1. Post #1
    October 2009
    1,923 Posts
    livestream link: http://www.livestream.com/globalrevolution

Another stream: http://www.ustream.tv/TheOther99

one more: http://www.livestream.com/occupynyc

AP wire alert at 1:35 AM (don't know what time zone): NEW YORK (AP) — NYC Mayor's office orders protesters out of Zuccoti Park, says they can return

If anyone has a link to the Al Jazeera stream that would be great.

AP article: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

[release]NEW YORK (AP) -- Police cleared New York's Zuccotti Park early Tuesday so that sanitation crews could clean the site Occupy Wall Street protesters have inhabited for two months, while in Berkeley, Calif., activists planned another attempt at setting up a new camp.

At about 1 a.m. Tuesday, New York City police handed out notices from the owner of Zuccotti Park, Brookfield Office Properties, and the city saying that the park had to be cleared because it had become unsanitary and hazardous. Protesters were told they could return in several hours, but without sleeping bags, tarps or tents.

Minutes later, the mayor's office tweeted that the protesters should "temporarily leave."

Police in riot gear filled the streets, car lights flashing and sirens blaring. Protesters, some of whom shouted angrily at police, began marching to two locations in Lower Manhattan where they planned to hold rallies.

Rabbi Chaim Gruber, an Occupy Wall Street member, said police officers were clearing the streets near Zuccotti Park.

"The police are forming a human shield, and are pushing everyone away," he said.

Notices given to the protesters said the park "poses an increasing health and fire safety hazard to those camped in the park, the city's first responders and the surrounding community."

It said that tents, sleeping bags and other items had to be removed because "the storage of these materials at this location is not allowed." Anything left behind would be taken away, the notices said, giving an address at a sanitation department building where items could be picked up.

The New York Times reported that the clearing out of Zuccotti Park came as protesters announced on their website that they planned to "shut down Wall Street" with a demonstration on Thursday to commemorate the completion of two months of the beginning of the encampment, which has spurred similar demonstrations across the country.

On Monday, a small group of demonstrators, including local residents and merchants, protested at City Hall. In recent weeks, they have urged the mayor to clear out the park because of its negative impact on the neighborhood and small businesses.

Occupy encampments have come under fire around the country as local officials and residents have complained about possible health hazards and ongoing inhabitation of parks and other public spaces.

Anti-Wall Street activists intend to converge at the University of California, Berkeley on Tuesday for a day of protests and another attempt to set up an Occupy Cal camp, less than a week after police arrested dozens of protesters who tried to pitch tents on campus.

The Berkeley protesters will be joined by Occupy Oakland activists who said they would march to the UC campus in the afternoon. Police cleared the tent city in front of Oakland City Hall before dawn Monday and arrested more than 50 people amid complaints about safety, sanitation and drug use.[/release]

Al JAzeera article:

[release]New York Police are evicting anti-Wall Street demonstrators from the New York square where the nationwide 'Occupy' movement first began.

"Liberty Square [Zuccotti Park], home of Occupy Wall Street for the past two months and birthplace of the 99% movement that has spread across the country and around the world, is presently being evicted by a large police force," the demonstrators said in a statement released on Tuesday.

Al Jazeera's Cath Turner, reporting from New York City, said police used "heavy handed" tactics to evict demonstrators.

"It seems like the New York Police Department came out about a half an hour ago, about 1:15 in the morning here in New York City, and have surrounded the park. Dozens, perhaps hundreds, of police started moving people from their tents.

"At the moment there are maybe a couple hundred people who are still sleeping down at Zuccotti Park for the Occupy Wall Street movement. They started pushing them out their tents and started clearing them out and pushing them away from the park."

According to police officials, most of the protesters left peacefully. However, 15 people were arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Temporary eviction

The office of Michael Bloomberg, New York's mayor, said that protesters should dismantle their tents and "temporarily leave" the park.

"Occupants of Zuccotti should temporarily leave and remove tents and tarps. Protestors can return after the park is cleared," the office said on the micro-blogging website Twitter.

Police spokesman Paul Browne said the city and the owners of the park, Brookfield Office Properties, had issued fliers to the protesters saying that the park would be cleared for cleaning.

