1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,616 Posts
    European gamers hoping to enjoy a bit of Wolfenstein Classic on their iDevices will have to find another way to pass the time, as both Switzerland and Austria remove the oldschool shooter from sale.

It’s nothing really new or surprising that’s caused offense, as id Software‘s John Carmack explains via Twitter:

The iOS App Stores in Switzerland and Austria just lost Wolfenstein Classic due to the offensive swastikas

The swastikas and other pesky political imagery form a significant part of the Wolfenstein Classic mythos, which sees gamers storming a Nazi stronghold. The game itself is merely an iOS port of older-than-old-school first-person shooter Wolfenstein 3-D, which revolutionised the first-person genre way back in the early 90s. It’s not the first time that the Wolfenstein franchise has run into trouble for its graphics, either – Wolfenstein 3-D was modified for its 1994 Super Nintendo port, with all swastikas removed, and savage guard dogs replaced with sewer rats. You’d think they’d learn, but at the same time, how will you know what you can get away with if you’re always playing it safe?

http://www.gamepron.com/news/2011/08...opean-iphones/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 91Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2010
    9,221 Posts
    I hate it when they ban swastikas in a fucking WW2 game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 144 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2011
    892 Posts
    Hey guise hur dur it has swastikas hur dur promotes Nazism it has Hitler that dies in a hilarious fashion promots violehnce DUR!!!

Seriously.
    These people...
    Ugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 36 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,668 Posts
    Some historical games have racial comments about blacks, and other races, yet I never saw an article about that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,560 Posts
    BULL-FUCKING-SHIT

God damn it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,146 Posts
    Why do they always ban the swastika? It's a fact of history that the nazi's existed, get over it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 69 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,560 Posts
    Wait, isn't it banned in Germany as well?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,853 Posts
    Germany, exaggerating their own created problems since 1939.

And I do say Germany, though the article says Switzerland and Austria, because I feel the Germans WILL follow suit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2010
    4,342 Posts
    My mind can not even start to correlate with their "logic" of this. It's impossbile, so when they do things like this I have an internal shut down.

10. Post #10
    I AM A PUTRID FUCK WHO CHASES AFTER PEOPLE'S VANS, SCARES GIRLS, FELL FOR A RANDOM FUCK ON THE INTERNET WHO I'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN, AND SHOVED RUSTY NAILS DOWN MY COCK FOR THEM.
    July 2008
    4,193 Posts
    Wolfenstein teaches kids that Nazis are evil.

Discrimination against all Germans!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2010
    652 Posts
    "both Switzerland and Austria" =/= "Europe".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 59 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,107 Posts
    Time to ban the teaching of WWII from all history books. Those damn swastikas will corrupt our youth!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,693 Posts
    As I understand it all Nazi related imagery in video games in Germany is banned, while film however is not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    3,814 Posts
    I find it funny that the Swastika is banned but the Hammer and Sickle isn't, these people who ban it are idiots, it's history you don't just try to hide it and forget about it.

Time to ban the teaching of WWII from all history books. Those damn swastikas will corrupt our youth!
    It wouldn't even matter if they did, in North America at least (I don't know if it's different in Europe) the way WW2 is taught is a joke 90% of the time, it's disgusting really how not a lot of people aren't properly educated on WW2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,107 Posts
    It wouldn't even matter if they did, in North America at least (I don't know if it's different in Europe) the way WW2 is taught is a joke 90% of the time, it's disgusting really how not a lot of people aren't properly educated on WW2.
    I always hated that WWII only took up about 2 days in school. They only really tell us about D-Day and the Battle of Midway, and hardly get into the politics or anything pre-1941 except the invasion of Poland. Because of this I ended up reading just about any WWII literature I could get my hands on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,179 Posts
    Some historical games have racial comments about blacks, and other races, yet I never saw an article about that.
    Because this is about jews.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,855 Posts
    The nazis helped Finland fend off Russia. Hitler visited Commander in Chief Mannerheim on his birthday

