1. Post #1
    December 2010
    449 Posts
    So, my family is looking into buying a car, and today, I came across a '06 Honda Accord EX Coupe, I4, manual.

It has ~48000 miles on it, but it's missing the grill, the seat-belt warning indicator is always on no matter what, and has a small scratch on the side.

So, for a car of this condition, what would be a fair price to ask for? In USD, that is.

Edited:

all stock btw

2. Post #2
    DD's Neurosurgeon
    November 2009
    6,717 Posts
    just a quick search http://autos.yahoo.com/honda/accord-sedan/2006/

so about 15k for a good one i guess, um i would ask for a lot less than that, i assume these prices are for good used cars.

3. Post #3
    December 2010
    449 Posts
    Well, the posted price is 14K, but as I mentioned above there are a couple of problems with it

nothing mechanical though

Personally I was thinking about asking 10-11k for it but I'm probably being optimistic

4. Post #4
    DD's Neurosurgeon
    November 2009
    6,717 Posts
    Well, the posted price is 14K, but as I mentioned above there are a couple of problems with it

nothing mechanical though

Personally I was thinking about asking 10-11k for it but I'm probably being optimistic
    it is, but if you are a good negotiator you can get it down to that

just a quick thing i copied on the basics. I got my 2010 new honda accord v6 coupe for 24k, the sticker price was 30k.

1. Never ever let the salesperson take over your shopping experience when you’re buying expensive items, or when the store offers a certain discount. You must control the bargaining process. So when you’re looking to buy something, have a good idea about what it is you want.

2. Know that the posted price for a big ticket item can be brought down — whether it’s a car, a big TV, a computer, furniture, or a house that you intend to purchase. This is especially the case now, in these difficult times.

3. Never ever let them know that you really want something. Give the impression that you’re just browsing, looking, and not really interested in buying anything.

4. Force yourself to leave if the merchant doesn’t give you a lower price. As you walk toward the doors, 9 times out of 10 they will chase you down to offer a better price.

5. Remember, you are the client, you have money in your checking account which the seller desperately wants. If they work on a commission (most of the time they are), they would rather sacrifice half of their take to make the sale. You have the power.

Some people have told me that they simply don’t have the courage to haggle, and that they feel embarrassed to try it. Embarrassed, shmarrassed! It’s your hard earned money; why should you give it away? It’s a win-win situation: they make a sale and you get a discount. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited:

also this is if you are at a dealer, im not sure who you are buying from but some of the advice still works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2010
    449 Posts
    yes, it's a dealer

thanks for the advice - definitely helps

6. Post #6
    DD's Neurosurgeon
    November 2009
    6,717 Posts
    For dealers wait until the end of the month or financial quarter, the end of the quarter is coming up (June 30th) this is the prime time to buy because dealers are trying to reach their bonus quotas. (if they sell a certain amount they get a bonus pay raise) So they will do anything to sell. Try to get a super low quote from another dealer and bring that paper to them, then they will either lower their price or match it and give you extra shit. You can also negotiate paper prices (the bullshit paper work add-ons that they use to add a few hundred dollars on like paper fees and shit). Claim that another place has lower fees or something because each dealer has them. So yeah, if it comes to it, pretend to walk out, also mention if you are paying in cash, they SALIVATE for that and you can use it as a reason to get extra shit or a lower price. Also, presentation matters, dont go in a shit hoodie and sweat pants the richer you look the more power and attention you have. As always be aggressive and assertive, dont budge. You can get that car for a little under the invoice price which i can look up real quick. Good luck.

Edited:

also it seems that the 06 model did have electical issues so the light issue isnt surprising. Average retail price is 13k

Edited:

so your 10-11k isnt impossible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)