1. Post #1
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...usaolp00000009

Turns out there are parents in the news who do the right thing. Jennifer and John of Ohio have a transgender 10-year-old child, and they support Jackie's decision to live life as a girl.

Since she was 18-months-old, "it was always dancing, dress-up, " says her mother Jennifer. Jackie loved the color pink and wearing ballerina outfits. She wanted sparkles and pretty shoes.

So when Jackie was about two-years-old, Jennifer started looking on the Internet, she tells "Good Morning America." That's when she first learned about transgender and started to wonder.

Jackie's sister, Sagan, was the first to ask if she really wanted to be a girl. "Yeah," she told her sister.

And when Jackie was just ten years old, she went to her mom, crying. "I'm a girl and I can't do this anymore," Jackie said. Without hesitation, Jennifer said, "It's gonna be okay." There was no judgment or disappointment.

Jackie's family abandoned the pronoun "he." At first, they only let her wear girls clothing at home, but eventually allowed her to live as a girl full-time, at school and elsewhere. When asked, Jackie's father John says he has two daughters.

But, not everyone in the family has been as accepting as Jackie's parents. Her grandfather is resistant. "I can not accept that a nine or ten-year-old can make decisions for himself that will be life lasting," he tells GMA.

Although Jackie's parents worry about the future -- things like puberty and how Jackie might be treated later in life at work -- for now, they are focused on her happiness. When Jackie looks in the mirror, all she sees is "a girl that's a person," she says.
    Not sure how I feel about this. I lean more towards supporting it, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 100Optimistic x 19Winner x 7Dumb x 6Funny x 5Agree x 2Late x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    /////////
    April 2011
    5,935 Posts
    Transgender ops shouldnt be legal until age 18.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 190Disagree x 29Dumb x 5Funny x 2Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    That was what I was disagreeing with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2010
    229 Posts
    Hm. This is going to end badly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 40Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,214 Posts
    How do you even know what your sexuality is at 10 years old?

He should be busy not pissing the bed and eating candy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree x 106Dumb x 21Funny x 2Informative x 1Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

Some people are born in the wrong body I guess. Sex has nothing to do with it. You like what you like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 61Agree Agree x 27Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    It's good that people with gender identity disorder can find happiness. I don't see how anyone could object to this and keep a clean conscience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 56Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    pdp
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,173 Posts

wtf

this has nothing to do with sexuality

and they're 10, not 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 47Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,675 Posts
    -snip- , for some reason emoticons are broken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    It's good that people with gender identity disorder can find happiness. I don't see how anyone could object to this and keep a clean conscience.
    Conservatives disagree with happyness. They say you have to do what society says.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 32Dumb x 5Funny x 2Zing x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2011
    610 Posts
    So when Jackie was about two-years-old, Jennifer started looking on the Internet, she tells "Good Morning America." That's when she first learned about transgender and started to wonder.
    missread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    March 2011
    1,422 Posts
    Some people are born in the wrong body I guess
    ---~~~"""im a girl trapped in a guy's body"""~~~---

i hate hearing that, it's just, ugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree x 86Dumb x 17Disagree x 1Funny x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,626 Posts
    Some people are born in the wrong body I guess. Sex has nothing to do with it. You like what you like.
    You are not near knowing who you are at the age of 10, this seems wrong.
    I'm not against these kinds of operations at all by the way, who was it? Chers daughter? Who after becoming an adult decided she wanted to be a man and she did? He did? She did? Whatever.
    Still, I really don't know what to think.
    EDIT:
    Oh wait, I thought this was a full out operation, not just his choice in what to wear, its unorthodox but good for him, if he's happy like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

14. Post #14
    March 2011
    1,422 Posts
    I couldn't formulate proper sentences when I was 2, I doubt she was on the internet

did you even read it

her mother did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 22Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,104 Posts
    Good for her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 49Funny x 11Agree x 6Optimistic x 3Dumb x 3Friendly x 2Disagree x 2Informative x 1Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    pdp
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,173 Posts
    -snIP-

17. Post #17
    You are not near knowing who you are at the age of 10, this seems wrong.
    I'm not against these kinds of operations at all by the way, who was it? Chers daughter? Who after becoming an adult decided she wanted to be a man and she did? He did? She did? Whatever.
    Still, I really don't know what to think.
    Yeah maybe, generally speaking, but some kids are smarter and more adept than others.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,131 Posts
    Obligatory

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 50Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    That's bullshit. Nobody is born in the wrong body. Transgenderism is a neural defect, and shouldn't be addressed radically by surgery or medical therapy until emotional and mental maturity is reached. Somebody suffering at 10 may come to terms with it by 20. If an operation is done before that point, then a lot of money and time could have been wasted and a lot of pain and suffering could have been avoided for patient and family.

However, if, by the time of psychological maturity, the boy or girl is set on choosing the operation, then go for it. It's therapeutic and if it helps them be happy in life, there should be no law against it.

That's why I'm a little disturbed by this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 59Informative Informative x 8Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    pdp
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,173 Posts
    wtf

this has nothing to do with sexuality

and they're 10, not 5
    why are people rating me dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Funny Funny x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    June 2011
    610 Posts
    did you even read it

her mother did.
    oh okay, but still hes 10. He hasnt even hit puberty. He was probably brought up this way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    That's bullshit. Nobody is born in the wrong body. Transgenderism is a neural defect, and shouldn't be addressed until emotional and mental maturity is reached. Somebody suffering at 10 may come to terms with it by 20. If an operation is done before that point, then a lot of money and time could have been wasted and a lot of pain and suffering could have been avoided for patient and family.