Then they kinda burned down Lapland after some misunderstanding and were driven off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,759 Posts
    I played that game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,853 Posts
    I always hated that WWII only took up about 2 days in school. They only really tell us about D-Day and the Battle of Midway, and hardly get into the politics or anything pre-1941 except the invasion of Poland. Because of this I ended up reading just about any WWII literature I could get my hands on.
    From my school books I learned that the rise of Hitler was in part due to the unfair Treaty of Versaille(sp?), and that anger lead the majority of people in Germany to support Hitler and his party. He brought back strength to a weak country, both militarily and economically. Just his mad quest for more "living space" as he called it in German was the spark of WW2. Had the British and French told the Germans to knock the landgrab shit off with just the Rhineland, we probably wouldn't have a WW2 then as even Hitler said he'd quit if that had happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

20. Post #20
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    14,944 Posts
    Fuck off apple, dumped my iPhone in a lake long ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Winner Winner x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,679 Posts
    Fuck off apple, dumped my iPhone in a lake long ago.
    ~2cool4apple~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 14Useful Useful x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    February 2010
    1,876 Posts
    From my school books I learned that the rise of Hitler was in part due to the unfair Treaty of Versaille(sp?), and that anger lead the majority of people in Germany to support Hitler and his party. He brought back strength to a weak country, both militarily and economically. Just his mad quest for more "living space" as he called it in German was the spark of WW2. Had the British and French told the Germans to knock the landgrab shit off with just the Rhineland, we probably wouldn't have a WW2 then as even Hitler said he'd quit if that had happened.
    It's just like Civilization the game!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    I'm a very kind and awesome person!
    June 2010
    11,103 Posts
    Wait, isn't it banned in Germany as well?
    Sadly yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,099 Posts
    Countries trying to cover history only because "they did bad things"
    Wolfenstein was banned in Germany since it came out anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Wow, decades later and it's still somehow a controversial game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,787 Posts
    People are too easily offended nowadays.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2011
    2,651 Posts
    Oh no, nazis!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,179 Posts
    People are too easily offended nowadays.
    im sure games like this would have been appreciated a lot more 200 years ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,245 Posts
    Hell, I went to a play in fourth grade and they said the N-word like twice in 5 seconds and nobody gave a shit

30. Post #30
    February 2010
    9,221 Posts
    Countries trying to cover history only because "they did bad things"
    Wolfenstein was banned in Germany since it came out anyway.
    I can't understand that. Do they want to ban swastikas because they think kids become nazis because of them?

Because everybody knows that Hitler played lots of violent videogames that had swastikas in them when he was a kid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    September 2010
    4,148 Posts
    As I understand it all Nazi related imagery in video games in Germany is banned, while film however is not.
    It's allowed in art, or what is considered art, like paintings and films.

Not in video games, really tells you something about our politicans
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,024 Posts
    Can't have SWASTIKAS in my ultra-violent murder simulator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    PLAY IT LOUD!!!
    February 2010
    2,875 Posts
    Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,700 Posts
    Above user has an incredibly hot avatar.

This is retarded. I'd understand if the game was about killing black people, then I can imagine you'd be offended. For fucks sake it's not even unique for germany

"Swastikas have also been used in other various ancient civilizations around the world. It remains widely used in Indian Religions, specifically in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism, primarily as a sacred symbol of good luck."

Yeah it's a symbol of good luck. Let's start banning middle fingers from people because they can be offensive too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    September 2009
    3,036 Posts
    Shitty port anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    April 2010
    2,224 Posts
    I saw a swastika in a game now i want to go out and murder a load of innocent civilians because i cant think for myself. Also i find swastikas offensive and they make me so angry i want to devour young children. Thank god this game was banned off the european iphones because otherwise i dont know how my tiny sensitive mind would have coped otherwise
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    The only people that still are offended by swastikas and shit are like 80 years old.

Goddamnit Grandma
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,645 Posts
    Wolfenstein teaches kids that Nazis are evil.

Discrimination against all Germans!
    Unfortunately they can't see to tell the difference

39. Post #39
    July 2009
    5,899 Posts
    Anyone else read that as 'too expensive'?

40. Post #40
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Austria: "VHAT IST NAZI? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ZHAT! HITLER? THERE IST NOBODY VIT DAT NAME HERE AND THERE NEVER VAS! I THINK YOU HAVE ZE WRONG COUNTRY ANSCHLUSS? NEVER HEARD OF HIM!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 1 (list)