1. Post #1
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,172 Posts
    [release]Talk about stuff that isn't stuff you'd talk about elsewhere, etc etc
    Previous Threadlock due to Garry[/release]

I've gotten back into digital painting as a side hobby and I'm doing lots of thinking about how to apply methods and techniques to my photography without things being blatantly noticeable

alternatively, photography applied to painting for a surreal effect

hmmm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    Been photographing with my kit18-55 for quite awhile, next stop is a 50mm 1.4 right?

right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    Could anyone tell me if theres a way that costs little or no money to attach a 62mm lens hood to a 49mm filter thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,455 Posts
    Anyone heard good things about opteka? Looking to buy a cheap fisheye lens.

5. Post #5
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    Someone on my facebook go one for her Canon ‎400D I'll get the picture she posted

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,455 Posts
    Someone on my facebook go one for her Canon ‎400D I'll get the picture she posted
    Ahh cheers, do you know if that's the 0.2mm fisheye or the .35mm fisheye?

7. Post #7
    March 2011
    641 Posts
    Ahh cheers, do you know if that's the 0.2mm fisheye or the .35mm fisheye?
    All I know is its the kit lens.
    Probably the cheapest one.

8. Post #8
    November 2008
    2,257 Posts
    can't wait to get the adapter for these bad boys!

old school lenses!! by onesizeonly, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2009
    828 Posts
    Been photographing with my kit18-55 for quite awhile, next stop is a 50mm 1.4 right?

right?
    If you want I guess, but I'd get a 50mm 1.8. Much cheaper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,172 Posts

unless you're doing skateboard videos of your friends at the local park, I'd never recommend a filter adapter fisheye

here's some examples I found from the 0.35x opteka

so much distortion and aberration, even close to the center
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    834 Posts
    What a great way to start off the new year. Actually a can of whip cream exploded in my car while driving, not fun. It's actually pretty funny.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2009
    828 Posts
    Currently trying to take a decent startrail photo.. harder than I thought. D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,371 Posts
    unless you're doing skateboard videos of your friends at the local park, I'd never recommend a filter adapter fisheye

here's some examples I found from the 0.35x opteka

so much distortion and aberration, even close to the center
    Which fish-eye lens would you recommend for under $400?

14. Post #14
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,385 Posts
    I had a Samyang 8mm a few years ago. I got mine for around $300. There's one that's practically the same from Bower, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2008
    2,257 Posts
    quick question guys: what is the technique behind star trails? I'm eager to create some

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,943 Posts
    quick question guys: what is the technique behind star trails? I'm eager to create some
    Multiple long exposures (15-30 seconds) layered on top of each other in your photo manipulation program of choice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    November 2008
    2,257 Posts
    Multiple long exposures (15-30 seconds) layered on top of each other in your photo manipulation program of choice.
    I figured it was a long those lines but wasnt 100% sure, thankyou!

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,371 Posts
    In case you guys haven't heard, there's going to be a meteor shower tonight! (Viewable in at least Michigan for all I know)

What settings would you guys recommend for a night time meteor shoot like this? I've never tried shooting stars (or moving meteors before).

I was thinking something like high f-stop (around f11 or f22ish), low iso (around 100), low shutterspeed (around 10, 15, 30 etc), and auto wb off. Would a 18-55 lens be good? Or should I use a zoom lens and focus on one part of the sky?

19. Post #19
    November 2008
    1,196 Posts
    There are so many things I want to buy. I don't know whether to get a 50mm 1.4 or a xbox. And to go along with that, I need a new bag, a new tripod head, I would like a microphone and I need to sell all the old lens I have that don't fit my camera. (Including that P/KA adapter mount I got for free. Maybe sells for upwards of $100?! http://www.ebay.com/itm/PK-A-PKA-P-K...#ht_3459wt_983)

20. Post #20
    September 2010
    2,898 Posts
    fucking garry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,353 Posts
    There are so many things I want to buy. I don't know weather to get a 50mm 1.4 or a xbox. And to go along with that, I need a new bag, a new tripod head, I would like a microphone and I need to sell all the old lens I have that don't fit my camera. (Including that P/KA adapter mount I got for free. Maybe sells for upwards of $100?! http://www.ebay.com/itm/PK-A-PKA-P-K...#ht_3459wt_983)
    *whether

Also you have some major first world problems there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,622 Posts
    guys i need your help, i really can't sort out the wb on the subject of this photo.

heres a smaller original

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #23
    November 2008
    1,196 Posts
    *whether

Also you have some major first world problems there.
    Okay, thanks.

24. Post #24
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,385 Posts
    guys i need your help, i really can't sort out the wb on the subject of this photo.

Also this, if you want to preserve that purplish white on everything else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,172 Posts
    you could just composite together a version with the guy properly WB'd with the rest of the scene WB'd how you like
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,353 Posts
    Stuck in Schiphol for 6 hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2007
    624 Posts
    Stuck in Schiphol for 6 hours.
    Yesterday we had nice weather, eh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

28. Post #28
    hyper-articulate
    October 2007
    12,353 Posts
    I'm back in Edinburgh.

Woop.

Edited:

Yesterday we had nice weather, eh?
    I miss yesterday's Dutch weather, compared to what we have here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,201 Posts
    What is Nikon's equivalent to Canon's 5D Mark II?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,224 Posts
    What is Nikon's equivalent to Canon's 5D Mark II?
    D700 from what I understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    322 Posts
    D700 from what I understand.
    It's the closest Nikon to the mkII, but I wouldn't call it an equivalent because there is a significant difference between the Nikon's 12mp sensor and the canon's 21mp sensor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

32. Post #32
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,172 Posts
    pay attention to sensor quality before sensor size, though shooting the 21 obviously has more potential for sharpness when scaling down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    322 Posts
    pay attention to sensor quality before sensor size, though shooting the 21 obviously has more potential for sharpness when scaling down.
    Wise words. I work at best buy in the digital imaging department (cameras, camcorders, etc.) and I have to explain the concept to idiot customers all day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

34. Post #34
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,951 Posts
    just read DPreview's review of the Nex 7, and they said it has the best image quality of any APS-C sensored camera to date. that's a pretty good thing for sony.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    322 Posts
    just read DPreview's review of the Nex 7, and they said it has the best image quality of any APS-C sensored camera to date. that's a pretty good thing for sony.
    Now if only they made a single lens I would want to put on that camera...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,951 Posts
    yeah the lens selection is pretty bad unless you are adapting glass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,943 Posts
    Also I've been booked for a photo gig on the 10th, some 15 year old's going away party. Anyway it's 5 days away and she still doesn't know where it actually is, she just says that "The DJ is organising that, he's a little slack". If she thinks she can get a venue booking this time of year in 5 days she must be mentally disabled or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,224 Posts
    I'm not sure if it was DPreview but wasn't the high ISO quality a big step back due to the megapixel count? I think all the other pros would outweigh it, just that the 5N was superb with high ISO quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #39
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    12,951 Posts
    well the more megapixels definitely means the image was noisy at the full 24mp, but if you scale it down to the 5N's resolution of 16.1 then the image will be pretty much exactly the same in terms of noise performance. plus with handheld twilight high iso images aren't much of an issue anyways.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,224 Posts
    Good point. I find the 16mp I work with to be a bit too much. Publish them online in full size to Flickr as a means to back them up with my pro account. I emailed Grays of Westminster (who are Scientologist Nikon overlords I'm not kidding GOOGLE IT!) and MPB Photographic for a rough sum I could get for my current gear. Whatever I do my SB-700 is going, I never use it.