1. Post #1
    June 2010
    191 Posts
    This gamemode is currently in Alpha, it is constantly being updated and is nowhere near finished!

Please note this gamemode is complete a rewrite Sunrise, and doesn't contain a single line of code from it! However it maybe considered a Sunrise 2.

Server open alpha currently running at 213.5.182.21:27015

You may have heard of Sunrise, to be specific Devinity is a continuation on from Sunrise: a new era, made by the same developers. Sunrise: A new Era was never finished so they (Portalcake and Killers2) set out to improve it and get it into a completed state.
    Currently, this gamemode is no where near completion as it is still in the alpha stage, and will have many future updates.
    Devinity has been in development for a long time, going through many massive updates and overhauls, so much that you would barely be able to tell the new and old versions used to be the same gamemode.
    It is a unique combination of gameplay elements from games such as EVE: online and Freelancer, but with many of our own elements added in, further enhancing the player experience.

[release]
    Features
    I am not going to give a long winded description of Devinity, instead I will describe some of the elements of gameplay.
    I can't go describing all the new features added, as there are so many. Note: ID= In development.

A large, dynamic multiverse
    Devinity's galaxies appear to be a size never before thought possible in Garry's Mod.
    It would take you a decent amount of time to cross from one side of the galaxy to another, hence making space a vast explorable area.
    Apart from this the galaxies are forever changing; asteroid belts shift, factions claim territory, new space stations appear and pirates move from one place to another.

Missions
    Feel like earning some money in a more interesting way? Talk to the Missions NPC and commit to a mission, once you manage to complete it you can go back to the station to collect a cash reward.
    You could do things such as killing a certain number of pirates, or delivering packages to earn some cash. More and more missions will be implemented as development progresses.

Pirates
    In Devinity NPC pirates roam the abyss, searching for vulnerable players to pillage.
    They could be your worst nightmare, or you could take them to your advantage.
    'Pirate Hunting' is commonplace in Devinity, often done with friends you can go around searching for pirates to kill, you will have to be careful though as many of these pirates are extremely skilled and can wipe you out in seconds.
    You get the Pirates bounty when you open up their wreck, this varies on how powerful the pirate is.
    If you are doing this with friends you can go to the station and use the bank to share the dosh around.

Station
    Note: A new, even better station is coming soon.

In the center of the galaxy there is a large, walk-around space station. This has many purposes:
    - Buying and selling things such as minerals and weapons.
    - Storing money in the bank and exchanging it with other players.
    - Interacting with other players; this could be just messing around, or perhaps playing minigames(ID).
    - Forging weapons. (ID)
    - Observing space (ID)
    - Requesting missions.
    - General messing around.

Advanced bank/money system
    In Devinity you can earn money in many ways, and you will need somewhere to store it all.
    You can keep your money safe from being taken if you get killed by storing it in the bank.
    In this bank you can also give or exchange money with other players.

Immersive combat system
    The combat system in Devinity allows you to have extensive and massive battles.
    Based of EVE's combat system, you can locate enemy ships, target them, and obliterate.
    As I said, you can have massive battles, the only limit to the amount of players in a battle is the player count in the server, so you could even see 64 vs 64 battles.
    With many factions present in Devinity, you will also see many large battles between them for territory and to resolve disputes.

Asteroid mining
    Like in EVE, you can mine Asteroids.
    However it isn't as easy as it may seem.
    There are many different minerals spread out across the universe, some massively more valuable than others.
    To reach these valuable minerals, you will have to travel deep into the outer reaches of space and battle many pirates on your way.
    It is a risky business indeed.

Factions
    In Devinity you have the choice of joining a faction or creating your own.
    There is a fully fledged system set up to make this system as simple as possible for the player. These factions often have huge battles over territory, and allows new players to progress through the game easier.
    Factions are given their own space station, which can be handy when you want to claim territory. Later on you will be able to dock in these stations and set up turrets to protect your turf.

Player ships
    When you join the game you are given a basic shuttle to fly around in. This ship isn't capable of much and soon your will be wanting a new one.
    There is a plethora of ships available for purchase (due to the recent update there isn't as many, but they are being constantly added), which have a variety different stats to suit your style of play.
    These ships are customizable with different weapons, etc.

Complex weapon loadouts
    All ships have a certain number of weapons slots available, meaning you can have a variety of different loadouts to suit your style of play/
    For example if your a miner, you could have 6 T5 miners, or as a fighter you could have 6 Omega lasers, or if you wanted a mix you could have 3 of each.
    All of the weapons have certain 'Tiers'. For example a T1 mining laser would be the worst mining laser, and a T5 mining laser would be the best.
    This means you can upgrade your weapons as you make more money.

And oh so much more!
    [/release]

[release]
    Media
    I'm guessing many of you are going to skip reading the wall of text above to get to this, so enjoy!

