1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,728 Posts
    Beijing (CNN) -- Earlier this week, the Jian River that runs through the city of Luoyang, Henan province in northern China, turned bloody red.

Local media started receiving panicky phone calls from citizens on Tuesday morning saying that the water of the Jian River near their neighborhood has become blood-like overnight.

The eerie sheen on the river lasted for nearly two days before local government officials managed to track down the source of pollutant: an illegal workshop dumping red dye into the city's storm water pipe network connecting the river.

Luoyang Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau cut off the workshop's power supply immediately and conducted a thorough examination, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

Workers said on December 12 they had been rinsing a batch of red plastic bags for recycle but did not expect the consequences, Xinhua said.

The bags then were further traced back to nearby Mengjin County to a small chemical plant.The plant was accused of illegally producing red dye for firework wrappers preparing for the upcoming Chinese New Year.

Lab results from the Environmental Protection Bureau showed that despite the gruesome color, the "bloody water" contained no heavy metal or organic, poisonous elements.

The river has turned back to normal color on Thursday night, according to the Xinhua report.

But Luoyang residents said the Jian River changes color often because of the various pollutants and domestic garbage being dumped in or along the river. Some said they say it turn dark green in the past.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/16/world/...tml?hpt=hp_bn4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny x 123Artistic x 11Friendly x 3Winner x 2Late x 2Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Garry doesn't deserve a penny of my money
    October 2008
    1,169 Posts
    China has an environmental bureau?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny x 186Agree x 8Zing x 3Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,428 Posts
    awesome

Edited:

now i know where i'm gonna make that heavy metal videoclip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 69Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    ~gay boi~
    July 2010
    14,531 Posts
    Some said they say it turn dark green in the past.
    What's so unusual about that? The River Liffey in Dublin is always green.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 23Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,428 Posts
    What's so unusual about that? The River Liffey in Dublin is always green.
    they don't have to deal with leprechauns everyday though unlike the people in dublin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 80 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Rivers in China tend to turn random colors, with all the crap they dump into them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 69Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,145 Posts
    I wonder how much red dye they had to dump in order to make the whole thing go that color.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 39 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,030 Posts
    Reminds me of the news story where some river in a forest turned green.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

9. Post #9
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,712 Posts
    Are there any living creatures in that river?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    I wonder how much red dye they had to dump in order to make the whole thing go that color.
    Some organic dyes can make water opaque with about 2 milligrams per litre, so it doesnt have to be an amazing lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Spain Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2009
    25,728 Posts
    "Let my people go!" - Dalai Lama

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 50Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,025 Posts
    Well, it's definitely blood red. Wonder who's behind it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 33 (list)

13. Post #13
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,712 Posts
    Also people complaining abour ecology in China: It's a direct result from the low prices we pay for our stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

14. Post #14
    February 2009
    1,909 Posts
    thats metal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 34Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,170 Posts
    I wish I had the chemical knowledge to pull pranks like that :I
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,141 Posts
    A little known fact is that all the daughters who the Chinese people abandoned came together and created a village upstream, they all sync'd up their periods and took a bath in the river.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 35Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2008
    249 Posts
    Communist water
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 46Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,488 Posts
    Am I the only one that thought of kool-aid when I saw the river?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

19. Post #19
    December 2009
    3,749 Posts
    Communist water
    So because my computer fan color is red it is a communist fan or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb x 35Agree x 14Funny x 2Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,287 Posts
    I remember seeing this before, a couple years back.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,962 Posts
    So because my computer fan color is red it is a communist fan or what?
    generic the joke and your head here

Edited:

Probably not anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

22. Post #22
    Hi
    February 2010
    12,241 Posts
    I thought the Red Sea were located in the Gulf of Arabia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,181 Posts
    And people ask why we still need the EPA...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,401 Posts
    I wish I had the chemical knowledge to pull pranks like that :I
    How much chemical knowledge do you need to start
    dumping red dye into the city's storm water pipe network connecting the river.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 12Funny Funny x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,918 Posts
    despite the gruesome color, the "bloody water" contained no heavy metal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 45Funny Funny x 12 (list)

26. Post #26

July 2011
    2,327 Posts
    I thought the Red Sea were located in the Gulf of Arabia.
    Made in China™
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    11,507 Posts
    Chicago, Illinois does this ever year for St. Patrick's day (except it's green)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic x 33Funny x 3Agree x 2Informative x 1Winner x 1Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,918 Posts

(User was banned for this post ("Image macro / Shit post" - Swebonny))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 64Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,827 Posts
    conducted a thorough examination

Only one in five died!
    This is safe according to background level standards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 31 (list)

30. Post #30
    February 2009
    25,728 Posts
    Looks completely sanitary and drinkable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

31. Post #31
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Zing Zing x 53Funny Funny x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    February 2009
    25,728 Posts
    You mean Gotham
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,940 Posts
    A real man loves his river every day of the month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

34. Post #34
    April 2011
    2,876 Posts
    A plague? Good thing I go back to America today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    What was that shout-like say in which you went like "THE RIVERS SHALL RUN RED FROM THE BLOOD OF OUR ENEMIES!" ?

Fits this perfectly.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    18,012 Posts
    That's a trv river, shame it isn't in a grim and frostbitten forest of sorrow and despair.

37. Post #37
    December 2009
    7,516 Posts
    That's a trv river, shame it isn't in a grim and frostbitten forest of sorrow and despair.
    Well, it's in China, so you have the sorrow and despair, I bet we could make a dry, temperate city work with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    September 2009
    2,020 Posts
    Blood for the Blood God!

39. Post #39
    October 2009
    2,187 Posts
    There were.

Then it turned red.

40. Post #40
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,481 Posts
    The eerie sheen on the river lasted for nearly two days before local government officials managed to track down the source of pollutant: an illegal workshop dumping red dye into the city's storm water pipe network connecting the river.
    How much dye did they dump to turn the whole river red?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)