1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    771 Posts
    Well Microsoft recently announced their new platform and its looking awesome! Here's a list of my favorite hardware shown at the event. Without further delays lets get started.

HTC HD7

This is basically the HTC HD2 but with Windows phone 7 on it. Looks kickin rad with it's 4.3 inch 480 x 800 display. Shoots 720p video and takes 5MP photos. Too bad it doesn't have an OLED screen or it would be perfect.

HTC 7 PRO

Cool 3.6 inch 480 x 800 phone with a unique slide out keyboard. The upwards tilt looks very useful when typing. People who attended the event are also claiming the keyboard is a joy to type on because of its staggered design.

Samsung Omnia 7

I really like this one, mainly because of its huge 4 inch OLED display. This phone almost makes up for the HD7 not having one. looks nice and sleek. 720p video and 5MP photos.

Samsung Focus

Also a great one with the same size OLED display as the Omnia. This one is apparently the slimmest Windows Phone announced so far at only 9.9mm think.

HTC 7 Surround

This is a very unique one, instead of a slide out keyboard it has a slide out stereo speaker made by Dolby. Also has a kickstand so you can watch movies or listen to music nicely with it standing on its own. 480 x 800 resolution.

These phones certainly look very cool. Can't wait to get my hands on one.
    If you guys have any more info tell me so i can add it in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,184 Posts
    holy fuck

i don't even like cellphones much but this

goddamn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2010
    2,809 Posts
    I like the fact that the minimum requirements for Mobile 7 is far higher than the power of an iPhone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    9,181 Posts
    Do want the keyboard one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    902 Posts
    Holy shit. The HTC Pro 7 definitely looks like it's gonna replace my Touch Pro 2. I never though I would find a replacement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    October 2007
    608 Posts

hnnnngg, Dell Venue Pro.

I liked the name Lightning better, but I'm thinking this is going to be my next phone. Engadget hands-on video here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,776 Posts
    Apparently Copy/Paste for WP7 isn't coming until 2011. They really are following in Apple's footsteps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    I'm getting the Samsung Omnia 7 when its released here next week. Apparently the Samsung Focus device comes with a second micro SD slot which you can use to expand the storage up to 40GB, I'm hoping the Samsung Omnia 7 does too then it would be perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #9
    September 2010
    742 Posts
    hmmm definitely think i just found myself a replacement phone lol like the first one it looks shiny :woop:

10. Post #10
    May 2007
    1,121 Posts
    The sad part is that the CDMA carriers, that are gonna get these phones, isn"t being released yet, well, at least for the U.S. market.

Can't wait to get one :D:

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    I don't really like the look of it but I think once I've tried it, it will be cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Guernsey Show Events

12. Post #12
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,094 Posts
    I don't really like the look of it but I think once I've tired it, it will be cool
    I've used the emulator, and it's really nice.
    Everything is just right where you expect it to be, and the animations are smooth as silk.

Edited:

To use an Apple slogan: "You just do".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,084 Posts
    Me likey. I'm in the market for a new phone, maybe I might get one of these over an android phone if I like the software and third party applications, and of course if the price is right,

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,886 Posts
    I've been thinking of getting a new phone for a while now. I was thinking of getting a HTC HD7, but I was a bit letdown by it having a larger screen than an iPhone 4, yet a lower resolution.
    Also wasn't there talk about quad-core mobiles coming in like 2011? If so, duals should be arriving pretty soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    713 Posts
    I really want that HTC HD7, it looks really great.

16. Post #16
    I LIKE BIG DUCKS AND I CANNOT LIE, YOU OTHER QUACKS CAN'T DENY
    December 2008
    13,248 Posts
    HTC HD7 looks really nice.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,369 Posts
    I guess I'll be going with either one of the Samsung phones or the HD7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,776 Posts

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,545 Posts
    WP7 is...interesting. The UI is much better than androids and comes close to iOS and webOS; but I'm pretty sure they made it different specifically so they were hard to compare. Every app I've seen so far looks EXACTLY THE GODDAMN SAME though. Like, I'm not even exaggerating. Every once and a while an app will have a red background instead of a black (Netflix), but besides that, it's all cut-off white text on black backgrounds and action buttons. It's going to get boring quickly.

