1. Post #1
    March 2011
    2,221 Posts

Taken off of Notch's twitter
    http://twitter.com/#!/notch
    I can only hope this isn't late
    Seriously, who f-bombs a kid?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 117Funny x 23Dumb x 7Informative x 4Winner x 4Agree x 2Disagree x 1Late x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    12,972 Posts
    Wow Yogscast i thought they were funny and stuff but this makes them look like gigantic dicks.

Also another guy talks about Yogscast at minecon here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/co...am_at_minecon/

So, with this shitstorm of Notch vs. Yogscast, I thought I would weigh in my own opinion on it, such that it is.

I'm not sure that an "f-bomb" is the sole reason for Notch wanting to not work with them anymore.

Yogscast was invited as a special guest to MineCon and was even given their own panel. What I assumed, and what I believed that Mojang assumed when they invited them to a panel, was that they would speak for an hour (hour and a half?) about their Youtube videos, podcasts and the like. They would talk about their experiences, making videos, how they got so popular, etc. Instead, what we seemed to get was an hour of them showing videos of popular builds done using Minecraft. A whole team was up on stage and it seemed only Simon/Lewis spoke.

In addition, the entire team acted like a group of self-entitled pricks the entire weekend. I worked as one of the volunteer staff that weekend and they demanded to be let in to the Scrolls/Cobalt play test area before the rest of the crowd was. We allowed them to enter for 5 minutes, as we were trying to keep to a schedule, but they created a big stink when they were asked to leave so the people who paid good money to come to MineCon could play the games too. They acted like they were the Kings of Minecraft simply because they are minor celebrities in the Youtube world.

Adding on to that, they offered to sign things for fans, in the same vein as Mojang did on Friday night. Mojang was highly classy. They talked to fans, signed whatever they wanted, and all of them, despite being exhausted, were always friendly to whatever fan wanted a word with them, even if it was just to send them away. They even signed more for the ones that were cut off in line Friday night on Saturday. Yogscast, on the other hand, passed out tickets to people who wanted an autograph during their own panel! When fans complained that they couldn't get an autograph, their response was along the lines of, "True fans would have skipped the panel to get the autograph."

Finally, on a more personal experience. My friends and I entered the main hall right after the Yogscast panel to get good seats for the closing ceremony. The Styrofoam sign that said "Yogscast" that was slapped over the "Activate Minecraft" sign on the lever on stage during their panel was being removed by the stage manager after their panel, presumably to be thrown away. My friend wanted the sign as a keepsake from MineCon, and the sign was given to her. After the closing ceremony, one of their members hunted us down to get back this sign. She used to be a huge Yogscast fan, but this experience has soured her.

In Short: The Yogscast team didn't appreciate the gesture that was given to them to be invited as a special panel to MineCon and they treated it with almost indifference. They acted like it was Mojang that should be appreciative of them gracing MineCon with their presence.

Notch may have blamed the fallout between Mojang and Yogscast on an "f-bomb" in front of kids, but I think it was more than just that. I think that Yogscast wasn't what they were hoping they would be. Mojang should probably have reviewed what Yogscast was going to be like more than they did, but MineCon had many issues like that. It wasn't perfect, and it was a bit sloppy, but I don't think Mojang should suffer all the blame for issues with Yogscast.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: For those of you who want proof, the only proof I have is my staff shirt. I can take a photo of it when I get home.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 59Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts
    Like some proof from the kid on the signing stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,700 Posts
    there's absolutely no proof they did this, wait for a bit before you start attacking either side
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 58Disagree Disagree x 9Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    November 2007
    2,539 Posts
    Kinda a bit unprofessional of Notch to be doing this sort of thing while he is the face of Mojang.

Especially the vague tweets he first did earlier in the day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 45Agree Agree x 27Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,474 Posts
    You know, even if they did say that stuff, it's entirely (and more than likely) possible that they were saying it jokingly, but it didn't translate that way.

I would've thought that after 1,166 videos that if they were dicks, we would've seen that by now.

EDIT: Also, Notch shouldn't be slagging people off on his public twitter without any form of proof.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 21Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2010
    2,202 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos

Refresh and watch the subscribers drop!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 58Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member

July 2005
    2,137 Posts
    Uhhh, and is anyone surprised? You can notice their egos growing more and more if you watched their videos lately; Their personalities also completely changed over time.

