1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    997 Posts
    I know this might sounds weird, but let's say you're scared of death, then it implies that as long as you're alive you've got hope because you're not yet dead. But then, let's say you're not scared of dying, this implies that you'll probably want to live your life at it's full potential because you don't care about dying.

Here's the catch, someone who suddenly becomes paralyzed or something that impares his ability to live a full life (by himself) and has to stay in a "vegetative" state for the rest of his life, the man whois scared of dying will still have hope because he's not death, while the man whois NOT scared of dying will freak out because he knows he'll be like that forever and he'll only want to die.

I don't know which one's worst, being scared of death or not.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,660 Posts
    everybody is going to die alone, hth

3. Post #3
    What fun is there in making sense?
    Dennab
    October 2007
    9,274 Posts
    I see no point in fear of death, honestly.

It wont change the fact that you are going to die. It's going to happen, regardless of what steps you take to avoid it.

Just like if I were in a crashing plane, I'd probably yell at everybody to shut the hell up. Screaming aint gonna do shit to stop what is happening. At least let me have some peace to reflect before I die.

Fear of imminent death can make sense at times. It's what will make you decide to do or not do something that can put you at risk. But if you're going to die due to something outside of your control, no point in stressing about it.

If I were in some sort of state that would keep me from living a full life, such as loss of a limb or paralysis or a vegetative state, then yeah, I'd rather be dead.

4. Post #4
    July 2009
    4,685 Posts
    The whole paralyzed for life thing is less dependent on the fear of death and more on your sense of humor. Fear of death is also seems to vary. I'm not afraid of dying if its a peaceful death or I know it's going to happen. But if a masked murderer jumps through the window or something like that I'd pretty much shit my pants. I think some people who don't fear death when it comes is because they are more pre-occupied with something else. (sleeping, trying to kill the other guy trying to kill them, working on power lines). Then again, the fear may well be there, just the person doesn't dwell on it. (imagine yourself in the front row at the beginning of a 17th century line infantry battle)

5. Post #5
    May 2011
    2,581 Posts
    It's not as much fear of death as it is what's after death. I would rather be dead than in a vegatative state though.

6. Post #6
    August 2011
    39 Posts
    I am not afraid of death, to be honest. Well, not death itself at least. I am afraid to not be living anymore, you know? When I'm dead, I won't even know I'm dead. I will just be eternally unconscious (or so I believe). But, I don't want to be done living my life. That's the only thing that really hits me.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,891 Posts
    I see it as my consciousness just being extinguished, gone from existence forever. What happens after death is what scares me. Is it just eternal darkness? Its impossible to imagine, and that's what frightens me.

8. Post #8
    Bitch Plzzz!
    Dennab
    September 2011
    834 Posts
    Not if you're a Siamese twin.

I personally find that a fear of death keeps you alive in most cases.

9. Post #9
    July 2007
    336 Posts
    The idea of death I find comforting and simple, pain and suffering is what makes death scary, because it is usually a part of it.

10. Post #10
    October 2008
    1,323 Posts
    "I go into battle determined to die, but if I do not, then I will stride into battle the next day. If all men were like this, all men would be equally brave" - Stonewall Jackson.

I think if you are afraid to die, then you won't live.

11. Post #11
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,799 Posts
    Fuck that shit, I'm afraid to die.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,131 Posts
    I've been in 2 near fatal car accidents in my childhood and been in the hospital for a few serious injuries before. Death happens to all of us, so why be afraid? Might as well just be settled up for it when it happens.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,784 Posts
    I always liked Scorates way of looking at it in Plato's The Apology:
    For this fear of death is indeed the pretence of wisdom, and not real wisdom, being the appearance of knowing the unknown; since no one knows whether death, which they in their fear apprehend to be the greatest evil, may not be the greatest good. Is there not here conceit of knowledge, which is a disgraceful sort of ignorance? And this is the point in which, as I think, I am superior to men in general, and in which I might perhaps fancy myself wiser than other men, - that whereas I know but little of the world below, I do not suppose that I know: but I do know that injustice and disobedience to a better, whether God or man, is evil and dishonorable, and I will never fear or avoid a possible good rather than a certain evil
    This here is a good portion. He speaks of death a lot. But basically, Socrates thought there was no reason to fear death, because no one knows what it after death, so what's the point of fearing it? And even if you think of the options - no perception means we feel nothing, or if there is something, we can understand that now and fell condolence in if only that - there's really no true way you will ever know. So yeah, it's fun to think about all the happenings after death, but without know, what's the point of fearing it?

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    August 2008
    4,435 Posts
    I always liked Scorates way of looking at it in Plato's The Apology:

This here is a good portion. He speaks of death a lot. But basically, Socrates thought there was no reason to fear death, because no one knows what it after death, so what's the point of fearing it? And even if you think of the options - no perception means we feel nothing, or if there is something, we can understand that now and fell condolence in if only that - there's really no true way you will ever know. So yeah, it's fun to think about all the happenings after death, but without know, what's the point of fearing it?
    I don't know.
    Imagining not existing scares me, every memory I ever had, anything I ever did would be gone, and that scares me.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    I'm more afraid of the process of dying, the pain and all that, than I am of what will happen when and after I'm dead.

Edited:

Maybe it's because I don't think about what happens after life.

