1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,679 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americ...ss_igoogle_cnn

(CNN) -- Social media users who denounce drug cartel activities along the Mexican border received a brutal warning this week: two mangled bodies hanging like cuts of meat from a pedestrian bridge.

A woman was hogtied and disemboweled, her intestines protruding from three deep cuts on her abdomen. Attackers left her topless, dangling by her feet and hands from a bridge in the border city of Nuevo Laredo. A bloodied man next to her was hanging by his hands, his right shoulder severed so deeply the bone was visible.

Signs left near the bodies declared the pair, both apparently in their early 20s, were killed for posting denouncements of drug cartel activities on a social network.

"This is going to happen to all of those posting funny things on the Internet," one sign said. "You better (expletive) pay attention. I'm about to get you."
    The gruesome scene sent a chilling message at a time when online posts have become some of the loudest voices reporting violence in Mexico. In some parts of the country, threats from cartels have silenced traditional media. Sometimes even local authorities fear speaking out.

Bloggers who specialize in sharing news about trafficking have been threatened in the past, but this could be the first time users of such social networks have been targeted.

Investigator Ricardo Mancillas Castillo said he had not encountered a threat against Internet users in his four years based in Nuevo Laredo. But the signs of torture -- the cuts, the disembowelment -- were along the lines of what officials are used to seeing in drug-related violence.

In the case of the two victims on the bridge, their ears and fingers were mutilated, said Mancillas, who works for the public prosecutor's office.
    There are no witnesses, and it is a nearly impossible task to identify the perpetrators, he said.

Thirty-six hours had passed since the bodies were found Tuesday morning, but no one had come to claim them and they remained unidentified, Mancillas said.

It will be nearly impossible to determine if the two victims actually posted anything about cartels on the Internet, as people don't usually use their real names online, he said.

The placards threatened those who report violent incidents through social media networks. It listed two blogs by name, Al Rojo Vivo and Blog del Narco.
    They were signed "Z," a possible reference for the Zetas cartel, which operates in the area.

Blog del Narco is a website that deals exclusively with news related to drug violence in Mexico. Its creator remains anonymous.

On the Al Rojo Vivo forum, where citizens can make anonymous tips, one person wrote: "Don't be afraid to denounce. It's very difficult for them to find out who denounced. They only want to scare society."

One Twitter user echoed that sense of defiance in light of the threats.

"Enough! If we shut up today, we will have lost the ground that we have gained. This is the time to show what we are made of," the owner of the @QuestoyQuelotro Twitter account wrote.

In a statement sent to CNN, Blog del Narco said its site is not dedicated to denouncing crime, as are other sites.
    "In addition, we are not in favor or against any criminal group, we only inform as things happen," the statement said.

More than 34,600 people have died in drug-related violence since Mexican President Felipe Calderon announced a crackdown on cartels in December 2006, according to government statistics. Other reports have listed a higher toll. The latest Mexican government tally was released in January.
    I'd be fucking terrified if I didn't even feel safe politically expressing myself on the internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 68Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,652 Posts
    Legalize, legalize, legalize.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 77Dumb x 12Disagree x 2Winner x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,235 Posts
    If laws against drugs were loosened, these cartels that sell them illegally would have much less power.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 48Disagree Disagree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Mexico needs to get its fucking shit together, shit like this shouldn't be happening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    This is fucking disgusting, how the hell is the US just ignoring this? Clearly the Mexican military is having trouble dealing with it, why don't we offer assistance? If we let it sit for too long, it's gonna hit us.

Not to mention the fact that stuff like this is happening to innocents down there. That's hideous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,504 Posts
    Fuck I live by Mexico.
    Cartels bring much prosperity to the great nation we all know as Mother Mexico.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,022 Posts
    This is fucking disgusting, how the hell is the US just ignoring this? Clearly the Mexican military is having trouble dealing with it, why don't we offer assistance? If we let it sit for too long, it's gonna hit us.

Not to mention the fact that stuff like this is happening to innocents down there. That's hideous.
    Can't tell if sarcasm

Edited:

If laws against drugs were loosened, these cartels that sell them illegally would have much less power.
    This is pretty much the truth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts
    Mexico needs to get its fucking shit together, shit like this shouldn't be happening.
    $$$$

Mexico had special commandos trained in the states to combat the cartels but the cartels offered higher wages. Thats the Zetas. Shits crazy down there and it's not going to get better.

