1. Post #1
    Ohoho, here's an opinion that's split on Facepunch.

Here's my opinion;
    Death penalty is the most middle-aged backwards thing that exists in Western countries today. The concept of taking a life in so called "justice" is the most ironic and blatantly irrational nonsense I have ever heard.
    Here's why;

1) You are lowering yourself to the murderers level. You are taking a sacred human life. Something with a heart, a brain and conscious thought. You are effectively becoming what you despise, and if you don't realize that then you might as well be as cold as the murderer himself.

2) Revenge in itself is a backwards thing in my opinion. You have to take the emotional aspect out of a sentence if you are to achieve true, proper safety and justice. A murderer, thief, rapist or any other person should be kept away from society to keep society safe, until he/she is no threat to society. What happens to him in prison should be of no relevance to any victims. The crime committing person is still a person, and should god damn well be treated like one.

3) "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi said that, possibly one of the worlds wisest men. And trust me, this is true. To move a tad away from death sentences, American prisons are in general horrid. Personally, I think the perfect prisons in the world is the one in Scandinavia. Nice apartment for the convicts, maximum 21 year sentence and a good dose of rehabilitation. Not only are we teaching them to be better humans, it also works.
    In the US around 60% of criminals re-commit after being released from prison, in Norway that number is one of the lowest in the world - 20% - Future murders, rape e.t.c. prevented.
    Now, I know this isn't about the death penalty, but it goes under the same category - if anything the death penalty doesn't make criminals too afraid to commit a crime. Instead it teaches them to hate their government.

4) Some times innocent people are convicted with the death penalty, and only later it is found out that they are innocent. There are always variables. Lying witnesses, falsified evidence or pure chance guarantees that there is no way of being sure that the person in question is guilty. And even if he is, he does NOT deserve it.

5) Surprisingly (according to what I've read) it is much cheaper to incarcerate for a lifetime then it is to execute. It is two to five times more expensive to execute then to keep someone in prison for 80 years in fact. Because of the appeals, attorneys, lawyers, required procedures e.t.c.

6) It wastes tons upon tons of resources. Takes up days in courts, making the entire justice system slow down.

7) It sends the wrong message to the country. Why kill people to show that killing is wrong?

8) Members of the jury may plead innocent as to protect people from the death penalty, hence sending murderers onto the streets.

9) Can you imagine the effects this will have on the convicts family and friends?

10) I fail to see how killing someone actually helps anyone.

11) Mentally ill people who need treatment may be killed instead.

There are 11 reasons for why the death penalty needs to be abolished from the world as we know it. There is no logic in the death penalty, only emotion. And emotion should not rule a people.

...and there's my opinion. You go.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Capital punishment should be banned, people are sent to prison to be rehabilitated, not to be punished.

3. Post #3
    I am for it,but not for the often use,but merely as a threat so you could manipulate criminals to betray other criminals.
    And when they do it,at least they should make sure criminal is actually guilty

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,739 Posts
    I was pretty pro-death penalty up until a few months ago. I don't know what did it, but I changed my mind pretty much overnight. I suppose it was the argument that executing a killer makes the state just as bad.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,602 Posts
    I find it strange as a religious person that so many other religious people seem to support the Death Penalty. It serves nothing.

Spending your life behind bars at least gives them a chance to ask forgiveness but killing them outright just condemns them. That why Rick Parry makes me rage so much, how can Christians support that guy? Anyway, death sentences shouldn't happen for anyone whatever they have done.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,034 Posts
    Mixed opinion.

Yes, we sort-of become murderers ourselves by taking the lives of people/criminals, who might even be pleaded innocent in some rare occasions in the future, and it's wrong in the points you took note of.

However, in some (corrupt) governmental systems for example, a rich criminal with a lot of connections can buy his way out of a jail sentence, possibly continuing his mayhem that brought him into jail in the first place. So do we take his life, or let him take other people's lives? Of course, this is a very extreme example. In almost every other case, I would have been against the death sentence.