16. Post #16
    [b]MASSIVE HOMOPHOBE[/b]

April 2010
    3,562 Posts
    I'm not afraid of death, I'm more afraid of what I won't be able to accomplish in my life.

17. Post #17
    I do not fear death. I fear how it will come to me.

If I was vegetated, I wouldn't stop living. I'd still do whatever I could, to the best of my abilities.

18. Post #18
    Official Bro of DD

June 2010
    13,642 Posts
    I do not fear death. I fear how it will come to me.

If I was vegetated, I wouldn't stop living. I'd still do whatever I could, to the best of my abilities.
    "awww look at him, hes breathing the best he can, what a trooper!"

19. Post #19
    "awww look at him, hes breathing the best he can, what a trooper!"
    Awwyeah. But modern medicine can do a lot of things for you. A computer can be taught to understand "Yes" or "No" from your thoughts, and just that opens up a new world.

20. Post #20
    September 2010
    3,265 Posts
    Been a topic about it.

Don't care if i die out of health problems in old age. Everything else, would be more like a useless death. Not afraid, but will fight to survive.

21. Post #21
    April 2010
    185 Posts
    Unless your in a zombie apocolypse. Then, you're surrounded by people who love you not for whats on the outside, but what's on the inside.

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    8,017 Posts
    I'd prefer to be gunned down than die in some hospital bed with some nurse having to clean up my shit.

23. Post #23
    April 2010
    185 Posts
    I'd prefer to be gunned down than die in some hospital bed with some nurse having to clean up my shit.
    And drool.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    Fear death if it motivates you to live more, embrace it if you need to do so to get through the day.

There is no right or wrong answer here, do whatever you have to do. You're gonna die anyway.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,917 Posts
    Find ways to relieve your fear of death.

26. Post #26
    February 2010
    10,168 Posts
    I'm not afraid of it, since there's no way for me to avoid it.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,039 Posts

Just like if I were in a crashing plane, I'd probably yell at everybody to shut the hell up. Screaming aint gonna do shit to stop what is happening. At least let me have some peace to reflect before I die.
    People like to say that they would be calm and collected in that situation, but when shit hits the turbine and you begin falling, you'll panic like the rest of us.

Edited:

It's not as much fear of death as it is what's after death. I would rather be dead than in a vegatative state though.
    Why fear what comes after?
    If there's nothing, you won't know, if there is an afterlife, then awesome.
    The only possibility is a pleasant surprise.

Personally, if I were about to die, I'd do my best to not stress it too much, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be scared shitless. It's basic human instinct to be afraid when you are about to die.

28. Post #28
    September 2011
    172 Posts
    I am not afraid to die. It's the pain I will receive in process of dying.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,788 Posts
    I am not afraid of dying to a large extent, but the prospect that your probably going to cease to exist completely is chilling.

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    397 Posts

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,917 Posts
    I don't think the brain "creates the mind". Fair enough the processes involve the brain, such as motor responses and such, but the way the "mind" works is very complex as compared to simply motor responses.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    6,660 Posts
    no reason to be afraid of something which, by definition, you cannot experience

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,135 Posts
    i got stuck knee deep and started sinking in mud on a riverbank once and i thought i was going to die but there was a fallen tree nearby so i pulled myself out

34. Post #34
    August 2009
    6,217 Posts
    its stupid to be scared of something inevitable, as is ignoring it

being aware of it and planning your life accordingly is different altogether

35. Post #35
    April 2011
    397 Posts
    no reason to be afraid of something which, by definition, you cannot experience
    I feel a little better now :)

36. Post #36
    September 2011
    86 Posts
    I'm not afraid of death or dying. I'm afraid of the potential pain it brings with it.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2009
    3,687 Posts
    I'm not that afraid of dying, I'm worried that when I get old, i'll become senile and never be the person I am now.

I imagine when I become old, I'll do risky, life-threatening stuff because I'll know that I don't have that long to live. Why fear death when your going to die anyway?

38. Post #38
    July 2010
    4,024 Posts
    Who knows though, death could be a whole lot better than life, I'm not scared of death

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    846 Posts
    In some cases, being afraid of dying is what keeps you alive.

That's most of what most of us fear as humans, things we don't know (like.. we aren't afraid of the dark, we're afraid of what may be in the dark). Basic instinct is to preserve oneself, that's why we have responses like fight or flight fueled by adrenaline.. Survive at any costs to continue your own life (and, ideally, the species as a whole) which lends itself to the basic fear of death as a whole.

We don't know what happens when you die, nobody has ever died and lived to talk about it - or at least not died and stayed dead (what a silly sentence), people who "die" but are resuscitated have been known to talk of "seeing Heaven" or things of the like but who knows? It could just be that's what they want and so in their dying moments, their brain convinced them that's what happened/is happening.

Really, we'll all be dead much longer than we're alive. Live life to the fullest and when you die, it's either going to end abruptly and you won't even know it ever happened at all (or know anything for that matter..) or you'll move on to something else. Who knows, maybe we'll all be kickin' it in the afterlife, laughing at our fear of death and all the fallacies of life..

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    5,888 Posts
    Fear of death is pretty silly, in my opinion.
    It is completely understandable in a situation where ones life could actually end, but to live everyday fearing something that will happen to everybody one day is silly.
    Death is scary, but do not spend your life fearing it.