However, if, by the time of psychological maturity, the boy or girl is set on choosing the operation, then go for it. It's therapeutic and if it helps them be happy in life, there should be no law against it.

Fine, testosterone/estrogen issue then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,214 Posts
    How would she even UNDERSTAND being transsexual at age 2 anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Agree Agree x 9 (list)

24. Post #24
    oh okay, but still hes 10. He hasnt even hit puberty. He was probably brought up this way
    Doubt it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2011
    1,206 Posts
    What thef fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 10Dumb x 4Informative x 2Zing x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    pdp
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,173 Posts
    People can't think rationally until age 18.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 28Agree x 8Disagree x 3Zing x 1Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,264 Posts
    ---~~~"""im a girl trapped in a guy's body"""~~~---

i hate hearing that, it's just, ugh.
    Except transgenderism is a real psychological disorder and you're basing this off stereotypes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    People can't think rationally until age 18.
    Yep at age 18, you instantly become smarter.

And in America, at 21, you make rational decisions about drinking.

...so they say.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,264 Posts
    That's bullshit. Nobody is born in the wrong body. Transgenderism is a neural defect, and shouldn't be addressed radically by surgery or medical therapy until emotional and mental maturity is reached. Somebody suffering at 10 may come to terms with it by 20. If an operation is done before that point, then a lot of money and time could have been wasted and a lot of pain and suffering could have been avoided for patient and family.

It's not a defect, it's a condition. And getting surgery done before or during early to mid puberty yields much better results.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Informative Informative x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    June 2011
    1,470 Posts
    Doubt it.
    It's kind of hard being able to "naturally" identify yourself with a gender when you barely have any sex hormones pumping through your system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,837 Posts

I had crushes on girls back then. Then again I still do today.

Edited:

Are you implying something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,999 Posts
    Liking pink, ballerina outfits, sparkles, and pretty shoes aren't genetic traits, they're cultural. What kids like is determined by what they're raised on. Raise a boy to play with dolls and a girl to play with guns, and you'll end up with kids with non-traditional interests. That they give those things as reasons why this kid is obviously transgendered is a little bit alarming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 49Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,229 Posts
    He's still a guy, no one can truly be changed to another gender.

Just my pet peeve, since they are still biologically their original gender.

And this person might regret it later. 10 is way to early for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Agree Agree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    pdp
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,173 Posts
    Liking pink, ballerina outfits, sparkles, and pretty shoes aren't genetic traits, they're cultural. What kids like is determined by what they're raised on. Raise a boy to play with dolls and a girl to play with guns, and you'll end up with kids with non-traditional interests. That they give those things as reasons why this kid is obviously transgendered is a little bit alarming.
    So you're saying this kid was raised into transgenderism?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts

She didn't have the operation yet, this is just the starting out phase where you take hormones and dress differently. As you've just said, psych evaluation and what not has to be done before an actual operation.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,140 Posts
    Obligatory

Jim Petras
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Wam
    July 2011
    254 Posts
    Liking certain colours and liking doing certain things is nothing to do with his gender identity.
    We only think pink is a girl colour because our culture tells us it is, for all we know, he just finds it aesthetically pleasing, theres nothing 'girly' about it.

Telling him he's a girl because he finds certain colours and clothing aesthetically pleasing is absolutely retarded, and is going to fuck this kid, who is probably perfectly fine with being a guy, its just his parents go 'you like pink and dolls? YOU MUST BE A GIRL INSIDE'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 31Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    He's still a guy, no one can truly be changed to another gender.

Just my pet peeve, since they are still biologically their original gender.

And this person might regret it later. 10 is way to early for this.
    Okay, for one: Continuing to refer to them as their original gender is incredibly disrespectful. For two: she hasn't gotten an operation yet, read the article.

Edited:

Liking certain colours and liking doing certain things is nothing to do with his gender identity.
    We only think pink is a girl colour because our culture tells us it is, for all we know, he just finds it aesthetically pleasing, theres nothing 'girly' about it.
    Gender identity disorder is more complex than "liking 'girl' things".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

39. Post #39
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    A ten year old? That's a little soon for a psychological problem to be fully looked at for the boy in the OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    It's not a defect, it's a condition. And getting surgery done before or during early to mid puberty yields much better results.
    But it is a defect, in the same way that depression or OCD is a defect. It's a neurological defect that causes a psychological condition. It doesn't seem right to subject a 10 year old to hormone therapy and radical sex change surgeries, that are both costly and immensely exhausting- taking possibly years to fully complete.

What should be done, is counseling. There are psychologists trained, specifically, in treating transgender or gender-concerned individuals. That should be done, treatment to help the person along.

Sex change operations should be the last resort, not the first. If somebody is uncomfortable with their body, they should be helped to come to terms with that before they go off doing something very, very invasive. However, if, in the end, it winds up that they just can't help them and a surgery is all that remains, than so be it. If they are willing and it can be done safely, then there's no reason it shouldn't be done...but only after every contingency is exhausted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)