7. Post #7
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,860 Posts
    Capital punishment should be banned, people are sent to prison to be rehabilitated, not to be punished.
    Not saying death penalty should be used, but what about people who can not be rehabilitated? Imagine a terrorist who was was responsible for an attack, I don't think people like that could ever be rehabilitated, right?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,413 Posts
    Last i remember, lifers don't need to be rehabilitated, they will die in prison. And capital punishment shouldn't be banned, just used only in exceptional cases, such as a brutal serial killer that poses a danger to everything near him/her. This killer would be too dangerous to even allow for a chance of them escaping. and don't say maximum security is inescapable, there's been several cases of people getting free from even the most secure prisons.

9. Post #9
    December 2010
    47 Posts
    The death penalty is hypocritical and barbaric.

10. Post #10
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,378 Posts
    And when they do it, at least they should make sure criminal is actually guilty
    How do you define "at least make sure"?

Every nation tries to make sure completely, that the accused is guilty of his/her crimes when employing the death penalty.

No matter how "sure" they are, there are always cases of people being acquitted from their crimes, posthumously.

11. Post #11
    April 2010
    1,278 Posts
    On paper I support the death penalty, but the chance of an innocent being convicted makes me not support it.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    Not saying death penalty should be used, but what about people who can not be rehabilitated? Imagine a terrorist who was was responsible for an attack, I don't think people like that could ever be rehabilitated, right?
    Everyone can change, and they should be given the chance to change no matter how bad crimes did they commit.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,739 Posts
    And capital punishment shouldn't be banned, just used only in exceptional cases
    I don't really see that as a valid argument. If you make an exception for a "good" reason, you'll make an exception for a bad one.

14. Post #14
    I <3 OTTERS~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    9,935 Posts
    I'm against death sentences, if you want someone to be punished, throw them into a cell for the rest of their lives.

Even though that is just how I've been raised.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,739 Posts
    I am for it,but not for the often use,but merely as a threat so you could manipulate criminals to betray other criminals.
    And when they do it,at least they should make sure criminal is actually guilty
    Yes, of course they never normally check to see whether the criminals are guilty.

16. Post #16
    November 2010
    652 Posts
    I am for the death penalty.
    If someone is irrefutably guilty of cold-blooded, calculated murder (not manslaughter), then I feel that he/she should be executed. I can't speak for other countries, but in Ireland, if I kill someone and am found guilty of murder, I can be sentenced to 12-35 years in prison (usually it is 12-18), and get an automatic reduction for good behaviour of at least 10-20%. That means I can murder someone, and be out of jail in about 10-15 years and live the rest of my life freely, while my victim will never be able to do the same.

Not only is the death sentence a good deterrent, but being released in 10-15 years for murder is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. I'm not crazy about the death sentence, and I could probably accept real life sentences as a substitute for the death sentence (instead of "life sentences" of 12 years), however. But I do feel that the death penalty should be used for severe cases.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member

February 2009
    2,339 Posts
    if you come into our state and you kill one of our children, you kill a police officer, you're involved with another crime and you kill one of our citizens, you will face the ultimate justice, and that is, you will be executed.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,938 Posts
    Killing somebody for committing a crime is extremely hypocritical, no matter the morals.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,366 Posts
    Depends on the condition. If they're a person who's been fucked up in the head all their life and just slaughtered a preschool or something then the chances of them being truly rehabilitated ain't happening most likely.

In extremely rare cases like these I would not argue against a death penalty.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    238 Posts
    Damn, beat me to the thread!

Anyway, the death penalty should be abolished, especially in the US states that haven't already. Just does not make sense to bring justice to a murder by murdering. Even if you agree on some moral ground that criminals should be given the death penalty, you might then want to look at it financially. You'd be surprised how much it costs taxpayers just to execute someone.

