1. Post #1
    August 2010
    172 Posts
    [N/A]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2009
    2,152 Posts
    Looks like a good theme, but trying to think of a full gamemode that wont get boring with it might be challenging.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,404 Posts
    I REALLY like this theme, it has a lot of potential and it's not too enclosed to a point where everybody is making the same thing.

4. Post #4

September 2011
    4 Posts
    Banking: The Game

I have to agree, great theme
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    363 Posts
    Now this is a good theme!
    I might join if I figure out a good idea.

6. Post #6
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Someone could do "Clue!" again. It would fit the theme.

7. Post #7
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    I have one word that I'm doing.

Pursuit. (car based chase)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    952 Posts
    Wall Street: The Game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    I would love to join this one, if only I could make up something I could make with the theme.

10. Post #10
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    So you can't think of anything criminal ? How about a riot gamemode where there's a team of cops that have to protect stores against rioters looting them. Now that's original (lol)

11. Post #11
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,404 Posts
    London Rioters: The game.

You play as a cop/rioter.

Ontopic: wish I could code. Hell, maybe I'll learn by entering.

12. Post #12
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    London Rioters: The game.

You play as a cop/rioter.

Ontopic: wish I could code. Hell, maybe I'll learn by entering.
    Awesome, that's the spirit!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,404 Posts
    Awesome, that's the spirit!
    Your positive comment has inspired me!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    boy i sure do love it when my title doesnt fit
    December 2009
    6,493 Posts
    Making a gamemode where one player is an old lady and everyone has to steal her purse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2010
    1,181 Posts
    Stealing candy from babies.

16. Post #16
    August 2010
    172 Posts
    Just a reminder, time marches fast, only 10 days left!

17. Post #17
    August 2011
    114 Posts
    Asking for time extension, Most people won't even be done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Oh hell yes I am so entering this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Chill Moderator
    May 2007
    6,302 Posts
    We're not going to extend just because a few people started late. Gamemodes do not need to be perfect, just developed enough to show what its basic concept and purpose are.

20. Post #20
    August 2010
    172 Posts
    If you can't get at least a rough outline together in three weeks your original idea was most likely too complex.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    Seperate thread created for my entry: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1130569
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,537 Posts
    Making a gamemode where one player is an old lady and everyone has to steal her purse.
    but secretly she is a shaolin monk

23. Post #23
    I'm rocketsnail full of rocketfail! Drop boxes ⇒⇒⇒
    January 2011
    1,311 Posts
    Damn, I was planning on doing the October Ludum Dare.

Maybe I'll do the thing I was going to write for the fretta contest.

24. Post #24
    August 2010
    172 Posts
    5 days.

Remember submission of entries is done at http://www.gmodgcc.org/submitgamemode closer to the end date.

25. Post #25
    August 2009
    6 Posts
    Some one should have made a bank heist mode.

26. Post #26
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    Okay unfortunately I've not been able to finish the gamemode and It doesn't look like I ever will. With IRL jobs and life getting a bit more hectic the time I have left I don't tend to enjoy coding.

Either way I have emailed the gamemode to the email.

Note: It dosn't end yet, car spawns aren't working 100%, however the intial idea is there, and I'm not too happy with the codding ;p

27. Post #27
    August 2010
    172 Posts
    That's okay frosty, glad you tried and personally what you had looked pretty great so I'm gutted that it won't be finished, I'll look forward to playing what is done!

As a note, submissions end 23:59 tomorrow so get cracking if you're not already done!

28. Post #28
    October 2009
    285 Posts
    I just hope the next theme will allow for more original ideas..

29. Post #29
    August 2010
    172 Posts
    I just hope the next theme will allow for more original ideas..
    Regardless of the theme some people always complain that they can't think of ideas for it, can't help that. If you have any better ones please do share, we want to make it fun for as many people as possible!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    994 Posts
    You guys should stop going with the theme idea, give people a guideline like "Code a Deathmatch with 10 weapons" or "Code a melon racer" and vote on which one is the best.

