1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,534 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16224394

BBC News posted:
    David Cameron has said the UK is a Christian country "and we should not be afraid to say so".

In a speech in Oxford on the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, the prime minister called for a revival of traditional Christian values to counter Britain's "moral collapse".

He said "live and let live" had too often become "do what you please".

The PM said it was wrong to suggest that standing up for Christianity was "somehow doing down other faiths".

Describing himself as a "committed" but only "vaguely practising" Christian, the PM admitted he was "full of doubts" about big theological issues.

'Don't do God'

But he staunchly defended the role of religion in politics and said the Bible in particular was crucial to British values.

"We are a Christian country and we should not be afraid to say so," he told the audience at Christ Church.

"Let me be clear: I am not in any way saying that to have another faith - or no faith - is somehow wrong.

"I know and fully respect that many people in this country do not have a religion.

"And I am also incredibly proud that Britain is home to many different faith communities, who do so much to make our country stronger.

"But what I am saying is that the Bible has helped to give Britain a set of values and morals which make Britain what it is today."

Mr Cameron said people often argued that "politicians shouldn't 'do God'" - a reference to a comment famously made by former No 10 spin doctor Alistair Campbell when Tony Blair was asked about his religion.

"If by that they mean we shouldn't try to claim a direct line to God for one particular political party, they could not be more right," the PM said.

"But we shouldn't let our caution about that stand in the way of recognising both what our faith communities bring to our country, and also just how incredibly important faith is to so many people in Britain."

Mr Cameron also said it was "easier for people to believe and practise other faiths when Britain has confidence in its Christian identity".

"Many people tell me it is much easier to be Jewish or Muslim here in Britain than it is in a secular country like France," he said.

"Why? Because the tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too.

"And because many of the values of a Christian country are shared by people of all faiths and indeed by people of no faith at all."
    I'll be very interested to see what the census data has to say about this when it's released. The surveys don't exactly support his view:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 52Funny x 30Winner x 8Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,105 Posts
    oh hell no, not in my fucking country
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 73Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2010
    3,132 Posts
    God damn it Cameron get out of the 19th century and the country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 63Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2010
    6,196 Posts
    Fuck off Cameron.
    Just go back to sucking off Thatcher, and get away from UK politics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 27Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,564 Posts
    Sounds like Cameron would be better off in the US.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 73Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,105 Posts
    and I really thought the UK conservative party had moved away from this shit too, but I guess not

not that I didn't already hate the conservative party but I thought they had at least migrated from being evil idiots to just evil
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,934 Posts
    Someone go burn down Parliament or something, I'm sure the police'll herald you as a national hero.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 22Winner x 2Useful x 1Agree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,434 Posts
    Bollocks to `Christian values`! The 10 Commandments are a load of shit! You know why? The fact that you had to have them written down! As if you couldn't figure out internally not to kill people, seriously?

Also, others having separate opinions to Christians doesn't not mean that Christians are being oppressed - Grow up you fucking child.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 13Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    God damn it Cameron get out of the 19th century and the country.
    At least the Christians of the 19th century weren't complete arseholes. They did things like set up charities and try to improve peoples lives in the industrialising world. Men like Cameron, well, he's just awful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,070 Posts
    the prime minister called for a revival of traditional Christian values to counter Britain's "moral collapse".
    Seriously all he does is talk about a broken society and how everything is all wrong, yet he does nothing about it?!

Now suddenly Christian values can sort everything, good luck getting re-elected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2010
    498 Posts
    Great, so UK and Canada have raving, anti-secular crusaders as leaders.

Now we need a good Republican and we've got the real Axis of Evil right up in this bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2010
    2,214 Posts
    For fuck's sake Cameron, if the country is so bad do something about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    June 2009
    1,845 Posts
    What is with all the sheer blinding stupidity in politics recently?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,050 Posts
    How in any way are we a Christian country anymore? We're quickly become so diverse right now there is no clear religion we can point to. Religions shouldn't be linked to National Identity as far as I'm concerned anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2010
    498 Posts
    And he says this after Hitchens dies.

