1. Post #1
    August 2011
    655 Posts
    This year, Apple repeatedly referred to this age as the "post-PC" era, officially downgrading its Macs and MacBooks to the rank of "device", equal to the iPads, iPhones and iPods in terms of how important it is relaative to them. With the release of iCloud, no device will be required to be "subordinate" to another.

With the release of Mac OS X Lion, Apple also transferred a number of design principles from its touch-screen devices to Mac, including large numbers of gesture-based controls (notably, scrolling with the trackpad as you might scroll down on an iPad - the "other way" to normal). Launchpad, Apple's brand new app organiser, is effectively the iPhone/iPad UI, and it all seems very much designed with a touch screen in mind. It makes the announcement of touch-screen Macs, or iPads running full-fledged Mac OS X, a more feasible reality.

Microsoft is doing a very similar thing with Windows 8, somewhat controversially announcing that it will use the Metro UI from Windows Phones as its primary UI, with the traditional "desktop" reduced to just another one of the many apps.

The issue for debate, really, is: Is the world truly ready for these "post-PC" devices, or are these simply radical changes made "for the hell of it" by Apple and Microsoft to make their devices more user-friendly and singular?

In the case of OS X Lion, things like the reversed scrolling seem somewhat unweildly when applied for a trackpad, and would be much better suited to a MacBook/iMac with a touchscreen. Patents for such devices exist, but the devices themselves do not. In the case of Windows 8, a friend of mine installed the Developer Preview and told me that it was nigh-uncontrollable with a mouse, and once again would be better suited to a touch screen-based interface. Very few computers employ touchscreens, and it's quite possible none employ them in the smooth, multi-touch-capable way that Windows 8 seems to demand. It seems almost as if Apple and Microsoft's ambitions have made their software "outgrow" the hardware it has run on without incident for years - and in the case of Windows 8 in its current state, almost renders all previous PCs obsolete.

But what do you think?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,378 Posts
    "Post-PC" is a bullshit term made by Jobs, Passive tablets for media consumption like the iPad are only trends, Soon or later it's sales will decrease, And Windows 8 itself is on a "PC" world

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    4,239 Posts
    Post-PC world? So my computer will never be private again? Sounds like some 1984 crap.

4. Post #4
    August 2011
    655 Posts
    "Post-PC" is a bullshit term made by Jobs, Passive tablets for media consumption like the iPad are only trends, Soon or later it's sales will decrease, And Windows 8 itself is on a "PC" world
    While we may not live in a "post-PC" world as Jobs has preened, I'm not entirely convinced that the demand for tablets such as the iPad will decrease, particularly as it has awakened a brand new market that Samsung, HTC, Motorola and ASUS have so eagerly jumped into. Microsoft is certainly making a bold move with Windows 8, particularly given the i5 quad-core tablet they had Samsung build to show it off.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,644 Posts
    Well it really comes down to what areas you are referring to. There's a number a number of places where the devices essentially vastly outcompete PC's (mobile light range enjoynment) but PC still reign supreme in anything work related.

The truth is, a PC is essentially a device on par with an ipad, or mobile phone. It just excels in different areas.

To be honest, a merger of the two is also quite possible. Have a tablet which you can use as such and just get to work and plug it into a workstation where it acts as a normal pc. But in most cases you will essentially get an evolution of the PC era instead of a post-pc era. Think PC+ as opposed to just PC :)

A very large numbers of us already exist in a protostage of this. Just think how many people replaced their desktops with laptops. Now when and if tablets become as powerful as laptops and just as useful with a workstation that is bundled with them, I can see them become suddenly far more mainstage.

And I think microsoft is preparing for this, by including an accessible two stage UI into windows 8. Maybe even more so than Apple at this moment.
    It's kind of a signature move for windows. Let the market evolve around you and get caught behind, then move into the market and utterly massively dominate it.

