1. Post #1
    July 2009
    9,912 Posts
    Source
    Frank Gibeau, chief of EA Games, said that the company has been aggressively rebranding itself the last few years.

When EA was founded by Trip Hawkins in 1982, it soon grew into a respected company exploring the burgeoning videogame medium. Over the last few decades, Electronic Arts grew into a publishing giant that owns developers that make games instead of making games itself. It seemed that EA of the Oughts was more interested in flooding the market with shovelware than really good games. The reputation it enjoyed in the 80s had vanished, and pundits within and without the industry continue to ask EA to respect its fans and its videogames again. Frank Gibeau thinks that EA's attempts to positively rebrand itself have been successful by the way it holds up the culture of each developer within its umbrella. Oh, and they are working on a sequel to Mirror's Edge, for what it's worth.

"We've been in existence for 28 years, been on top, been challenged and are coming back, we're on the offense," Gibeau said. "Regaining your reputation starts at a creator level, customers and fans."

Gibeau said that the problem was that each studio EA owned started to feel homogenized. "One of the things I learned at EA when we were great and at the top of our game was each of the studios that were creating games had their own unique culture," he said. "So we purposefully blew the place up and the concept that we created was 'city states', which mean you had creative independence and autonomy to build a product."

He went on: "DICE is very different than BioWare, which is different from Visceral, which is different to Danger Close. Giving them the opportunity to create their identities, invest in their cultures and come into work - if you like coming into work you like building what you're building - fundamentally that was the key dynamic.

"A stupidly simple idea," Gibeau admitted in retrospect.

Well, what about the rumor that he killed a sequel to the fan favorite Mirror's Edge. "We're just trying to figure out how to bring Mirror's Edge back and in what way, that's part of the creative development process. I know there were some stories about how EA killed Mirror's Edge. I'm the guy that greenlights the games, I didn't kill it," Gibeau said.

"We're actively working on ideas in the Mirror's Edge universe; we just haven't locked on a way to bring it back so that fans will be excited and at the same time we get to a bigger audience. That's god's honest truth," he swore.

Given the other stuff Gibeau was saying, I'm not sure if I buy it. What do you guys think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 90Useful x 2Informative x 2Dumb x 1Funny x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,176 Posts
    Hurrah, this is excellent news!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 51Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2006
    7,076 Posts
    Yayyy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2010
    5,893 Posts
    EA to quit peaking into their customers wallet and start producing fun, quality games? I have to see to believe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 29Agree x 19Dumb x 1Funny x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,717 Posts
    I'm glad! Mirrors edge is a fucking ace video game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 39Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2010
    2,348 Posts
    Dice should focus on BF3 :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 28Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,187 Posts
    I like Frank Gibeau, EA was falling apart before he turned it around. Sure they still make some shitty games purely to earn money, but at least they're trying to increase the quality of their games now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Haunted by a dark and stupid past
    December 2009
    3,244 Posts
    If it's a sandbox or open world game I will fucking vomit from excitement
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Resident dragon enthusiast.
    Dennab
    September 2010
    10,153 Posts
    Wasn't he the one who said Mirrors Edge was terrible because it didn't have multiplayer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Well, at least EA are trying to stop being assholes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

11. Post #11
    YOU AIN'T NEVER HAD A FRIEND LIKE ME
    August 2006
    10,017 Posts
    I guess Mirrors Edge 2 is... still alive?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 44Funny Funny x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,187 Posts
    Wasn't he the one who said Mirrors Edge was terrible because it didn't have multiplayer?
    He said there wasn't enough in the game and it would have had a longer life with multiplayer modes, he never said it was bad.

13. Post #13
    Resident dragon enthusiast.
    Dennab
    September 2010
    10,153 Posts
    He said there wasn't enough in the game and it would have had a longer life with multiplayer modes, he never said it was bad.
    All I remember from his quote was 'It didn't even have multiplayer!'

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,763 Posts
    I hope there should be level editor in mirrors ledge 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2008
    6,418 Posts
    Heck Yea!

16. Post #16
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,176 Posts
    Mirrors Edge would be awesome with Multiplayer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,298 Posts
    I'm glad EA is still trying to get back on track.