For example:

The California death penalty system costs taxpayers $114 million per year beyond the costs of keeping convicts locked up for life.
    Taxpayers have paid more than $250 million for each of the state’s executions. (L.A. Times, March 6, 2005)
    Is it really worth it?

More useful info here: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documents/FactSheet.pdf

21. Post #21
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,496 Posts
    I believe that death penalty should be made optional for those that are sent in for lifetime sentence, where the prisoners gets the option to stay in prison indefinitely or to be executed in ways which he or she prefers. After all, staying in prison for the rest of your life is a form of slow and painful mental torture.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,739 Posts
    if you come into our state and you kill one of our children, you kill a police officer, you're involved with another crime and you kill one of our citizens, you will face the ultimate justice, and that is, you will be executed.
    Just because it happens doesn't mean it's right.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,938 Posts
    I believe that death penalty should be made optional for those that are sent in for lifetime sentence, where the prisoners gets the option to stay in prison indefinitely or to be executed in ways which he or she prefers. After all, staying in prison for the rest of your life is a form of slow and painful mental torture.
    That's euthanasia, which is illegal.

Funny how that's illegal but the death sentence isn't.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,581 Posts
    people are sent to prison to be rehabilitated
    Except rehabilitation doesn't always work. Plenty of people that are released from prison do the same shit all over again.

25. Post #25

September 2009
    927 Posts
    I'm completely against it, It's just as bad as murder imo.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,739 Posts
    Except rehabilitation doesn't always work. Plenty of people that are released from prison do the same shit all over again.
    Norway's prisons are suited for rehabilitation and they have a recidivism rate vs the US's 52%.

27. Post #27

28. Post #28
    The artist formerly known as Acolyt3
    May 2011
    93 Posts
    If you are for the death penalty you are basically saying that it is okay to kill another human being. I am strongly against death penalty, because for some hardboiled criminals it is an easy way out. I myself if i had made a horrible crime i would rather die than be in prison for the rest of my life. And that's probably what some criminals think too.

29. Post #29
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,496 Posts
    That's euthanasia, which is illegal.
    Not globally. For places that are still legal, euthanasia are strictly limited to those that have serious terminal diseases and such.

Funny how that's illegal but the death sentence isn't.
    Again, not globally. If a country or state have laws against death sentence, then death sentence is also considered illegal.

Just because it is not permitted in certain areas in the world, it does not equal to the law not being able to change.

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    July 2009
    1,602 Posts
    Some people just need to die, what if I ate 5 year old boy's penises and then burned them. Shouldn't I die?

31. Post #31
    Some people just need to die, what if I ate 5 year old boy's penises and then burned them. Shouldn't I die?
    Nope. You are still a human.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,938 Posts
    No. You are clearly disturbed and need help.

33. Post #33
    Nope. You are still a human.
    He's cannibal.He isn't human anymore.

34. Post #34
    September 2011
    354 Posts
    Death penalty is savage, believe it or not rehabilitation is a real process that works and since the costs of killing someone is higher than actually keeping them alive there's no real reason to kill them than pure malice.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,957 Posts
    I am very strictly against death penalty; I wouldn't even want dictators and mass-murderers to be legally murdered by the state. Yes, they have commited terrible and unexcusable crimes, but a human's right to his own life is inviolable and unforfeitable. No actions a person has committed — regardless of their nature — can never justify having his life taken as well, because then we will — as a society — just be as bad as the person we are executing.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,739 Posts
    Wrong! He doesn't suddenly change species as soon as he commits a crime.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,182 Posts
    I think that people incarcerated for life (with or without chance of parole) should have the option for an "execution" (ie euthanasia)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    July 2009
    1,602 Posts
    No. You are clearly disturbed and need help.
    what if don't want help, and wont let anyone help me.

I will continue to eat little boys penises and burn them.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,182 Posts
    So? How can his species change after one singular action?

40. Post #40
    September 2011
    354 Posts
    what if don't want help, and wont let anyone help me.

I will continue to eat little boys penises and burn them.
    You don't have a choice in the matter :)