1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,453 Posts
    [release]

[h2]Muammar Gaddafi killed in Libya[/h2]

Libya's ex-leader Col Muammar Gaddafi has been killed after an assault on his birthplace of Sirte, officials say.

The circumstances of his death are not yet clear. Video has emerged purporting to show Col Gaddafi being captured alive and bundled on to a truck.

Fighters loyal to the National Transitional Council (NTC) said they found him hiding in a hole, and shot him when he tried to escape.

Col Gaddafi was toppled in August after 42 years in power.

US President Barack Obama said this was a "momentous day" for Libya, now that tyranny had fallen. He said Libya had a "long and winding road towards full democracy", but the US and other countries would stand behind it.

The colonel was fighting in Sirte alongside his two sons, Mutassim and Saif al-Islam, according to reports.

Officials say Mutassim was killed in battle on Thursday.

The NTC's justice minister Mohammad al-Alagi told the AP news agency Saif al-Islam had been captured and taken to hospital with a leg wound.

Golden gun

After a day of conflicting reports and rumours, the NTC's acting prime minister Mahmoud Jibril told a news conference: "We have been waiting for this moment for a long time. Muammar Gaddafi has been killed."

World leaders welcomed the news, urging the NTC to carry through its promise to reform the country.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron, who had taken a leading role in Nato's intervention, said it was "a day to remember all of Col Gaddafi's victims".

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called it a "historic" moment, but warned: "The road ahead for Libya and its people will be difficult and full of challenges."

Proof of Col Gaddafi's fate came in grainy pieces of video, first circulated among NTC fighters and then broadcast by international news channels.

The first videos showed a bloodied corpse, with some channels picking up footage they said showed the colonel's body being dragged through the streets.

An NTC fighter told the BBC he found Col Gaddafi hiding in a hole in Sirte, and the former leader begged him not to shoot.

The fighter showed reporters a golden pistol he said he had taken from Col Gaddafi.

Arabic TV channels showed images of troops surrounding two large drainage pipes where the reporters said Col Gaddafi was found.

Later, another video emerged of the colonel being bundled on to the back of a pick-up truck after being captured alive.

NTC fighters said he was shot when he tried to escape.

None of the video footage has been independently verified.

'United Libya'

Libyans gathered in towns and cities across the country to celebrate the reports of the colonel's death.

Groups of young men fired guns in the air, and drivers honked horns in celebration.

His death came after weeks of fierce fighting for Sirte, one of the last remaining pockets of resistance.

Nato, which has been running a bombing campaign in Libya for months, said it had carried out an air strike earlier on Thursday that hit two pro-Gaddafi vehicles near Sirte.

It was unclear whether the strikes were connected with Col Gaddafi's death.

Mr Jibril promised that National Transitional Council (NTC) chief Mustafa Abdul Jalil would give more details of how Col Gaddafi was killed either late on Thursday or during Friday.

He said Mr Abdul Jalil would also officially announce the "liberation of the country", allowing the NTC to begin pushing through democratic reforms that will lead to elections.

"I think it's for the Libyans to realise that it's time to start a new Libya, a united Libya, one people, one future," Mr Jibril said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15385955[/release]

Also, an alleged photo of the captured Gaddafi.

And now for some filler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 227Funny x 8Friendly x 6Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    They better not go all Osama on this, and not release pictures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Funny Funny x 52Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    Fuck yeah. All that must be said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    March 2010
    1,314 Posts
    Unconfirmed, but let's just hope
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,453 Posts
    Unconfirmed, but let's just hope
    It's from the new government in Libya. Why would they lie?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 40Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,787 Posts
    They better not go all Osama on this, and not release pictures.
    Aye, the last thing we want is to lose a twisted being to the abyss. Killing him would technically be letting him off scot-free; he needs to be brought in and made to answer for what he's done.

But time will tell whether that sonofabitch is in chains, face down in the ditch covered in petrol, or hightailing it to Argentina as we speak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,107 Posts
    One less nutter to worry about.

He deserves everything coming to him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,117 Posts
    Sadly, I'm worried the different factions within the rebel forces are going to turn on eachother now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 23Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Insensitive Jackass
    June 2011
    1,945 Posts
    Now don't fucking kill him like Saddam.

I don't want to see some shitty trial by a Libyan Court. Bring him even higher and make sure he is alive throughout the hole ordeal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 26Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,787 Posts
    If Gaddafi dies he doesn't receive his proper comeuppance! That fucked-up person deserves far more than a slap on the wrist like death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Insensitive Jackass
    June 2011
    1,945 Posts
    But if he dies he doesn't receive his proper comeuppance! That fucked-up person deserves far more than a slap on the wrist like that.
    If he dies or get executed to quickly a lot of questions will go unanswered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,597 Posts
    Here comes another Saddam hanging video!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,787 Posts
    Indeed Eskimo, too true. He needs to answer for his crimes...

