1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    First of all, this is NOT an ideas guy thread. I am fully capable of designing and realizing the maps, story and soundtrack, but need help on some other aspects.

Let this soundtrack I made for map 2 set the tone for the rest of this post.

A while ago, I released two experimental psychological horror maps for Episode Two. They were met with positive reactions from players, who urged me to expand Eawan's storyline into a single player EP2 mod.

Map 1 and its bundled text file.

Map 2 and its bundled text file.

The backstory:
    From the day she was born, Iris Eawan was a troublesome person. Born with a severe emotional handicap, she has always been incapable of feeling remorse and empathy, and lived a life in which she distanced herself from others to protect her weak self. Incapable of understanding the impact of her actions on others, Iris simply acted upon violent and sexual urges, if only to feel empowered and in control of herself and others. In her own eyes, she gradually became a stronger and better person. To the rest of the world, she was a psychopath.

After the brutal rape of a young girl, Iris was convicted and taken to Roland Asylum, not so much an institution for the treatment and aid of the mentally ill as a dumping ground for the most twisted and wretched of human beings.

For nearly two decades, Iris has been rotting in her cramped cell in the Asylum. She cares even less for the world than she already did- she spends her days living in a fantasy world, a world of demons and empires, where she hides from the harsh reality she chooses to blur into a dream and a lie.

And suddenly, something changes. A frighteningly alien feeling overwhelms Iris. She begins to think about the things she'd done- from the violence and abuse she inflicted upon her old classmates, to the day she cornered and violated young Marilyn, leaving the child scarred for life.

This is the story of a woman who had unwittingly lived a life of sin, and must now confront her own horrid deeds if she wishes to uphold the little sanity she has.

This is the story of Iris Eawan, who, at last, becomes truly human.

tl;dr: Crazy child-raping chick feels remorse for the first time, undergoes a psychological self-analysis and trips balls as she tries to understand what remorse exactly is.

Gameplay of Eawan revolves around the exploration of a series of surreal maps, and the piecing together of the rest of the story through hints scattered throughout these maps.
    There is no combat, however in some maps Iris must evade manifestations of her sins and insanity. The story is divided into four acts; Birth, Rise, Fall and Rebirth. The maps feature both locations from Iris' life and nonexistent structures of her fantasy world's ''Kezla Empire''.

The manifestations come in two shapes:

The Guilt is an invisible entity that slowly creeps around the maps on which it appears, and makes low, distorted screaming sounds, almost ambient-like. Touching it will kill the player- however, the sounds of children (''playground memory'' from HL2) are audible when she gets too close to the Guilt, as such it serves as a warning to the player if she (somehow) did not already hear the Guilt coming. The Guilt is featured in Eawan1; the download link can be found at the top of this post.

The Prey appears as a distorted version of Marilyn, Iris' rape victim. It moves extremely slowly and clumsily, but its melee attack is an instant kill. It makes soft, almost orgasmic grunts and moans of agony that, although quiet, can give away its location to an alert player. It patrols around the maps similarily to the Guilt, but has a short player detection range (about three meters).

Screenshots from the experimental maps:

Her Majesty is a doll Iris has had and carried around since her childhood, and is all that's left of her innocence.
    In-game, it functions as a 'weapon' without attacks- the player simply carries it around, and its viewmodel is visible in the lower-right corner of the screen like most FPS weapons, the doll facing the player.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Winner x 105Funny x 8Artistic x 5Dumb x 4Optimistic x 4Friendly x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2009
    930 Posts
    Hm, the story seems interesting. I wish I could offer some kind contribution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 17Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Thank you :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,391 Posts
    Man, sounds like some pretty brutal story there, like Silence of the Lambs meets Alice in Wonderland. But what about this; the Guilt is aware that you, the guy behind the keyboard, are trying to help Eawan redeem herself, and that if it catches you it will kick you out of the map before saving, and when you load that save Eawan is worse for wear somehow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 24Friendly x 1Useful x 1Optimistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,201 Posts
    The first screenshot looks like it has the TF2 logo in it.

Must be a TF2 ARG
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 37Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Man, sounds like some pretty brutal story there, like Silence of the Lambs meets Alice in Wonderland. But what about this; the Guilt is aware that you, the guy behind the keyboard, are trying to help Eawan redeem herself, and that if it catches you it will kick you out of the map before saving, and when you load that save Eawan is worse for wear somehow.
    ''Silence of the Lambs meets Alice in Wonderland'', that's a perfect description of this story :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

7. Post #7

August 2011
    83 Posts
    breaking the fourth wall should be a goal for horror game really. after all, you want to scare the player, not the character he's playing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,524 Posts
    It's good to see a mod without a "ideas guy" for a leader, and a engaging, creative story! Though the lighting on the ceiling in http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...el-d427jv1.jpg looks a bit strange to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Updated the OP with details on the doll 'weapon'.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,614 Posts
    Is it related to FOTT ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Lithuania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2010
    1,882 Posts
    Make it so the doll has different facial emotions based on the health of the player, normal at full, sneering and devious near death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38Artistic Artistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    February 2010
    2,872 Posts
    Is it related to FOTT ?
    No.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Make it so the doll has different facial emotions based on the health of the player, normal at full, sneering and devious near death.
    Not sure if that'd be practical though, since the only two enemies both instakill the player.
    Still a good idea though.

