1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    Hey Facepunch...
    I'm a 2D Games Developer and I can't help but feel I have hit a Developers Block (This is kind of like Writers Block only for developers)...

Anyway, I need some help. Could you give me some ideas for games?
    Please don't flame...

2. Post #2

March 2010
    4,109 Posts
    make something that uses your avatar?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,974 Posts
    A communist state simulator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2009
    2,137 Posts
    Remake Halo ODST in 2D.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,482 Posts
    Yeah try a demake, where you take a more complicated game and remake it with less technology
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,250 Posts
    A communist state simulator.
    Press X to execute democrats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 36Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    I was looking for a more sort of original concept, not that remakes haven't been done a million times before, but I want something different. A communist state simulator doesn't seem like much of a game but, you know, whatever...

8. Post #8
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,653 Posts
    An indiana jones like game!

You got a tomb, and you need to get from A to B while jumping and shooting your way out of it, solving puzzles and swinging around.

Would be awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    Do some sort of RTS, those are always awesome, and most are practically 2D already
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,974 Posts
    Do some sort of RTS, those are always awesome, and most are practically 2D already

PhysicsBased RTS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    September 2009
    1,359 Posts
    Make a roguelike, but add something that makes it different from all other roguelikes.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    PhysicsBased RTS
    That would be pretty awesome, have weapons that can have blast effects, destructible terrain like walls and stuff, and large unit capacity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    PhysicsBased RTS
    So... Advanced Worms... Basically...

14. Post #14
    September 2010
    478 Posts
    Do a side scroller where a guy kills aliens.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    I was thinking of a side scrolling platform game, but make it fully modifiable... So I would release an GDK too, allowing you to create your own images for weapons and players, edit the way the particles look and their behaviours and have a sound editor too.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,502 Posts
    Here is an idea.

Imagine you are a blob. A small, cute, white blob.

You live in a giant steam-punk universe, where everything is working using gears and steam.

You have the ability to split yourself into two blobs. When you cut yourself in half, you create two small blobs that have colors. You can control each of them independently by using a switch key.

Your goal is to find the stuck gears in each level and to reactivate them by "greasing" them by jumping on them.. You must evolve in complex plateform levels, use fine steam streams to propel yourself, avoid spikes, mechanical creatures, and stuff.

From time to time, you get the ability to split yourself into one more blob, slowly making you bigger and bigger.

Another specification would be that the smallest blobs you create can crawl on walls, while bigger ones can activate certain switches that requires weight, the biggest one being able to smash through some objects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 8Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    December 2007
    133 Posts
    Naw dude, make a sim-coliseum. You own a coliseum, and you have to make entertaining shows for people, by both conceiving entertaining deadly challenges for prisoners, and hiring spectacular "professional" gladiators to make the most money from the people viewing the sport.

And it doesn't just have to be Roman-themed either. You can like, buy dinosaurs for people to fight, and robots, and mythical monsters and shit. Also, every weapon ever invented, or not yet invented.

Also would be really cool if people could actually watch how the fights play out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,502 Posts
    Naw dude, make a sim-coliseum. You own a coliseum, and you have to make entertaining shows for people, by both conceiving entertaining deadly challenges for prisoners, and hiring spectacular "professional" gladiators to make the most money from the people viewing the sport.

And it doesn't just have to be Roman-themed either. You can like, buy dinosaurs for people to fight, and robots, and mythical monsters and shit. Also, every weapon ever invented, or not yet invented.

Also would be really cool if people could actually watch how the fights play out.
    He's looking for a 2d plateformer, not a sim game.

Otherwise I like your idea.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    360 Posts
    Garry's Mod 2D.

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    December 2009
    4,096 Posts
    Garry's Mod 2D.
    Been done.

Although an utter shit.

21. Post #21
    September 2009
    2,043 Posts
    I always wanted a 2d RPG like Zelda II, not top view

22. Post #22
    wait.. using [color] tags counts towards characters used? fuck. I have like 4 spa
    June 2005
    9,059 Posts
    I loved the part where you had to explain what 'Developers Block' is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2010
    1,125 Posts
    zombies hords of zombies

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    December 2009
    4,096 Posts
    Sidescrolling shooter with destructible environments and physics!

