• Yes

160 92.49%
  • No

13 7.51%
  1. Post #1
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts

You are here for three reasons, to use Gmod IDE, or to help test Gmod IDE or just to look how things are going. If you're here to use Gmod IDE, I'm sorry you'll have to come back in a month or so. The IDE is currently not functional, although it can do some things. It's in no way ready to be used for any real projects yet.

Apart from lack of functionality, projects created using the latest build may not be compatible with later versions. I will not be creating any converters since the project format could change too much to simply 'convert'.

If you are here to test or just to see how things are so far. Download the latest major build from the link at the bottom. Once you download, it is recommended to Update via Tools/Update. Whenever you see a change on this thread, I will have uploaded a new update.

Some newer pictures (but still outdated):

F.A.Q

Q: I sometimes get [MISSING STRING] on buttons, labels and/or in the file menu
    A: If it's just certain areas, then that's fine, they're either not added yet or not available in the selected language. If the entire program has Missing Strings, try redownloading lang.db

Q: Some buttons don't do anything when I click on them
    A: Some features are not added yet, however, if you know the feature is added, and your way of getting to it doesn't work, throw a PM at me with a screenshot.

Q: The derma skin editor is not working!
    A: Since the skin is changing and could change when beta is released, I'm not finishing that feature yet.

Q: My language isn't available!
    A: Sorry about that, feel free to use the language editor to make your own string conversion, you can access it from the toolbar. I'm not accepting languages to the final version yet though.

Q: Never mind the above question, how do I select a language?
    A: A dialogue should appear the first time you run Garry's Mod IDE, if it doesn't, go into Help/Language

Q: Could I have the source code?
    A: Anybody with decent skills can reverse it, and to prevent reuploads, minor edits, little kids claiming that they made it or little kids changing the credits and flogging it off; Garrysmod IDE is closed-source. (still free though)

Q: Could I help work on Garry's Mod IDE?
    A: Of course, but I'll be making sure your not planning on doing anything in the above question

Q: Hurry up!
    A: http://tiny.cc/PAIN

Q: I made a request and got no reply!
    A: I failed to see how you would actually test it, and not just want to try and use it and bitch at me later when the project file format changes

Q: Where did the weekly builds go?
    A: Whenever I released them, I was spammed with people moaning that everything didn't work

Donations always brighten my day, you'll also get your name in the credits of the release

Thanks to these people:

no1dead
    Myrrdin
    Axisofaj
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Useful x 26Winner x 15Lua King x 10Dumb x 2Late x 2Optimistic x 1Lua Helper x 1Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,573 Posts
    Wait, so this will work as a derma designer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    Yup, from single derma files, to gamemodes

Although it's not completely finished, I'm testing differant ways of designing derma. It's not easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Useful x 2Winner x 1Lua King x 1Agree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,573 Posts
    Yup, from single derma files, to gamemodes

Although it's not completely finished, I'm testing differant ways of designing derma. It's not easy.
    Please don't give up on this, many people have benefited from the Derma Designer, but the people working on it gave up.

I'm really looking forward to this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,349 Posts
    I have to agree with what vexx said, don't give up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    L33T Lau Coder
    April 2011
    1,813 Posts
    Looks very promising.
    Keep up the good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    I knew that new project form looked familiar, this is based off the GLuaR source. :buddy:

I seem to see a lot of IDE projects spring up around these forums, and then never get anywhere. Regardless, I wish you luck!

Also, just to note that the original GLuaR code was licensed under LGPL/GPL, but I'm pretty sure that license isn't valid anyway. I don't really care for protecting it, so just assume the code is completely public domain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2011
    602 Posts
    I'm more interested in the skin editor, etc. Because I'm a lazy slob like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Nintendo Wii Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    July 2009
    1,603 Posts
    this pleases me

please continue

10. Post #10
    Chill Moderator
    May 2007
    6,302 Posts
    This looks great. Keep up the good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

June 2009
    340 Posts
    This looks awesome, and I'm sure many people will benefit from it! I look forward to seeing a release. :)

12. Post #12
    Steins;Gate SUCKS
    October 2008
    4,958 Posts
    Do have to be a realist here, but this has been attempted so many times, and it failed an equal amount of times.

