1. Post #1
    October 2006
    849 Posts
    I'm trying to find a moped that looks like this

Been looking and looking, and so far this is the closet thing I have found other than buying the actual Vespa (which is lots of $$, the Vespa, that is)

Can anyone help me find a moped that looks more like it? That one above looks too compact/soft/curvy for me. Also I don't want it to be more than $1500 (even that's too much)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2009
    859 Posts
    Haruko Haruhara
    No.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    Those are not mopeds, as they have no pedals. Those, my good sir, are scooters. Check local classifieds, such as craigslist, ebay classifieds, the newspaper, or kijiji (Canada). Older scooters (1970s-1980s), the ones that you are looking for, are frequently junked, or thrown out, and rarely get resold, even though most repairs are fairly simple to the unexperienced. Ask around. Good luck on the hunt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2006
    849 Posts
    Some photos of a non 3D model version of the Vespa Supersport 180. Isn't it gorgeous? One day I'll probably get one and restore it (or get one restored) but for now I have to settle for a cheap look-alike.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    Scooters are pretty great for everyone, not just the gay folk, as they are cheap to insure and fuel. The older ones are great to work on too, they are simple and durable as hell, and you can have a bunch of fun seeing how far those 49ccs can take you.

7. Post #7
    November 2009
    1,359 Posts
    Scooters are pretty great for everyone, not just the gay folk, as they are cheap to insure and fuel. The older ones are great to work on too, they are simple and durable as hell, and you can have a bunch of fun seeing how far those 49ccs can take you.
    I'm a scooter fan but of whom I've seen riding classic vespas it's either 50 year olds or some hipster idiot who can't afford a car.

Welcome to the 21st Century, there are much better alternatives that handle better, are more reliable, get better fuel mileage, pollute less, go faster, and sound quieter.

8. Post #8
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,813 Posts
    Welcome to the 21st Century, there are much better alternatives that handle better, are more reliable, get better fuel mileage, pollute less, go faster, and sound quieter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    October 2006
    2,965 Posts
    theres a vespa store in the "fancy" mall near me. 2 floors of fuckin scooters

10. Post #10
    October 2006
    849 Posts
    I'm a scooter fan but of whom I've seen riding classic vespas it's either 50 year olds or some hipster idiot who can't afford a car.

Or in my case; FLCL addict.

Edited:

theres a vespa store in the "fancy" mall near me. 2 floors of fuckin scooters
    I'm not buying a Vespa brand scooter, they cost 3k minimum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,941 Posts
    yeah, but not fucking vespas

if you are going to retain any thread of manliness on a scooter it's either

Honda Ruckus

or your various 50cc race bikes
    e.g. Aprilia RS50
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,055 Posts
    I really don't think that purchasing a scooter is right for you just because you are a fan of a TV show. Buying a means of transportation is serious business. What climate do you live in? Does it rain there a lot? These are all factors getting you off the scooter, and onto mass transportation, something that owning a private means of transportation is supposed to make you avoid.

Edited:

Honda Ruckus

e.g. Aprilia RS50
    A ruckus is a great bike, my uncle owns one, rides great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2006
    849 Posts

Honda Ruckus

e.g. Aprilia RS50
    Yuck.

Edited:

Those types of things are so not my style. But they're cool looking. But I like cute and with personality.

Edited:

Besides, I'm not getting it just because it's in one of my favorite series, that's just what introduced me to that particular Vespa. I want it because I have been in love with it since the instant I saw it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    CP doesn't necessarily have to have a victim, it's just that 99.9% of the time it does. The thing with pedos is that they've been demonized to be horrible no matter what, and I don't think that's the case.
    April 2006
    16,100 Posts
    goddamnit why does everyone know about vespas from that fucking show

yes it was good i admit it even as someone who hates anime but christ almightly fucking vespas man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    October 2006
    849 Posts
    I like to show my "things that hold important places in my heart" visually using little homages and references. :buddy:
    Though the only time I've done it was when I carried a pocketwatch with me (lost it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    October 2006
    849 Posts
    OH MY GOD! I FOUND ONE!

http://www.scootersgogreen.com/scoot...-stroke-150cc/

It's amazing! But it's so expensive, not automatic, and it's 150cc so i think that means I'll need a motorcycle license.. don't even have an I.D. yet.