What questions are we talking about here? I'm guessing one of them would be "Why did he do it?".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    What questions are we talking about here? I'm guessing one of them would be "Why did he do it?".
    Why do dictators want to exercise absolute power?

Um
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,684 Posts
    I have been waiting for 247 days to hear this news. When the protests started on February 15th, I immediately tuned in to AlJazeera and CNN for the latest news, and I have tuned in every day since. Gadhafi used warplanes, ships, and a multitude of soldiers against his own people. Now, they have turned against him, and won. This civil war is over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Artistic x 25Friendly x 5Informative x 3Winner x 2Dumb x 1Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,452 Posts
    They might not be lying, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Gaddafi had a body double.

17. Post #17
    Hail to the Chief, Motherfucker

(yes i know he wasn't captured by US forces i just thought it sounded awesome)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 36 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts
    Everything coming from that country has to be verified multiple times before people start running with it. So possibly they are but unintentionally.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    Now don't fucking kill him like Saddam.

I don't want to see some shitty trial by a Libyan Court. Bring him even higher and make sure he is alive throughout the hole ordeal.
    If he gets a proper trial it will lend a shitload of credibility to Libya's new government
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

20. Post #20
    ~Pruney is my soulmate~
    July 2007
    10,916 Posts
    I hope this is true and if it is, it should be up to the Libyan people and authorities to decide his fate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    11,747 Posts
    If he gets a proper trial it will lend a shitload of credibility to Libya's new government
    Trial for him, and his regime...

Nuremberg 2.0 here we come.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts
    Didn't they rush to execute Saddam before he turned 70 and he wasn't allowed to be executed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    March 2009
    2,449 Posts
    AFAIK the new government's not that amazing either. They've been jailing a lot of "suspected mercenaries", aka black people, and have had pretty much nil accountability for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Taiwan Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    February 2011
    72 Posts
    Latest reports say he's dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    ~Pruney is my soulmate~
    July 2007
    10,916 Posts
    The BBC News channel have just announced that Gadaffi has died from wounds suffered in the fight for his capture.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,653 Posts
    I have been waiting for 247 days to hear this news. When the protests started on February 15th, I immediately tuned in to AlJazeera and CNN for the latest news, and I have tuned in every day since. Gadhafi used warplanes, ships, and a multitude of soldiers against his own people. Now, they have turned against him, and won. This civil war is over.
    The civil war is far from over, trust me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Insensitive Jackass
    June 2011
    1,945 Posts
    He died?

Shit... Oh well!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,787 Posts
    Why do dictators want to exercise absolute power?

Um
    Maybe they're control freaks who never took no for an answer?

Also, GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. I guess we won't get any answers now; Gaddafi's gotten off scott free because some guys wanted blood.

*sigh* It's a sad day, but it ain't over yet. I dunno how the loyalists will react, but I don't think they'll go down without a fight.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,684 Posts
    Watching Al Jazeera English, and, although everything is unconfirmed, they report that Gaddafi is in custody, Abr-Bakr Yunis Jabr (head of army) was killed, and his cousin was killed.

There are two reports: One says he was wounded in both legs, and the other says he was killed in a firefight.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts
    I would like like actual pictures (headshot only if he is dead [unless he was shot in the head]) to prove that its him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,017 Posts
    A soldier who says he captured Muammar Gaddafi tod the BBC the colonel had shouted: "Don't shoot!"
    I am not going to leave this land. I will die as a martyr at the end. I shall remain, defiant. Muammar is Leader of the Revolution until the end of time.
    - Televised address to the nation, quoted in guardian.co.uk (22 February 2011) "Gaddafi urges violent showdown and tells Libya 'I'll die a martyr'" by Ian Black
    Didn't go that well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 36 (list)

32. Post #32
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,787 Posts
    Wait, is it still unconfirmed? Damnit, this uncertainty is killing me.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts
    Wait, is it still unconfirmed?
    Everything is until there are pictures or video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    Gaddafi (if alive) is so damn fucked.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts
    Well something did indeed happen, Libya is all car horns and gunfire

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,898 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was killed. It only takes one enough pissed off guy with a gun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,068 Posts

38. Post #38
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    Aljazeera just changed their headlines to 'dead'.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,979 Posts
    Didn't go that well.
    I think His gigantic ego vanished when there were actually armed rebels in front of him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    1,453 Posts
    Although there has been no confirmation of this, both Reuters and Libyan State TV are saying that Gaddafi has been killed!