31. Post #31
    Chill Moderator
    May 2007
    6,302 Posts
    You guys should stop going with the theme idea, give people a guideline like "Code a Deathmatch with 10 weapons" or "Code a melon racer" and vote on which one is the best.
    It sounds like it's an idea worth trying, but I feel as though we'd get a ton of unoriginal duplicate gamemodes that aren't fun to play or judge.

32. Post #32
    August 2010
    172 Posts
    An hour left guys, get them sent!

33. Post #33
    March 2008
    718 Posts
    It looks as if we only have 1 submission.

34. Post #34
    Chill Moderator
    May 2007
    6,302 Posts
    That's unfortunate. It sounded like there would be more entries this time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,404 Posts
    Well this is disappointing.. This needed more exposure then just the gamemode dev section..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    PROUD BRONY 4LYFE
    February 2009
    3,312 Posts
    That's what I said after the last one, I think you guys should try it out in the main Lua scripting section, more people read that. Also if you haven't before, try contacting those community run GMod news sites, and get them to advertise it. Just throwing this out there, but maybe you could contact the more well-known developers too, and ask if they want to get involved? You could even ask Garry to advertise it on his blog?

It's a shame really, especially for the 1 person who puts the effort in to submit an entry, to only find no-one else did.

Another potential idea, if gamemodes are too much effort for people to make, why not try addons?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,404 Posts
    That's what I said after the last one, I think you guys should try it out in the main Lua scripting section, more people read that. Also if you haven't before, try contacting those community run GMod news sites, and get them to advertise it. Just throwing this out there, but maybe you could contact the more well-known developers too, and ask if they want to get involved? You could even ask Garry to advertise it on his blog?

It's a shame really, especially for the 1 person who puts the effort in to submit an entry, to only find no-one else did.

Another potential idea, if gamemodes are too much effort for people to make, why not try addons?
    I was thinking front page announcement would be suitable, it really needs decent exposure as not a lot of people will enter.

38. Post #38
    Chill Moderator
    May 2007
    6,302 Posts
    We've done a lot of these things in the past with similar results. When garry ran the contests, he would post a front page announcement. Not much I can do about that.

The problem is we get a lot of people who say they're going to enter, but then don't because they either forget or stop developing because they don't think it's good enough. I liked the past contests where we had a bunch of half-assed gamemodes with lots of potential that continued development after the contest. I haven't seen that in quite some time.

Wouldn't hurt to post in the Lua section next time. I think we've had decent exposure, there's just not enough people interested.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    994 Posts
    We've done a lot of these things in the past with similar results. When garry ran the contests, he would post a front page announcement. Not much I can do about that.

The problem is we get a lot of people who say they're going to enter, but then don't because they either forget or stop developing because they don't think it's good enough. I liked the past contests where we had a bunch of half-assed gamemodes with lots of potential that continued development after the contest. I haven't seen that in quite some time.

Wouldn't hurt to post in the Lua section next time. I think we've had decent exposure, there's just not enough people interested.
    That is why I suggested predetermined gamemodes or "Improve on" gamemodes. The problem with the actual model is that people comes by and look at the theme telling themselves: "Shit I got this nice idea for the gamemode I'll code it and submit it". Unfortunatly for them, once they've coded their awesome idea, they realize they have to code the entire gamemode to suit it and thus they lose motivation.

Here's my idea: Give either a skeleton gamemode or a basic gamemode to reproduce and then ask the contestants to twist it following a given theme. Also, it will probably give the contestants a better sense of competition as everyone's idea could aswell be in someone else's gameplay.

40. Post #40
    April 2009
    445 Posts
    Well this is disappointing.. This needed more exposure then just the gamemode dev section..
    This is what we need really. As said later on prep-haps get support from Garry, even if he just posts it seeing as no offence to people but if garry posts something everyone just posts back (i.e. follow him)

Also I'm back xd.