1. Post #1
    Dennab
    August 2011
    442 Posts
    Provocative signs and provocative clothing were seen marching in a 'SlutWalk' protest in the streets of Downtown Tampa on Saturday.

The name of the protest is about as provocative as the signs and clothing of some of the protestors

"Don't tell me how to dress. Tell them not to rape," one protestor's sign read.

SlutWalk Tampa organizer Charli Solis said the word slut is uncomfortable, but it draws attention to the purpose of the protest.

"It's uncomfortable to say (slut). It's not a nice word. But sexual assault is uncomfortable, and it's not nice, and it's not pretty," Solis said.

The first SlutWalk protestors took to the streets of Toronto on April 3, roughly two months after Toronto Police officer Michael Sanguinetti suggested “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized”.

The officer’s thoughts on the issue ignited a campaign by a group of women in Toronto to effort reclamation of the word slut from being a derogatory term.

The movement is so serious about reclaiming the term, protestors have taken the provocative and intriguing step of calling themselves sluts as the marches spread around the globe.

“Whether a fellow slut or simply an ally, you don’t have to wear your sexual proclivities on your sleeve, we just ask that you come,” SlutWalk Tampa said on their Facebook page.

The movement is predominately an uprising and ‘out-speaking’ of female 20-something educated, empowered feminists, but Solis said women and girls -- and men -- throughout the age, moral and belief spectrum protested at Tampa’s SlutWalk.

The purpose of SlutWalk, Solis said, is to invigorate the debate that will bring sexual respect for women and usher in the understanding that sex sells because it is a basic human experience that should be embraced, not abused.

18-year-old FSU student, SlutWalk Tampa speaker and rape survivor Teagan Alexander said she goes to clubs, likes to go out and likes to look pretty.

Alexander explained she was a victim of sexual assault roughly 10 months before she posted her YouTube video entitled “My Dress is NOT A yes!” on June 22. “Just because I like to wear a tight black dress, it’s not an invitation to have sex with me,” Alexander said in the video.

She also stated she is a “virgin” -- physically throwing up air quotes to emphasize “virgin” because of her rape experience.

Alexander said some women might wear tight jeans with a red thong sticking out, but just because they dress provocatively, or lack full body clothing, does't mean men are granted a free pass to sexually assault them.

As an example, Alexander suggested in the video for some considering sexually assaulting a woman to go to a beach, look at a 13-year-old in a bikini and ask themselves if the provocative dress and lack of full body clothing would be attractive and give them permission to engage in sexual activity with the girl.

It is an unsettling thought Alexander and Solis felt should be the thought that goes through the mind of any person considering sexually advancing on another person.

Some onlookers passing by the protest said the name of the march is a little shocking, but it definitely did what the marchers set out to do -- get their attention.

"Slutwalk. Yeah, that's a little startling, but I like it. It's a very personal thing for these people to come here," onlooker Shanin Shapiro said.

And it wasn't just women joining the protest. Several men joined in the protest to show their support and to show that men are victims of rape, as well.

"How can you actually stand there and blame the girl for such an atrocious act?" protestor Michael Reed said.

“I love that fact that people are talking about things like this that have never talked about this before. I love that somebody may have saw it in the newspaper or on TV, and they went home and said at dinner, ‘Oh my God, did you hear about that SlutWalk? And they’re talking about it.”

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humanin...cle1192235.ece
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb x 65Funny x 18Friendly x 7Winner x 2Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    Dennab
    August 2009
    7,639 Posts
    I don't think anyone wants to see your "I want you" face, lady.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 166Agree Agree x 22Zing Zing x 4Winner Winner x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2011
    487 Posts
    Why are they all ugly? :o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing x 115Agree x 33Dumb x 6Funny x 3Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,146 Posts
    How do you protest rape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 43 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2010
    1,115 Posts
    Fat is a woman's natural anti-rape device
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 142Disagree x 7Agree x 5Winner x 4Informative x 2Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    wow facepunch you are so cool and edgy I wish I could be as hip as you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 68Dumb x 23Funny x 4Informative x 3Zing x 2Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    they had one of these in Toronto a few months ago

good on them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2008
    2,339 Posts
    What a bunch of sluts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 11Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,582 Posts
    Believe me ladies, you're all fine. Nothing's going to happen to you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 66Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    How do you protest rape.
    idea: read the article before posting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2010
    12,146 Posts
    idea: read the article before posting
    I did read it.
    They're saying to people, "Think before you rape!"
    I don't believe that telling someone to think why they're raping someone will stop them from raping someone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    I did read it.
    I don't believe that telling someone to think why they're raping someone will stop them from raping someone.
    then you didn't understand what you just read

insert coin and try again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 32Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 4Zing Zing x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    ?
    January 2006
    5,151 Posts
    Shit, this happened in Tampa, that's twenty minutes away from me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    9,647 Posts
    Ah, women... when they dress up like that, you'd think they know they're being watched...