Devinity - Cinematic Trailer 1 (in-game, filmed live as the battle went along) by Biohazard

Here's an assload of screenshots for you guys to enjoy:

[/release]

[release]
    FAQ:
    Is this Sunrise?
    It maybe considered 'Sunrise 2' but it is not the same code.

Is this hosted by Liberty Gaming?
    No!

Then who is it hosted by?
    It is hosted by Liquid Game; a mature community with many friendly members, with the resources to support this game mode to its full potential.

Can I apply to be a developer?
    Sure! Simply join up on the Liquid Game forum and post a topic in the Divinity section stating that you want to become one.

How far along is development on Devinity?
    It is quite early at this stage.

Developers
    PortalCake - Lua, Team leader
    Killers2 - Lua, minor mapping work.
    Pheonix Storms- Models/Textures.

Credits
    The LG team - Supporting this gamemode all the way!
    The Maw - Models, textures, effects
    Biohazard - Trailer, content of this thread
    Youaremea - Mapper.
    Dustpup - Mapper.
    Firegod - Mapper.

[/release]

TL;DR = Sunrise with new stuff coming soon.

Server: Coming Soon! (tempoarily down)
    Note: Screenshots are slightly out of date but still similar.

Link to forums: http://www.liquidgame.co.uk

Server open alpha currently running at 213.5.182.21:27015
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 17Dumb Dumb x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2008
    19 Posts
    Awesome, love the trailer :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2008
    1,318 Posts
    :cool: Awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Gonna make another trailer next week hopefully
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2010
    191 Posts
    Oh just a minor update for you.

I did not like how the sun was almost completely white so I made it slightly darker and bluer.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    SWAG KING 2014
    November 2008
    664 Posts
    You guys need a server host? I have a 18 slot Dedi

Edit:
    No Payment :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2010
    191 Posts
    No thanks, we have our own dedicated server with plenty of processing power spare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    677 Posts
    If you guys need some mapping work I might be able to help out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnVanSise

Edited:

Also, your forums won't let me register.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    June 2010
    191 Posts
    Thank you for the offer DaApocalypse, if we are ever stuck for mapping we will take that into consideration.

Edit: Why not?

10. Post #10
    I fucking love eggs!!!
    July 2007
    1,991 Posts
    Your forums produce a MySQL error when registering.

General Error
    SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Field 'user_arcade_permissions' doesn't have a default value [1364]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

11. Post #11
    April 2008
    19 Posts
    If you guys need some mapping work I might be able to help out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnVanSise

Edited:

Also, your forums won't let me register.
    You have to use something other than IE, like Google Chrome or FireFox.

12. Post #12
    I fucking love eggs!!!
    July 2007
    1,991 Posts
    You have to use something other than IE, like Google Chrome or FireFox.
    I use opera, but I'll swap to firefox to register.

Edited:

Still error with firefox

13. Post #13
    April 2008
    19 Posts
    I use opera, but I'll swap to firefox to register.

Edited:

Still error with firefox
    Got webhost on it to fix it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    118 Posts
    Nice FP Devinity Thread.

Btw:
    Developers
    Pheonix Storms- Models/Textures.
    Oh yeah.

15. Post #15
    I fucking love eggs!!!
    July 2007
    1,991 Posts
    Got webhost on it to fix it.
    Here's a fix..

In includes/functions_users.php
    Find
           $additional_vars = array(
                    'user_permissions'      => '',          

Change to
           $additional_vars = array(
                    'user_permissions'      => '',          
                    'user_arcade_permissions'       => '',

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    I had wondered where Phoenix Storms got to.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    677 Posts
    I've never played Eve, are these models a rip from that game or completely custom?

18. Post #18
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    To the guy above, all of these models are custom

Sorry about the SQL error guys, it's related to an arcade system we recently set up. Should be fixed soon. Also Pheonix Storms is a very new addition to our dev team, all the old ships (which are also sexy, you see them in the current trailer/screenshots) etc were made by the Maw, who is also a good modeler. So it should be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Here's a sample of his first models for Devinity, a terminal replacement:

PhoeniX-Storms posted:
    Hello guys! :) It's nice to be part of this project!
    I hope to make lot of models soon. consider I'm really busy with my project too. But when I run out of ideas I usually do something else like this :)

MODEL -
    IN-GAME -
    MAN COMPARISON -
    COLLISION MODEL -
    GLOWING IN THE DARK -
    Sexyness?

Also, is anyone interested in seeing an old gameplay video to see how much progress we have made over the past few months?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,570 Posts
    Looks pretty good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

20. Post #20
    I fucking love eggs!!!
    July 2007
    1,991 Posts
    Terminal looks epic in the dark.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,830 Posts
    What are you using for the model textures? Are they pulling them from from various materials or one per ship? Just curious.

