1. Post #1
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,941 Posts
    [h2]RELEASE DATE: JUNE 8TH 2012[/h2]
    VIRAL WEBSITES: https://www.weylandindustries.com/ http://www.projectprometheus.com/ NEW ONE http://www.whatis101112.com/ <--- STILL ONGOING

UPDATE: NEW Synopsis released:

Ridley Scott, director of “Alien” and “Blade Runner,” returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.
    The old one:
    Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life's ultimate mystery.

Well that barely answers anything.

Set for release on June 8th, 2012 (USA) this film marks Ridley Scott's return to the SCIFI genre, for which he made the incredible films BLADE RUNNER and ALIEN. The film started off as a prequel to ALIEN, since then, it's become extremely unclear if it still is. Michael Fassbender, one of the main stars, claims it is very related, and there have been many unconfirmed reports of xenomorphs and space jockeys being constructed for the film.

At the moment, besides the fact no-one can make up their mind as to this film being related to Alien or not, we don't know much about it. Except for the cast, which will consist of Noomi Rapace as the film's star, playing a character named "Elizabeth Shaw". Also in the film will be Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, and Charlize Theron.

David Lindelof, one of the writers for Lost, was hired to take on writing duties for this film. He ended up throwing out most of the old script and making something much bigger. Here's a recent interview with him, explaining this film (a little):

“It started as an ‘Alien’ prequel. That is what everybody wanted it to be. Obviously, Ridley Scott has not made a science fiction movie in 25 years, sinceBlade Runner, so the idea that he’s returning to this genre is huge. But there is a real issue which is – what is the state of the ‘Alien’ franchise at this point in our lives? There has been ‘Alien vs. Predator’ and all these things, and its been completely and totally diluted. I’ve always felt that really good prequels should be original movies.

And the sequels to those prequels should not be the movie which already exists because, with all due respect to anyone who makes a prequel, but why would you ruin the greatest twist in the history of cinema, “Luke, I am your father”, by showing me three movies which basically spoil that surprise. You can do movies which take place before ‘Star Wars’, but I don’t need to see the story of the Skywalker clan. Show me something else which I can’t guess the possible outcome of. There is no suspense in inevitability. So a true prequel should essentially proceed the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be.”

“And truth be told” – continued Lindelof – “it wasn’t script doctoring in the strictest sense because the draft that existed before I came on was written by this guy named Jon Spaihts and it was very good. And there were a lot of things in the movie, ‘Prometheus,’ which were Jon Spaihts’ and I feel like somewhere in the media reconstruction of this story, the tale is that I come in, I pitch an entirely new story, and its so original that everything else gets thrown out and that’s what we’re doing. In my brain, that’s not exactly what happened.

But I also do feel that this movie is the movie I would want to see as a fanboy, take place in that ‘Alien’ universe, which precedes the events of the original Alien, but is not necessarily burdened by all the tropes of that franchise with Facehuggers and Chestbursters, and all that stuff that I love… but its sorta like, we’ve seen it before, can we do something different this time? And thats the movie that Ridley wanted to make. And when you’re working with an auteur, you basically just shut your mouth and listen and try to transcribe and channel the vision of that person, and get out of the way.”

We don't know the rating or budget, either.

Another bit of info we have is that Neville Page, the designed who worked on the aliens in Avatar, Cloverfield, and Star Trek, will also be helping with this film to design something. Here's a recent quote from him in regards to working on this film:

"My approach is nervous," he said with a smile. "I approach Ridley with great nervous energy because it is such an undertaking. ['Alien'] was the movie that inspired everything for me, not just creature design, but filmmaking in general," he admitted. "It is a huge undertaking to try and take it to the next level; to make Ridley proud, to make [H.R.] Giger proud, there's a lot involved with that."

What about the amount of practical effects, which were largely relied upon and highly successful in the original "Alien," vs. the amound of CG effects he and Scott plan to use?

"I don't know, I can only asume that it's going to be like with ['Green Lantern']," said Page, who worked his magic with creature design on Hal Jordan and CO. "[We'll] use whatever it takes to make it look as good as it needs to look."

Ridley was just quoted as saying there's no xenomorphs in the movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=85253

On whether or not the original "xenomorph" will be seen in Prometheus:

No. Absolutely not...no way am I going back there...

Only space jockeys.

[h2]All the news below came about when the film was known only as a true prequel to Alien. It's status as such is currently unknown, as is if any of the below is still going to be true or not.[/h2]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea if this is gonna work or not. It has a lot working for and against it. But I really hope it works out and results in an awesome alien sequel which we haven't had in ages. For those that don't know, Ridley Scott was the director of Alien.

MTV Ridley Scott Interview posted:
    "It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair ... Our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says "There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out — what was that?" I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey — we call him the Space Jockey — I'm explaining who the space jockeys were ... [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life."

In an interview awhile back, Ridley described it as a "Whole new bag of tricks" so at least he's making an effort to give us something new. There's also the news that he's getting Giger, the guy that created the Alien design, to help out:

Cinematical posted:
    Scott says he'll be approaching H.R. Giger to talk creature designs in an effort to create something new because he feels, "The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out." Very interesting.