Gonna have to sell everything i have to even have 1/4th the price.. cya when I get a computer in 5 months..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,941 Posts
    aww fcuk

combining hipster looks with hippie environmentalism

18. Post #18
    October 2006
    849 Posts
    Not hipster.

Edited:

Would it be better to get this, an actual 1964 antique and restore it, it would be worth more.
    http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/2172722500.html

Or to buy this one which is basically identical but with modern parts and slightly different front for a bit more than that above link
    http://www.scootersgogreen.com/scoot...-stroke-150cc/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,941 Posts

20. Post #20
    October 2006
    849 Posts
    Because moped/scooter = hipster.
    Hey, hipsters also wear shoes! Shoes = hipster!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,402 Posts
    You guys say "hipsters", I say, "mod".

Mods are chill guys. Think Beatles. OP, I think it's worth mentioning that Haruko's character is based rather heavily on the mod style, and if you actually refer to flcl when thinking of vespas, get some culture. FLCL is faggoty.

Here's a piece of advice, OP, always try craigslist. If you're in no rush, just use craigslist once in a while, and something will pop up just for you. And don't compromise; stick to the style you want. If you find one that's perfect, but it's a bit beat up, hell, you'll probably spend a quarter the amount of money and probably the same amount of grief paying to get some work done than you will buying a new one. Especially since scooters are small and simple, and vespas are fairly popular.

(also you will not look as awesome as you think you will on a vespa)

22. Post #22
    March 2011
    67 Posts
    "faggoty"?

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,402 Posts
    that show is full of spazzes and childish stupidity.

not that i dont like the show    :ninja:

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,231 Posts

Vespa with an 75 mm recoilless rifle? Yep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2011
    67 Posts
    That poor vespa.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,033 Posts
    Poor Vepsa? It made it cooler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    March 2011
    67 Posts
    If by cool you mean hideous then sure. That's probably the worst mod job I have ever seen. it looks like a pipe duct taped to the front of it. Not to mention the thing looks filthy and abused and decaying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,054 Posts
    If by cool you mean hideous then sure. That's probably the worst mod job I have ever seen. it looks like a pipe duct taped to the front of it. Not to mention the thing looks filthy and abused and decaying.
    stop posting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #29
    March 2011
    67 Posts
    How about no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,941 Posts
    name a

1. Cool Truck
    2. Cool Car
    3. Cool SUV
    4. Cool Bike
    5. Cool Plane

then we know if you can stay

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,033 Posts
    What era is that from? 40's? 50's? How the fuck do you expect it to look? It was probably retrofitted sometime during the war with the tools they had available. They didn't care what it looked like just as long as it could be used...

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,402 Posts
    It's a WARTIME vehicle, how could they NOT introduce a stylish weapon?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,231 Posts
    It's not supposed to be fired on the Vespa. It's a holder for the gun and it was very effective.

34. Post #34
    March 2011
    67 Posts
    name a

1. Cool Truck
    2. Cool Car
    3. Cool SUV
    4. Cool Bike
    5. Cool Plane

then we know if you can stay
    1. Don't like trucks

2. Modern - Citroen GT

Classic - Panther Deville

3. Don't like SUVs

4. All bikes look the same except with a color swap.

5. Never payed attention to planes.

Edited:

What era is that from? 40's? 50's? How the fuck do you expect it to look? It was probably retrofitted sometime during the war with the tools they had available. They didn't care what it looked like just as long as it could be used...
    Weapons attached to vehicles is cool, except when it looks like shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,033 Posts
    Again, how do you expect something to look when it was probably thrown together by a group of soldiers during the war. During WWII at that. You talk as if it didn't look like shit previously.

36. Post #36
    February 2005
    879 Posts
    I went to my friend's 'hipster pad' in the city saturday night and when I walked in the front door to the stairway I found this thing sitting here and thought of this thread.

37. Post #37
    Volkswagen and Cigar Aficionado
    October 2006
    2,849 Posts
    You guys say "hipsters", I say, "mod".

Mods are chill guys. Think Beatles. OP, I think it's worth mentioning that Haruko's character is based rather heavily on the mod style, and if you actually refer to flcl when thinking of vespas, get some culture. FLCL is faggoty.

Here's a piece of advice, OP, always try craigslist. If you're in no rush, just use craigslist once in a while, and something will pop up just for you. And don't compromise; stick to the style you want. If you find one that's perfect, but it's a bit beat up, hell, you'll probably spend a quarter the amount of money and probably the same amount of grief paying to get some work done than you will buying a new one. Especially since scooters are small and simple, and vespas are fairly popular.

(also you will not look as awesome as you think you will on a vespa)
    Greasers>Mods

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,438 Posts
    4. All bikes look the same except with a color swap.
    You are SO wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)