And what a waste of space on the home screen, that arrow really gets me.

Edited:

I like the fact that the minimum requirements for Mobile 7 is far higher than the power of an iPhone.
    Code:
    Capacitive, 4-point multitouch screen with WVGA (800x480) resolution
    1 GHz ARM v7 "Cortex/Scorpion" or better processor
    DirectX9 rendering-capable GPU
    256MB of RAM with at least 8GB of Flash memory
    Accelerometer with compass, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor and Assisted GPS
    5-megapixel camera with flash
    FM radio tuner
    6 dedicated hardware buttons - back, Start, search, camera, power/sleep and Volume Up and Down
    No..? The only thing is that WP7 requires more dedicated buttons and a GPU that supports DirectX 9, and the minimum resolution is lower than that of the Retina Display
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,332 Posts
    Here's my stance on Windows Phone 7.

I've always been attracted to the platform with most apps, most developers. Apple's iOS is currently that platform, and is pretty much the only viable one at that at this time. Android's mess is due to tremendous fragmentation and thus, something like 80% of the apps suck. This is a pretty big issue that will pretty much never be solved, so Android's out of the question.

Then comes in WP7. It takes Android's weaknesses and fixes them. For one, there should be no fragmentation as every phone is pretty much the same specs, running the same software. An application store would have apps that work on all devices within a certain generation at least. It's not as open, sure, but the average customer really doesn't give a shit.

So where I am at right now is that I want WP7 to win. I'm fed up with my 3G and I want another platform. WebOS is pretty much dead, as is Symbian and RIM's software in terms of application availability. Android is a fragmented mess that can't guarantee I get my software updates on the same year they come out (my fucking 3G still gets 4.2 the millisecond it comes out,) so that leaves WP7. I want developers to go fucking crazy with WP7. I want it to flourish just like Windows did over other platforms. The day WP7 apps surpass iOS apps is the day I move and never look back. The OS is endlessly impressive, but your OS might as well be the best in the world and it's still going to be shit if there are not that many apps for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,776 Posts
    Here's my stance on Windows Phone 7.

I've always been attracted to the platform with most apps, most developers. Apple's iOS is currently that platform, and is pretty much the only viable one at that at this time. Android's mess is due to tremendous fragmentation and thus, something like 80% of the apps suck. This is a pretty big issue that will pretty much never be solved, so Android's out of the question.

Then comes in WP7. It takes Android's weaknesses and fixes them. For one, there should be no fragmentation as every phone is pretty much the same specs, running the same software. An application store would have apps that work on all devices within a certain generation at least. It's not as open, sure, but the average customer really doesn't give a shit.

So where I am at right now is that I want WP7 to win. I'm fed up with my 3G and I want another platform. WebOS is pretty much dead, as is Symbian and RIM's software in terms of application availability. Android is a fragmented mess that can't guarantee I get my software updates on the same year they come out (my fucking 3G still gets 4.2 the millisecond it comes out,) so that leaves WP7. I want developers to go fucking crazy with WP7. I want it to flourish just like Windows did over other platforms. The day WP7 apps surpass iOS apps is the day I move and never look back. The OS is endlessly impressive, but your OS might as well be the best in the world and it's still going to be shit if there are not that many apps for it.
    I doubt WP7 will ever surpass iOS in apps though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,332 Posts
    I doubt WP7 will ever surpass iOS in apps though.
    Hey, they said the same about Windows and Mac in the 80's, you never know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    The current app count will be 1000 by launch day apparently, that's about 1000 more than the iPhone launched with, so you never know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,776 Posts
    The current app count will be 1000 by launch day apparently, that's about 1000 more than the iPhone launched with, so you never know.
    I thought it was 2000.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    I thought it was 2000.
    Yea that's what was initially said, but apparently they have lowered their expectations.

26. Post #26
    April 2010
    525 Posts
    man the ui looks sexy as fuck, glad they're using the zune design.

anyone know if these are coming to canada? i'll be pissed if not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

27. Post #27
    Diamond Member
    May 2005
    3,332 Posts
    man the ui looks sexy as fuck, glad they're using the zune design.

anyone know if these are coming to canada? i'll be pissed if not.
    Yes. To Telus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

28. Post #28

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    I went into my local town today at lunch to take a look, I went in a 3 store first, they didn't have any Omnia's and no idea when they will get them in. I went to an Orange shop, they don't have any WP7's and no idea when they will be getting them.

