1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,438 Posts
    Source

By now, you may have read Danny Sullivan’s recent post: “Google: Bing is Cheating, Copying Our Search Results” and heard Microsoft’s response, “We do not copy Google's results.” However you define copying, the bottom line is, these Bing results came directly from Google.

I’d like to give you some background and details of our experiments that lead us to understand just how Bing is using Google web search results.

It all started with tarsorrhaphy. Really. As it happens, tarsorrhaphy is a rare surgical procedure on eyelids. And in the summer of 2010, we were looking at the search results for an unusual misspelled query [torsorophy]. Google returned the correct spelling—tarsorrhaphy—along with results for the corrected query. At that time, Bing had no results for the misspelling. Later in the summer, Bing started returning our first result to their users without offering the spell correction (see screenshots below). This was very strange. How could they return our first result to their users without the correct spelling? Had they known the correct spelling, they could have returned several more relevant results for the corrected query.

Bing, you sneaky bastards. Google, you savvy bastards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 166Winner x 8Dumb x 3Zing x 2Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,068 Posts
    Hahahahahahaha, microsoft, you silly billy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 87Funny Funny x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    250 Posts
    The only thing that matches are the top result so how is that copying?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 37Agree Agree x 7 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,438 Posts
    The only thing that matches are the top result so how is that copying?
    Did you read the whole article?

Google was deliberately tagging obscure websites with unusual search terms, which subsequently appeared in Bing. The only way this would have happened is if Bing was copying the results Google found.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 30Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,510 Posts

Google was deliberately tagging obscure websites with unusual search terms, which subsequently appeared in Bing. The only way this would have happened is if Bing was copying the results Google found.
    Is that how I got an F on my last research report...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Funny Funny x 18 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    250 Posts

Oh okay. I didn't click on the source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,456 Posts
    Bing. The decision engine that decided to plagiarise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 98 (list)

8. Post #8
    I'm friendly!
    June 2007
    3,604 Posts
    Wow. Can Google sue for this? Both companies sell ad space. I'm excited to see how this pans out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 54Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    December 2009
    1,414 Posts
    Thats embarrassing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

10. Post #10
    May 2010
    1,917 Posts
    I can't believe my friend still supports MS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb x 41Agree x 3Funny x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    But... If it was using Google's search results, why was it still so rubbish?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 113Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,113 Posts
    Wow, that's just a stupid move on bing's/M$s' part.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    June 2010
    2,748 Posts
    For the query [juegosdeben1ogrande] we inserted a page of hip hop bling jewelry:
    Was I the only one that laughed at "hip hop bling jewelry"? It sounds so professional everywhere else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,870 Posts
    LOL I HAET M$.

*Use Windows operating system while making this post*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 87Dumb x 5Disagree x 4Zing x 1Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    December 2007
    576 Posts
    Google should make a fake word that brings up fake results, and see if bing copy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 11 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,456 Posts
    Google should make a fake word that brings up fake results, and see if bing copy.
    That's kind of what they did here. Did you read the thread? They used a obscure mis-spelling/ word that a user wouldn't, linked it to some real results (with the mis-spelling warning) and Bing managed to get the exact results without the mis-spelling warning, meaning it just copies what Google returns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,201 Posts
    Since people can't read here's another informative picture
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 43Agree Agree x 7Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    May 2006
    1,816 Posts
    This will be very interesting...

19. Post #19
    December 2009
    4,442 Posts
    So, I take it their code basically amounted to:
    -accept entered terms
    -google it
    -display results
    -profit

And I can't be the only one who thought the early bing commercials were stupid as fuck.
    "Oh! It's a choice engine! It lets you clarify if you mean a travel plane or mathematical plane! Or other!"
    Which, of course, it didn't.
    Besides adding in that one extra word.
    So... it was the exact same as Google.

Well, I guess now we know it IS the exact same as Google.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    May 2008
    941 Posts
    BAHAHAHHAHAHA
    No way!

21. Post #21
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,254 Posts
    LOL I HAET M$.

LOL I HAET M$.

uname -a
    Linux porygon 2.6.37 #4 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 30 11:31:03 CET 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

:colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Dumb Dumb x 41Zing Zing x 11Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    churboi austin
    October 2007
    13,083 Posts
    so i tried to stop using google but I'm still using at AHHH

23. Post #23

January 2011
    133 Posts
    LOL I HAET M$.

uname -a
    Linux porygon 2.6.37 #4 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan 30 11:31:03 CET 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

nobody cares
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 52Dumb x 7Winner x 2Disagree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    June 2008
    470 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,752 Posts
    Microsoft you sneaky bastards

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    That's fucking awesome.

Also, the only reason I'm not using Linux is because I don't have enough space on my old-ass hard drive to fit it.

27. Post #27
    April 2010
    1,039 Posts
    Jesus fuck stop calling them Micro$oft.

You aren't super edgy and cool. If you're trying to be funny then you don't understand humor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 56Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2010
    2,209 Posts
    Bing fucking sucks, it's a lame attempt from Microsoft to be like the next Google. It has not caught on yet and it never will. :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,201 Posts
    Bing fucking sucks, it's a lame attempt from Microsoft to be like the next Google. It will has not caught on yet and it never will. :colbert:
    What's wrong with Bing if its essentially Google?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    8,893 Posts
    slower
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

31. Post #31
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,461 Posts
    Google pays for their awesome hard and software,bing uses it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

32. Post #32
    September 2009
    2,474 Posts
    bing sucks anyways

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    March 2010
    140 Posts
    Fuck don't google tarsorrhaphy, the images are fucking disgusting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34

December 2006
    57 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,810 Posts
    It did this because Bing Toolbar tracks user's searches (Opt-In)

"Microsoft was defensive about the whole case, claiming that the Bing toolbar tracks users click data, providing the information back to Bing, providing the identical search results. Angered by the claims against Bing, Microsoft formally responded to Google by saying they "do not copy Google's results.""

36. Post #36
    August 2010
    351 Posts
    Looks like Some heads will roll
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    LOL I HAET M$.

I use windows I've always used it and the dev team for it did a decent job on windows 7

but stealing from google just because they don't have their own super nerds is just stupid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,350 Posts
    LOL I HAET M$.

uname -a

*combs neckbeard*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Zing Zing x 48Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    January 2010
    3,938 Posts
    I hope Google kicks the shit out of Microsoft in court.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    I think deep inside Microsoft they love Google but don't want to show that Google is gaining more popularity than them.

Why Microsoft and Google just be friends? Oh yeah....Money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)