1. Post #1
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    The tables have turned. A day after we gladly reported that console gamers would be getting this great PC feature called “server browser”, we can now report that PC gamers won’t have an in-game server browser. DICE’s Alan Kertz has confirmed that in order to switch servers, you have to exit Battlefield 3, and use Battlelog to find another server and join.
    Granted, Kertz points out that BF3 “starts up really fast”, but we can’t imagine it being more effective than having an in-game server browser, which has been the norm in PC games for decades — in fact, there’s no other game that requires you to exit in order to switch servers.
    Considering that server switching is frequent among gamers, either because of rage quitting or trying to find a better game, or something third, this could cause some annoyance. We’ll have to wait and see how it plays out (no pun intended) when Battlefield 3 is released. So far, it’s kinda disappointing news, but we’ll see how it turns out in the end.
    Console gamers now have in-game server browser, while PC gamers don’t. Oh the irony.
    Source

Why is EA trying to reduce PC sales?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 220Dumb x 24Winner x 7Optimistic x 1Late x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,478 Posts
    EA

What the fuck are you doing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 228Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    7,785 Posts
    I saw this coming a mile away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 59Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    704 Posts
    Why do I want this game less every time they reveal more info about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 210Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,276 Posts
    What the fuck. This is one of the biggest dick moves ever in modern video game history.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 187Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,019 Posts
    I already decided to not buy it because of Origin. Then I came back.

I decided again to not buy it because of the whole exclusivity fiasco. Was about to come back.

Now this. You're digging yourself a hole, EA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 136Dumb Dumb x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,766 Posts
    wait what to do something as simple as switching to a different server you have to exit the entire game

what idiot thought that up I need something to punch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 86Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,343 Posts
    Modern Warfare 3 wins. Great Job EA. First they take it off steam, hold it hostage on a EA store that only distributes games they make, force us to use the EA store application if we want to buy their games digitally, and now we get stuck with a shitty server browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 127Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    June 2009
    3,288 Posts
    That's silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

10. Post #10

July 2011
    218 Posts
    What happened to dice getting back to their pc gamer roots?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 96Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,863 Posts
    Hey, EA, why don't you rip off a useful feature from steam and add it to origin. Like, oh I don't know, THE ABILITY TO HAVE THE SAME FUCKING SERVER BROWSER BOTH IN AND OUT OF GAME.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 53 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2008
    518 Posts
    The fuck EA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

13. Post #13

August 2011
    5,969 Posts
    -snip, momentary lapse of brain-

Eh, I still think EA just doesn't want to bother with PC. It's, after all, much easier to sell to the larger crowd of jocks and fratboys who tend to play consoles much more than PC. Considering how much corporations in the entertainment industry whine about piracy as well...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    good game still
    i think someone will just make an unofficial launcher

Edited:

Maybe EA has some on-going plan to wean themselves off of PC games. After all, look at the poor support for Black Ops.
    thats activision sillybuns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    Well. At least it's slightly better then typing an IPv6 address by hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 89Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,878 Posts

EA needs to set their priorities straight. A server browser is one of the backbones of PC gaming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 69 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2008
    8,250 Posts
    So....consoles get the server browser....and PC users don't get it, which is something that almost every game on the PC has.
    What the fuck, this doesn't make any sense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 60Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,449 Posts
    Fuck it, I'll just get Skyrim instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 124Agree x 30Funny x 7Disagree x 3Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,758 Posts
    "PC gamers still want our game, what should we do?"

"remove the in-game server browser and make them minimize the game constantly to switch servers."

their master plan to remove themselves from the PC market is genius
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 51Funny Funny x 6 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    462 Posts
    I don't even want to defend this, because it's a pretty stupid choice, but the game (at least the alpha) starts up really fast.

Still, I hope they change it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts

Indie man strikes again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 105Winner Winner x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,348 Posts
    Well, at least MW3 has a server browser. I guess BF3 and MW3 are switching sides.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Curacao Show Events Agree Agree x 33Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Any real hope of even trying to make mods for BF3 has just gone out the window.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 30 (list)

24. Post #24
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    Yet consoles get a server browser, seriously there is no excuse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 36 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts
    Now that's just cruel, the bullshit just keeps piling up the closer it comes to release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,606 Posts
    It's not as bad as you think guys. It was weird at first in the alpha, but its essentially the same thing as an in game browser. If anything, It loaded faster for me than other in game ones, like bc2.

The game loads and exits very fast as well. There's no minimizing, it just fully exits. In the alpha, I was able to start and join the game twice as fast than a bc2 game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree x 34Agree x 10Dumb x 3Informative x 2Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    It's not as bad as you think guys. It was weird at first in the alpha, but its essentially the same thing as an in game browser. If anything, It loaded faster for me than other in game ones, like bc2.

The game loads and exits very fast as well. There's no minimizing, it just fully exits. In the alpha, I was able to start and join the game twice as fast than a bc2 game.
    The alpha doesn't contain the full game content yet so you can't really gauge how well performance will even be until we get a more betaish state complete with content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,878 Posts

Not the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    One sexy lumpy man
    August 2010
    1,466 Posts
    What the fuck. I'm still getting it on PC, but this is kind of a pain in the ass, whats the point?

30. Post #30

September 2009
    927 Posts
    This is just stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,343 Posts

Or maybe they just improved the loading times? Not that fucking hard to do with a ingame browser. Also what are your computer specs, loading times are effected by that you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,757 Posts
    Great job EA, you've managed to make me dislike BF3 just as much as I dislike the CoD series before you've even released it. That takes real skill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing x 68Agree x 17Funny x 4Dumb x 3Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    Plus consoles get an in game browser so why not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 6 (list)

34. Post #34
    July 2011
    964 Posts
    EA, slowly killing everything they touch. One franchise at a time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 57 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    3,033 Posts
    Why don't they just fucking embed the whole battlelog site INTO the game. That's what I thought they'd do after all that fucking bullshit in the alpha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

36. Post #36
    June 2009
    3,288 Posts
    The whole fight between EA and Activision is like two retards throwing punches at each other.
    EA brags about having stuff that CoD doesn't have as if it's a gift from the gods and not something that should already be in a game, while digging themselves a hole by going anti-Steam, etc.

Activision repackages the same stuff and is probably going to end up with the most sales anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2010
    5,668 Posts
    I don't really mind, even though I like to browse servers myself.. so it is a little disappointing too.

Gotta wait and see though. I'm glad to hear the game loads up fast, I wonder how can such a fine-tuned good graphics game take fast to load..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    February 2010
    10,168 Posts
    It seems Activision, EA and Ubisoft are deliberately trying to be dicks. It's like a dick-waving contest between dicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Artistic Artistic x 46Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,286 Posts
    EA, are you trying to make everyone hate you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    3,033 Posts
    It seems Activision, EA and Ubisoft are deliberately trying to be dicks. It's like a dick-waving contest between dicks.
    I think EA wants to take their throne as "the worst game company" back from activision since they lost it to them some time ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 33Funny Funny x 2 (list)