The only reason i watch them now is seeing Hannah play games, she's quite entertaining. But the yogscast as a whole was always going to be just like this... Their fanbase is even worse sadly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 34Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Keep calm and JAG
    April 2009
    2,286 Posts

Those poor guys, another week and they will be down to a million.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny x 40Dumb x 12Friendly x 1Winner x 1Zing x 1Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2011
    1,452 Posts
    You know, even if they did say that stuff, it's entirely (and more than likely) possible that they were saying it jokingly, but it didn't translate that way.

I would've thought that after 1,166 videos that if they were dicks, we would've seen that by now.

EDIT: Also, Notch shouldn't be slagging people off on his public twitter without any form of proof.
    Putting "fuck off" on a kids paper isn't cool any way you do/say it.

And people can bullshit through videos and present themselves any way they like.

They may not actually be dicks, it might have been there nerdy selves being self conscious and uncomfortable so they did all what they knew to do-be jerks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 21Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    12,404 Posts
    If they're claiming that they're the reason Minecraft is big then bye.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 127Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,231 Posts
    I hadn't even heard of Yogcast until this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 197Winner x 57Funny x 24Disagree x 6Zing x 3Late x 2Artistic x 2Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Dumb x 1Informative x 1Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    April 2008
    334 Posts
    Well we can all say that after however many yogscasts we have seen we would have seen them be dicks by now, but ive also seen enough of Notch to know that he isn't a dick either. I have no idea, but i truly honestly doubt notch would just do this if it wasn't atleast for some sort of good reason. He loves his fanbase as he posted later on in his twitter. So something must have gone down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,344 Posts

Hah, that's gold.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    12,972 Posts
    I hadn't even heard of Yogcast until this.
    all they do is make videos about stuff other people do (People send them shit, They download mods and show it off, etc.) combined with other gameplay videos of other games.

They are basically the RWJ of Minecraft. except less annoying and actually funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb x 27Agree x 9Disagree x 7Informative x 2Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    March 2010
    3,132 Posts

And people can bullshit through videos and present themselves any way they like.

They may not actually be dicks, it might have been there nerdy selves being self conscious and uncomfortable so they did all what they knew to do-be jerks.
    Key words are 'they said'. They may have not actually done anything and may have just been joking around. Also I want to to know Notch's definition of kid because if they said this to a teen I'm pretty sure they were just joking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2009
    795 Posts
    This is silly. I like Yogscast and I like Notch, and I shall continue doing so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 63Disagree x 10Friendly x 4Optimistic x 2Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,474 Posts

But there isn't even any proof of it.

I'm just saying we should wait to hear both sides of the story before we jump to any conclusions. Notch is just causing drama without ANY form of proof to back up his allegations, before even allowing the Yogscast to formulate a response.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    7,086 Posts
    I can believe it, I don't think notch would lie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 31Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    There are two sides of the story, first I heard the Yogscast side, from which is apparently supported by TotalBiscuit, and Hannah(Yogscast)

All the stuff claimed in the Yogcast's story seems mentioned everywhere else, as most are siding with Yogcast on this, though I've only just now heard Notch's side of the story, from which point I have heard any of the claims he's been making other than that Reddit post Wii60 mentioned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,931 Posts
    Key words are 'they said'. They may have not actually done anything and may have just been joking around. Also I want to to know Notch's definition of kid because if they said this to a teen I'm pretty sure they were just joking.
    "They said" implies that they didn't actually do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,294 Posts
    I never did like Yogscast because to me it seemed like they were acting as if being british and having a female friend qualified them as ~~~fucking amazing~~~

Time to rub this in my friend's face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 35Agree x 19Winner x 3Disagree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    I spent 10$ and all i got was this lousy title.
    June 2008
    5,227 Posts
    But there isn't even any proof of it.

I'm just saying we should wait to hear both sides of the story before we jump to any conclusions. Notch is just causing drama without ANY form of proof to back up his allegations, before even allowing the Yogscast to formulate a response.
    This, allegations are only from one side, without hearing both sides we truly can't "Pick" sides or take what notch is saying truthfully, i'll wait and watch what happens.

