1. Post #1
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Laying some laminate flooring in my bedroom diagonally. This is the same floor that I have going throughout the house, and I'm trying to not have joins between rooms - the floor flows through the entire downstairs.

[h2]Tools Used[/h2]

Jigsaw (with a laminate floor blade, but I don't think it makes that much difference)

Rubber mallet - for giving the boards a tap if they're not doing what you want them to.

Pencil stolen from Ikea for marking the boards

Tape measure

[h2]Progress[/h2]

I started doing it yesterday and I thought I would do it, but I only got as far as the hallway. Now I've got all day on just this room so I'm hoping to have the floor down and the skirting board done too.

This is how much I've done at the moment.

As you can see from the above shot, the offcuts from the one end fit flushly with the other side, so wastage is potentially zero if you have a perfectly square room. You probably don't though.

Will post updates as I go, or when it's finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Useful x 14Dumb x 12Winner x 11Informative x 3Artistic x 2Friendly x 2Zing x 1Agree x 1Optimistic x 1Funny x 1Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,501 Posts
    Will post updates as I go, or when it's finished.
    Please do, it looks good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #3
    Groovy Member
    January 2005
    2,882 Posts
    Ooh that looks nice!

4. Post #4
    but there's an overload of dick and it ruins the experience
    November 2010
    3,847 Posts
    That looks really nice.

Don't the pencil trays say "Take one" on them in the UK, everyone I know in Aus always makes a joke of taking one at every station and ending up with like 50
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Breaking for dinner. Only got 3 boxes of flooring left so will probably have to go fetch more.

Saving the offcuts from the back wall to use when starting the other side.

6. Post #6
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,788 Posts
    That looks really nice. Good work.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,899 Posts
    Became such a bloody pain to do all the downstairs floors by the time we were finished, my recommendation to anyone doing it is plan it so fuckin' much more than you'd ever expect you'd need, nothing worse than finally getting in to the groove of it then finding out you're 5 planks short and gotta take another (of many) trips to b&q to find the right style flooring again

8. Post #8
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Hah, I'm off to B+Q now. Gonna get as much as I can in the car because I've got another room to eventually do.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,518 Posts
    Looking good, what are you using to cut the boards?
    When we did it like 2 years ago we had some crappy saw which we were using but it was crap so the boards weren't staggered if you know what I mean, it was just lines
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    Looking good, what are you using to cut the boards?
    When we did it like 2 years ago we had some crappy saw which we were using but it was crap so the boards weren't staggered if you know what I mean, it was just lines
    the jigsaw was mentioned in the op

haven't you been doing modifications on your home for like 6 months straight now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Go Shuya! You can do it Shuya!
    December 2005
    5,676 Posts
    Looks good so far

12. Post #12
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Yeah I'm using the jigsaw to cut the boards.

It seems like that deggie. It is mostly done now, I just need to get the floor down in a couple of rooms, carpet upstairs and finish the bathroom off.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    Wait a sec, since when did we have [h2][/h2] tags?

[h2]This is fucking awesome![/h2]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    14,847 Posts
    use a circular saw to cut the boards, will be much quicker and accurate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,877 Posts
    Looks hard and annoying as fuck to do, but comes out real nice.

[h2]Wow holy shit[/h2]

16. Post #16
    December 2005
    5,676 Posts
    [h2]Exploiting H2[/h2]

17. Post #17
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Looks hard and annoying as fuck to do, but comes out real nice.

[h2]Wow holy shit[/h2]
    It's really not hard, I have a board cut at a roughly 45 degree angle (the boards aren't exactly 45 degrees, so it's a bit off so it's more accurate). All I do is measure the gap, mark it on the board, use the template board to draw a line, cut it, put it in. The piece you cut off can usually be used to start the next row.

Edited:

Done this much, ran out of boards. I fetched some but they need to be left in the room overnight to resize.

Bent my blade :(

I might finish it off with the new boards anyway though. Fuck it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,396 Posts
    Changing the blade is just a matter of taking out two screws, put new blade in and screw them back in?

19. Post #19
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    No you just have to push a level and pull the blade out. (I meant the boards btw - the blade is fine to use)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,579 Posts
    No you just have to push a level and pull the blade out. (I meant the boards btw - the blade is fine to use)
    Make sure to let your blade cool or else you get nasty bends like that.