The one thing that has me unsure is if Ridley is gonna be able to pull this off or not. Sure he's the guy that made Blade Runner and Alien, but it's been ~24 years since he last made a scifi/fantasy movie, so hopefully he hasn't lost his touch. It's really sucks Dan O'Bannon, the guy that wrote the first, died last year. Would've been awesome to have had him on this as well. The guy that appears to be writing it I can't really make any decisions on, since this is his first film.

UPDATE: It's now confirmed to be two films, not just one. And they will be shot in 3D using updated "Avatar" cameras.

Hitflix interview with Ridley Scott posted:
    ... We asked him if he was going to considering shooting it in 3D, since most event movies at least have that conversation now. "Of course," he replied. "It will be in 3D." Can't really ask for a more direct confirmation than that. He talked about how the cameras he'll be using are already "moved beyond" what James Cameron used on his monster hit "Avatar," and how it will be easier for him as a result. "It took them four years [on "Avatar"], but now we can do it in two." ... Just as we were leaving, at the end of our "Robin Hood" Q&A, we mentioned again to him how we were curious to see what sort of prequel he might put together for "Alien," and he corrected us. "Prequels. Two films." He won't shoot them back-to-back, evidently, but they're developing two films that will build to the events of the first "Alien," and hoping to shoot the first one later this year.

UPDATE 2:

SO yeah, for those that still remember this: rumors had been going about that a certain script that was getting passed along the internet was the script for the film. I hadn't been hearing very good things about it but that doesn't matter anymore, as one of the writers for Lost was hired to do rewrites. But there are still some big problems going on now. Ridley wants a HUGE budgeted ($250 million), R rated movie. Fox wants that budget cut big time and a more commercial friendly rating of PG13. So now we just have to wait and see what exactly is going to happen with that. Hopefully this will all still be worth the wait.

UPDATE 3:

HR Giger is confirmed as being on board now, and the film will apparently be just ONE movie, and not the 2 parter we were expecting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly x 42Winner x 8Informative x 4Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2008
    978 Posts
    Sounds intriguing. I'll keep an eye on this one.

3. Post #3
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    Guess we'll find out where they came from.

Maybe since it's the original director of the first film it'll shut up all those morons who think that Predators made the Aliens, or that Predator and Alien are in the same universe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,941 Posts
    Guess we'll find out where they came from.

Maybe since it's the original director of the first film it'll shut up all those morons who think that Predators made the Aliens, or that Predator and Alien are in the same universe.
    I don't get why people say that just because some random comic book claims it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

5. Post #5
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,015 Posts
    Holy shit, I've always wanted to know more about the space jockeys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 45 (list)

6. Post #6
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    I don't get why people say that just because some random comic book claims it.
    I don't get how the expanded universe even has any fans at all, it's really shitty all around

But this, this has potential. I believe in Ridley Scott.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,850 Posts
    Interesting. I usually prefer in films to have something that we never find out as it might get you thinking, but whatever.

I'm also a bit unsure on the canon of this, the android doctor in 'Alien' said that the Facehuggers were the first aliens ever found by humans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,941 Posts
    Interesting. I usually prefer in films to have something that we never find out as it might get you thinking, but whatever.
    yeah. there was something really creepy about that unknown alien ship and that mysterious giant alien with it's chest exploded. but whatever, if this means a good alien sequel, i'm game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,186 Posts
    New alien movie? sweet

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,603 Posts
    Yesssssss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,001 Posts
    30 years? I thought it was there for much longer. It looked like that anyway.

12. Post #12
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Sounds interesting. Going to remain very skeptical though.

13. Post #13
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,941 Posts
    Some more news: Its going to be 3D. Not shitty post-production "Clash of the Titans" 3D, but shot in 3D using using apparently updated versions of the cameras used for "Avatar"

And it's not one, but two prequels. Won't be shot back-to-back

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-...shooting-in-3d
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Voted Facepunch's Most Beautiful
    October 2006
    19,339 Posts
    back to back.. reminds me of matrix reloaded/revolutions

not good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,249 Posts
    I'm also a bit unsure on the canon of this, the android doctor in 'Alien' said that the Facehuggers were the first aliens ever found by humans.
    For all Ash knew anyway, and who is to say the characters of this new movie will survive or even find their way back home, I mean look what happened to Ripley at the end of the first film alone. Not to mention she was the only one to survive past Aliens.

I have to wonder what they have planned for the 3D though and it'll be nice to see the man himself at the controls.

16. Post #16
    March 2010
    2,562 Posts
    Guys, is the Alien VS Predator cannon? If so then, humans discovered facehuggers first, indeed, since predators used them to farm aliens.

Also, the Space Jokey was carrying the facehuggers as if the ship was a farm, or a bombardier armed with eggs, or something like that.

Damn, can't wait.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,850 Posts
    Guys, is the Alien VS Predator cannon? If so then, humans discovered facehuggers first, indeed, since predators used them to farm aliens.

Also, the Space Jokey was carrying the facehuggers as if the ship was a farm, or a bombardier armed with eggs, or something like that.