The OS market is a prime example, a secondary example I can think of is word processors, consoles, grpahical API's etc.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,364 Posts
    Whether or not you like Windows 8 is subjective, but I personally have had no problems with using touchpad or mouse with Windows 8, other than a few applications not using it properly (that's probably gonna be ironed out before release). Windows 8 is not a post-pc OS, and it's not going there, it's simply the first touch-screen efficient desktop OS, among many other features it delivers. Microsoft plans to use this on tablets, Apple do not, and therefore I find the iOS elements in Mac OSX kinda redundant, as of yet.

I can see Microsoft actually breaking through with this, OEMs will have to use Windows 8 either way, simply because they have nowhere else to go, and thus most consumers will have to run it. Windows 8 itself is demands less computational power than Windows 7, and it boots up on my laptop's 5400RPM (not very fast) HDD in about 17 seconds with the BIOS and me having to choose "Windows 8" in the boot menu. That is a huge improvement over Windows 7, and it's one of many. I don't think it'll take over iOS and Android on the tablet market necessarily, but I think it will be able to get and maintain a fair market-share. UI wise, it can be discussed whether it's better or not, but remember that it isn't even beta software.

Edited:

Windows 8 boot time is actually a fair bit lower than Android and iOS.

7. Post #7
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,080 Posts
    Tablets will never overtake laptops, and even if certain computers shares similar characteristics they will always stay as separate and different categories. Just because Apple thinks otherwise, it doesn't make it true.

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    The PC keeps evolving, there is no such thing as the "post PC" world, since not one none-PC device can come close to matching the productivity and functionality of the IBM PC.

9. Post #9
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    I hate the "Post-PC" bs. Half of what I do on my PC is 3D games like TF2, Serious Sam, etc

Plus you can't compare those free online (and ipad compatible) photo editors to Photoshop. You also don't got something like high end photoviewers, video or audio editors, or anything close to FF or Chrome on tablets. (No mobile FF is not good enough).

I mean web browsing on most mobile devices sucks, and I hate not using a mouse and dedicated keyboard (and a real one, like a mechanical keyboard)

I also hate those damn tiny screens, coming from a 24" 1920x1200 H-IPS monitor owner. It's fine for on the go, but I'd never use a tablet or smartphone at home.

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    I only use my phone at home when I'm on the crapper. Any other time and I will reach for my laptop without hesitation.

11. Post #11
    November 2010
    123 Posts
    I believe the future of PC's and computers in general will be one device fits all. so your phone will be your pc as well, you will just take it home and plug it into your workstation and it will act as your pc. The days of plugins, consoles and different platforms are numbered.

Virtual reality will make a strong come back and be as much a part of peoples lifes as Facebook is today, It will be a very interesting few years.

I am quite glad in a way that Microsoft is pushing new ideas out. I disliked the Metro interface though, I find it quite hard to see white on green and was dissapointed I could not change the Metro background.

My carreer as a level designer has a very bright future... that is if the world doesn't fall apart

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    965 Posts
    There's two main problem with tablets, phones and devices like that, keyboards' physical feedback and precision of movement.

Once they find a solution to make these thing portable (which is not actually, touch screen is both the keyboard and the mouse with WAY less precision and physical feedback (key presses and mouse click)), tablets will take over PCs.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,411 Posts
    I do love my eee Transformer, but seriously, the whole post PC world stuff is all bullshit. It is almost like a scare tactic invented by Steve Jobs "Buy an iPad because PC's have no future herp derp."

14. Post #14
    August 2011
    939 Posts
    I do love my eee Transformer, but seriously, the whole post PC world stuff is all bullshit. It is almost like a scare tactic invented by Steve Jobs "Buy an iPad because PC's have no future herp derp."
    That's not what he means by post-PC. He means post-PC dominance in the market and technological relevance

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,411 Posts
    That's not what he means by post-PC. He means post-PC dominance in the market and technological relevance

By removing the dominance, you remove a lot of the support. Just look at how many applications you have for windows vs mac os.