Then I went to O2 and they had a HD7, they said they had 6 in stock and all have been pre-ordered, I had a play with a demo unit and it turns out the HD7 has 16GB of internal memory even though HTC's own site says 8GB for Europe. Now I'm not sure what to get, the HD7 with more storage and bigger screen and imo better looking handset (although the screen was pretty bad, extremely dull) or the Omnia 7 less storage smaller screen slightly cheaper looking handset but much much better screen.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,369 Posts
    Get the Omnia, fuck the design, make love to the screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,218 Posts
    I went into my local town today at lunch to take a look, I went in a 3 store first, they didn't have any Omnia's and no idea when they will get them in. I went to an Orange shop, they don't have any WP7's and no idea when they will be getting them.

Then I went to O2 and they had a HD7, they said they had 6 in stock and all have been pre-ordered, I had a play with a demo unit and it turns out the HD7 has 16GB of internal memory even though HTC's own site says 8GB for Europe. Now I'm not sure what to get, the HD7 with more storage and bigger screen and imo better looking handset (although the screen was pretty bad, extremely dull) or the Omnia 7 less storage smaller screen slightly cheaper looking handset but much much better screen.
    Don't you get 25GB in the cloud as well as the internal storage? I heard the screen, while large is low quality. If you've seen it in person you can better judge for yourself. I like my HD2 but the screen could be smaller at times, great seeing so much on screen. If you do heavy browsing and have large hands, the HD7 might be for you.

In regards to the phones, they seem to have sold most at bigger stores and the rest online for the meantime.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,545 Posts
    because when the iPhone launched, having apps at launch wasn't the standard, the app revolution didn't really even start until iPhone OS 2.0.

still; looking forward to seeing how successful this is and if it'll be worth Microsoft's money (and mine). I still have how repetitive the UI is, and how every single app for WP7 i've seen looks exactly the same

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Well, I'm going to get one today, still not sure whether to go for the HD7 or the Omnia 7, Hopefully one of the many phone shops will have a Omnia 7 as I have yet to see one in the flesh, I think as soon as I see the screen I may get one.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    If there is ever an Android, Windows Phone 7 dual boot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Guernsey Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2005
    496 Posts
    Dear god, I hope Opera or Mozilla gets onto making an application that will replace internet explorer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,369 Posts
    because when the iPhone launched, having apps at launch wasn't the standard, the app revolution didn't really even start until iPhone OS 2.0.

still; looking forward to seeing how successful this is and if it'll be worth Microsoft's money (and mine). I still have how repetitive the UI is, and how every single app for WP7 i've seen looks exactly the same
    Every single app looks the same? Most of the games on appstore is either a variation of some other game, but now with flying donuts instead of stars, or a fart app.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Jeez I just spent 30 minutes calling 200 different Orange, 3, T mobile and O2 stores within a 20 mile radius, only 2 had WP7's in lol.

38. Post #38
    October 2007
    608 Posts
    The UI is much better than androids and comes close to iOS and webOS; but I'm pretty sure they made it different specifically so they were hard to compare. Every app I've seen so far looks EXACTLY THE GODDAMN SAME though. Like, I'm not even exaggerating. Every once and a while an app will have a red background instead of a black (Netflix), but besides that, it's all cut-off white text on black backgrounds and action buttons. It's going to get boring quickly.
    I think that consistency is a very good thing. Microsoft have developed a design language which they're trying to keep consistent throughout applications. During the recent conference, Steve underscored several times that they're paying very close attention to the user experience of the phone, and I think consistent user interface is important to that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,140 Posts
    Got me a HTC HD7, I looked at the Omnia 7 and imo the SuperAMOLED screen wasn't worth the trade off of half the storage and smaller screen and a worse looking handset imo.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,545 Posts
    Every single app looks the same? Most of the games on appstore is either a variation of some other game, but now with flying donuts instead of stars, or a fart app.
    UI wise..as in, every single app has the Metro UI (which is okay, sometimes..) but I haven't seen a single app without it. White text on a black bg (and, surprise! sometimes a red bg!), cutoff text, etc..it's gonna get boring really quickly.