Edited:

Also, it seems obvious, but DO NOT touch the blade immediately after using it a lot (directed at anyone using a jigsaw, not you in particular garry) as it gets hot as almighty fuck. I have more than enough burned fingertips to attest to this fact

Edited:

You also may want to consider buying or renting a Miter saw as it makes the job a whole lot quicker and cleaner (straighter more accurate cuts, etc.)

21. Post #21
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    I switched to another non laminate floor blade and it cuts about a billion times faster. Just when I'm almost finished.

I have a miter saw, but it's too small for the boards. It would have made it neater - but I think the jigsaw gives you a lot more control to improvise around the wierd shaped walls.

I finished one corner.

Just this one to finish.. then it's onto skirting board, filling and painting.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,312 Posts
    I seen something like this on your blog a few months ago. It looks awesome as fuck.

Also, I see you got another mug.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,273 Posts
    What layer is under the floor ?
    We use cork-floor for our parquet.But i think parquets have to have the corkfloor base.

24. Post #24
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    It's this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/High-Perform...ay/invt/191372

Which I'm REALLY happy with. It's basically polystyrene with foil over the top. Keeps the heat in really really well.

25. Post #25
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,273 Posts
    It's this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/High-Perform...ay/invt/191372

Which I'm REALLY happy with. It's basically polystyrene with foil over the top. Keeps the heat in really really well.
    Nice, our first floor uses water heating base that is basically a warm holding base with plastic tubes that have warm water.It's pretty cool.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,899 Posts
    We used a jigsaw at first but since we were gonna be doing the decking outdoors too ended up buying a circular saw, much quicker to do straight line cuts and safer (can't really 'dig in' like a jigsaw can and the blade won't break)

Used regular ol' polystrene under floor

27. Post #27
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,273 Posts
    We used a jigsaw at first but since we were gonna be doing the decking outdoors too ended up buying a circular saw, much quicker to do straight line cuts and safer (can't really 'dig in' like a jigsaw can and the blade won't break)
    We use a stationary Circular saw, much easier specially with the angles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    5,605 Posts
    u doing this alone or with the missus' help? laying longer parts can be a bitch.
    my hat off to u for even doing this diagonally, why didnt i think of that? good idea for when im moving out. THX!

29. Post #29
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    On my own.

The long parts really aren't that hard with this flooring, you can just go down the line clicking it in.

30. Post #30
    November 2010
    3,847 Posts
    How does it click in? Do you have to nail it or something to keep it down?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts
    Might actually consider doing my floor diagonally with oak. could come out real beautiful!

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,579 Posts
    How does it click in? Do you have to nail it or something to keep it down?
    Normally the individual pieces slot into each other and then get nailed down on the ends.

33. Post #33
    November 2006
    83 Posts
    looks good, my home is in need of redecorating, we did our living room floor with oak boards about 2 years ago, still looks epic :). This year tho i am looking at re-doing my bathroom, its the original bathroom from when the house was built in 1984 :S.

34. Post #34
    December 2005
    5,676 Posts
    looks good, my home is in need of redecorating, we did our living room floor with oak boards about 2 years ago, still looks epic :). This year tho i am looking at re-doing my bathroom, its the original bathroom from when the house was built in 1984 :S.
    Did George Orwell live there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    No, no nailing, you just click it together and thats it. You aren't meant to secure wooden floor to anything because there needs to be a small gap around the edge - if not when it expands it will bow and lift up in the middle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,899 Posts
    One thing I'd offer is put down a rug or something where any office chairs or the like are gonna be; we did ours a few years ago now and the wheels are starting to splinter off the corners of the boards revealing the rather shit looking treated chipboard inside
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Is yours V groove - or does it fit edge to edge?

I got V groove because I think it's a lot more resistant to the edges getting chipped, or bubbling up.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,899 Posts
    I don't remember the exact parlance but it definitely was grooved all the way along all sides, a quick google says Yes

The top laminate will eventually start to wear down if the wheels keep going over the edges, just like how the edges eventually come up on a scratch resistant cover on your smartphone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    I was going to have it as my office when I move my bedroom upstairs - so will defo look into getting a carpet for my chair. It's gonna have to be pretty flat though, I hate not being able to wheel around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    November 2010
    3,847 Posts
    At my desk I have a plastic cover to protect the floorboards.
    Its slightly more transparent and a bit wider, but it's similar to this:

Why not find one of those
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 6Informative x 1Useful x 1Dumb x 1Disagree x 1 (list)