1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    PCWorld.com posted:
    Anticipating a growing market for smart television sets, Canonical will be demonstrating a version of its popular Ubuntu Linux OS that can be used for running TVs.

"It's an operating system and experience for your television," said Canonical CEO Jane Silber. The company is hoping television manufacturers will adopt Ubuntu as a base for their own smart television sets. "We're focusing on making the TV intuitive and usable again, with a single, elegant interface."

The global market for smart televisions is expected to balloon, reaching US$265 billion by 2016, up from $64 million in 2011, estimates the MarketsandMarkets research firm. A smart TV is one that can not only show cable and over-the-air television shows, but, thanks to some built-in computational ability, also offer a user interface to allow viewers to pull video from the Internet, run applications and peruse channel guides more easily.

Although Canonical originally designed Ubuntu as a Linux-based OS for desktop and laptop computers and servers, the company's plans to court television manufacturers such as Sony and LG is part of a broader strategy to offer Ubuntu for a wide range of processor-embedded consumer devices, including automobiles, tablets and various household appliances.

Ubuntu TV "is a first proof point on a broader device strategy," Silber said.

For Ubuntu TV, Canonical wants to partner with television manufacturers; it has no intention to build its own television. It is in talks with several manufacturers, and it is also in the early stages of conversations with content providers as well.

While a relatively new player in the space of embedded OSes, Canonical offers a lot of advantages to OEMs (original equipment manufacturers), Silber argued. Canonical is a "neutral party" and doesn't tie its platform to content offerings, allowing manufacturers to develop their own offerings and forge their own revenue-sharing partnerships, Silber said.

"For manufacturers that post-sale service revenue is an important piece," Silber said.

Ubuntu could be advantageous for a number of other reasons as well. It is an open platform, which will allow manufacturers to participate in the development process. Also, the OS, thanks to its large installed user base, already has many developers who are familiar with the platform. "That ecosystem is something manufacturers need along with a platform," Silber said.

Canonical will offer a base version of Ubuntu TV, although manufacturers will be free to alter the software to meet their own hardware specifications, allowing them to adjust the OS for their own choices in CPU, memory, screen-size, storage space, input devices and other factors.

When turned on, an Ubuntu TV would offer a searchable channel guide of what could be watched by cable or over the airwaves. The TV could host applications, such as those offering pay-per-view content. The OS could also show user's own video, from the cloud or from a networked computer in the same house. It does not, however, include a browser. Silber expected that users would browse with a handheld device, such as a tablet or a smartphone.

"It looks like Ubuntu. It has the Unity interface," Silber said.

Ubuntu is facing serious competition. Also at CES, Lenovo launched its first smart TV, a unit based on Google's Android OS that can recognize voice commands and work as a karaoke machine. Last week, Google announced that it had partnered with Samsung, LG and Sony to bring the second generation of its Google TV to more devices.

And while Apple has made no formal announcement yet, industry observers are expecting the company to launch an integrated television set as soon as this year, one that could possibly command the market for smart televisions in much the same way its iPods quickly dominated the market for digital music players.

Even with Apple's impending entry, Silber is confident that Canonical can carve out a space for Ubuntu. "Apple is a single solution, and manufacturers and content owners are much more wary now of Apple's walled garden approach. People we talk with are very confident there is a market for non-Apple players, and that the ecosystem needs that neutral platform," Silber said. "And I think Ubuntu is the best fit there."
    [source]
    Ubuntu TV website
    Install the development version NOW!

Normally, I wouldn't care so much, but this has a few things going for it:
    * The Desktop/Integrated smart TV market is saturated with garbage.
    * Integrates video downloads with the already-robust Ubuntu One cloud storage service.
    * This is an actual operating system, just with a television-friendly shell. No need to get developers used to something new.
    * The content is up to the providers, meaning it isn't locked down to whatever the company can coax out, unlike most current ones.
    * It (seems to) work seamlessly with normal cable and broadcasting.

Will it actually catch on? Probably not, given the history of these things (Apple releases something, it becomes popular, then everyone flocks over to Google), but this is probably the first real shot that Canonical has to inject themselves into a major market. Let's see if it works.

PS: I know there's already a thread in the Linux section, I just felt this needed one here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 47Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Loving the UI. Sexy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,088 Posts
    Looks great. Hopefully it'll raise awareness of Canonical too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,033 Posts
    Now I need to know the pricing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Now I need to know the pricing.
    The software itself is free to download. The television, though? That's another story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

6. Post #6
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    9,206 Posts
    I like how they can't afford to use the real instrumentals of I got a feeling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2010
    5,276 Posts
    Looks pretty damn nice. As long as it remains simple then I would actually consider this. Can it stream from other devices on a network though?

Silly question it more than likely does.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Looks pretty damn nice. As long as it remains simple then I would actually consider this. Can it stream from other devices on a network though?

Silly question it more than likely does.
    Yeah, you can stream from anywhere on your network.

