1. Post #1
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneck™
    December 2009
    7,258 Posts
    [release]The purpose of this thread is simple. It's for those that have quick questions regarding on anything computer or perhaps electronics related, where a thread is not necessarily required.

The reason of why such thread is created is to help reducing forums from being cluttered with threads on minor questions which tends to be ignored, as well as keeping other threads on topic such as the "Computer Illiterate think they know things" thread, where the thread have practically became a helpdesk request thread.

If you have any quick questions, such as "Can my computer run this game", or "How do I turn off automatic defragmentation", feel free to ask them here. If you have any questions that may require more opinions, diagnosing issues or is more complex opposing to a fast question along the lines of "What are some pros and cons over buying a GTX480 over the Radeon HD 5870", or "My computer BSODs when I plug in blah blah blah, and would not restart. Please help me diagnose my issue", it may be wiser to create a thread in an appropriate section instead. You may ask them in this thread too, but the resulting amount of attention you will receive on your question may be insufficient.

Please be descriptive about your question when possible, rather than saying "my computer does not work how to fix?"[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,970 Posts
    Ok so my mouse just died an there is no damn way I'm using this mini little mouse we got bundled with a laptop.

I need a good left handed mouse, that's preferably not TOO expensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3
    December 2009
    7,258 Posts
    Ok so my mouse just died an there is no damn way I'm using this mini little mouse we got bundled with a laptop.

I'm using a Lefty Razer Deathadder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,046 Posts
    So I have a Core 2 Quad Q9400 (2.66GHz), 4GB RAM and a GTX 280.

I'm planning on replacing the GTX 280 as soon as the GTX 680 comes out.
    Now for the question - would the CPU be a huge bottleneck, or not at all? Because I really don't have the money to get a new CPU and a motherboard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2009
    7,258 Posts
    So I have a Core 2 Quad Q9400 (2.66GHz), 4GB RAM and a GTX 280.

I'm planning on replacing the GTX 280 as soon as the GTX 680 comes out.
    Now for the question - would the CPU be a huge bottleneck, or not at all? Because I really don't have the money to get a new CPU and a motherboard
    Massive bottleneck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,277 Posts
    I wouldn't bother with the 680 (rumour has it it'll be a 780 anyway, as some nvidia hype thing because of the size of the performance increase). I'd get the 6/770 instead, and then use the money saved for a motherboard and CPU, because you will see a bottleneck there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,444 Posts

I use my G500 with my left hand. Works out fine. My brother has a left handed Razer mouse, I actually prefer the G500.

Now it's up to you to decide if $50 is too expensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,555 Posts
    Reposting from last thread, noone answered
    Would anyone know why my G110 only likes to control F2K every once in a while?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I fixed my internet problem, I pulled out my internet card thing to check the model number and after I put it back in and started my computer up my internet has been about 10x faster and I'm seeing other networks I couldn't see before. Thanks Dr. Deeps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,647 Posts
    Anyone know of some good free video editing software?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Anyone know of some good free video editing software?
    Lightworks is VERY powerful and it's free

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,855 Posts
    I want to set my TV screen to it's resolution of 1920 x 1080, yet for some reason windows isn't allowing me to go higher than 1440x900.
    What should I do?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

February 2008
    5,015 Posts
    What graphics card/chip are you using?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Lightworks is VERY powerful and it's free
    And impossible to use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,855 Posts
    What graphics card/chip are you using?
    ati 4670
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    November 2009
    488 Posts
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with the differences between these two (1 2) cards? I don't fully understand what I get for paying the extra money.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,652 Posts
    Wider memory bus, more processing cores, and a bit of extra stuff, but it's only marginally better IMO, not worth $70 extra

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    910 Posts
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with the differences between these two (1 2) cards? I don't fully understand what I get for paying the extra money.

560ti on the classified performs closley to the 570. Uses the same pcb and similar design to the evga classified 570 and 580.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2009
    393 Posts
    If my PSU says Output: 220V 1.5A on the back, does that mean it's a 330w supply?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    I'm worried about going into the General chat topic at work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,096 Posts
    I'm trying to change out an old PSU with a new one, but the cable that goes to the motherboard won't budge no matter what I try.

Any tips on getting it out?

Edited:

Nevermind, a flathead screwdriver helped me pry it out, it was only kinda stuck after being there for 6 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2007
    137 Posts
    Can you guys recommend me a case that can fit a Asus Sabertooth 990fx and a Corsair A70?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

23. Post #23
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    anyone know a good cheap mobo that has full ESXi 5 support?

24. Post #24
    July 2010
    308 Posts
    WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THIS RAM!
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-%...ered-cas-7-7-7
    Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 7 DHX Dual Channel-20-dhx-19v
    <Mind Blown.

