1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    I've decided on the next class to make and did some sketching for design ideas last night. I referenced a lot of women factory workers from the mid century, of which Rosie the Riveter imagery is easily recognizable for most people. The vibe I'm aiming for is sort of a "Lucille Ball's cousin from Texas cosplaying as Rosie the Riveter" vibe.

There's a lot of factors and problems I have to consider before I settle on a final look, but I think this is a good start. Some of the issues that I want to be careful of:

- how the hair works underneath if the scarf replaces the hardhat
    - if I go with a jumpsuit, will the Engineer attachments, if posture and animations will help distinguish from similarities to Pyro, and how to minimize them (I think it can be done if done carefully)
    - how to make her body look balanced and natural as possible with gigantic tree trunk man arms/hands
    - how important goggles are to the character, if they're necessary or simply visual clutter that doesn't add to this particular version of the character
    - how to avoid looking Soviet

Also, I'm gonna go high to low poly with zbrush like a real character artist this time, lol. I'm gonna force myself to finally get comfortable with that program.

Some references:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 111Artistic x 6Disagree x 5Friendly x 3Funny x 2Agree x 2Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,696 Posts
    I'm eager to see how this will end :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,362 Posts
    Seems nice so far.

4. Post #4
    May 2010
    900 Posts
    I can't wait to have a complete female team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    15,952 Posts
    This should be good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,244 Posts
    I have a feeling this will end great.

7. Post #7
    September 2009
    1,269 Posts
    Amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member

August 2010
    5,708 Posts
    Oh god yes

9. Post #9
    August 2010
    1,137 Posts
    Looking forward to this.

10. Post #10
    November 2010
    1,244 Posts
    If you go with the jumpsuit, you need to draw attension, somehow to the torso and not the legs. Tf2's character design is made so you always have your attension drawn to the torso, which is where the guns are. Use darker colours for the legs, it should work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    849 Posts
    I agree with above post even if not for the same reason (attention grabber - what?), the second sketch is too similiar to the colourpallette and sillhouette of the pyro (legs to waist look almost exactly the same *hurrdurrpyrosafemale*).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dancing Member
    July 2009
    2,754 Posts
    Yes, yes yes yes.

But if you're going to get someone to do a voice over, please choose someone who can voice over.
    Not like that female Medic...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    April 2011
    20 Posts
    Oh, nice!

14. Post #14
    ~buttslut~
    September 2008
    5,855 Posts
    Yes, yes yes yes.

But if you're going to get someone to do a voice over, please choose someone who can voice over.
    Not like that female Medic...
    I believe the same person who voiced the medic also voiced the spy, infact i think all the female versions are the same voice actor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2010
    1,244 Posts
    I believe the same person who voiced the medic also voiced the spy, infact i think all the female versions are the same voice actor.
    Dustyoldroses did the spy. Two other people did the medic and heavy. The scout isnt alias, and is voiced by someone else, who is also pretty bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    I might be a Vampire Queen
    July 2009
    1,707 Posts
    Alia, you make the best stuffs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,729 Posts
    My body is ready.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    I'm expecting a fantastic job, like your other models.

19. Post #19
    October 2009
    9,307 Posts
    Spy was done by DustyOldRoses.
    Dunno about the Medic, though.

20. Post #20
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,415 Posts
    Well Alia, I expect great things in this new stage of the project. Let's hope you find a mighty-fine voice actor for Femgineer, 'cause a suitable voice is a very important component of any character.

Also, try making a version with goggles and a version without.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,724 Posts
    Alia. You're a fucking goddess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    I'll donate $1,000 to a site that's based around chance but not $1 to a site that provides a community service :C
    February 2007
    33,050 Posts
    It begins!

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,628 Posts
    Ending result will be neat.

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    August 2011
    317 Posts
    This will surely beat the crap out of this atrociousness http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/62031.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2010
    1,514 Posts
    Please stop.
    Every time you make something phenomenal it reminds me that TF2 hates me and will crash every eight to thirteen minutes should I try to use it.
    8'(

PS: She needs bright auburn hair, all the good femgies I see (pin ups and whatnot) have red hair and it works like a charm on engies for some reason.