9. Post #9
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    6,185 Posts
    Now. How much will this cost? Or would you just plug it into your current TV?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,808 Posts
    Loving the UI. Sexy.
    That's Ubuntu Linux's layout. If you download it for a PC it'll look like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,540 Posts
    So can I just set up this on my old laptop with an IR sensor and hook it to my tv?

12. Post #12
    April 2010
    3,382 Posts
    Fucking sexy.

*pelvic thrusts*

13. Post #13
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,878 Posts
    Ubuntu TV... on a Raspberry Pi.... fuck yes.

(it'd probably lag though)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2011
    410 Posts
    Ubuntu TV... on a Raspberry Pi.... fuck yes.

(it'd probably lag though)
    If i remember correctly, Canonical has ended development for ARM devices, so you wouldn't be able to do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,827 Posts
    The global market for smart televisions is expected to balloon, reaching US$265 billion by 2016, up from $64 million in 2011
    can you say optimistic any faster?

The market will increase by 410 thousand percent!

Edited:

So can I just set up this on my old laptop with an IR sensor and hook it to my tv?
    Or you could even just not set it up and use your laptop connected to the TV screen with a controller

Edited:

[img]A smart TV is one that can not only show cable and over-the-air television shows, but, thanks to some built-in computational ability, also offer a user interface to allow viewers to pull video from the Internet, run applications and peruse channel guides more easily.[/img]

How make a smart TV!
    Step 1. Plug computer into TV

Done!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,666 Posts
    I am going to get my extra PC parts to set this up.

17. Post #17
    August 2010
    2,422 Posts
    And that's how Linux gains it's grains.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,840 Posts
    Basically a glorified propritary-TV with a built in Rokubox as far as I can tell, even if it does use ubuntu as it's background

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,230 Posts
    Holy crap, if being able to record entire television series is a real feature, this is a buy for me.

20. Post #20
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,722 Posts
    I assume you can stream Netflix through this?

21. Post #21
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    16,090 Posts
    Holy crap, if being able to record entire television series is a real feature, this is a buy for me.
    ever hear of DVR?

22. Post #22
    October 2010
    2,100 Posts
    ever hear of DVR?
    Pffft, ever heard of VCR?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,230 Posts
    ever hear of DVR?
    Yeah, but having it automatically record an entire series episode by episode and then arranging them in order?

24. Post #24
    July 2008
    3,769 Posts
    Yeah, but having it automatically record an entire series episode by episode and then arranging them in order?
    My DVR does that already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    October 2010
    2,100 Posts
    My DVR does that, and it's a fairly old and cheap one.

26. Post #26
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,110 Posts
    I'll stick with XP MCE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,498 Posts
    It would be even better if there's an option that allows the user to boot into a full fledge Ubuntu

28. Post #28
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    First thought upon booting Natty and seeing Unity for the first time:
    "I really hate this as a desktop interface, but it'd make a bitching media center interface."
    Wish granted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,379 Posts
    It looks exactly the same as unity.

30. Post #30
    October 2010
    11,830 Posts
    Nice, let's hope it does well, we need more support for open source OSs!

31. Post #31

January 2012
    117 Posts
    I hate that Unity colour scheme, why did they abandon the brownish interface that was better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I hate that Unity colour scheme, why did they abandon the brownish interface that was better.
    They're both pretty damn horrible.
    Here's hoping for they offer a wide selection of color themes that the end-user can easily change without having to look in a manual.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2009
    1,350 Posts
    They did have an alright range of window and taskbar themes in the last releases of Ubuntu, I wish they had some good wallpapers to go with them, though.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,846 Posts
    Here's hoping for they offer a wide selection of color themes that the end-user can easily change without having to look in a manual.
    Or swim in BASH to hunt down a config file somewhere and then google color codes and XML tags.
    And then realize that you need root.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    921 Posts
    I hope they still sell regular old TV sets after this, my media center computer blows pretty much everything they wanna create away, because I don't care if I have a seperate box from the TV. I don't even care if this software is on there, as long as I don't have to see it.

It's one thing to replace a PDA and cellphone combo with a smart phone, but it's an entirely different story to try and combine a television set and something as powerful as a computer. At least with a computer, I can choose the OS and hardware. If I ever have to root/jailbreak my TV...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,669 Posts
    To be honest, it wouldn't be too hard to create a decent automated theme installer for Linux. Just have the location of the folder themes get stored in held in the config file, and have a self extracting archive, or a actual installer use that to extract their contents to the folder.

That would assume that everybody who makes themes using this isn't a total wankstain who stores things that won't work in the installers designed for this purpose.

37. Post #37
    I like the news
    Dennab
    July 2009
    3,373 Posts
    it will crash and burn like zune

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,669 Posts
    it will crash and burn like zune
    Linux is already everywhere. You just don't see it because it isn't Linux as we see it on desktops, it's used for embedded systems everywhere. This could be incredibly successful, assuming that Canonical keep it up to date, and keep the features nice to use. It being free for manufacturers will also help the pricing a shit ton, making it so viable for SmartTVs.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,366 Posts
    apart from the graphics, it looks identical to our samsung

40. Post #40
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,584 Posts
    I would like to see this UI on my phone