1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,835 Posts
    So facepunch needs a Magic: The Gathering thread, and I'm here to deliver! Not a video game but technically this forum is for "Games" in general, so why not make a thread about the longest-running and best nerd-cred trading card game on Earth?

Magic the Gathering is a trading card game where you play as a "Planeswalker", or some kind of magical enlightened being who can walk through planes of existance at will and take on any form, controlling magical artifacts, creatures, sorceries and instants to defeat other planeswalkers in battle

Blah blah blah the gist of the game is each player starts out at 20 life, and you basically try and get your opponent down to zero by dealing direct damage with whatever means you can (usually creatures).

There are other ways to kill other players too. If you run out of cards in your "Library" (aka your deck), you lose the game. If a card states you lose the game, then you lose as well.

You summon creatures and other spells by "tapping" lands, which are the basic mana resource in the game:

Each "school" of magic (aka the different colors) has certain strengths and weaknesses. For instance, blue has a large focus on flying creatures (can only be blocked by other flying creatures, but are generally weaker) and counters (instants that force the opponent to discard cards they just played). White has a lot of life-gain abilities, black has a large focus on cards that deal with your graveyard (where cards go when they die/discard), red a lot of direct/fast damage, and green has a lot of power-creatures.

Anyways each card in magic has a "cost" in mana in order to bring it out. For example:

Costs 2 black mana to cast.

The 2/2 is its Power/Toughness. Think of it as life. It has 2 "HP" and deals out "2 damage". When you attack with a creature, the defender can choose a creature to defend with, and both creatures deal their damage at the same time. If the defending player can't block (which happens if they have no creatures, or all their creatures are "tapped/used" for that turn), then the creature deals direct damage. So in this case, the creature would deal 2 damage to a player.

So if you have a 2/2 blocking a 2/2, then both creatures would die, but if a 2/2 blocks a 1/1 then only the 1/1 creature would die. A 2/2 WITH FIRST STRIKE (like the above card) blocking another 2/2, causes the one without first strike to die. You get the idea.

Oh, and toughness regenerates after each turn. So if a 4/4 blocks a 2/2, then the 4/4 doesn't lose 2 toughness (or "HP") forever - it goes back to 4 at the end of the turn.

Anyways, here's some more pictures:

Recently they added a new card class called "Planeswalker", which are basically seperate "players" you can play which have super abilities and their own life totals. Each turn you can add "+1" to their life to activate their "+1" ability for example.

Here's a couple of examples of some of the best Planeswalker cards you can get:

(Normally when creatures attack on your turn, they become "tapped" and you can't use them for defense on your opponents turn. Vigilence makes it so this doesn't happen)

(Exile = remove cards from the game)

And some OMGBBQWTF cards, just for fun:

(Ahnhilator means that when you attack with it, defending player must sacrifice X permanents they control before the attack completes)

------------------------

I have two decks I play with casually. A very strong green-white wolf creature deck that's all about summoning giant hordes of 2/2 wolves and buffing them, and a strong pure white cleric deck that's all about damage prevention and gaining life until I get Luminarch Ascention out, which is an enchantment that lets me summon as many 4/4 flying angels I want for only two mana. I've lost only once to both ;)

Anyone else play? Got any decks you've made?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner x 46Dumb x 3Optimistic x 2Funny x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Guess what deck I played?

I would get back into it but I don't have the money and time.

Video games are always top priority!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,835 Posts
    Black?

And it's really not that expensive if you just have a couple of decks. My two custom decks I built cost a total of $20 or so (about the price of a preconstructed one), with some very good cards inside. You can buy giant grab bags of 200 cards at most card shops for about $10 or so too.

I have an old pre-constructed white-red deck I got from a friend a few years ago (one you can buy in stores that's ready to play) featuring Time Counters as it's major strong point. Time counters basically mean the creatures you summon are REALLY cheap and really powerful, but go away after X or so turns. Trick is, the deck also had a lot of abilities that put your own creatures back into your hand so you had to constantly be bouncing your own creatures while playing them over and over to reap the benefits of their strength. Was pretty powerful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,539 Posts
    i loved the first generation cards. ever since they updated the card layout i haven't been paying attention to magic.