I had an idea, earlier, where the doll's face would distort and slightly twitch if within 20 meters of a Prey, as a warning system so players won't be foolishly walking through a door only to be on the receiving end of a lead pipe to the face that came out of nowhere. No idea how that would be coded but I'm sure it's possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    7,053 Posts
    Not sure if that'd be practical though, since the only two enemies both instakill the player.
    Still a good idea though.

I had an idea, earlier, where the doll's face would distort and slightly twitch if within 20 meters of a Prey. No idea how that would be coded but I'm sure it's possible.
    A level where the doll would be posessed could be really cool, if the player developed a relationship of "you're my only friend" with her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Maybe not necessarily possession, but possibly that at certain random moments, the doll's face would distort as if Prey is nearby even if there isn't? Would make the player very paranoid... :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,817 Posts
    Oh, you made a thread for this. I wish I could help.

Maybe depending on what sort of sounds the prey makes, but probably not.

I can't wait to see what else you make for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Like I said, the Prey makes somewhat quiet, painful, yet orgasmic-sounding childlike sounds, mainly moans :D

I'll need a few idle sounds, alert sounds and attack sounds.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,976 Posts
    If there's going to be any dialogue in the game, I'd love to help out with some voice acting. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    There won't be dialogue, but still thanks :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    I like cheese...
    July 2009
    1,972 Posts
    Oh man, the music gives me the shivers, good job!

Good luck with this mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Deviantart Appreciation Station's Finest
    April 2009
    19,762 Posts
    Do you need a female for the Prey?

Cause Im looking for a voice acting experiance

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Thank you, Lionheart1066! I take pride in my soundtracks :)

Have some more <3

Do you need a female for the Prey?

Cause Im looking for a voice acting experiance
    Yes, female is actually preferred since the Prey is basically a little girl (except monstrous and creepy as shit*)

*and shit sure is creepy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Deviantart Appreciation Station's Finest
    April 2009
    19,762 Posts
    Im not sure how to portray "creepy" in a voice.

Best voice I can do (For a horror mod) is like a sick demented Pervert. Or something with a high nasal voice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,257 Posts

:q:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    "If something happens, be assured it was planned this way"
    April 2010
    1,970 Posts
    It look's great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,000 Posts
    Im not sure how to portray "creepy" in a voice.

Best voice I can do (For a horror mod) is like a sick demented Pervert. Or something with a high nasal voice.
    just moan into the mic we can do the rest from there in post production okay thanks cutie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 40Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,706 Posts
    True, but in this case it's not on a level that involves including the fact that it's a game as a story element ;)
    The Stanley Parable did the whole "you are playing a game, and we full-well know that" thing very well, and that helped excuse any shortcomings. A decent narrative can turn a mediocre game good, and a good game great, man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #29
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,817 Posts
    What can I do to help? haha I want to help!

As the scienctists in Half Life would say: "LET ME HELP YOU"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    What can I do to help? haha I want to help!

As the scienctists in Half Life would say: "LET ME HELP YOU"
    Try and find me a good modeller for the Prey :D

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,230 Posts
    That story sounds really interesting, I myself can't really contribute with anything (unless you need photos or something).

I can't wait to see how this unfolds. So best of luck to you guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,925 Posts
    Like I said when we played the maps together, I'll help in any way I can mate.

Edited:

That's Hover-thingy. Why do you make pedo faces at her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Grass Poison
    March 2010
    16,910 Posts
    were you inspired by sillent hill?

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    were you inspired by sillent hill?
    I was mainly inspired by Neon Genesis Evangelion, Eraserhead and Begotten, but a small part of the atmosphere was inspired by Silent Hill 4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,925 Posts
    Can I be the lead Tester/Ideas Guy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Michael Bay Christus
    October 2010
    7,817 Posts
    So can I!

37. Post #37
    February 2010
    2,872 Posts
    You can, but you won't!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Bulgaria Show Events Zing Zing x 11 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2011
    275 Posts
    This looks good, it is goin to be a good mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Chile Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,495 Posts
    I've tried modelling before but I'm godawful at it, so I really can't make the models myself <:3

Does anyone here model or know a good character modeller?

40. Post #40
    February 2009
    3,884 Posts
    So, its a horror story that doesn't involve 'HUR DUR ZOMBIES', and has central topics dealing with a rapist? You sir deserve a winner. Seriously, I can even think of a game or mod that even deals with rape.
    (now that I've said that people are going to give me examples. Oh well. )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)