1. Post #1
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,697 Posts
    Source: http://blog.bittorrent.com/2011/09/1...rity-incident/
    This morning at approximately 4:20 a.m. PT, the uTorrent.com and BitTorrent.com Web servers were compromised. Our standard software download was replaced with a type of fake antivirus “scareware” program.
    Just after 6:00 a.m. PT, we took the affected servers offline to neutralize the threat. Our servers are now back online and functioning normally.
    We have completed preliminary testing of the malware. Upon installation, a program called ‘Security Shield” launches and pops up warnings that a virus has been detected. It then prompts a user for payment to remove the virus. We recommend anyone who downloaded software between 4:20 a.m. and 6:10 a.m. PT run a security scan of their computer.
    We take the security of our systems and the safety of our users very seriously. We sincerely apologize to any users who were affected.
    Clarification: This only affects users who downloaded software specifically from utorrent.com or bittorrent.com between the hours above this morning. Users who previously downloaded our software are not affected.
    Update #2: After further analysis, we don’t believe BitTorrent.com or the BitTorrent Mainline/Chrysalis clients were part of the incident.
    Do you need to worry?
    The download of uTorrent from uTorrent.com specifically (not bitorrent.com) between 4:20 a.m. and 6:10 a.m. PT is infected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 28Useful Useful x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2011
    278 Posts
    I thought hackers and pirates were best buds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 55Agree Agree x 16Zing Zing x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2010
    11,797 Posts
    Better headline would be "Hackers Strike Pirates!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Yes because torrents have no legitimate purpose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

5. Post #5
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,533 Posts
    Pirates pirated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Begun the great war has...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 30Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2011
    8,631 Posts
    Who would be downloading a torrent program at 4-6 in the morning?

I'd be surprised if anyone got the infected file.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb x 69Funny x 5Winner x 3Agree x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,975 Posts
    What are you talking about? I want to go on a long rant about this but I think you might be trolling
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    February 2010
    5,350 Posts
    Good thing I dont get my Linux Distros form uTorrent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,697 Posts

People without lives or different timezones. I dunno.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts

you do realise that there are people who use the internet outside of north america, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 56Disagree x 5Agree x 4Zing x 3Optimistic x 2Informative x 1Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Wam
    July 2011
    254 Posts

I dunno, any one who isn't American I guess, so like, the entire planet except for your small part of the island your country is situated on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2011
    278 Posts
    What are you talking about? I want to go on a long rant about this but I think you might be trolling
    What I'm saying is that both pirates and hackers are committing computer crimes, and they both basically steal programs. So they are related on almost every level besides the means of getting the program. Hackers hack and jailbreak programs while pirates download it from uTorrent.

Hackers shouldn't be attacking a program which gives them free shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    August 2011
    442 Posts
    Begun the great war has...
    I readed that in a yoda voice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree x 15Funny x 3Dumb x 2Informative x 1Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,653 Posts
    What I'm saying is that both pirates and hackers are committing computer crimes, and they both basically COPY programs. So they are related on almost every level besides the means of getting the program. Hackers hack and jailbreak programs while pirates download it from piracy sites.

fixed, the utorrent websites downloads are completely legal, and there is no theft involved in software piracy, just copying

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,509 Posts

typical american
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 34Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,157 Posts
    I readed that in a yoda voice.
    I think that was the point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2011
    278 Posts
    fixed, the utorrent websites downloads are completely legal, and there is no theft involved in software piracy, just copying
    Corporations consider it copyright infringement, I got a song from uTorrent and I got a note from my ISP that if I download music from uTorrent again I'll be charged $1000 in fines (for one fucking song!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,623 Posts
    oh whatever

I know torrents have a legitimate purpose, in fact I probably torrented the Linux distro I am using right now. But in 95% of cases torrents are used for movies, games, and other illegal shit.

20. Post #20
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    oh whatever

I know torrents have a legitimate purpose, in fact I probably torrented the Linux distro I am using right now. But in 95% of cases torrents are used for movies, games, and other illegal shit.
    you could say the same about ftp so who cares

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,975 Posts
    What I'm saying is that both pirates and hackers are committing computer crimes, and they both basically steal programs. So they are related on almost every level besides the means of getting the program. Hackers hack and jailbreak programs while pirates download it from uTorrent.

Trust me there is a world of difference between hackers and skiddies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2007
    11,623 Posts
    I am not attacking it, or saying BitTorrent should be illegal. To just minimalize its use in piracy is foolish, however.

23. Post #23
    May 2008
    408 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 49Winner Winner x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,976 Posts
    you do realise that there are people who use the internet outside of north america, right?
    Holy shit, there are people out there??
    It must be harsh not living in the north american utopia ):
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,372 Posts
    I was trying to download uTorrent today but the download link would not load

26. Post #26
    June 2011
    8,631 Posts

Man, I wish all 8 people that rated my post got the joke, instead of just 4 of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    Man, I wish all 8 people that rated my post got the joke, instead of just 4 of them.
    man I sure wish you wouldn't backpedal on your stupid post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    June 2011
    8,631 Posts
    man I sure wish you wouldn't backpedal on your stupid post
    It wasn't back pedaling, it was a joke, if I was serious I would have posted earlier with something stupid like "I had hope people outside America didn't pirate things".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,509 Posts
    your post just seems stupid and not sarcastic in the slightest

I'm a blunt person

30. Post #30
    June 2011
    8,631 Posts
    your post just seems stupid and not sarcastic in the slightest

I'm a blunt person
    It's kinda hard to catch on to something sarcastic when it's just text.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    November 2007
    11,623 Posts

Problem solved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    June 2011
    8,631 Posts

Problem solved
    I'm pretty sure barely anyone knows that thing exists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9 (list)

33. Post #33
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,697 Posts
    I'm pretty sure barely anyone knows that thing exists.
    I don't have my glasses on. What is that? Debian?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    November 2007
    11,623 Posts
    On here, people do. I think.

I meant that post somewhat sarcastically.

Edited:

I don't have my glasses on. What is that? Debian?
    ahahaa winner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Mega Raffler
    September 2010
    2,999 Posts
    that clock says 3am
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 12Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2008
    408 Posts
    that clock says 3am
    Yeah, I couldn't be arsed to edit a few pixels.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,657 Posts
    Ha I bet it was corporations...

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,914 Posts
    Practically speaking, yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Oh dear, I was planning on downloading utorrent yesterday aswell

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Worst Member
    July 2009
    7,919 Posts
    Oh gosh, I really hope the program didn't update itself to the infected version or anything. If that's even possible in the first place.

Edited:

welp, bad reading, looks like I'm safe since I originally downloaded it like years ago.