Mirrors Edge would be awesome with Multiplayer.
    I'd like to race people to locations then work together to reach hard to get spots (standing on shoulders, jumping off a knee, etc).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 30Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    The Savior of FP
    May 2010
    5,629 Posts
    Fuck yes, I loved the first mirrors edge. all they have to do is sort out the little problems and it'll be the perfect parkour game.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,195 Posts
    I now like EA again. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    July 2007
    1,016 Posts
    Well, as long as they don't pull any 'Your mum will hate this' marketing idiocies anymore, I'll welcome Mirror's Edge 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    The Savior of FP
    May 2010
    5,629 Posts
    I hope there should be level editor in mirrors ledge 2
    That would be cool, especially if you could publish them online littlebigplanet style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,195 Posts
    Maybe for a possible multiplayer mode there can be sort of a team full of police trying to get the runners. (?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    31,490 Posts
    now bring back maxis and bullfrog you cunts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,282 Posts
    I'm eager to know what happens in the singleplayer... Maybe the city filled with cameras and propaganda will fall?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    7,954 Posts
    EA has really improved in the past year or two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,024 Posts
    I hope there is a sort of mission mode too where you get to play through objective-based non-story missions. After all, that is your job.

Also, let me disarm anyone at any time, maybe make it a take-down instead of a disarm (difference being you don't get their weapon) and have multiple animations for it. It gets repetitive and it's annoying having to wait for them to attack first (and I swear the SWAT guys with Assault Rifles were nigh impossible to disarm, you were better off punching or shooting them to death).

27. Post #27
    November 2007
    586 Posts
    "ideas in the Mirror's Edge universe" doesn't mean "Mirror's Edge 2". If anything, it means more iPod Touch games.

Mirror's Edge 2 isn't coming back for a long time. It's time to face reality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    June 2007
    2,800 Posts
    While Infinity Ward and Activision goes down, EA is beginning to rise. I just hope they don't blow it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,024 Posts
    Mirror's Edge 2 isn't coming back for a long time. It's time to face reality.
    Why would they be coming up with ideas if they didn't have any plans to make a new one?

30. Post #30
    Spirit Guide
    March 2009
    17,039 Posts
    Mirror's Edge was a pretty shitty game, so I don't particularly care either way if a new one is released. The concept for Mirror's Edge was neat, but the execution was terrible. Awful story, abominable voice acting, and revolting level design and art style. If Mirror's Edge 2 is in the works, I hope they'll have enough decency to buck up for a real development team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 31Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,078 Posts
    EA, caring about their customers?

Since when?

32. Post #32
    November 2007
    778 Posts
    Stupid phone, caused me to accidentally rate useful instead of winner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 3Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,918 Posts
    Interesting to see them take up the Mirror's Edge series again. Correct me if I'm wrong but a while back didn't EA say they didn't have any plans to continue with a second game?

Either way, it's good to see them wanting to expand on Mirrors Edge. I'd love to be able to roam the city to the street level and play free mode online.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,301 Posts
    I like Frank Gibeau, EA was falling apart before he turned it around. Sure they still make some shitty games purely to earn money, but at least they're trying to increase the quality of their games now.
    Like Dragon Ages 2? Yeah.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2007
    778 Posts
    I think DA2 comes under the shitty money making category, an example of increased game quality might be what we've seen of Battlefield 3 so far and there choice to make an effort for the PC market again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    August 2010
    1,125 Posts
    Dragon Age 2 wasn't THAT bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    December 2007
    1,794 Posts
    I bet it will have less features, less story, more weapons, is focused on MP and it'll get raped by tons of DLC.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,119 Posts
    Not sure if I should be excited, I don't like that they said they are trying to find a way to broaden the audience
    Sounds like DA2

39. Post #39
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    10,075 Posts
    Hurrah, this is excellent news!
    Who ever disagrees with this statement should be side kicked off a building by faith from Mirror's Edge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,455 Posts
    I hope they really improve on the story, Mirror's Edge had a terrible storyline but great gameplay. And coop/race multiplayer modes would be great, time trial got boring quick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Indonesia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)