1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,232 Posts
    Looking though videos on Youtube and hearing what people say on this forum, I've been seeing a lot of this:

"Hello im 15 years oldi would like to apologise for what my generation has done to music.that is* all."

My question is;

Is this correct and our generation is creating garbage music, or are people not looking hard enough for good current bands and have that, "I hate my generation" Mentality that exists in 90's cartoon fanatics?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,914 Posts
    I wouldn't say that our generation is making bad music, but simply bad popular music. Think about it, the "outsiders" if you will, never seem to appreciate pop that much. A noted exception might be grunge in the 90s, or rock in the 60s and 70s, but those are the only two I can think of.

It's basically like the 1980s all over again in terms of music. Personally, I enjoy bands like Porcupine Tree and Daft Punk, and they still tour and make music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    10,977 Posts
    Lots of studios are just picking up anyone to make a profit now and that's why music is so shitty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,418 Posts
    People aren't looking hard enough. Hands down.

There was as much shit music in the 80's and 90's as there is now, but all anyone remembers is the good music from that era.

It feels as if there is more shit music nowadays because of social networking and youtube. There isn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,433 Posts
    Songs nowadays are polluted with Auto-tune. It began in the early 2000 era.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,687 Posts
    I'd say it's about 50/50. We haven't been looking hard enough for good music, but as the bad music gets more and more popular, people are saying 'oh people like this lets make more' and more bad music is produced
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    November 2009
    3,667 Posts
    In all honestly, in a lot of cases it is:

Mainstream pop = Bad
    Indie/Underground/Not well known = Better than mainstream pop.

Sure some mainstream songs are alright, but they get noticed first because they are just thrown out there directly at us. My take on it at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Quq

December 2010
    1,308 Posts
    music is the sort of thing that looks a lot better in hindsight. looking back at the 1960s, for example, we remember the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan etc because they are the artists whose popularity has endured. There was just as much bad music then as there is now, but we don't think of it because it's no longer in the public consciousness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,522 Posts
    Most popular music nowadays is just taking everything "everyday people" want and smashing it together into a lovely marketing extravaganza. And by lovely I mean terrible.

I started a group on Facebook between me and friends and their friends and their friends which basically share music that you don't hear on the radio, and I'm hearing a lot of awesome indie rock, electronic, and more. It's all from this generation too.

It all depends on where you look, basically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    July 2010
    4,880 Posts
    "Bad music" is subject to opinion, and as long as we hold independent thought, there will always be a portion of individuals who will not like certain music of their generation. You may think "music is dead nowadays oh my god the future looks horrible etc etc!", but you should consider what many oldies would think about rock and roll when it was introduced. Hint: They thought just like what you do now about current music. But guess what? It doesn't matter! Music is not going to die, it's just your brain holding conservative views about what music you like. There's no problem with that.

Musicians nowadays are no worse than musicians 50 years ago, it's just that you were raised listening to different music than what people listened to 50 years ago. Your opinion is irrelevant. Why can't you just listen to the music you like and not go bashing other people for what they like? What gives you the right to say that the music they like is shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    May 2009
    1,524 Posts
    I would say more that this generation's music tastes are shit. However, there are really good music out there. If you can't find that then yeah, you're not looking hard enough.

12. Post #12
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    10,410 Posts
    I have pretty strange taste in music (video game sound tracks mostly, Sonic especially) but I agree most modern music sucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13

October 2011
    277 Posts
    Way to mutch autotune.
    Way too mutch garbage.
    TBH, you can still find some good things, but most modern "pop" sucks.

(E.S. Posthumus FTW)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,474 Posts
    The bad songs are getting way too much popularity and exposure.

Several radio stations where I live ONLY play what is in the top 20, and you'll often hear the same song up to 3 times in the same 90 minutes.

15. Post #15

December 2011
    458 Posts
    I think we can safely say we will never have a true second ZZ Top, Deep Purple, Simon and Garfunkel, Queen, The Who, etc

Currently pop music is being bad. Simon and Garfunkel did "Pop Music", the difference is, is back then, Sound of Silence and Bridge Over Troubled Water where the sort of things the majority liked.

Now people want BIG RACK CITY BIG RACK CITY STOMP EM IN DAH NUTS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,254 Posts
    It could be that producers and other investors want to get more money with less money, which may reflect on the quality of music if they wanna add some "definite hit" stuff in them. Or in them music videos which play a huge role in success.

