I've decided on the next class to make and did some sketching for design ideas last night. I referenced a lot of women factory workers from the mid century, of which Rosie the Riveter imagery is easily recognizable for most people. The vibe I'm aiming for is sort of a "Lucille Ball's cousin from Texas cosplaying as Rosie the Riveter" vibe.
There's a lot of factors and problems I have to consider before I settle on a final look, but I think this is a good start. Some of the issues that I want to be careful of:
- how the hair works underneath if the scarf replaces the hardhat
- if I go with a jumpsuit, will the Engineer attachments, if posture and animations will help distinguish from similarities to Pyro, and how to minimize them (I think it can be done if done carefully)
- how to make her body look balanced and natural as possible with gigantic tree trunk man arms/hands
- how important goggles are to the character, if they're necessary or simply visual clutter that doesn't add to this particular version of the character
- how to avoid looking Soviet
Also, I'm gonna go high to low poly with zbrush like a real character artist this time, lol. I'm gonna force myself to finally get comfortable with that program.