5. Post #5
    Self-Boosting Retard
    February 2010
    1,241 Posts
    Black?

And it's really not that expensive if you just have a couple of decks. My two custom decks I built cost a total of $20 or so (about the price of a preconstructed one), with some very good cards inside. You can buy giant grab bags of 200 cards at most card shops for about $10 or so too.

I have an old pre-constructed white-red deck I got from a friend a few years ago (one you can buy in stores that's ready to play) featuring Time Counters as it's major strong point. Time counters basically mean the creatures you summon are REALLY cheap and really powerful, but go away after X or so turns. Trick is, the deck also had a lot of abilities that put your own creatures back into your hand so you had to constantly be bouncing your own creatures while playing them over and over to reap the benefits of their strength. Was pretty powerful.
    Black/Red/Green is Jund, I think

I have shitloads of cards that my brother left here, mostly not anything good though I'd bet since he took most of his with him. First played in 8th ed, stopped around the end of the Kamigawa block... I've played a few times recently but same as Jund, don't have the money (though I do have the time).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,539 Posts
    guess what deck combo i made.

it's gay as fuck with direct dealing spells as well as low cost creatures.

7. Post #7
    Internet Detective in BRICK (HBIED certified)
    May 2007
    12,100 Posts
    I'm learning Magic at my college. I like it more than Yugioh, there's less "YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD I'LL CHAIN 20 OTHER CARDS AND I WIN".

I enjoy green decks, though I should probably get my own.

Edited:

Do any of you have the XBLA game? I'll play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    March 2009
    629 Posts
    My uncle used to have shit tons of these when I was little.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2006
    14,846 Posts
    I bought a preconstructed white/green deck and have played a couple of times but I never really got into it.

10. Post #10
    September 2007
    3,255 Posts
    I use a pure white angel deck that gets reconstructed after every game. Currently in SHITMODE with 3x green and red manas and a few odd green and red cards.

11. Post #11
    I'm learning Magic at my college. I like it more than Yugioh, there's less "YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD I'LL CHAIN 20 OTHER CARDS AND I WIN".

I enjoy green decks, though I should probably get my own.
    One time I was playing with my friend using his green/black token deck against his white/blue flying deck BECAUSE HE'S A GIANT PUSSY. Anyway, it was his turn and I had only 1 life left while he still had a 4 power flier out.

He thought he won, but out of fucking nowhere IT WAS MOTHERFUCKING FOG, BITCH. Negated his damage and forced him to end, then tapped all my tokens to deal 8 damage and win the game.

That's right, I pulled a Yu-Gi-Oh in MTG.

Edited:

I would really love a portable MTG game though. Something to waste time on when I'm on the train or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Internet Detective in BRICK (HBIED certified)
    May 2007
    12,100 Posts
    One time I was playing with my friend using his green/black token deck against his white/blue flying deck BECAUSE HE'S A GIANT PUSSY. Anyway, it was his turn and I had only 1 life left while he still had a 4 power flier out.

He thought he won, but out of fucking nowhere IT WAS MOTHERFUCKING FOG, BITCH. Negated his damage and forced him to end, then tapped all my tokens to deal 8 damage and win the game.

At least in Magic it's something to talk about! :P

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts

Edited:

I would really love a portable MTG game though. Something to waste time on when I'm on the train or something.
    You're such a miser fag fag.

@Beardy
    You're too old get on Jace 2.0's level. Urza who?

inb4 magic was better back when people didn't know ancestral recall was worth $500
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,504 Posts
    I tried playing it when I was like 9.
    Don't try playing it when you are like 9.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,539 Posts
    @Beardy
    You're too old get on Jace 2.0's level. Urza who?

inb4 magic was better back when people didn't know ancestral recall was worth $500
    que

16. Post #16
    I have like 7 Bituminous Blast cards

best card or bestest card

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts
    I tried playing it when I was like 9.
    Don't try playing it when you are like 9.
    13 and up bro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,504 Posts
    13 and up bro.
    I literally got cards so I could look at them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts
    Yeah their art used to be really good. Still is good, but there's just so much more confusing clustered art that doesn't make sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

20. Post #20
    Nightsky Mimic + Edge of Divinity is so cheap

2 black/white and 1 colorless for 7/7 flying for 1 turn and 5/4 after

Every time I use that combo they get sooo mad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,820 Posts
    Pshh such an obvious ripoff of "Scrolls"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,621 Posts
    Don't buy the MTG game from steam, its a seriously bad game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2009
    1,053 Posts
    I've come to the conclusion that blue decks are the least fun deck to play against. Seriously, one of my friends plays a blue/white/black artifact deck, and he has a combo that makes people quit because it's impossible to counter.

