1. Post #281
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    cool on the contraption shield redesign.

In regards to the XYZ targeting you mentioned, is it possible in your imlpementation of this to add a "wait to lock" to the wire values?

Basically, this would result in the missle flying forward in the direction the launcher is facing for teh delay period beforei t turns and aquires whatever the XYZ coordinates are.

This would really be helpful in spacebuild or in naval wars where you have a strategic missle launcher inside your ship, but you dont want the missles to immediately track to a target since they'd inevitably hit the hull. A delay like this would give the missle time to get clear before it homes in.

Now, the reason why i'd suggest this over a simple timer/lock method is that if you try the timer/lock method on existing missle pods, like the SBEP ones, this results in the first missle getting clear, but every subsequent missle fired would smash into your hull anyway until you delay locking until the last one fires, at which point the first few missles have most likely already hit the environment or disspeared due to life expiration of the rocket.

By having an option on the launcher and programming a delay like that means each individual missle object created by the launcher will be on it's own personalized timer, so to prevent misfiring like this.

Does that make sense, or is my explanation too confusing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #282
    February 2009
    26 Posts
    can you make a tutorial on how to use all of it? because at first i thought it was like regular gcombat and you could wire these things up to like a button then use them like that, but when i tried it didnt work like that. and not everyone is good with wiremod and this clearly uses a lot of it.

3. Post #283
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    I have a bug to report;
    Contraption Shielding - I'm not sure what went wrong or why it broke but at first it would spawn the ball just fine but I couldn't get it to work. Then I realized I needed energy, but by that time I had removed it already. So I tried spawning a new one on the same contraption but it gave me an error in the console (forgot to copy it) and it spawned an ERROR model with the texture of the ball. So as you can guess I never got to try it out.

GCombat - I'm not sure if it is compatible now or not but when I tried using it it had no effect on shields what so ever.

CDE - I have GCombat but I'm not sure if CDE or GCombat is the one doing the damage but it seems it's GCombat.

SBMP Weapons - Not compatible.

I know this is alpha or beta or whatever and I couldn't be arsed to read 8 pages, I just thought I would report my first experience with your addon. All in all though I love it and I can see myself using this instead of GCombat or CDS once it's more stable. I absolutely LOVE your shields!

4. Post #284
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Reinstall the mod, and try that. GCombat doesn't normally affect this, i know; i have it and CDE and they both work fine. In fact, you NEED GCombat for most of the SBEP weapons. And if it persists, try right clicking on a prop after spawning it, to set the gen's shape. That might help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #285
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Reinstall the mod, and try that. GCombat doesn't normally affect this, i know; i have it and CDE and they both work fine. In fact, you NEED GCombat for most of the SBEP weapons. And if it persists, try right clicking on a prop after spawning it, to set the gen's shape. That might help.
    Reinstall which mod? Also I have SBMP not SBEP, though I am downloading it now that I am aware of it haha!

6. Post #286
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    I removed gcombat (no great loss, since most SBEP weaopns work, they just use some SFX from teh gcombat system, like partiles for the mac gun) and CDE works perfectly fine for me.

7. Post #287
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    I think he means CDE, Jerikuer, haha.

8. Post #288
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    This mod, duh. SbMP and SBEp are 90% the same thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

9. Post #289
    October 2008
    212 Posts
    This mod, duh. SbMP and SBEp are 90% the same thing.
    More like 50% since the models alone in SBEP takes up 150MB of aprox 600MB.
    SBMP are just a Model pack while SBEP are SOOO much more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #290
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Hey, estimate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #291
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    Oh, crazy question re: CDE weapons and shields.

I had an idea after watching battlestar galactica and it sorta ties in with my strategic missle system. Is it possible to have nuclear missle launchers introduced into CDE? (admin only of course), these weapons could be used the same way as any other rocket launcher, slower firing naturally, and set off like any normal nuke. That way in a good spacewar server wtih non minging players, you could have a good battle between two teams using nuclear arms.

Of course you dont have to copy the redemmer code exactly, just a nuclear type explosion and heavy damage on teh missle, it can still just be a rocket instead of a nuke.

This would bring me to my next suggestion, if it's just a true nuclear bomb in rocket laucher former, can the shields be used to stop anything inside the shield perimeter from being unconstrained by a nuclear hit? That way ships can survive nuclear hits on each other, until at least their shields are down and then the nuke can be an endgame weapon for a battle. Or even config CDE to only unconstrain ships when they're at like 25% or 10% of their original hull integrity.