And music has been played for a LONG time, even in just the last 10 years. So how can anyone even come up with new chords anymore?

But there's some shit even in the last 2 years that I'd listen. And funny how you'd say "People are not looking hard enough" when they (who? Teens and kids?) are looking HARD at like MTV and what have you in America. All I see is $$$$$$.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    10,736 Posts
    There's a lot more money being poured into it than there was in the 60s-70s, it leads to less focus on things that are good because the factory-churned shit gets so much more publicity. Then there's the people who just make shitty stuff they know will be a hit but that's been around for ages.

A big point I'd like to make though is that you're focussing on the good ones from the past, not the whole thing. The good ones come through, people remember them, the shit ones are pushed to the back of people's memories. Ask anyone who actually lived then, they'll tell you how much shit was around. Most will probably tell you how much they unappreciated the good stuff too.

A little taste

18. Post #18
    playdoh
    May 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Most popular music nowadays is just taking everything "everyday people" want and smashing it together into a lovely marketing extravaganza. And by lovely I mean terrible.

I started a group on Facebook between me and friends and their friends and their friends which basically share music that you don't hear on the radio, and I'm hearing a lot of awesome indie rock, electronic, and more. It's all from this generation too.

It all depends on where you look, basically.
    Sign me up for that.

But on topic: Music in recent years is mostly just an extremely vast marketing scheme, rarely do you see a popular musician/band/pop idol with actual talent. Not to say that they suck, its just that they are corporate buyouts with no spirit, simply singing what the people want and not influencing the people like they are supposed to.

19. Post #19
    January 2010
    9,676 Posts
    This generation is just bad popular music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    No. There was "shit" music back then aswell, and this feeling will always exist.
    Next generation after ours will also get to a point in life where they will say "Music is shit nowadays, back in my days, music was good". And this being said by people from a generation that we recognized as having awful music.

Although nowadays, all I see is increadibly shitty clicheish lyrics who have no meaning at all or mean everything that is wrong with the world (stuff about being gangsta and so on) and rehashes of songs that used to be good and were smacked to the ground in some way.

Also, to me, dubstep all sounds the same. Either that or I've been listening to the same artist over and over again and all his shit sounds EXACTLY ALIKE.

21. Post #21
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,648 Posts
    Music production is good.

Music taste has gone to shit, so even shitty bands can become big.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2012
    61 Posts
    I feel like it's a combination of both shitty music making and people not looking hard enough, Like someone in this thread said 'Lots of studios are just picking up anyone to make a profit' which I believe true, perhaps all of this is due to easy music production, I mean think about it, No one needs talent anymore if you're singing you can auto tune yourself but who said singing is necessary these days? Now we can just make cheap beats on computers and change them a little throughout a song. As to why we're not looking hard enough or why It's hard to find -- there are still good musicians out there but because of the huge mass produced cheap pile of crap that get's featured youtube it's harder to find decent music.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,786 Posts
    This generation is making different music, the older generations always hate the new generations music.

24. Post #24
    I have a 1 inch cock erect but girls cum all over me
    April 2009
    724 Posts
    From my opinion, today's generation of music is more repetitive and many (not all) popular music out there have simple lyrics that are iconic and easy to remember (sort of). There's also alot of loud synthesizers that just totally funk up the music, not alot of effort is needed to create a simple repetitive melody. With my Garage Band app on my Mac, if I had a small tune, I could really just put that into my template, add some bunch of sound effects and voila, I'm done. Technology has really changed what music is really.
    Back in the olden days, popular songs such as "Yesterday" by the Beatles really had alot of meaning and hours of effort, really thinking and playing many times to create a wonderful song. Without the aid of technology back then, many famous artists would have had to really think and think again about their music, erase their notes from the sheet music only to replace it by a new note countless and endless amounts of time.
    Jazz and many other types of genre that have been played back in the olden days and now are all still good. I still love jazz and soul because whenever people do solos, etc from a simple melody, they really understand and feel the music to make music flow and to sense a form of heaven in the ears. It's so disappointing that jazz is fading out quite alot now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,021 Posts
    It doesn't matter how popular music is, just wether you like it or not. And I'm finding that a lot of artists make music in the modern day that I heavily enjoy (Hypnos 69 <3), so I'm content.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    More and more different types of music. A lot of new music is almost universally shitty (like metzer or whatever that white noise crap is), some is only liked by some (rap and dubstep), some can be pretty good but not well known (hipster music). There are a lot more genres and artists now than there were 50 years ago, and therefore less consensus on what sucks and what doesn't suck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    I wish I had a tentacle hand. Japan would pay billions for some real-life tentacles.
    February 2009
    4,406 Posts
    It's basically like the 1980s all over again in terms of music. Personally, I enjoy bands like Porcupine Tree and Daft Punk, and they still tour and make music.
    I wish. I still want to see them live one day.