He has a card that makes all cards on the field artifacts (Mycosynth Lattice), while spells that aren't in play are colorless. Now that the entire field is a handful of terrifying robot monstrosities, here comes the big finisher: Indomitable Archangel. This bastard of a Mythic rare gives all of the cards he owns shroud.

At this point, my teammate and I are freaking out, because we know that he's got some trump card that's going to wreck our shit. I desperately attack with my 13/14 Kitsune Mystic (flying, trample, lifelink. enchantments) which buys us some time, dropping his team's lifetotal down to 20 and raising ours up to 63. Next turn, he exiles Kitsune Mystic and all of its enchantments, callously counters my Thorn Elemental. At this point, we're sunk.

Turn after that, what does he bring out? Memnarch? His Leyline of Singularity + Empress Galina combo?

No.

Motherfucking Platinum Emperion.

Now, he never has to block with anything. We can't target his Platinum Emperion with the Terashi's Grasp I had in my hand, cause it has shroud from Indomitable Archangel. We can't target Indomitable Archangel, cause it has shroud because of itself. Needless to say, we forfeited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    September 2010
    1,758 Posts
    Same. Also a friend gave me all his because he didn't use them.

I took it for granted for like 5 years and then realized I had 5000 cards for a really fun game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    October 2009
    1,743 Posts
    I am depressed now. I regret what I've done. If I knew what an awesome game Magic was, I would never have bought all those Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards. The worst thing was my cousin gave me vintage 1996deck full of awesome old cards. I sold them...

In an elementary school auction... For licorice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,835 Posts
    I've come to the conclusion that blue decks are the least fun deck to play against. Seriously, one of my friends plays a blue/white/black artifact deck, and he has a combo that makes people quit because it's impossible to counter.

He has a card that makes all cards on the field artifacts (Mycosynth Lattice), while spells that aren't in play are colorless. Now that the entire field is a handful of terrifying robot monstrosities, here comes the big finisher: Indomitable Archangel. This bastard of a Mythic rare gives all of the cards he owns shroud.

At this point, my teammate and I are freaking out, because we know that he's got some trump card that's going to wreck our shit. I desperately attack with my 13/14 Kitsune Mystic (flying, trample, lifelink. enchantments) which buys us some time, dropping his team's lifetotal down to 20 and raising ours up to 63. Next turn, he exiles Kitsune Mystic and all of its enchantments, callously counters my Thorn Elemental. At this point, we're sunk.

Turn after that, what does he bring out? Memnarch? His Leyline of Singularity + Empress Galina combo?

No.

Now, he never has to block with anything. We can't target his Platinum Emperion with the Terashi's Grasp I had in my hand, cause it has shroud from Indomitable Archangel. We can't target Indomitable Archangel, cause it has shroud because of itself. Needless to say, we forfeited.
    Get this card and everyone will hate you forever in any multiplayer game:

I have that in my cleric/lifegain deck. Coupled with all the Runes of Protection (including artifact):

And you can pretty much stop anything. You'll need to activate the rune's ability for each thing attacking you (each creature/spell) but you should have plenty of mana to do that if you play with a mono deck.

27. Post #27
    August 2009
    709 Posts
    I'm going to frequent the shit out of this thread. I spend a ton of my free time on MTG Salvation and the Gatherer just looking up ridiculous combos and building decks. I'm definitely a deck builder. My main decks atm are Hondens and Saprolings. Probably going to be making a BU mill deck soon.
    Eldrazi, Elves, and Fungi are my favorite tribes probably. I really want to make an Eldrazi deck, just going to wait until they cycle out of standard and drop in price significantly.

28. Post #28
    January 2009
    1,053 Posts
    Coupled with all the Runes of Protection (including artifact):

And you can pretty much stop anything. You'll need to activate the rune's ability for each thing attacking you (each creature/spell) but you should have plenty of mana to do that if you play with a mono deck.
    I have all of the Circles (basically the same, except without Cycling); I could throw those in my Enchantment deck just to mess with people.