Tho if you just use the nuclear explosion SFX and create your own rocket type, then you can stop the unconstraining process alltogether and just have nuclear explosions against the hulls of ships.

It seriously would make for an epic space battle, honestly. i'd code the weapons myself but unfortunantly i have very little experience with lua in gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #292
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    I have a bug to report;
    Contraption Shielding - I'm not sure what went wrong or why it broke but at first it would spawn the ball just fine but I couldn't get it to work. Then I realized I needed energy, but by that time I had removed it already. So I tried spawning a new one on the same contraption but it gave me an error in the console (forgot to copy it) and it spawned an ERROR model with the texture of the ball. So as you can guess I never got to try it out.

GCombat - I'm not sure if it is compatible now or not but when I tried using it it had no effect on shields what so ever.

CDE - I have GCombat but I'm not sure if CDE or GCombat is the one doing the damage but it seems it's GCombat.

SBMP Weapons - Not compatible.

I know this is alpha or beta or whatever and I couldn't be arsed to read 8 pages, I just thought I would report my first experience with your addon. All in all though I love it and I can see myself using this instead of GCombat or CDS once it's more stable. I absolutely LOVE your shields!
    SBEP weapons (they renamed it from SBMP about two years ago) that fire bullets do not interact with the bubble shield, but they do with the contraption shield as that is seen as an extra layer of health.

Any SBEP weapons that fire a projectile damage themselves on collision with the shields and contraptions (as well as the actual target), however there is a fix for this in the CDE readme.

Both CDE and Gcombat weapons will damage contraption shields, any Gcombat weapon that fires a projectile will also damage bubble shields but will slowly break themselves unless you apply the same fix as mentioned in the readme (note: may not apply to all Gcombat weapons, but definitely helps with SBEP weps).

If you can't spawn the ball, use another model (I think its right click with the tool to set the shield generator model). The sphere is so big its better to do this anyway.

Edited:

can you make a tutorial on how to use all of it? because at first i thought it was like regular gcombat and you could wire these things up to like a button then use them like that, but when i tried it didnt work like that. and not everyone is good with wiremod and this clearly uses a lot of it.
    You can still do it that way, but you need to link them up to life support. That is, an energy source as defined by the LS2 or LS3 addons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #293
    May 2007
    430 Posts
    I removed gcombat (no great loss, since most SBEP weaopns work, they just use some SFX from teh gcombat system, like partiles for the mac gun) and CDE works perfectly fine for me.
    One problem with that is that CoDE only overrides the standard damange functions, not the energy hit and explode. Some use the gcombat registration function to make an entity have more health or armour.
    It'd be nice if CoDE could completely replace those functions if GCombat isn't installed.

14. Post #294
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    SBEP weapons (they renamed it from SBMP about two years ago) that fire bullets do not interact with the bubble shield, but they do with the contraption shield as that is seen as an extra layer of health.

Any SBEP weapons that fire a projectile damage themselves on collision with the shields and contraptions (as well as the actual target), however there is a fix for this in the CDE readme.

Both CDE and Gcombat weapons will damage contraption shields, any Gcombat weapon that fires a projectile will also damage bubble shields but will slowly break themselves unless you apply the same fix as mentioned in the readme (note: may not apply to all Gcombat weapons, but definitely helps with SBEP weps).

If you can't spawn the ball, use another model (I think its right click with the tool to set the shield generator model). The sphere is so big its better to do this anyway.
    Most of that explains what has been happening with my install. However GCombat and SBEP do not register the shield and just go right through it. Does the fix in the readme fix that or just the weapons destroying themselves? I fired one shot with a pulse rifle from SBEP and it blew up so I assume that stops that.

I wish I knew why I'm having such a hard time with this thing. Yes it's in Beta but still, everyone says it's compatible but me.

15. Post #295
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Here are some errors I have come across while trying this out.

I got these while shooting at a water base with a shield dome.
    Code:
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer:  got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/phoenix_storms/zc_tube.vmt
    VertexLitGeneric, 
    You now own this prop
    You now own this prop
    Set name: 
    Timer Error: entities/base_ordinance_wet/init.lua:53: attempt to index global 'sshield' (a nil value)
    Timer Error: entities/base_ordinance_wet/init.lua:53: attempt to index global 'sshield' (a nil value)
    EastBayWilly removed weapon_ordinance_torpedo
    Unfroze 1 Objects
    Unfroze 1 Objects
    You now own this prop
    Also while using smart constraints be careful while constraining a contraption with lifts. Otherwise the lifts will also get welded and cause errors.

