1. Post #1
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts

A few months ago I was inspired by hexxeh's initiative to write a Facepunch application for the iPhone and Android. I was looking forward to it, but it seemed too much as if he was neglecting the Android version. That's when I decided to start working on my own version.

Progress

Here is a list of the currently planned features and the most likely order of development.

[list][*]Forum browsing Done[*]Thread viewing Mockup[*]Popular threads[*]Logging in[*]Read threads and go to last read post[*]Posting and creating threads[*]Rating[*]Search forums[*]Private messaging[/list]I will update this list when features are finished or require an overhaul.

General info

The final application will be completely free and will not include advertisement of any form whatsoever. The current minimum target is Android 2.1, but this will lower in the future when it's more clear which functionality this application will make use of.

There is no release date, but every time a significant change is made, there will be a new alpha version to try out.

Media

Here are screenshots of what is working (not necessarily finished) so far:

They were captured on my own HTC Desire running Android 2.2 Froyo.

Beta testing

It would be fantastic if people with devices as diverse as possible would test this application, so that I can develop an application everyone will be able to use. Other important matters are ease of use, stability and of course efficiency.

Before you apply for beta testing, keep in mind that many features are still lacking and that you will not whine about not being able to post, use the ticker, etc. I am making this in my free time and I have other work to do too.

Instructions

[list=1][*]Download the Facepunch for Android application.[*]When you run the application, you will see the following popup:

[*]Send the code between the parentheses to me by PM and I will enable beta access for you as soon as possible. You will receive a reply when you've entered the beta.[/list]
    With that said, I hope you'll like the app and I'm looking forward to your ideas and suggestions!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Winner x 55Useful x 4Dumb x 2Artistic x 2Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,226 Posts
    Do want.

Edit: Got the beta. HOLY SHIT THIS IS FAST.

Alright, here's my first-impression bug report. Galaxy S Fascinate on 2.1.
    Title bar is good but he mail and search icons are very pixelated/blurry.
    When viewing threads, posts don't wrap to the next line so there's no way to read them without clicking.
    Everyone's avatar is Justin Bieber.
    Scrolling is a little choppy, even on the fastest smartphone in the world.
    Pictures don't show up.
    None of the title buttons work.
    You have to press the back button twice to exit the app.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2008
    380 Posts
    Downloaded. Installed. PM'd and in, looking great so far. Defiantly speedier than the website.
    Will be giving it a bit more use at college tomorrow to see whats what.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4
    Wingless is awesome. Also, View my site
    February 2010
    5,836 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    7,212 Posts
    Will it include a free Argumented Reality app so I can quickly browse to arguments you've gotten yourself in?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 16Zing Zing x 8Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    stuck at loading forums
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Downloaded. Installed. PM'd and in, looking great so far. Defiantly speedier than the website.
    Will be giving it a bit more use at college tomorrow to see whats what.
    Read the OP, I didn't make the thread view yet.

stuck at loading forums
    Hmm, seems to happen sometimes. You gotta use a task manager to shut it down, sorry :v.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    yeah it's not getting past loading forums, I've got an HTC Hero CDMA running aospCMod (gingerbread) the 1/28/11 build.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    13,897 Posts
    Applied and ready.
    My Droid is hungry for some Facepunch, even if it's a beta.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts

Hmm, seems to happen sometimes. You gotta use a task manager to shut it down, sorry :v.
    I did, brought it back up and it still doesn't seem to be working

edit:

working now

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    13,897 Posts
    Hot damn this thing is speedy!
    I have to disagree ilolled about the choppy scrolling, it's pretty smooth for me.

12. Post #12
    October 2008
    380 Posts
    I realise, I was just posting a screenshot.

odly the top bar looks fine on my desires screen but not in my screenshot.

13. Post #13
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I realise, I was just posting a screenshot.
    Sorry . Should I make the thread bars open the thread in the web browser for now or keep it like this?

14. Post #14
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    2,870 Posts
    I shall PM you my code in a bit
    Do you have paypal so I can donate to you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I shall PM you my code in a bit
    Do you have paypal so I can donate to you?
    Yes, I have Paypal: overv161@gmail.com.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart
    November 2007
    7,702 Posts
    am i missing something or can you not go to page 2/3/whatever of threads or forum display
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

17. Post #17
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    am i missing something or can you not go to page 2/3/whatever of threads or forum display
    Nope, you can't go to other pages yet. I will add pages of forums tomorrow. And the thread display is not currently part of testing.