As of yet, I haven't found a good use for Elspeth Tirel. It's an awesome card, but I haven't found much use for blowing up everything in play every couple of turns.

29. Post #29
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,983 Posts

No.

:psyduck:

This is why I don't play Magic anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Newbie Programmer
    November 2009
    1,087 Posts
    What a coincidence, just started playing Magic 2 weeks ago. Playing a modified Doom Inevitable, with some cards from my first 5 boosters.
    Fun game, and I have like 6 people in my class to play against.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

31. Post #31
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,983 Posts
    :psyduck:

This is why I don't play Magic anymore.
    I don't quote myself often but I feel the need to elaborate.

Like, to me, this shit is impossible to accomplish without directly buying the cards themselves, and that to me is not fun. I also don't think on a level that is needed to make it in boosters drafts. I liked getting the cards, I liked making the decks and playing people in the lunchroom at high school. Anything else is just...woah.

Like the shit above.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

32. Post #32
    June 2009
    864 Posts
    Get this card and everyone will hate you forever in any multiplayer game:

Man, fuck luminarch ascension.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,117 Posts
    Guess what else the owners of Magic own...
       Ponies!   

:tiphat:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Cyberpunk Member
    August 2006
    3,537 Posts
    Wooho, finally a magic thread. Love the game!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Where the fuck are all my land cards

The only ones I can find are in my deck

Edited:

I don't quote myself often but I feel the need to elaborate.

Like, to me, this shit is impossible to accomplish without directly buying the cards themselves, and that to me is not fun. I also don't think on a level that is needed to make it in boosters drafts. I liked getting the cards, I liked making the decks and playing people in the lunchroom at high school. Anything else is just...woah.

Like the shit above.
    Nothing wrong with playing casually with friends

36. Post #36
    Fuck Bitches, Get Scritches
    April 2005
    1,327 Posts
    I just got back from a tourney tonight, lol.

I've spent way too much money on this so far.

<3 Vampires

37. Post #37
    January 2011
    1,260 Posts
    I liked to play using Black + Blue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,860 Posts
    :h: this game.

I've played a samurai deck since high school ( I started playing at Mirodin / Kamigawa ) that has been reconstructed multiple times. It was mono white for the longest time, then red / white, then red / white / black.

Currently it's five color because I'm indecisive and it helps me get around being screwed for mana. I recently ( months ago ) played against one of my friends from high school and blew his mind when I played Terminate to destoy one of his control creatures, Debtor's Knell to pull it out of his graveyard, and some mana-fixers to use it's abilities.

I also have a card that makes people who play black decks quit.

I literally have to keep it in the sideboard or nobody wants to play with me :(.

And since it's origins are a white deck, I have some fun life gain stuff.

Aria and Endurance are sideboarded as well because they aren't reliable wins.

And then there's just some of the fun creature combos from Kamigawa.

I know it's standard over-powered japanfan stuff in the block, but it plays really well with other blocks.

Consider:

I rest my case.

I'd play more but I'm not really in contact with any of my friends who play any more.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,828 Posts
    I play MTG from time to time. I even go to Friday Night Magic once in awhile. I've been playing since around Prophecies, if I remember correctly. I really love this game but... one thing that really pissed me off were "Mythic Rares". Because we needed rares that were more rare than other rares right? The guys who spend $500 on cards a month will whomp your ass, even in Standard. Doesn't make sense at all. Way to go Wizards.
    You should use Ghost Away/Eternal Witness combo for that time counter deck. Or if you want to play Standard, use Venser's abilities to temporarily exile your creatures and return them to play with fresh time counters.

No.

Oh man, I just played with my friend's deck the other day. Blue/artifact. Let me pull up the cards it uses:

These are the key cards. These two effectively bring the game to a halt. So far, the only way around it I've seen (aside from popping the artifacts) is to attack with a 0 power creature and then use Ninjitsu or a similar ability to put another card into play attacking.

Once these start to come down, the milling begins. Most players only last a few turns to this onslaught.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,563 Posts
    My cube is awesome. There are so many casual baddies in here...

Saying that "blue decks aren't fun" to play against then going on to talk about how you stacked enchantments on a creature...

My head hurts so bad.

Sure ok have fun. Just don't bitch when my EDH deck has ancestral recall.