1. Post #1
    July 2006
    10,671 Posts
    Hey guys, I've been delving into production for a while now and I want to get a bit more serious so I'm looking in getting some studio monitors.

Can anyone give some advice in what to look for? Prices? Brands? Is it even worth it at the moment? Do I need any existing equipment?

Any advice appreciated.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,214 Posts
    I don't know a lot about the subject, but I've bought some studio monitor headphones and while they're of course not as good as proper monitors they're really helpful and much cheaper. You could consider doing that.

3. Post #3
    stoned dogs unite
    May 2005
    696 Posts
    I've bought several studio monitors so far in my life. Luckily, the people working at the music store I buy most of my equipment are professionals. If that's the case with your local shop, my best advice would be to go there, tell them exactly what you expect out of your monitors, and hopefully they'll be professional enough to find a pair to match your needs and price range. That would atleast narrow down your list of choices.

This little guide might also help: http://www.m-audio.com/news/en_us-2024.html

I use the M-audio Studiophile AV40 with the M-audio SBX10 Subwoofer as my main studio monitors, by the way.

4. Post #4
    Take some music that you know very well to a pro audio store and demo the monitors. That's the only way to really know that you're getting what you are looking for.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    872 Posts
    I use these
    http://www.gale.co.uk/goldmonitors.html
    Someone was giving them away, surprisingly they're very, very good. They only cost 99 for a pair, they're passive though so you need an amplifier.

6. Post #6
    August 2010
    483 Posts
    I suggest not getting monitoring speakers and instead simply getting a nice set of computer speakers and learning them.

I use Logitech X-540 speakers. They're under $100.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    I suggest not getting monitoring speakers and instead simply getting a nice set of computer speakers and learning them.
    I suggest not listening to this guy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    What are you on about?

9. Post #9
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,076 Posts

I use Logitech X-540 speakers. They're under $100.
    Do you have a clue of what you're saying?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,544 Posts
    i wanan big spaekers with lik a giant shub woofer that shoot laser air
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    875 Posts
    i wanan big spaekers with lik a giant shub woofer that shoot laser air
    i hav dat exact model

12. Post #12
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,076 Posts
    i hav dat exact model
    is that ur secret

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    875 Posts
    is that ur secret
    yes i use magic speker 2 writ musec

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,544 Posts
    yes i use magic speker 2 writ musec
    they tel me its all abot the shub whoofer to for write musicc

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    875 Posts
    they tel me its all abot the shub whoofer to for write musicc
    dat helps 2 i turn shub whoofer up til da earth shakes tru story
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,544 Posts
    dat helps 2 i turn shub whoofer up til da earth shakes tru story
    ahm so jeluos rigth now i cnat wait until i can buyy my own shub whoofer adn shake thhe earth mang

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    Hey guys what's going on in this thre-

:geno:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2006
    10,671 Posts
    tanks fo all da hlep guys!!

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    lol no probe~

20. Post #20
    September 2010
    718 Posts
    Genelec monitors are good :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,730 Posts
    Genelec monitors are good :3
    We used to have Genelec 1032A in our radio studios. They can pump out quite some pressure as well.

However, before you fork out all your cash for Genelec monitors i'd suggest you to go with something a bit more appropriate like Behringer Truth. I know Behringer and all, but they're legitly good.

22. Post #22
    September 2010
    718 Posts
    We used to have Genelec 1032A in our radio studios. They can pump out quite some pressure as well.

However, before you fork out all your cash for Genelec monitors i'd suggest you to go with something a bit more appropriate like Behringer Truth. I know Behringer and all, but they're legitly good.
    I got Genelec 8020A, they weren't that expensive. First monitors I got.

Edited:

Not that much bass in them though

23. Post #23
    July 2009
    1,254 Posts
    The M-Audio speakers are pretty awesome for monitors. How much are you willing to spend?

24. Post #24
    July 2006
    10,671 Posts
    Hmmm not sure, I'm new to this so I don't want something too amazing. Just something decent enough to get me started. Maybe around $500? I don't whether that's enough or not.

25. Post #25
    July 2009
    1,254 Posts
    What are you using them for? Producing music, right?
    500 is enough for a pair of M Audio BX 5's or 8's, don't know the prices in Amurica.

26. Post #26
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    Hmmm not sure, I'm new to this so I don't want something too amazing. Just something decent enough to get me started. Maybe around $500? I don't whether that's enough or not.
    $300 is good enough. And that isn't just for beginners, even after you get deeper into production you'll be satisfied with that pair. Good brands at the $300 tier are M-Audio, KRK, Mackie, Alesis - off the top of my head.

Do I need any existing equipment?
    You're gonna need cables.

27. Post #27
    August 2009
    3,350 Posts
    Inb4 OP buys passive speakers cus they're cheap

28. Post #28
    September 2010
    718 Posts

You're gonna need cables.
    I also think a sound interface would be needed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    This one is really popular.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Roki...56-i1401613.gc

You have to keep in mind though that a bad room won't do your monitors very much justice.

In addition to a nice pair of monitors, you should also get some nice headphones. There is more emphasis on how the music sounds with headphones because that has become a really popular method of listening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    This one is really popular.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Roki...56-i1401613.gc

You have to keep in mind though that a bad room won't do your monitors very much justice.

In addition to a nice pair of monitors, you should also get some nice headphones. There is more emphasis on how the music sounds with headphones because that has become a really popular method of listening.
    Some pretty good headphones I produce with; http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...uct/B0001FTVDQ

31. Post #31
    July 2006
    10,671 Posts
    Didn't expect so much feedback, thanks everyone.

I've actually got a pair Audio Technica ATH-500 headphonts which are really good.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    158 Posts
    My Recommendation would be either Adam A7's, Yamaha HS80m's or Whatever Genelecs you can Afford.

Edited:

Also, get you some foam pads to sit them on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Slovenia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,467 Posts
    My local Guitar Center has some nice monitors on display back in their production room, but they range from about $300 to $2000, so expect to pay some decent money for them. I'd like to save up for a set myself.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,750 Posts
    Gonna want to get an audio interface too, the soundcard you have right now is, I'm guessing, immensely shitty.

35. Post #35
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    If I were you I'd gradually upgrade. You don't have to get all this stuff at once. Be sure that with whatever you are getting, that it is good quality. Like if you can't get some decent monitors right now, don't get yourself a cheap pair, because you'll just have to replace them later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    April 2008
    832 Posts
    I use a pair of AKG K 702 for general mixing and a pair of AKG K 181 when I really need to listen to the bass.