1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,699 Posts
    FACEBOOK'S famous "Like" button has been declared illegal under Germany's strict privacy laws by data protection officials.

The north Germany state of Schleswig-Holstein demanded that dozens of websites that carry the button linking to the social networking site remove the offending item by the end of September or face a fine of up to 50,000 ($US71,935), The Local reported today.

Thilo Weichert, of the state's data protection center, said the application allowed Facebook to illegally piece together a profile of web users' habits.

"Facebook can trace every click on a website, how long I'm on it, what I'm interested in," he said.

Palo Alto, California-based Facebook rejected Mr Weichart's claim and said that the plug-ins were in full compliance with European laws.
    http://www.news.com.au/technology/fa...-1226118750544
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny x 218Winner x 23Dumb x 4Agree x 2Friendly x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    #420 PRAISE IT
    May 2010
    6,496 Posts
    What.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Hup, 2, 3, 4
    October 2009
    1,455 Posts
    Oh Germany
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    11,574 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    February 2009
    1,909 Posts
    NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 228Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    I don't get it, first of all yeah they can make out peoples habits, but isn't that the reason why people like specific things, to show others?

And what is the problem with that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2011
    752 Posts

news.com has a recommend button. Sneaky sneaky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 294Zing Zing x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,484 Posts
    I thought the point of "liking" something was to show everyone what you're interested in and your habits...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 45 (list)

9. Post #9
    May 2009
    2,853 Posts
    Oh lawd finally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,957 Posts
    Holy fuck what? So you can't like anything in Germany now, and if you do, you face a fine of €50,000?

Woah.
    No, websites that have a like-button will face a fine of €50,000.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    11,574 Posts
    No, websites that have a like-button will face a fine of €50,000.
    Yeah that's what I meant, must've worded that badly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2009
    1,099 Posts
    This is brilliant. A country actually taking a stand for web privacy and user rights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 55Dumb Dumb x 16Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,373 Posts
    there is a simple solution to this

don't click the button
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 42Zing Zing x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,374 Posts
    What about German 'like' pages?

Edited:

Like Crytek
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bahrain Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,952 Posts
    this is silly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    And then Germany understands nothing about the Internet

...Again.

I support privacy on the internet, but when you click 'Like', you're intending to let other people know you like it. It's not supposed to be private in any way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 59Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    It's not about german websites, but websites under german jurisdiction, aka that are hosted there.

And germany had for some time already several laws about privacy.

Edited:

And then Germany understands nothing about the Internet

...Again.

I support privacy on the internet, but when you click 'Like', you're intending to let other people know you like it. It's not supposed to be private in any way.
    Even if you are not on Facebook, an IFrame on a website allows Facebook to track what you are doing, wether you want to like said page or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Informative Informative x 13Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,816 Posts
    When they put a "Like" button there, they expect you to know that you're gonna show that you liked the page to all of your friends. It's doesn't have anything to do with invading your privacy.

19. Post #19
    Jsm
    "Belgium is pretty much a non-country"
    June 2006
    8,017 Posts
    I don't get it, first of all yeah they can make out peoples habits, but isn't that the reason why people like specific things, to show others?

And what is the problem with that?
    It tracks you visiting the page even if you don't like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Being Nice to people gave me this shitty title
    April 2011
    1,610 Posts
    Plattack likes this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #21

I like this joke, its very funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    7,506 Posts
    When they put a "Like" button there, they expect you to know that you're gonna show that you liked the page to all of your friends. It's doesn't have anything to do with invading your privacy.
    The frame that the like button is in can track everything you do, even if you don't click it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,017 Posts
    The frame that the like button is in can track everything you do, even if you don't click it.
    Which is kinda the whole purpose of it, people don't seem to get this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    Looks like Germany is going back to fascism.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 41Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    kwk
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    2,010 Posts
    A couple of pixels...ILLEGAL!

I just liked a friend's status...
    FICK DIE POLIZEI
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 41Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,699 Posts
    This will probably be turned into one of those hitler sences from the movie "downfall"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Late Late x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,086 Posts
    We should get rid of Schleswig-Holstein, nothing good comes from there anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,596 Posts
    You live in America. You wouldn't know what it's like to have your government look out for your privacy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 42Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,820 Posts
    *snip*
    Edited:
    Even if you are not on Facebook, an IFrame on a website allows Facebook to track what you are doing, wether you want to like said page or not.
    You cannot access the contents of a iframe's parent. However, commander is right in that facebook will know your IP and what api-key was used when you visit the page (but not referrer information from the parent page).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,824 Posts
    WUNDERBAR.

31. Post #31

this is an unlawful post as declared by the city of pittsburgh chief police.
    immediately disperse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    207 Posts
    Putting the law into good use.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    The whole thought behind this, though the action seems wierd, is for the liberty of people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,256 Posts
    That's fucking retarded, when I like something, it means I want people to know I like it and it also changes the little advertisements on the side according to what I like, which is really really useful as both an advertiser and a consumer.

35. Post #35
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,017 Posts
    That's fucking retarded, when I like something, it means I want people to know I like it and it also changes the little advertisements on the side according to what I like, which is really really useful as both an advertiser and a consumer.
    It tracks you if you don't like something. Its how the entire system is designed to work, liking something is just a public notification that you have been on the site. Facebook still track that you have been to that site and use it to build up a picture of you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,256 Posts
    It tracks you if you don't like something. Its how the entire system is designed to work, liking something is just a public notification that you have been on the site. Facebook still track that you have been to that site and use it to build up a picture of you.
    Oh I see. Yeah, that is pretty bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,017 Posts
    Oh I see. Yeah, that is pretty bad.
    It works in the same way that Google does it with ads, but they don't try to hide it. Its quite clear that an ad tracks what you do.

38. Post #38
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,189 Posts
    It works in the same way that Google does it with ads, but they don't try to hide it. Its quite clear that an ad tracks what you do.
    Google also has a webpage where you can go and check what it's figured out about you and remove stuff you don't want there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    They track which sites you have visited with a facebook like button. And probably use it to add specific types of advertisements to your profile page. AKA, target you for specific ads which is probably illegal in Germany. I support this as Germany is the first country to actually do something about user privacy.

40. Post #40
    Jsm
    June 2006
    8,017 Posts
    Google also has a webpage where you can go and check what it's figured out about you and remove stuff you don't want there.
    And you can opt out really easily, to opt out of facebook's tracking you have to basically block facebook from your PC.

Edited:

They track which sites you have visited with a facebook like button. And probably use it to add specific types of advertisements to your profile page. AKA, target you for specific ads which is probably illegal in Germany. I support this as Germany is the first country to actually do something about user privacy.
    It might be related to the EU law regarding third party cookies. It is technically illegal for a site in the EU to set non site crucial cookies now.