25. Post #25
    July 2010
    566 Posts
    Can you guys recommend me a case that can fit a Asus Sabertooth 990fx and a Corsair A70?
    Pretty standard sizing. The heatsink should fit in any regular sized tower:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129042
    If you want something a little more bulky:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233

anyone know a good cheap mobo that has full ESXi 5 support?
    Spend some time on google if you don't like the price:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0E35M1-M%20PRO
    I litterally just googled your inquiry and did a quick read on the first result:
    http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2011/09/01/...d-motherboard/

WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THIS RAM!
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-%...ered-cas-7-7-7
    Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 7 DHX Dual Channel-20-dhx-19v
    <Mind Blown.
    -404'd- Apparently they didn't like it either.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2010
    1,111 Posts
    i love these threads
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    5,616 Posts
    Because I assume this is the right thread, could someone help me with making a gaming PC set up in the price range of 800-1000

As I said, main usage will be for gaming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

28. Post #28
    November 2009
    534 Posts
    I'm thinking of getting a custom built pc (as opposed to a gaming laptop), two things I wanna ask about it:

1)Should I somehow build it myself(knowing absolutely nothing about PC building, and possibly without access to the internet) or should I get it built at a PC shop?

2)What should I do about getting a desk (as my room is pretty small)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    I'm thinking of getting a custom built pc (as opposed to a gaming laptop), two things I wanna ask about it:

1)Should I somehow build it myself(knowing absolutely nothing about PC building, and possibly without access to the internet) or should I get it built at a PC shop?

2)What should I do about getting a desk (as my room is pretty small)?
    build the PC yourself,

just get a simple $30 desk, they're quite small
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member

February 2008
    5,015 Posts
    My HDD and motherboard has SMART support but unfortunately the latest motherboard BIOS update I installed was retarded enough to completely remove the option for enabling/disabling SMART. Wasn't there a way I could enable SMART via cmd.exe? Any other way I could enable it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #31
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,882 Posts
    Ok, so I reconnected my external HDD, but an error came up "Power Surge On Hub Port". This error has never come up before. So I restart my computer and before booting it gives me an "Alert! System battery voltage low!". Which I've also never seen with this computer.

Would it be safe to assume the two are "USB Power Surge" is related to the "Low Voltage"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

32. Post #32
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,013 Posts
    Ok, so I reconnected my external HDD, but an error came up "Power Surge On Hub Port". This error has never come up before. So I restart my computer and before booting it gives me an "Alert! System battery voltage low!". Which I've also never seen with this computer.

Would it be safe to assume the two are "USB Power Surge" is related to the "Low Voltage"?
    System battery = CMOS battery, replace it and it's probably not related
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,414 Posts
    I now have a dual monitor setup, so I have a question:
    Let's say I have a game running full screen on my primary monitor, and a web browser or something open on my secondary monitor. Is there a way to go to the secondary screen without making the game minimizing and thus glitching the hell up?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,882 Posts
    System battery = CMOS battery, replace it.
    I kinda figured that one.

It's probably not related
    Ah man.

Any ideas whats causing the sudden problem then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    I want to set my TV screen to it's resolution of 1920 x 1080, yet for some reason windows isn't allowing me to go higher than 1440x900.
    What should I do?
    Try searching for drivers. My monitor wouldn't go to native until I did. It also wouldn't go to native if I had a VGA, but that's a different story.

36. Post #36
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    I would like to build a rather inexpensive computer to use in my car (most likely one that will be able to fit under my back seat or in the glovebox / console that could be hooked up to a very small monitor and mounted in my front passenger seat.

Basically I'd need it to be:

-Compact (duh)
    -Capable of running Dragon NaturallySpeaking software
    -Capable of playing high res movies
    -Maybe some basic games / ROMs
    -Really damn cheap

Any ideas for processors and the like? I think that's where I'm most lost.

Edited:

Although, I might be pushing my luck asking for a GPU for such a small computer as it'd probably have to be onboard.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,652 Posts
    you could try one of the really small ITX boards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    Here's my take:

Edited:

I figure I can hook a PS3 controller up to it with a Bluetooth dongle and play Roms, maybe a few older shooters (most likely "low" graphics settings), and the like. However, I'm at a loss for what to do as far as a mouse goes. Touchscreens are quite pricey. I only need like a 9" one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,855 Posts
    Try searching for drivers. My monitor wouldn't go to native until I did. It also wouldn't go to native if I had a VGA, but that's a different story.
    Going to try to find some, but it doesn't matter that i'm also using VGA for it right?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Here's my take:

Edited:

I figure I can hook a PS3 controller up to it with a Bluetooth dongle and play Roms, maybe a few older shooters (most likely "low" graphics settings), and the like. However, I'm at a loss for what to do as far as a mouse goes. Touchscreens are quite pricey. I only need like a 9" one.
    Are you using the 4GB SDHC card for the storage? I don't think the motherboard has a port for it. EDIT: Nope, it doesn't, but you can use a flash drive for everything.

Edited:

Going to try to find some, but it doesn't matter that i'm also using VGA for it right?
    It shouldn't, I used a 1920x1080 with VGA for over a year without issue.