9. Post #9
    September 2009
    9,672 Posts
    Dammit Mexico... get it together already :/

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    481 Posts
    If we legalize drugs, we would basically cripple them. Look what happened with the Mafia. When prohibition ended, the Mafia pretty much dissolved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 36 (list)

11. Post #11
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,613 Posts
    Here's why Cartels make the Dosh:

Let's say Juan grows Coca plants down in Brazil [1 properly grown plant can produce 1 kilo]. Each one goes for $20 [usd].

That's $20 for the plant, and an extra $5 for the first trafficker.

Once the trafficker gets there, he has to pay the processor. That's about $100.

Now the processing is done, the expensive part begins. A trafficker has to get it from Brazil to Mexico in time, let's say that's $50.

Now for the hard part. Jose needs to get the Crack to Cali for selling. That's at least $150 "Protection" money*.

Now they've moved up into California, and are ready to sell it on the streets.

The Cartel Paid [for 1 kilo): $345

They need to make up for that money, so they jack up prices to get someone to pay for each wad.

Once the money is back, Jose needs to make it back to Mexico in time to pay off his buddies without getting caught by Police or other Cartels.

Legalizing it in the US would reduce the street-prices tenfold, and the Cartels would have to go elsewhere to make their cash.

-snippy snap-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Can't tell if sarcasm
    The entire first part is, last bit is serious. Partially.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    Also, something like 40% of drug use comes from people who think it's "cool" and "edgy" to do [drug name here].
    ah yes i think i read this study, it was done by the university of Yourass of i'm not mistaken?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 19Funny x 7Zing x 2Useful x 1Dumb x 1Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    Also, something like 40% of drug use comes from people who think it's "cool" and "edgy" to do [drug name here]. When it's legal, it's not that Edgy any more.
    cool and 40% of everything else people do is because it's cool and edgy so what is your point exactly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2010
    3,444 Posts
    Zorro strikes again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,613 Posts
    ah yes i think i read this study, it was done by the university of Yourass of i'm not mistaken?
    "something like" means:
    I don't have anywhere to cite this, and I don't want you to take it as a fact, but it could be vialbe in the long run.

Albeit witty, ad hominem statements such as yours help with nothing when it comes to arguments.

Edited:

cool and 40% of everything else people do is because it's cool and edgy so what is your point exactly
    Oh wow , I didn't state my point

Less money will flow to the cartels if the "Edgies" don't feel that rush.

Long Story Short: Legalization = Cartels go Broke [at least the Big Ones like the Medellin]

Wait, the Medellin is the huge one in Mexico and the US, correct?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    I don't have anywhere to cite this
    exactly so why even bother saying it. drug use has nothing to do with the legality. you'll find an incredible amount of people abuse and die from legal drugs so it's a moot point.

and it's not an ad hominem statement because i wasn't attacking you i was attacking what you said.

18. Post #18
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    16,088 Posts
    i think it was just a community college
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2009
    8,268 Posts
    I'm pretty sure what hes talking about like the Netherlands and etc.

20. Post #20
    Holy fuck, I wasted money on this shit?
    August 2011
    1,904 Posts
    Fact: Legalizing drugs would stop most of if not all of this.
    Fact: Legalizing drugs would lead to a lot of deaths from said drugs if they are something like heroin.
    Fact: Mexico's drug cartel is pretty scary man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

21. Post #21
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,613 Posts
    exactly so why even bother saying it. drug use has nothing to do with the legality. you'll find an incredible amount of people abuse and die from legal drugs so it's a moot point.

and it's not an ad hominem statement because i wasn't attacking you i was attacking what you said.
    Snipped

Whatever, it was really unneeded

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,985 Posts
    I'm going to close my facebook now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,512 Posts
    Here's why Cartels make the Dosh:

Let's say Juan grows Coca plants down in Brazil [1 properly grown plant can produce 1 kilo]. Each one goes for $20 [usd].

That's $20 for the plant, and an extra $5 for the first trafficker.

Once the trafficker gets there, he has to pay the processor. That's about $100.

Now the processing is done, the expensive part begins. A trafficker has to get it from Brazil to Mexico in time, let's say that's $50.

Now for the hard part. Jose needs to get the Crack to Cali for selling. That's at least $150 "Protection" money*.

Now they've moved up into California, and are ready to sell it on the streets.

The Cartel Paid [for 1 kilo): $345

They need to make up for that money, so they jack up prices to get someone to pay for each wad.