18. Post #18
    fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart
    November 2007
    7,702 Posts
    not to mention there's no text wrapping = posts can't be read if they're too long without tapping them

or images not displaying

i know thread displaying isn't done yet but that's just something to look towards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    I like how subforums are on top

Edited:

will there be a sort of image compression thing? sort of like Opera Mini's image compression, I mean
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    October 2008
    380 Posts
    Will there be any way to get to the oify in the future. Konami code?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,571 Posts
    Been eagerly waiting for this. Finally Facepunch is getting some Android love.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,615 Posts
    DLing now.

23. Post #23
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I like how subforums are on top

Edited:

will there be a sort of image compression thing? sort of like Opera Mini's image compression, I mean
    What do you mean?

Will there be any way to get to the oify in the future. Konami code?
    Yeah, something like that.

24. Post #24
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    2,870 Posts
    Yes, I have Paypal: overv161@gmail.com.
    Sent you $5
    Now to PM you me Beta Code
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    7,762 Posts
    Wow man, this is going to be great once its up and running fully!

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    What do you mean?
    Opera mini has a feature where all the images are sent through a server and compressed before they're sent to the device. the only problem I can think of is that I don't know of a way to do this cheaply, unless there is already an online service for this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Opera mini has a feature where all the images are sent through a server and compressed before they're sent to the device. the only problem I can think of is that I don't know of a way to do this cheaply
    Sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure yet how to go about images in posts. Whether to load them immediately or have a button like in GMail.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    Sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure yet how to go about images in posts. Whether to load them immediately or have a button like in GMail.
    You should certainly have a button. Shit's annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #29
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Yeah, my policy is to make it only use bandwidth when the user wants that and is aware of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,138 Posts
    Froyo 2.2.1 Galaxy S here.

It's blazing fast so far but that's Wifi. Will test out more.

So far the only thing I found is that hitting "event log" doesn't display "not part of the beta yet" but rather just crashes the app.

An idea for acessing subforumgs: Sliding to the left and right over the parent forums they are in. But maybe that's too slow compared to two clicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

31. Post #31
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    7,762 Posts
    Or make it an option in the settings or something. Like in the settings for image options, you can change it between two behaviors. Always display images, or ask before downloading.

You need to make it bandwidth friendly because not everyone has unlimited 3G access. It is a mobile app after all.

32. Post #32
    November 2009
    3,535 Posts
    Can I get into the beta? I have a Samsung intercept, which has a 400 x 240 screen, so I can test it out on that.

33. Post #33
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Or make it an option in the settings or something. Like in the settings for image options, you can change it between two behaviors. Always display images, or ask before downloading.

You need to make it bandwidth friendly because not everyone has unlimited 3G access. It is a mobile app after all.
    Yeah, there will be different settings for Wifi and 3G. For example, images would load instantly on Wifi, but ask when you're on a mobile network.

Can I get into the beta? I have a Samsung intercept, which has a 400 x 240 screen, so I can test it out on that.
    Send me a PM with your code.

34. Post #34
    CoderHire
    November 2007
    1,466 Posts
    The header bar looks blurry and has some white lines across it on the Desire HD. I'll try get a pic, but I can't take a screenshot because my phone isn't rooted.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    There's a Facepunch app for every mobile OS except Symbian.
    Show us some love too. :crying:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    The header bar looks blurry and has some white lines across it on the Desire HD. I'll try get a pic, but I can't take a screenshot because my phone isn't rooted.
    is dithering enabled? that might fix your problem

37. Post #37
    November 2007
    7,702 Posts
    There's a Facepunch app for every mobile OS except Symbian.
    Show us some love too. :crying:
    what the hell is symbian
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny x 17Agree x 9Zing x 4Disagree x 2Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    November 2009
    3,535 Posts
    Alright, so one thing I've noticed right away is that the thread titles and authors are very blurry. One thing I suggest is adding an option to make the thread "box" bigger for phones with a smaller resolution, or an option to make the picture before the thread disappear (but make the background for the thread in the thread "box" have a slightly red tinge for threads marked with the NSFW tag).

39. Post #39
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    2,870 Posts
    what the hell is symbian
    Symbian is an open source operating system and software platform designed for smartphones and maintained by Nokia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I'll have a look at all of the GUI issues tomorrow. I have to go now (2:24 AM). I will accept beta requests again tomorrow morning.