And from what i've gathered from TB and others yogscast wasn't given any sort of "Censor out any bad language" sort of check.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    Groovy Member
    January 2005
    2,872 Posts
    I only ever enjoyed their magicka videos, the rest i didnt really like vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    687 Posts

All I saw was it go up by 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 101Funny x 22Disagree x 6Winner x 3Artistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,700 Posts
    I never did like Yogscast because to me it seemed like they were acting as if being british and having a female friend qualified them as ~~~fucking amazing~~~

why would you rub internet drama in a friends face, that's dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 72Winner x 5Funny x 4Zing x 1Dumb x 1Disagree x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    December 2008
    814 Posts

Complete exaggeration. Not in one of their videos do they ever gloat over being British or act like they're hot shit because of Hannah (I think that's her name?).

But really, I cannot even begin to imagine Simon and Lewis doing all of the shit that Notch listed there-- it sound absolutely ridiculous, but then why would Notch lie?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,294 Posts
    why would you rub internet drama in a friends face, that's dumb
    because he licks the shit out of Yogscasts ass

Edited:

Complete exaggeration. Not in one of their videos do they ever gloat over being British or act like they're hot shit because of Hannah (I think that's her name?).

But really, I cannot even begin to imagine Simon and Lewis doing all of the shit that Notch listed there-- it sound absolutely ridiculous, but then why would Notch lie?
    The FAQ on their channel does seem a little 'we're the yogscast fuck you'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,474 Posts

Edited:

Well to be honest, wouldn't you get sick of the thousands of emails from 12 year old kids going "play wiv me plz yogscast i luv u simon and lewis!!!!".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 49 (list)

30. Post #30
    moo
    November 2006
    4,773 Posts
    During Cobalt's discussion one of the guys said "shit" multiple times when they died while showing the game. Why isn't notch complaining about that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

31. Post #31
    I spent 10$ and all i got was this lousy title.
    June 2008
    5,227 Posts
    And so we have TotalBiscuits view on the matter.

Looks like the witchhunt on both sides is in full swing, here's my two-pence on the latest developments, point by point.

Yogscast repeatedly insulted people, talked behind their backs, refused to cooperate, and acted like total spoiled divas nonstop.

This really doesn't sound like the Simon and Lewis I know, who are generally extremely chilled out fun people, both online and in real life.

They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid).

Alright so, when you bring celebrities to a convention, do you generally ask them to come for free? If you run a Star Trek convention, do you ask Riker and Spock to attend gratis? You expect them to go without compensation, which usually includes transatlantic flights and accomodation for several people as well as an appearance fee? No, you don't. Conventions rely on the celebrities in question to bring people to the event, drive traffic to the stream and add value. Yogscast are not just a couple of random fans, this is their full-time job. I've been doing events for a while now as a commentator, if an event didn't offer to pay for my services I'd have to think twice about going. Why? Because it's my job, doing things for free devalues you and it's very easy to be taken for a ride if you act like a push-over. If it was down the road, sure, maybe. If it's half way across the planet, well yeah, I'd kinda want to get paid for doing that gig, as would pretty much every eSports commentator. Yogscast went to do a panel and sign autographs, that in itself is a service, not to mention the fact that it takes them away from their regular jobs. The fact that no-one else got paid does not indicate a problem with Yogscast, but with a multi-millionaire staffing a convention with volunteers. Having seen some of the footage from Minecon, "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company" is exactly how I'd describe Mojang and y'know what? I wouldn't even say that's a bad thing. The whole grass-roots "hey we're just one guy and his idea who made it big" thing is endearing and honest, but as we've just seen from this rampage, professionalism is not the highest priority of Mojang at the moment and they really don't know how to run a company. That line can be taken in many different ways, particularly coming from 2 British guys that are known to take the piss (like every British guy ever born).

And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big and that we should thank them more than anyone else in the community. They're total dicks

They are certainly the biggest driving force behind Minecraft at present, you only need to look at the view count. After Seananners stopped doing Minecraft content, Yogscast became a massive source of free promotion for the game. Their videos hit the frontpage of Youtube every day, showing Minecraft off on the second largest search engine in the world time after time. I'm not sure Notch fully grasps just how much that many views on Youtube can do for your product. To give another example, the Magicka developers told me that they attribute the majority of their sales to WTF is Magicka and The Yogscast and TotalBiscuit play Magicka. This would make sense, if you look at the views on those videos, they are massive. For an indie company, Youtube and word of mouth are the two biggest forms of free marketing available and guess what generates word of mouth? Well how about literally over a million people watching and talking about Yogscast Minecraft videos? If anything, Notch does actually sound a little ungrateful here which is a rather flabbergasting attitude from an indie dev and one I've never seen before (those who don't know, my main source of income is my WTF is series which hilights indie games, it's fairly well viewed and I've had nothing but gratitude from devs whose games I've promoted). I suppose when you get as big and as wealthy as Notch, the attitude can change.