Best of luck though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    April 2011
    715 Posts
    This looks great, a type of project manager would be really helpful. I love the way that C++ projects are set up in Visual Studio so with this LUA can be similar. Great work!

14. Post #14
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    I am aware that many IDE's have just failed, but this is due to lack of time, something of which I have plenty of. Yes, the new project gui is from GLuaR and some of the structure concepts.

I'm hoping to get a release soon, it won't be fully finished when I do, however it should give people a glimpse of the project without having to download the svn and compile it themself. Also, it does have a language feature allowing quick editing of just about every piece of text in the program; so if you want to help by translating simply email me and I'll add you to the svn (past work links would be great)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2009
    138 Posts
    I am aware that many IDE's have just failed, but this is due to lack of time, something of which I have plenty of. Yes, the new project gui is from GLuaR and some of the structure concepts.

I'm hoping to get a release soon, it won't be fully finished when I do, however it should give people a glimpse of the project without having to download the svn and compile it themself. Also, it does have a language feature allowing quick editing of just about every piece of text in the program; so if you want to help by translating simply email me and I'll add you to the svn (past work links would be great)
    Will we be able to impalement Derma skins that we have made?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    I'm hoping to add import features, but due to the nature of skins it could be quite hard. I think I will be able to implement an import feature for gamemodes and addons though.

Also, skins and dermas don't store as plain LUA which means it is easier for GIDE to understand as well as being able to export it to LUA with ease.

Along the lines of derma importing, it may become possible to import a Derma Designer project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    July 2009
    7,142 Posts
    I was thinking about continuing the DD project, glad I don't have to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2009
    1,656 Posts
    I think I love you. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,573 Posts
    I'm hoping to add import features, but due to the nature of skins it could be quite hard. I think I will be able to implement an import feature for gamemodes and addons though.

Also, skins and dermas don't store as plain LUA which means it is easier for GIDE to understand as well as being able to export it to LUA with ease.

Along the lines of derma importing, it may become possible to import a Derma Designer project.
    I'm perfectly fine with importing DD projects.

20. Post #20
    Steins;Gate SUCKS
    October 2008
    4,958 Posts
    Will we be able to impalement Derma skins that we have made?
    Impalement of derma skins sounds quite horrifying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    Yes, since the only option is from LUA, and I'd have to make something able to parse LUA and mistakes and it's really not needed. I'll be bringing an update on an IntelEssence style system later tonight.

It's possible that DermaDesigner could be intergrated with the IDE, nothing confirmed.

Edited:

The project is rolling forward, two people have volunteered to help, just SonicXV for now but hopefully baaleos will join soon. :aaaaa:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,822 Posts
    I know C# and may be able to provide some assistance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,362 Posts
    Not a day's gone by and already someone is offering assistance.

I honestly do hope this goes far, because I've always had trouble coding in Lua (due to lack of concentration and the attention span of a newt :V), and this may provide some ample assistance to me. Best of luck, mate, and don't let constraints wear down your determination!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    Thanks, Just send me an email and I'll add you to the svn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    If anybody would like to help, Gmod IDE needs an icon and possibly a logo, some bubble text if possible. If anybody can do that, that would be great, you will receive credit in the program when it's finished.

26. Post #26
    June 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Is there anything done so far except the make project button?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    Yes, the gui, the code highlighter is, it's not actually ready for use. Do not download the SVN with the intention of using it as formats may/will change and anything you make might become unusable later. Also, I sometimes do test windows but don't actually integrate them straight away.

Edited:

Also note the, Very WIP (Work in progress)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    107 Posts
    It seems to me that you're trying to achieve more of a Visual Studio extension than a stand-alone IDE.

If you'd like your IDE to be inside VS (you can do pretty much anything with the extension SDK), check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ff677564.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

29. Post #29
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    I'm aware of that, but I'd like the versatility of my own IDE. The google code has now been closed as the project is no longer open source, this is no means me giving up; going to use Assembla.