In depth coverage of the global movement
    The flier said the city and Brookfield had decided "that the continued occupation of Zuccotti Park posed an increasing health and safety hazard to those camped in the park, the city's first responders and the surrounding community".

Browne added that protesters may return after the park is cleared, but without their tents and belongings.

However, our correspondent at the scene said that it had not appeared police intended on cleaning up anything.

"They haven't even pretended to clean the park. This is a genuine attempt to dismantle any kind of occupation, any kind of settlement here. So I think the cleaning has gone out the window and really it's just a complete sweep through. There will hardly be anything left."

Protesters set up camp in Zuccotti park on September 17 to protest a financial system they argue mostly benefits corporations and the wealthy. The movement has sparked similar protests against economic inequality both nationally and internationally.

Police on Monday moved into an encampment by anti-Wall Street protesters in Oakland, California, clearing out occupants and and taking down tents, while in Portland, Oregon, police confronted an estimated 1,000 protesters on Sunday.[/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 21Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dolphin Hugger
    April 2010
    1,597 Posts
    Holy Shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    December 2008
    1,290 Posts
    Bloomberg, I thought you were supposed to be in support of their right to protest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2011
    271 Posts

(User was banned for this post ("Image Macro" - Starpluck))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 46Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,115 Posts
    Bloomberg, I thought you were supposed to be in support of their right to protest.
    Zuccati park is privately owned. If the owners want them out they can't really stop them. We'll need to see who initiated this order.

Edited:

LRAD's. They don't stand a chance....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    enjoy your constitutional rig-
    welcome to the post 9/11 world
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 36Dumb Dumb x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2011
    256 Posts
    I'm just watching the view counter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,998 Posts
    I don't think they're going to win (The police)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,963 Posts
    Someone has to start a small ring of extremists. Like in Egypt, start some revolutions like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb x 26Agree x 4Zing x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,715 Posts
    christ look at that view count GO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,115 Posts
    enjoy your constitutional rig-
    welcome to the post 9/11 world
    I'm assuming what happened is the owners/police kept getting numerous complaints for whatever reason and so the owners finally said to go in. I agree with the general cause of the protest, but you have to remember they are on private property and are still susceptible to disturbing the peace. Just because they are protesting does not waive the owners, and the people around them the right to complain and demand something be done. (I could be entirely wrong, though)

I think they should all go to Washington and stand on the National Mall where they are a lot less susceptible to said laws. They'd be able to group en mass, and provide for their protests with supplies to last the winter. All in all I think it would be better than these current protests.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    641 Posts
    There are now 2 cameras.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    April 2011
    2,875 Posts
    Sheep
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    2,731 Posts
    both are down

Edited:

nvm

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,889 Posts
    Haha some woman trying to teach empathy to a cop while he's taking her away.
    "How would you feel if I pushed you?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,240 Posts
    They're just like, actually throwing around and destroying all of their shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    January 2009
    3,911 Posts
    Aw shit son

18. Post #18
    Dolphin Hugger
    April 2010
    1,597 Posts
    Those poor tents
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    I'm assuming what happened is the owners/police kept getting numerous complaints for whatever reason and so the owners finally said to go in. I agree with the general cause of the protest, but you have to remember they are on private property and are still susceptible to disturbing the peace. Just because they are protesting does not waive the owners, and the people around them the right to complain and demand something be done. (I could be entirely wrong, though)

I think they should all go to Washington and stand on the National Mall where they are a lot less susceptible to said laws. They'd be able to group en mass, and provide for their protests with supplies to last the winter. All in all I think it would be better than these current protests.
    Except protests are supposed to be disruptive to the normal state of affairs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,240 Posts
    It'd be interesting for another shot heard around the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,115 Posts
    Except protests are supposed to be disruptive to the normal state of affairs
    However, Zuccotti park is privately owned. You can't stay there if the owners tell you to leave no matter what you're protesting. So "this is against my rights!" holds no water because the owners right to kick you off their property comes before your right to stand on their land and protest. That's why I say they should go to the National Mall with whatever paper work you need to rally (if there is any), where they cannot be kicked off, and perhaps be taken a lot more seriously if they can keep a big rally going through till next summer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2011
    271 Posts
    Predictable tear gas inbound...