Fuck you, Cameron, you fucking douchebag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    I spent 10$ and all i got was this lousy title.
    June 2008
    5,227 Posts
    Oh man, he clearly doesn't keep up with the times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    June 2009
    1,845 Posts
    How in any way are we a Christian country anymore? We're quickly become so diverse right now there is no clear religion we can point to. Religions shouldn't be linked to National Identity as far as I'm concerned anyway.
    Just another example of how out of touch the current government is.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,050 Posts
    Just another example of how out of touch the current government is.
    I hope just about everyone who voted for him hates themselves right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,934 Posts
    I hope just about everyone who voted for him hates themselves right now.
    Don't forget those who voted for Lib Dem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,107 Posts
    Sounds like Cameron would be better off in the US.
    Oi, don't send him here, we don't need more bigots!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 7 (list)

21. Post #21
    June 2010
    6,196 Posts
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Nick Clegg for siding with the Tories, and fucking over students.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,330 Posts
    Don't worry, by 2450 the government will be up to par with everything up to 2011.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,105 Posts
    how the hell were they supposed to know they were getting some kind of unholy fusion of liberal democrats and conservatives

it's not like they have any real power anyway, sigh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,050 Posts
    Personally I think they just let themselves become bitches for the Tories. If it weren't for them being in power the Lib Dems probably would've actually tried to stick to the plan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

25. Post #25
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,227 Posts
    oh hey there cameron, still being dumb i see

26. Post #26

August 2011
    707 Posts
    oh c'mon! This is one thing that I love about the UK. No (or little) crazy religious nutjobs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,050 Posts
    oh c'mon! This is one thing that I love about the UK. No (or little) crazy religious nutjobs.
    He's not being a nutjob he's just saying it to try and get a certain demographic under his belt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,324 Posts
    He's not being a nutjob he's just saying it to try and get a certain demographic under his belt.
    At the expense of the others. He's not a nutjob, he's an idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    15,299 Posts
    Funny how everyone hated Labour during the voting, but as soon as Cameron became PM they didn't seem so bad after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    10,050 Posts
    At the expense of the others. He's not a nutjob, he's an idiot.
    He doesn't truly believe what he's saying is what I mean but yeah, he's fucking retarded.

31. Post #31

August 2011
    707 Posts
    Sorry for the confusion. I don't claim that he is a nutjob. What I see is that promoting a "Christian Britain" will make Britain fester with nutjobs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Memento audere semper- audaces fortuna iuvat.
    February 2010
    7,862 Posts
    UK is well known for being the least religious country in the whole world.
    ffs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,963 Posts
    Wow, and here I thought that Tory scumbag couldn't get any worse. Well done David, well done indeed. *malicious clapping*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #34
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,863 Posts
    Nonononono, we have a historical leaning towards christianity, but we're pretty non-religious. At least we should be. We don't want to go down the road of backwater America.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #35
    Haunted by a dark and stupid past
    December 2009
    3,244 Posts
    Why would he think that France is "worse off for Jews and Muslims" because it's secular, when there are parts of the US which are devoutly Christian and are twenty times worse off for Jews and Muslims? He's been to America hasn't he?

36. Post #36
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,863 Posts
    Seriously all he does is talk about a broken society and how everything is all wrong, yet he does nothing about it?!

Now suddenly Christian values can sort everything, good luck getting re-elected.

Don't be ridiculous, Cameron's done plenty to fix broken society.

Like his Big Society scheme! That's a massively impactful scheme that's done lots to fix the country with its "do it yourselves" and "stop being dicks, guys, really I mean it" attitude towards the country's people. Oh wait. No. My bad. It's done fuckall.

Honestly, he's just the most elitist cunt we've had in power since the Thatcher years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

37. Post #37
    Haunted by a dark and stupid past
    December 2009
    3,244 Posts
    And the French aren't unfriendly to Jews and Muslims because they're secular. They're unfriendly because they're French.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,863 Posts
    This is the part that really rubs me up the wrong way:

Because the tolerance that Christianity demands of our society provides greater space for other religious faiths too.

Man, look at all that tolerance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    7,907 Posts
    As dumb as this is, the UK is legally a Christian country with laws based upon them beliefs (Sunday opening hours laws come to mind).

Personally I wish the UK was more secular but I cannot see it happening any time soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,863 Posts
    As dumb as this is, the UK is legally a Christian country with laws based upon them beliefs (Sunday opening hours laws come to mind).

Personally I wish the UK was more secular but I cannot see it happening any time soon.
    Our heritage and history is that of a Christian nation, but there are more non-religious people in the UK than Christians, so it's silly to say that the people of the UK are Christian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)