PPS: What'll you do for the Dome Shine?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    Ginger gizzard amateur~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,135 Posts
    This will surely beat the crap out of this atrociousness http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/62031.
    It can only be better. Not only do chemicalallia's female classes, unlike this one, are voiced, but also because that one doesn't look like it belongs in TF2 for some reasons (one of them being that dumb pin on her belly)

27. Post #27
    February 2010
    1,186 Posts
    the jumpsuit looks cool. I'm up to this idea.
    dunno If changing the hardhat would looks good, but it's difficult to say without seen the options.
    but I would support the use of the goggles.

question: is my rough sketch of a female engineer is of any help on doing this character?

think on this but a little chubbier...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28

September 2009
    3,264 Posts
    the jumpsuit looks cool. I'm up to this idea.
    dunno If changing the hardhat would looks good, but it's difficult to say without seen the options.
    but I would support the use of the goggles.

question: is my rough sketch of a female engineer is of any help on doing this character?

think on this but a little chubbier...
    Why does it have 2 pairs of goggles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    February 2010
    1,186 Posts
    Why does it have 2 pairs of goggles
    spares.

no, really, it's just a sketch with visual options.

30. Post #30
    July 2011
    951 Posts
    like I think I posted in the femspy thread, I think this looks pretty cool. definately gonna download once it comes in .zip format/I learn how to install .rar files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,601 Posts
    PPS: What'll you do for the Dome Shine?
    Removal of the default hat bodygroup.

What I'm more interested in is how she'll make the Mining Light and Industrial Festivizer work since they are only attachments to the Engineer's hardhat.

Big Country will be interesting

And if she lacks the Engineer's belt "pockets" and extension cord, then the Teddy Roosebelt and Wingstick will look wrong floating there.

Googly Gazer and Dues Specs will float in front of her eyes if she lacks goggles, I believe the same will happen with all other eyewear.

Just listing some cosmetics that might want to be taken into consideration while the character is still in the preliminary design stages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,423 Posts
    holy shit, 132 people reading this and only 31 posts

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    Removal of the default hat bodygroup.

What I'm more interested in is how she'll make the Mining Light and Industrial Festivizer work since they are only attachments to the Engineer's hardhat.

Big Country will be interesting

And if she lacks the Engineer's belt "pockets" and extension cord, then the Teddy Roosebelt and Wingstick will look wrong floating there.

Googly Gazer and Dues Specs will float in front of her eyes if she lacks goggles, I believe the same will happen with all other eyewear.

Just listing some cosmetics that might want to be taken into consideration while the character is still in the preliminary design stages.
    I'll end up having to make up some other kind of item for whichever items don't have the attachment points. Stuff like pockets I'll probably just make sure are in the final design.

But yeah, it's a lot easier to come up with workarounds for things AFTER they came out rather than before.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,032 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing this done. You've got skills Alia!

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    2,039 Posts
    Dis gon b gud.

36. Post #36

August 2011
    360 Posts
    I wonder once all female class models are done, will you pose them like the big team photo at the end of each Meet the Team video?

37. Post #37

August 2011
    4 Posts
    Well I've been working on a female Engineer voice pack. I'm going to redo them and make them a bit more crisp in Audacity, but for now I thought you might want to take a look and see if you like it.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?htnrp9d9hic52zr

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    2,193 Posts
    I don't think that the second idea (a unique overall) will do it. TF2 have a very strong base about class identification with the interiors colors & sharpes. I think (and i repeat, I think) it would be better to keep the originals clothes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    Japanese Cerberus
    Dennab
    August 2011
    8,076 Posts
    I don't really like your sketch engie's face, but otherwise amazing work like always.
    I assume that you get a soundpack out as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,423 Posts
    Well I've been working on a female Engineer voice pack. I'm going to redo them and make them a bit more crisp in Audacity, but for now I thought you might want to take a look and see if you like it.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?htnrp9d9hic52zr
    lol, one of the soundfiles was "NOPE"