But yes, I dislike most of the pop music, but there's still loads of good music made by this generation. You just have to look outside of the pop-circuit, that's all.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    People's taste in music is subjective. What you think is shit music isn't going to be another person's idea of shit music. 14 year old girls are probably going to think Justin Bieber is the pinnacle of musicianship and will think your taste in Slayer is shit. A lot of people are also going to think dubstep is awesome and will cringe when they hear some of your favorite music.

In about 30 years, you'll probably have little kids saying that they're sorry for this "disco revival" movement of the 2040s or something, and consider Kings of Leon or Radiohead to be one of the best bands of the old days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    PHD IN SUCKING DICK
    June 2008
    7,013 Posts
    The problem is is that people who don't enjoy 'popular' music act like their taste is objective. A lot of people actually enjoy popular music, and you shouldn't really care that much about it. It's not the end of the world because people have a different musical taste.

And there is still good music being made nowadays, it's just that these artists don't get a lot of attention because they aren't signed to a large label.

Edited:

People's taste in music is subjective. What you think is shit music isn't going to be another person's idea of shit music. 14 year old girls are probably going to think Justin Bieber is the pinnacle of musicianship and will think your taste in Slayer is shit. A lot of people are also going to think dubstep is awesome and will cringe when they hear some of your favorite music.

In about 30 years, you'll probably have little kids saying that they're sorry for this "disco revival" movement of the 2040s or something, and consider Kings of Leon or Radiohead to be one of the best bands of the old days.
    Hivemind.

30. Post #30
    January 2011
    2,285 Posts
    I think music is worse because of things like FruityLoops, but otherwise not alot has changed besides the better bands getting less popular.

I'd like to see where music is heading, the 10s have not changed at all. Maybe I'll bring back Rock, or maybe a whole new genre will start.

Anyway as a musician, you have to realise that it doesn't matter if the majority of music is shit if you still have your fans. Even small bands usually have a small crowd of fans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31

December 2011
    123 Posts
    People definately don't look hard enough.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,213 Posts
    people aren't looking hard enough

33. Post #33
    January 2012
    739 Posts
    Make shit music, Acquire currency

The quality of music is in the ear of the... beholder. But there can be no doubt that autotuned wailing and skrillex rake in the moneycash, so it is so its always been.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    No one remembers the bad music, and a lot more music is being made now, and I don't think the proportions of bad music to good music have changed much in the last 40-50 years. It's those reasons why I think that music quality isn't really changing, now more people have access to tools to create music, that makes more bad and good music.

35. Post #35
    July 2010
    144 Posts
    This can't really be a debate if you ask me because it is all 100% opinionated. Though honestly in 20-30 years we will all be saying music was better now because we remember all the good songs, But forget the bad songs.

36. Post #36
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Today's music is the best music. There are more genres and styles than ever. And there are more bands playing each genre than ever. If you think music today is crap then you don't know shit. You haven't even looked.

If you don't like today's pop music, then okay, that's your opinion. But don't say it "takes no talent" or is more "generic" than pop music was before. It's not true. You don't know what you're talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,534 Posts
    Depends how you look at it. The days of good jazz fusion and progressive rock are long gone.

We're into the new age of LCD Soundsystem, Fleet Foxes and SBTRKT which in all honesty is fine by me.

Edited:

I've been seeing a lot of this:

"Hello im 15 years oldi would like to apologise for what my generation has done to music.that is* all."
    Yeah that guys an idiot.

38. Post #38
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,044 Posts
    I think it's bad, the music before the 80'ties were good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,534 Posts
    Your opinion is irrelevant.
    Precisely.

But the bandwagons nowadays are much for refined and smaller.

Edited:

I think it's bad, the music before the 80'ties were good.
    That's because you only listen to things before the 80s.

40. Post #40
    December 2011
    72 Posts
    Define shit music ?