23. Post #23
    October 2009
    1,923 Posts
    The worst part is, even if they're was a new order to evacuate, there was NO order to leave given this time. they were just forced out. It's horse shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,397 Posts
    I thought they had a big clean up effort after the last time the owners wanted them out? I've been in and out when it comes to following this, but didn't that satisfy the owners? If not, I don't know what else the protesters can do, other than move to another location.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    However, Zuccotti park is privately owned. You can't stay there if the owners tell you to leave no matter what you're protesting. So "this is against my rights!" holds no water because the owners right to kick you off their property comes before your right to stand on their land and protest. That's why I say they should go to the National Mall with whatever paper work you need to rally (if there is any), where they cannot be kicked off.
    Jesus christ
    protests tend to be effective when they are illegal
    it's a symbol of "hey, this is so fucked I'll break your laws"

legal formalists everywhere
    just because it infringes on their rights, doesn't mean it is immoral and shouldn't be done

I'm pretty sure that their rights to not be fucked over by wall street ranks a little fucking higher than private property rights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 34Disagree Disagree x 8Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,240 Posts
    This is giving me chills watching this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    I am appalled. That's all there is to say.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,115 Posts
    Jesus christ
    protests tend to be effective when they are illegal
    it's a symbol of "hey, this is so fucked I'll break your laws"

legal formalists everywhere
    just because it infringes on their rights, doesn't mean it is immoral and shouldn't be done

I'm pretty sure that their rights to not be fucked over by wall street ranks a little fucking higher than private property rights
    All I'm saying is this was bound to happen eventually. You can't disagree that holding a mass rally at the national mall, while still having these little local protests wouldn't be more effective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,240 Posts
    Oh shit its going DOWN.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    November 2011
    271 Posts
    Crowd go boom, yay teargas
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

31. Post #31
    January 2009
    3,911 Posts
    Sweet christ. This is sounding like the livestream I watched of the attack on the gaza strip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2007
    222 Posts
    What the hell is happening?

33. Post #33
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    All I'm saying is this was bound to happen eventually. You can't disagree that holding a mass rally at the national mall, while still having these little local protests wouldn't be more effective.
    Bribery and corruption through corporate money is at the heart of a lot of our political problems, and there is already a protest at DC. Occasional marches occurring sporadically are not going to affect anything, and the "privately owned public space" argument flies in the face of our constitutional right to protest in the public forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,260 Posts
    Whoever this hippy bitch is needs to shut the fuck up and keep the camera steady.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    I love liberals, they make me so fucking hard I just want to cum all over the place while fucking a pony.
    January 2008
    4,482 Posts
    I can't say I'm surprised. But
    I can say I don't believe OCW is "peaceful"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb x 58Agree x 3Informative x 1Disagree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,539 Posts
    I'm going to enjoy being able to vote this upcoming election. Fucking people. I hope corporate America realizes that we've had enough. We supported the uprisings in the middle east, why can't those same people support one on their own soil? We condemn other nations for using these kinds of tactics on their citizens, yet condone the use of them on American citizens? The police are not accountable for their actions. I can't wait to look back ten years from now and see the difference of this country. This is history in the making. Remember that. No matter who's side you agree with, these protests will shape our country for years to come.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 7Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    It would result in less heads getting punched in, but there are certainly a few protesters who are looking forward to an oppressive response.

You're right though, considering the only reason they're at this particular location is because it was more grey than a publicly owned public park, instead of being disruptive

Imagine if they'd continuously tried to occupy the actual offices of wallstreet until the prison system was full

you'd virtually force a response of some kind by the government in order to regulate the kind of shocks the protesters would be generating

38. Post #38
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    Cease posting. The police could be out there tear gassing these people by the dozen and you'd say the same thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    November 2010
    41 Posts
    Yeah I know, those law enforcers are using quite a bit of unnecessary force there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,828 Posts
    I don't believe the American Revolution was fucking "peaceful"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)