1. Post #1
    Dennab
    July 2010
    7,387 Posts
    Look, all I ever hear about is Minecraft. Minecraft this, Minecraft that. Everyone makes jokes about the creepers. All my friends seemed to be hooked on minecraft like nothing on Earth.

I don't know much about it, but you build shit, and there's little green people who try to fuck your shit up. Is it really this fun?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I'm interested in this, I really want to see what this is. It looks really interesting that I can build a whole world, so what I'm asking, is there any form of Demo or like, free trial/ guest pass thingy I can use to experiment with Minecraft?

I know there's one where you can just build things but that's not really the game so I've been told.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 38Friendly Friendly x 14Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

July 2011
    38 Posts
    There is a demo for the beta version you can download here:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/do...inecraft-demo/

It is pretty fun but it is really up to you if you like it or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 5Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Useful Useful x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,743 Posts
    On their website you can play a free version. They give you unlimited blocks and let you build to your heart's content, but there are no monsters, and there's no real point to exploration.

I'm getting the game on Monday, since I spent like three hours on the free version. It really makes you lose track of time. It's a ton of fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    July 2010
    7,387 Posts
    Cool, thanks a bunch. I'm thinking about getting this! My friends can't stop raving. I read there's a buy 1 get 1 free sale so maybe I can nag one of them. I'm a poor man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,485 Posts
    Asking if minecraft is overrated. In the Minecraft forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 71Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,811 Posts
    It's pretty fun, and it's still not completed, which means that there's tons of new content coming.
    Especially the Adventure Update, which should be coming (at current estimates) in late August.
    Also, there's infinite possibilities, as there's 281 trillion unique worlds possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    July 2010
    7,387 Posts
    Well, I had fun. I built a house completely out of wood!

I started a fire cause I couldn't see. I have no house anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 43Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    6,747 Posts
    It's pretty fun, lots of people play it, pretty current, pretty cheap. I was fairly skeptical before I bought it, then I did and fell in love with it. Definitely worth the buy, especially with the special sale going on.

Edit: Yeah, you're going to want to use something besides fire for lighting in a wood house
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    May 2009
    828 Posts
    Minecraft is great because everybody plays it their own way. There are loads of mods and texture packs, and with no objectives or storyline, you are free to do whatever you please. The multiplayer is really fun because you can cooperate with others to survive or you can raid each others bases for loot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2010
    10,380 Posts
    TF2, Terraria and Minecraft were my best investment in games. However this does not automatically make them good, it really depends on your taste, play the demo and find out, don't let us make your opinion for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2010
    2,697 Posts
    I totally thought you already had Minecraft (thanks to all that off-topic MC spam in the 4th through 9th versions of the Free Hats and Items Thread).

Anyhow, Minecraft is good enough. I didn't find it quite as addictive as some people make it out to be, but it is fun, and there is a persistent sense of accomplishment as you expand your buildings and mines and make useful things (such as mob grinders and cobblestone generators the like).

So yeah, I'd say it's worth the some 21.0158 CAD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

12. Post #12
    April 2010
    807 Posts
    I was good when it came out, now everyone plays it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    pdp
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,173 Posts
    it's good but it's still overrated

demo can be found on the site
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    the fu-
    hipster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,500 Posts
    so world of warcraft was good when it came out but now everyone plays it? wrong, it has always been bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    BIG TITLE
    November 2009
    7,624 Posts
    maaaaaaan I play digbuild, you've probably never heard of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,893 Posts
    yeah that is totally a reason for it not to be fun even in singleplayer man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    May 2010
    2,112 Posts
    Just get a fake version of the latest version and decide for yourself. I personally don't like it all that much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hong Kong Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    It depends on what kind of games you like.