(...) But beautiful women always know. That false indifference, superior air... It's just a tease. They want eyes on them. Why does she put on her make up? Do her hair? Dress so nicely? Not for her husband which she hardly ever sees, no, it's for somebody else to notice... I notice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18 (list)

15. Post #15
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I did read it.
    It's advocating more awareness of the crime and better methods of prevention/pursuing investigations.

A lot of rapes go unreported because the victim feels ashamed, that he/she can't trust police or otherwise can't tell anyone. Furthermore, even more rapes that are reported don't ever see a conviction. They happen so frequently that police just put the reports in a pile. Also given many rape victims are female prostitutes, police frankly don't give a shit.

That's what the protest is about, you edgy fucks you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 28Dumb x 2Friendly x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2009
    9,647 Posts
    Anyhow, I approve of this, regardless...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Ah, women... when they dress up like that, you'd think they know they're being watched...
    wanting to look good =/= asking for rape

That's like saying a man who works out is just asking to get into bar fights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    August 2011
    442 Posts
    I wish I worked in the police department to have the SWAT be deployed and fight off these fat-women, but leave the pretty ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    how dare they protest violent crimes against women. they're ugly so they should be locked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

20. Post #20
    JWJ
    Meepwnd
    April 2010
    3,322 Posts
    i should dress myself up like this guy and just sit by the protest next time

it's like a 3 hour drive tho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 33Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2010
    12,146 Posts
    then you didn't understand what you just read

insert coin and try again
    I'm really starting to not like you.

I'm really not seeing what they're accomplishing.
    People thinking differently about the victim in rape isn't going to stop rape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

22. Post #22
    September 2011
    250 Posts
    Reminds me of the "Those whose lips touch alcohol shall not touch mine" ladies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i should dress myself up like this guy
    yeah go to a protest wearing black-face i'm sure you'll get a warm reception.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22 (list)

24. Post #24
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts

uh oh, Kalibos, ABA Survivor might not like you.

Shit, Kalibos, what will you do if you lose his respect?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly x 30Funny x 12Dumb x 6Artistic x 2Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    no kalibos dont there are other fish in the sea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    there are none like him ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2011
    3,355 Posts
    Like anybody would rape them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    a lot of them are rape victims

how about you stop pretending the last thing that got your dick wet wasn't the sweat from your palms.

nobody thinks you're tough because you insult rape victims on the internet

nobody is buying it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 42Dumb x 9Zing x 4Winner x 4Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    908 Posts
    Erm....hooray?

31. Post #31
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    and it just became pathetic
    time to strap my vagina on and get empowered!

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    17,300 Posts

You didn't read the damn thread did you

they're not protesting rapists as much as they are the attitude that lets rape be a more minor crime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    23,892 Posts

how about you stop pretending the last thing that got your dick wet wasn't the sweat from your palms.

nobody is buying it.
    Oh how I've missed watching you tear into people like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34

nobody is buying it.
    Did you seriously come into this thread expecting condolences and support, rather than fat and ugly jokes? This is the internet, and worse, this is facepunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2009
    3,864 Posts
    18-year-old FSU student, SlutWalk Tampa speaker and rape survivor Teagan Alexander said she goes to clubs, likes to go out and likes to look pretty.
    She's from my high school.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Did you seriously come into this thread expecting condolences and support, rather than fat and ugly jokes? This is the internet, and worse, this is facepunch.
    I expected at very least some degree of literacy.

Clearly that's too much to ask given most people in this thread didn't read the article and just started talking shit about the picture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    The Cock Eater
    July 2007
    1,694 Posts

nobody is buying it.
    A lot of people just look at the pic and assume, 'hur dyrp ugly girls wanting attention!!' without reading or anything. Then again, most people don't care if it doesn't directly involve themselves..

38. Post #38
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    Dennab
    August 2009
    7,639 Posts
    I expected at very least some degree of literacy.

Clearly that's too much to ask given most people in this thread didn't read the article and just started talking shit about the picture.
    I figured someone was going to make the shitty joke, why not I and rake in some funny ratings

I must be absolved of my sins

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    A lot of people just look at the pic and assume, 'hur dyrp ugly girls wanting attention!!' without reading or anything. Then again, most people don't care if it doesn't direction involve themselves..
    Why is the internet so anti-feminist?

40. Post #40
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I figured someone was going to make the shitty joke, why not I and rake in some funny ratings

I must be absolved of my sins
    The shitty joke makes you look like a ponce.