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,742 Posts
    Damn it Im so sick of sequels, I want a developer to make something new and original instead of being pussies and sticking with the same shit every year.

I'm not surprised that hardware sales are dropping, the 5-6 year old machines are becoming more and more obsolete.
    What an inane thing to say. Now even one game in the series per console is too much for you people? I think the game industry would be absolute awful if good ideas were tossed out because they've been used once, and all we had left was whatever people came up with just to seem new.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    ?
    January 2006
    5,174 Posts
    Yeah

well

The casual crowd still won't care?

28. Post #28
    :-)
    December 2007
    4,211 Posts
    I think the only AAA games I bought last year was Saints Row: The Third and Portal 2.

Just about everything out nowadays is just a imitation of CoD or it's some gimmicky crap that doesn't really work out well.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,192 Posts
    Market saturation from not having a new console in six years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

30. Post #30
    February 2010
    6,750 Posts
    Ugh, this means more consoles are going to come out so I'll feel extremely obliged to buy the Wii U or something if I want to play certain games.

Why can't Nintendo ditch the motion controls and port a Zelda or Mario game to PC just for shits and giggles and to see what happens?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,915 Posts
    PSVita and Wii U will probably bring hardware sales back up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    PSVita and Wii U will probably bring hardware sales back up.
    PS Vita would have a much more positive outlook if they really started marketing the damn thing. 90% of the people who come into our Gamestop have no idea that the PS Vita actually exists, much less that it's coming out in a month and a half.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts
    Considering how well the industry was doing relative to the rest of the economy, this is kind of a surprise.

34. Post #34
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,540 Posts
    PS Vita would have a much more positive outlook if they really started marketing the damn thing. 90% of the people who come into our Gamestop have no idea that the PS Vita actually exists, much less that it's coming out in a month and a half.
    It is a bit odd that there hasn't been much advertising for it yet. But Taco Bell is going to have a vita sweepstakes, so that might get peoples attention.

35. Post #35
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,915 Posts
    Sony is probably going to do a marketing blitz.

they're going to need a lot of Kevin Butler commercials if they want people to buy this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    October 2010
    11,828 Posts
    I wonder if this is effected at all by the fact that PC gaming is becoming more popular

(if I remember correctly. I read somewhere about that, I may be wrong though)

37. Post #37
    July 2010
    281 Posts
    I personally avoid consoles because they're expensive as hell and my PC can do everything they can do, only so much better.
    Plus, I'm really starting to love the independent scene that has sprung up on the PC lately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,697 Posts
    Take THAT, console sector!

~*Pc 4 LyFe*~

But seriously, this doesn't come as a surprise really. As already stated, we're in/came out of a recession, and things aren't looking good all around. One of the last things on peoples' minds are buying a console.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    January 2010
    3,067 Posts
    telekinetic dildos are the main cause behind this

now we dont need our right hands for late night girlfriends, we can all pretend to be girls now with 30 year old men on omegle

who needs videogames????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    OFWGKTA
    July 2011
    9,689 Posts
    I'll say it, I misinterpreted the title of this post. I was hoping that hardware became cheaper, I feel like a dumbass as I'm typing this. But yeah, I agree a lot of the games nowadays are just filling the gaps of maybe 1 or 2 really good ones or big titles here and there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)