Damn, can't wait.
    Aliens and predators shouldn't be in the same universe, Predator is set in modern times and alien is in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,060 Posts
    Aliens and predators shouldn't be in the same universe, Predator is set in modern times and alien is in the future.
    Wasn't their an Alien skull in the ship in Predator 2? Been a while since I watched it so can't remember that well. Although saying that I have no idea what the canon is, never looked into it beyond the films and games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    966 Posts
    I'm looking forward to this. If it is somehow butchered even with Scott and Giger on board I'll just pretend it never happened.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,451 Posts
    If it's not a sequel, it is either a prequel or a spin off.

Well since the original creator is returning to make the movie, I bet it is going to be awesome

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,877 Posts
    Hopefully Ridley Scott still has the talent to direct a good sci-fi film and doesn't make this Gladiator in space.

22. Post #22
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    Hopefully Ridley Scott still has the talent to direct a good sci-fi film and doesn't make this Gladiator in space.
    i would definitely see a movie called Gladiator in Space directed by ridley scott
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 35Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,941 Posts
    back to back.. reminds me of matrix reloaded/revolutions

not good
    I said its not back to back.

We don't even know if the two prequels are that related or not. Could be two different stories.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,095 Posts
    Honestly I don't want to know anything about the Space Jockey or where the Xenomorphs came from. It's one of those things that would spoil the mysteriousness of the first movie. I also don't like the idea of a new movie, even with Ridley Scott back at the helm. The atmosphere and gritty feel that the original Alien had was perfect. Everything from the acting to the effects, props and just overall cinematography was so real and authentic.

I don't care for the idea of a new film because no matter who is directing and working on it the modern film and special effects techniques used will never compare to what made the original film such a masterpiece. I don't care how advanced computer generated effects are, they will never compare to a guy with a big squib strapped to his chest and a puppet prop controlled by a guy with a stick hiding under a table in my opinion. And for the love of god I am so sick of those CGI Xenomorphs in the silly AvP movies and that 4th disgrace of a sequel that shall-not-be-named. They need to get a 8 foot guy back in the suit.

While I may end up eating my words and maybe even loosing thousands of dollars in bets, I'll remain sceptical that a new film will even compare to the level excellence the first film had. After all Alien is considered one of the most inspirational and well known science fiction films ever made. I doubt any hardcore Alien fan or film critic will go easy on a new film, especially one thats done by the original director.

Basically - Ridley Scott, don't fuck this up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 25Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 13Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    2,507 Posts
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29 (list)

27. Post #27
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    For all Ash knew anyway, and who is to say the characters of this new movie will survive or even find their way back home, I mean look what happened to Ripley at the end of the first film alone. Not to mention she was the only one to survive past Aliens.
    Obviously someone in The Company knew about the presence of alien life on that remote planetoid.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,899 Posts
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar VS Hulk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    February 2010
    233 Posts
    Obviously someone in The Company knew about the presence of alien life on that remote planetoid.

It's been years since I saw Alien so my memory is a bit hazy but I thought they picked up some kind of distress call which brought them out of deep freeze to investigate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    September 2009
    2,277 Posts
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar VS Hulk
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar VS Hulk VS Terminator
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,034 Posts
    I hope it won't, but it's probably going to be ruined by the 3D avatar-camera bullshit.

32. Post #32
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,037 Posts
    I hope it won't, but it's probably going to be ruined by the 3D avatar-camera bullshit.
    I disagree that it'll ruin it, but I do think it is completely unnecessary. If these two movies are being written to do anything more than milk the franchise then 3D should be left out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    now that i would pay top dollar to see
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,289 Posts
    I really hope this turns out good.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,670 Posts
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar VS Hulk VS Terminator
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar VS Hulk VS Terminator VS SNK

36. Post #36
    September 2009
    9,647 Posts
    Basically - Ridley Scott, don't fuck this up.
    110% agree
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar VS Hulk VS Terminator VS SNK
    Aliens VS Predator VS Batman VS Avatar VS Hulk VS Terminator VS SNK VS Doom
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,537 Posts
    Wasn't their an Alien skull in the ship in Predator 2? Been a while since I watched it so can't remember that well. Although saying that I have no idea what the canon is, never looked into it beyond the films and games.
    Was a debate in the Predators thread about this, I think. The actual Alien skull has two creepy-as-shit eye sockets on the front of it, the one in Predator 2 doesn't.

The skull found in pred 2:

The skull of the original Alien:

That skull being there was an homage, nothing more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,228 Posts
    I always wished they would make a prequel explaining what happened to that place where they first encountered the eggs on the first Alien.

But to be honest, there's a chance we might end up going "I'd rather they kept it a mystery than ruin it"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,560 Posts
    The one in Predator 2 does have eye sockets, but they're on the side.

Back on topic: This sounds like it could work.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,603 Posts
    I always wished they would make a prequel explaining what happened to that place where they first encountered the eggs on the first Alien.

But to be honest, there's a chance we might end up going "I'd rather they kept it a mystery than ruin it"
    that is what they are doing. They are going to explain the space jockeys and what happened to the derelict ship.