Also good luck and hope it all goes well. Looks fun.

22. Post #22
    June 2010
    191 Posts
    I manually removed Arcade and registration appears to be working.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit: Various materials I believe.

23. Post #23
    May 2009
    850 Posts
    The screen material is a steal from Star Trek :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Greece Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,945 Posts
    Collision model for the terminal seems a bit OTT. But it looks good, would be nice to see some interactive 3d2d screens.

25. Post #25
    June 2010
    191 Posts
    The screen material is a steal from Star Trek :(
    Yeah we didn't have anything interesting to put on them so we let Phoenix decide.

Collision model for the terminal seems a bit OTT. But it looks good, would be nice to see some interactive 3d2d screens.
    We MIGHT try this in the future once we have got other things done.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,966 Posts
    Less mining more pew pew.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events

27. Post #27
    January 2008
    102 Posts
    Less mining more pew pew.
    There are tons of pirates you can pew pew, you can also have large faction wars to conquer new territories.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

28. Post #28
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    So guys, should I make another trailer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    816 Posts
    The maker of Deep Space Exploration (don't know why he's never shown a video) says that this looks the same as it did 6 months ago.

30. Post #30
    June 2010
    191 Posts
    No this is what it looked like 6 months ago.
    also development was halted until a few months ago.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,830 Posts
    How does the ship system work at the moment?

I am a little curious to see what it is. What I never liked about Sunrise, is that all the ships were availible and so long as you have the money you can buy any of them. Unfortunately that lead to the predestined path of a certain amount of ships that meant everyone practically had the same ship, doing the same thing, over and over again. A majority of the ships in game were never used.

I always tried to suggest the tech tree route. Where you buy one ship (starting with 0 skill lvls) and you build the ships skills, which in turn will lead to a specific brach, whether it be a fast/medium/slow, heavy/medium/light, or attack/balanced/miner ship. Given, also being able to buy stat-padded ships that already have certain skill levels to avoid the grinding.

Tired of being being a miner? Dock the ship and take out the fighter, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    April 2008
    19 Posts
    How does the ship system work at the moment?

I am a little curious to see what it is. What I never liked about Sunrise, is that all the ships were availible and so long as you have the money you can buy any of them. Unfortunately that lead to the predestined path of a certain amount of ships that meant everyone practically had the same ship, doing the same thing, over and over again. A majority of the ships in game were never used.

I always tried to suggest the tech tree route. Where you buy one ship (starting with 0 skill lvls) and you build the ships skills, which in turn will lead to a specific brach, whether it be a fast/medium/slow, heavy/medium/light, or attack/balanced/miner ship. Given, also being able to buy stat-padded ships that already have certain skill levels to avoid the grinding.

Tired of being being a miner? Dock the ship and take out the fighter, etc.
    What has kind of been added is a mixture of what the ships do, and they don't follow a certain path which means a 400k ship, could have a high energy, high weapon slot, low shields, a DPS (Damage per second) ship, but another ship at say 370k could have high shields, low damage, effectively a tank.

33. Post #33

May 2008
    50 Posts
    Ahm ....can i beta-tester ? this is my wildest dreams comming true ...
    this looks awsome ( except for the Star-Trek looking screens its kinda ..OLD-Sience...add me on steam , kennis942
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Well the server was open for all not so long ago, we just closed it down for an update and due to the fact that no one had acknowledged it's existence at the time, so you will have to wait. Also, the Dev server only lets Killers2, Portalcake and Dustpup in, so even I have to wait.

35. Post #35

May 2008
    50 Posts
    then ill hax steam and spoof my STEAM id to one of those...I MUST GET IN NUW!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    June 2010
    191 Posts
    then ill hax steam and spoof my STEAM id to one of those...I MUST GET IN NUW!
    Lol, patience when we have enough models and code done we will let you all come and play. :)

37. Post #37
    January 2009
    50 Posts
    Wow, that looks amazing. I would love to be a personal slave (aka tester) for you guys. I have past experience in alpha/beta testing add me on steam if you want apocalypsefu - i know how to root out the bugs and make decent bug reports =D

38. Post #38
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Wow, that looks amazing. I would love to be a personal slave (aka tester) for you guys. I have past experience in alpha/beta testing add me on steam if you want apocalypsefu - i know how to root out the bugs and make decent bug reports =D
    While we would have appreciated testers, the devs are our testers, and the players will report what little bugs there are when the server opens up.
    Killers and Portalcake like to polish the gamemode (or update in this case) to perfection before opening up the server.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,331 Posts
    I would assume the spelling mistake is intentional?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

40. Post #40
    April 2008
    19 Posts
    I would assume the spelling mistake is intentional?
    Indeed it is.