If you are all FPS PEW PEW HEADSHOT LOLOLOL

then you will hate this game

If you are on the more creative or casual side of things (or just like sandbox games in general)

then you will possibly like this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,293 Posts
    If it was overrated, there probably wouldn't be a huge sub-forum here. Then again, it depends. You can build in (sub) infinite directions. The combat/spelunking aspect of the game isn't as adventurous as people imply it to be, but a few mods set that straight quite quickly. I would say based on your game history that you would enjoy it a lot with mods like the aether and mo' creatures. Millenaire is also a good add-on if you want to pillage and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #21
    "TL;DR" is not an acceptable response to this post.
    May 2005
    1,458 Posts
    If you want action and you're not so creative, then this is a bad choice in game.
    If you hate poor quality graphics or want something to just work without tweaking it, then this is a bad choice in game.

If you like building something to your hearts content, like being able to customise your game (Such as putting in nicer quality texture packs) and find games like Garry's Mod interesting, then this game may catch your interest… and hold it for quite some time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    592 Posts
    To me, Minecraft is the best game since Garry's Mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2009
    4,168 Posts
    Sadly, the community really did go to shit when all the retards learned about the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    A cardboard cut-out of a man.
    March 2007
    13,603 Posts
    Yes, Minecraft is overrated.
    It's good though, but not the greatest game ever as some people seem to think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    February 2009
    1,909 Posts
    Alright, I'll give it a shot!

Now, how do I equip my iron pickaxe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,324 Posts
    I personally didn't like it because right now there's not hardly anything to do other than build so I got bored of it after a few hours. With the adventure update or whatever coming soon though I might try it again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

27. Post #27
    Just yarr it if you will and see if you like it. I did that, I liked it and bought it 2 days ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    October 2009
    8,907 Posts
    its like garrysmod, except you edit the map, the servers dont crash ever 5 minutes (assuming its a good enough server) easy to save, and lets face it, you can sculpt if u like, i can make vaulted ceilings, people build redstone computers. its a very very very good way to spend 14$ (is it still that) ive given up on garrysmod and warcraft because of this game :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,479 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

30. Post #30
    February 2010
    2,697 Posts
    its a very very very good way to spend 14$ (is it still that)
    It's 14.95 Euros, which comes to about 21.2978 USD, or in CommanderMayhem's case, 21.0209 CAD. So it's about $21 now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,196 Posts
    Do you really think people in the minecraft forum are going to say "No, this game is bad and overrated." ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    The only thing that could minecraft better is if the blocks were slightly smaller, because that would give it a better look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    To me, Minecraft is the best sandbox game since Garry's Mod.
    ftfy. I do agree though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #34
    October 2010
    10,380 Posts
    The only reason one might see it as the best game ever is because there are not many games that allow you do things like in Minecraft, there ARE games, just not as widely known.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    820 Posts
    At first i had the same thoughts about minecraft, suddenly a minecraft account fell from a truck and i got addicted to placing and destroying blocks for hours
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

36. Post #36
    May 2010
    3,914 Posts
    For a lot of people after a month or two, it dies down because they get bored in the rut. For some other people though (like me) they always find more stuff to do, and more things to invent (I am obsessed with TNT cannons, I love making variations or designs of them) and I love the small things, like just digging a lot. I can dig big, boring square and I'll have fun digging it. If you learn about a lot of the extra stuff, or you watch a lot of other people play, you'll constantly get ideas from them and try to recreate them, and that's what keeps a lot of people playing.

I also do think it is one of the best games on the market right now and is not that overated. It can be heavily improved (Of course EVERYONE thinks that, and they all have their shitty ideas), but if not that it's atleast the best sandbox game out there (Mabye ever made, there aren't all too many known sandbox games other than dwarf fortress, though)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,410 Posts
    I thought it was pretty boring as I did my "building" stage like 3-4 years ago when HL2 + Hammer came out so I couldn't think of anything to build :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

38. Post #38
    April 2011
    236 Posts
    Well, I had fun. I built a house completely out of wood!

I started a fire cause I couldn't see. I have no house anymore.
    Happens to the best of us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39

October 2011
    2 Posts
    I recommend it. Great game and highly addictive.

(User was banned for this post ("Pointless Bump" - rilez))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 6Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    December 2009
    117 Posts
    I recommend it. Great game and highly addictive.
    You joined to post that and bump a 2 month old thread, why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)