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    715 Posts
    If its not open source then kiss your fan base goodbye
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    It's just while I develop it, I will release source code when it's finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2008
    419 Posts
    Why are you closing the source? Assembla open source plans are free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,126 Posts
    Good luck. Hope it'll work out because I'm really starting to miss IDE features when coding things for GMod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    dill pickle pringle EXTREME

May 2005
    479 Posts
    If its not open source then kiss your fan base goodbye
    Why are you closing the source? Assembla open source plans are free.
    I don't understand the fixation Facepunch has with making any closed source developers feel like outcasts and criminals.
    If you're paranoid about what the developer may be doing, don't use it. I'll bet a great majority of the software you use is closed source. Are you paranoid of those too?

It's just while I develop it, I will release source code when it's finished.
    Don't let Facepunch bully you into open source, if that's not really what you want to do.

Edited:

It seems to me that you're trying to achieve more of a Visual Studio extension than a stand-alone IDE.

If you'd like your IDE to be inside VS (you can do pretty much anything with the extension SDK), check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ff677564.
    Visual Studio is not cheap. Before you bring up the express editions, they don't support extensions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2011
    715 Posts
    If you're paranoid about what the developer may be doing, don't use it. I'll bet a great majority of the software you use is closed source. Are you paranoid of those too?
    I'm not paranoid, I don't care whether he shows us the source now or not. I'm just saying lots of facepunch users wont stand for closed source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    I can understand that you might suspect viruses, things like that, and I'm sure you'll want to tweak round with the code. But for now, it's closed source. I will release the source code every release. I'll be uploading the latest version every day so you can test it out, I've hit quite a few milestones in the project management and file management, so those will be ready quite soon. The problem is derma designing, but I'll get round it ;)

Edited:

All the designs and the way the main form works have changed, so it now has more gui's and no annoying default icon for .NET.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    You can now download the (very unfinished) but latest dev version, ---SNIP---.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2010
    1,179 Posts
    It seems to crash in Windows 7 when I try to resize the project explorer thing on the right.

Edited:

Now it crashes saying something about not being able to find Fireball.Windows.Forms or one of its dependencies when I try to open a lua file :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    I'm a tool
    June 2009
    1,333 Posts
    I'll fix that

Edited:

Download it again, should be fixed. Along the lines of it crashing on Windows 7, I have no idea why. However, It works fine on Vista and XP.

Edited:

Project system should be done soon!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,216 Posts
    I'll fix that

Edited:

Download it again, should be fixed. Along the lines of it crashing on Windows 7, I have no idea why. However, It works fine on Vista and XP.

Edited:

Project system should be done soon!
    if it helps:
    Code:
    ************** Undantagstext **************
    System.IO.FileLoadException: Det går inte att läsa in filen eller sammansättningen Fireball.CodeEditor, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f84d0e3f884fb1e4 eller ett av dess beroenden. Den påträffade sammansättningens manifestdefinition matchar inte sammansättningsreferensen. (Undantag från HRESULT: 0x80131040)
    Filnamn: Fireball.CodeEditor, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f84d0e3f884fb1e4
       vid GmodIDE.CodeTab..ctor(ProjectFile file)
       vid GmodIDE.Workspace.Workspace.ShowProjectFile(ProjectFile file)
       vid GmodIDE.Workspace.Workspace.OpenExternalFile()
       vid GmodIDE.GUI.Main.openToolStripButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       vid System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Inlästa sammansättningar **************
    mscorlib
        Sammansättningsversion: 2.0.0.0
        Win32-version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    GmodIDE
        Sammansättningsversion: 1.0.0.0
        Win32-version: 1.0.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/-snip-/Desktop/Gmod%20IDE/GmodIDE.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
        Win32-version: 2.0.50727.5442 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
        Win32-version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    Fireball.Docking
        Sammansättningsversion: 2.0.0.46
        Win32-version: 2.0.0.46
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/-snip-/Desktop/Gmod%20IDE/Fireball.Docking.DLL
    mscorlib.resources
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    System.Windows.Forms.resources
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_sv_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll
    Fireball.CodeEditor
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/-snip-/Desktop/Gmod%20IDE/Fireball.CodeEditor.DLL
    Fireball.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/-snip-/Desktop/Gmod%20IDE/Fireball.Windows.Forms.DLL
    Fireball.CodeEditor.SyntaxFiles
        Win32-version: 2.0.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/-snip-/Desktop/Gmod%20IDE/Fireball.CodeEditor.SyntaxFiles.DLL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)