A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead.

Welcome to Yogscast humour and more to the point, British humour. The easily offended need not to apply. How old was this kid? The Yogscast demographic is quite young anyway and there is plenty of harsh language in their videos, not to mention they would hear much worse on the playground. This sounds like a joke, not a particularly good one, but a joke none-the-less and not worth getting in a tizzy over.

Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egos.

Well no, it's not Notch, you've bred one of the most retarded fanbases in gaming history. It's not your fault, but the entire Minecraft community is not in fact, about respecting and caring. There are subcommunities within it that are, /r/Minecraft is a great subreddit from what I can see, Yogscast also has a large community of it's own over on it's forums that does just as you describe. However, you also have a lot of immature, raging assholes in your "community" as well as plenty of others who are just out for themselves. Those people don't do massive charity streams like Yogscast do, they don't promote mods (and yes I am aware of the issues with the Yogbox, nobody goes through life without fuckups), they don't act as an extremely important stimulus to the community that you apparently love so much. Yogscast is without question one of the most important forces within not only Minecraft but at this point, gaming in general. They wield a massive amount of influence and they make a hell of a lot of people very happy.

Who knows what actually happened, it will be interesting to see if the community points the pitchforks back at Notch after Yogscast is able to make their statement (they are probably still on a plane right now) and tell their side of the story. Everyone loves a good witch-hunt, but a little perspective here please and do we really have to air this dirty laundry in public?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative x 49Winner x 26Dumb x 6Agree x 2Disagree x 2Zing x 1Late x 1Funny x 1Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    October 2009
    795 Posts
    A thing to note is that, seeing as they're all returning from Minecon, they're all (understandable) tired. Being tired makes you do stupid things. Tomorrow should be a better day for all concerned to sort everything out, and I fully expect an alpology - or something along those lines - from both of them.

It's true Notch blurted things out fairly un-professionally over twitter, but let's not forget that he started to explain things in a little more detail after he had Yogscast fans going on at him. In my opinion that probably caused him to get a bit mad - and having twitter there to reply to those confronting him didn't help in the slightest. It doesn't fully justify it, but it helps to explain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,931 Posts
    That doesn't make it any less dumb to rub it in his face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,188 Posts
    All they're saying in that is "don't ask to join us, we're not prepared to go through hundreds of messages asking if you can join in with us". The only way you could possibly decipher the obvious "don't contact us, we'll contact you" message as "we're the yogscast fuck you" would be if you were one of the twelve year olds who asks if you can join in with them and then gets rejected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 29Zing Zing x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,294 Posts
    All they're saying in that is "don't ask to join us, we're not prepared to go through hundreds of messages asking if you can join in with us". The only way you could possibly decipher the obvious "don't contact us, we'll contact you" message as "we're the yogscast fuck you" would be if you were one of the twelve year olds who asks if you can join in with them and then gets rejected.
    I have never liked them. I have never liked anyone who gains fame from talking over video games.

Hutch, Yogscast, SeaNanners, TheSyndicateProject.

A small sample of those I dislike.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 44Disagree x 8Dumb x 6Informative x 3Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2008
    1,188 Posts
    I have never liked them. I have never liked anyone who gains fame from talking over video games.
    They don't just talk over videos they play the games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 24Agree Agree x 6 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,635 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that almost everything Notch is complaining about is his 'enhanced' version of Simon and Lewis fucking around like they normally do

Seriously, I remember them doing a podcast or something, and what made it actually funny to listen to was the occasional insult towards a fan or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,474 Posts

Hutch, Yogscast, SeaNanners, TheSyndicateProject.

A small sample of those I dislike.
    I'm starting to doubt that you've ever watched any of their videos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 34Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,859 Posts

No man, they're not ~~~ fucking amazing~~~, they just have ~swag~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 14Winner x 2Agree x 2Dumb x 1Informative x 1 (list)