25. Post #25
    July 2010
    1,125 Posts
    Sidescrolling shooter with destructible environments and physics!
    with zombies

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,577 Posts
    Two ideas for ya:

You're a recently dead ghost, you're trapped in purgatory and have to find your way to the afterlife. However, the only way to advance is to possess living things and make them clear the way. And you have to avoid shit like ghosts and ghostbuster-esque hunters.

OR A standard sidescroller with basic RPG mechanics. The difference being that when you level up the world around you changes rather than the character. The backgrounds, enemies and objects look and act differently as you advance both in level and how far you are in the game.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    Well, I did love the film the Frighteners... Maybe that could help me develop some concepts.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,502 Posts
    The ghost thing would look a lot like cortex command, wouldn't it ?

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts

?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,502 Posts
    Yup. Remotely control units, this kind of things.

Edited:

What did you think about my idea by the way ?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    Hmm. Well, anyone else got any ideas? Do you like the customisable features?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,952 Posts
    make something that uses your avatar?
    This, sort of like a 2d madballs platformer

33. Post #33
    August 2009
    6,819 Posts
    I was thinking of a game(I don't have the ability to code nor animate it so meh) that involves skickfigures (uniquely drawn) that had different powers like fire, electricity, earth(the abilty to control rocks and break the ground), and water. Where each had unique element based passive abilities (sort of like tonics from Bioshock, but more physical) apart from their actual powers.

Oh and it was story driven, If you're interested I'll respond tommorow since I'm going to sleep.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    Madballs looks alrightish... I like the idea of the elements but definitely not stick men.

35. Post #35
    September 2009
    6,525 Posts
    I was thinking of a side scrolling platform game, but make it fully modifiable... So I would release an GDK too, allowing you to create your own images for weapons and players, edit the way the particles look and their behaviours and have a sound editor too.
    Cortex Command?

36. Post #36
    August 2009
    2,875 Posts
    I always thought that a side scroller with powder game elements would be cool. Like add a story mode to what's usually a sandbox game. It would be cool getting whatever element you needed to get rid of a waterfall or take care of a room of enemies or something like that. Just a thought.

37. Post #37
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,823 Posts
    I was looking for a more sort of original concept, not that remakes haven't been done a million times before, but I want something different. A communist state simulator doesn't seem like much of a game but, you know, whatever...
    Are you kidding? These ridiculous concepts are typically loads of fun. Seriously, make a communist state simulator with an X button to execute Democrats and tons of ridiculous achievements and other things and you will be god among men.

That could actually be the entire game, just rapidly pressing the X button but with different randomly selected twists. Like timed presses, hold presses, don't press, etc.

The entire game is timed, like 60 seconds or something, with Communist allegiance music played in the background while sound effects play when you do different things, and the game is really fast paced and crazy.

You get different amounts of points for not accidentally executing another Communist, how well you time the presses, whether you press or not when you're not supposed to, etc.

At the end, you get ranked among other communists of the world depending on how well you did, like Lenin, Stalin, Putin, Mao Zedong, etc.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,429 Posts
    How about an agility-based shooter? The player character dies quickly, but has the ability to jump extreme heights and distances off of pretty much any angled surface. The challenge is in avoiding enemy fire, while being able to accurately fire yourself. I don't think I've ever seen a game like that.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,963 Posts
    Procedurally generated sidescroller where you can build your own empire and go to war with other empires around you for more land and resources. The environments are destructible. You can control multiple units like squads and tell them to perform a task as a group such as mining, clear-cutting or fighting. You can also assume direct control of any unit you want.

Just took an idea off the top of my head.

40. Post #40
    October 2009
    1,543 Posts
    Make a sidescroller with a mapeditor, and let people upload their maps and their highscores on them somewhere so people can compete and junk