Once the money is back, Jose needs to make it back to Mexico in time to pay off his buddies without getting caught by Police or other Cartels.

Legalizing it in the US would reduce the street-prices tenfold, and the Cartels would have to go elsewhere to make their cash.

Edited:

Also, something like 40% of drug use comes from people who think it's "cool" and "edgy" to do [drug name here]. When it's legal, it's not that Edgy any more.

I think you just made up every one of those numbers.

I can see marijuana being legalized, but I think coke might be too dangerous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,613 Posts
    Fact: Legalizing drugs would lead to a lot of deaths from said drugs if they are something like heroin.
    I dunno if that would happen or not. You'd think that in the long run, tons of Rehab centers would start popping up. There's 2 or 3 in my town for Alcoholics, and we have stupidly high drug intake rate [no pun intended] so I wouldn't be surprised about them making room for druggies.

As much as the sanctity of human life is important, think how many would be saved if this Cartel shit was stopped.

Edited:

Let's say
    Usually means Guesstimate.

25. Post #25
    August 2011
    1,904 Posts

I can see marijuana being legalized, but I think coke might be too dangerous.
    Agreed, marijuana legalization would lead to good things and stop small time drug dealers from going to prison for way longer than they need to just because they had weed on them.

Edited:

I dunno if that would happen or not. You'd think that in the long run, tons of Rehab centers would start popping up. There's 2 or 3 in my town for Alcoholics, and we have stupidly high drug intake rate [no pun intended] so I wouldn't be surprised about them making room for druggies.

As much as the sanctity of human life is important, think how many would be saved if this Cartel shit was stopped.

Edited:

One problem though, no one likes rehab, most people are given the choice of rehab or prison, when legalized it wouldn't be like that and no one would go to rehab.

26. Post #26
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    i.e. means absolutely nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,613 Posts
    Agreed, marijuana legalization would lead to good things and stop small time drug dealers from going to prison for way longer than they need to just because they had weed on them.
    Marijuana first, by far. Age limits and licensing, just like Alcohol sales.

Edited:

i.e. means absolutely nothing.
    It's an example, sheesh.

All I'm saying is that most of their money comes from the danger of this item being illegal, they need high prices because the risk of being caught is high, and they'd rather have a large payment for it instead of chump change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2011
    5,041 Posts

Money is not a concern for the cartels. As someone once put it "everybody has their price".

29. Post #29
    August 2011
    1,904 Posts
    Marijuana first, by far. Age limits and licensing, just like Alcohol sales.

Edited:

It's an example, sheesh.

All I'm saying is that most of their money comes from the danger of this item being illegal, they need high prices because the risk of being caught is high, and they'd rather have a large payment for it instead of chump change.
    Agreed, the only bad thing I could see come out of it is overpriced weed, but it's better than having the chance of going to prison for something so harmless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    Fuck the Car-

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU? GET OUT OF MY HOUSE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 35Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    266 Posts
    They need to legalize marijuana to begin with. If that doesn't cripple the cartels enough, they should also legalize whatever else is a top profit earner for them. Sure you may say don't legalize coke, it's bad for you. So are cigarettes but you don't hear about people stealing to get a pack of cigs. It really boils down to letting either violent cartels control the drug trade, or businesses who pay taxes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,613 Posts
    They need to legalize marijuana to begin with. If that doesn't cripple the cartels enough, they should also legalize whatever else is a top profit earner for them. Sure you may say don't legalize coke, it's bad for you. So are cigarettes but you don't hear about people stealing to get a pack of cigs. It really boils down to letting either violent cartels control the drug trade, or businesses who pay taxes.
    I say start with Marijuana first, and move on to the others if it works out..

33. Post #33
    August 2011
    1,904 Posts
    Well coke may seem stupid to legalize after weed but it used to be legal and it didn't seem like people were dropping like flies from coke so I would assume it's not THAT bad in moderation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,563 Posts
    Just need to exterminate each of these cartel fuckers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    October 2009
    2,552 Posts
    the cartels are pussys.

Edited:

i don't got them killing me.

36. Post #36
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,642 Posts
    terrible

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,985 Posts
    Don't do it, man. They'll get you no matter what.

Ironically I'm eating flan as I type this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2010
    2,944 Posts
    It's a very prestigious university and it's findings can be trusted without a doubt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,642 Posts
    not every problem can be resolved by killing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    August 2011
    1,904 Posts
    not every problem can be resolved by killing
    It can make us feel better though, they deserve it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)