Despite all my efforts GCombat and SBEP still do not work.

Crap I thought automerge would do its thing...sorry.

16. Post #296
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    Most of that explains what has been happening with my install. However GCombat and SBEP do not register the shield and just go right through it. Does the fix in the readme fix that or just the weapons destroying themselves? I fired one shot with a pulse rifle from SBEP and it blew up so I assume that stops that.

I wish I knew why I'm having such a hard time with this thing. Yes it's in Beta but still, everyone says it's compatible but me.
    The readme fix will prevent the weapons destroying themselves, it will not prevent certain weapons passing through the bubble however.

I have never seen those errors before o_o best wait for Arania on those.

17. Post #297
    February 2009
    26 Posts

Edited:

You can still do it that way, but you need to link them up to life support. That is, an energy source as defined by the LS2 or LS3 addons.
    by LS2 and LS3 do you mean life support?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #298
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Yes, he does. And RD2/RD3 is Resource Distribution.Also, SB2/SB3 are Spacebuild;SMBP is spacebuild model pack, and SBEP is spacebuild enhancement project.

EDIT: WTF? "Bad Spelling"? Fucking where?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,682 Posts
    Yes, he does. And RD2/RD3 is Resource Distribution.

Edited:

And SB2/SB3 are Spacebuild;SMBP is spacebuild model pack, and SBEP is spacebuild enmahncement project.
    EnemaWHAT?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

20. Post #300
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    I don't remember the name of the guy who made the mod and my net's being funny.

Whoever you are, do you have sounds lined up for things like the shield? If not, would you like some, i have a bunch of sfx ripped from a few games that may suit things like the shield, rocket launcher and pulse laser, i can give you rips of them if you want.

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,537 Posts

Whoever you are, do you have sounds lined up for things like the shield? If not, would you like some, i have a bunch of sfx ripped from a few games that may suit things like the shield, rocket launcher and pulse laser, i can give you rips of them if you want.
    I am going to kill myself if I hear this one more time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly x 3Agree x 2Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,830 Posts

Maybe if you read the first page and the others after that you would know that the creator of this addon is Arania and that he already said he is not looking for SFX or anything of the sort.

23. Post #303
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    What? Who? What's wrong, Morcam?
    Remember who's doing the SFX soon for your precious GCombat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #304
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    Is your head up your ass for the warmth?

Stop assuming every thread mentioning sound is a comment towards you, you're not that important.

His comment was more along the lines of "will people stop asking". Was nothing to do with you.

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming" - Nori))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #305
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    I am going to kill myself if I hear this one more time.
    Feel free

Maybe if you read the first page and the others after that you would know that the creator of this addon is Arania and that he already said he is not looking for SFX or anything of the sort.
    Maybe if you'd read my post properly you'd have noticed that the post creator (me) could NOT read earlier pages when I posted due to net problem. Why is that so hard to figure out?

26. Post #306
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Is your head up your ass for the warmth?

Stop assuming every thread mentioning sound is a comment towards you, you're not that important.

His comment was more along the lines of "will people stop asking". Was nothing to do with you.
    Calm down, that time i wasn't negging. It's true, his friend and he are working on the next GCombat. I've been allowed to make SFX, and we're soon to resume work on it. Besides, it's not exactly clear what he was referring to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #307
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    Calm down, that time i wasn't negging. It's true, his friend and he are working on the next GCombat. I've been allowed to make SFX, and we're soon to resume work on it. Besides, it's not exactly clear what he was referring to.
    You also need to stop assuming I'm pissed off every post I make involving you :cool:

Now on topic: My own contribution to this project is coming on nicely and you should be seeing the fruits of this come the end of the weekend at the latest (work sucks).

28. Post #308
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    cool on the contraption shield redesign.

In regards to the XYZ targeting you mentioned, is it possible in your imlpementation of this to add a "wait to lock" to the wire values?

Basically, this would result in the missle flying forward in the direction the launcher is facing for teh delay period beforei t turns and aquires whatever the XYZ coordinates are.

This would really be helpful in spacebuild or in naval wars where you have a strategic missle launcher inside your ship, but you dont want the missles to immediately track to a target since they'd inevitably hit the hull. A delay like this would give the missle time to get clear before it homes in.

Now, the reason why i'd suggest this over a simple timer/lock method is that if you try the timer/lock method on existing missle pods, like the SBEP ones, this results in the first missle getting clear, but every subsequent missle fired would smash into your hull anyway until you delay locking until the last one fires, at which point the first few missles have most likely already hit the environment or disspeared due to life expiration of the rocket.

By having an option on the launcher and programming a delay like that means each individual missle object created by the launcher will be on it's own personalized timer, so to prevent misfiring like this.

Does that make sense, or is my explanation too confusing?
    That's already planned for the Missile re-code. As it is now, the missile has a hard-coded one second lock-on delay

Oh, crazy question re: CDE weapons and shields.

I had an idea after watching battlestar galactica and it sorta ties in with my strategic missle system. Is it possible to have nuclear missle launchers introduced into CDE? (admin only of course), these weapons could be used the same way as any other rocket launcher, slower firing naturally, and set off like any normal nuke. That way in a good spacewar server wtih non minging players, you could have a good battle between two teams using nuclear arms.

Of course you dont have to copy the redemmer code exactly, just a nuclear type explosion and heavy damage on teh missle, it can still just be a rocket instead of a nuke.

This would bring me to my next suggestion, if it's just a true nuclear bomb in rocket laucher former, can the shields be used to stop anything inside the shield perimeter from being unconstrained by a nuclear hit? That way ships can survive nuclear hits on each other, until at least their shields are down and then the nuke can be an endgame weapon for a battle. Or even config CDE to only unconstrain ships when they're at like 25% or 10% of their original hull integrity.

Tho if you just use the nuclear explosion SFX and create your own rocket type, then you can stop the unconstraining process alltogether and just have nuclear explosions against the hulls of ships.

It seriously would make for an epic space battle, honestly. i'd code the weapons myself but unfortunantly i have very little experience with lua in gmod.
    I have no intention to make anything resembling a nuclear weapon for CDE, Admin-Only or otherwise.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, projectiles need to be coded in a specific way in order for the shield to recognise it. Most Gcombat and SBEP projectiles are NOT recognised by the bubble shield.

Here are some errors I have come across while trying this out.

I got these while shooting at a water base with a shield dome.
    Code:
    KeyValues Error: RecursiveLoadFromBuffer:  got EOF instead of keyname in file materials/phoenix_storms/zc_tube.vmt
    VertexLitGeneric, 
    You now own this prop
    You now own this prop
    Set name: 
    EastBayWilly removed weapon_ordinance_torpedo
    Unfroze 1 Objects
    Unfroze 1 Objects
    You now own this prop
    Also while using smart constraints be careful while constraining a contraption with lifts. Otherwise the lifts will also get welded and cause errors.

Despite all my efforts GCombat and SBEP still do not work.

Crap I thought automerge would do its thing...sorry.
    Fixed. Spelling error

My name is Arania.

And i'm not looking for anyone else to help with SFX. I already have someone doing that.

This is relevant to the dicussion how?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,537 Posts
    Do you have a great reason to stalk me? Did you get tired of Arania and Avon?

Seriously, you're not doing sound effects for GCombat 2 either. I think all the devs in the community are getting pretty tired of you asking.

However, for future reference, I'd like to keep GC2 out of this thread. Please don't mention it here. I think Arania made a great damage system by any regard, and this thread is about that damage system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #310
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Do you have a great reason to stalk me? Did you get tired of Arania and Avon?

Seriously, you're not doing sound effects for GCombat 2 either. I think all the devs in the community are getting pretty tired of you asking.

However, for future reference, I'd like to keep GC2 out of this thread. Please don't mention it here. I think Arania made a great damage system by any regard, and this thread is about that damage system.
    For fuck's sake lay off me.

Edited:

But here's one contribution i CAN make: If and when this thread ets closed and it is reopened, might it be possible to put it in the RELEASES area? By then, i imagine, it will not be quite so Beta. Oh by the way Morcam i got the SB working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2 (list)

31. Post #311
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,830 Posts
    I started up Gmod today and I got this error popping up every time I start. I have the right value in the cvar text file. Not sure why it is did this. It used to not do this.

Hook 'CDamage_Override' Failed: autorun/server/cengine_damageengine_overrider.lua:29: attempt to index global 'gcombat' (a nil value)
    I also noticed that the contraption force field, depending on the complexity of the contraption or models its using, it can be a little off. Sometimes a little to high, low, etc. I tested it with some of the Tiled blocks and it is a little to high and doesn't cover the bottom of the model well. That might just be a prop error though.

32. Post #312
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    I also noticed that the contraption force field, depending on the complexity of the contraption or models its using, it can be a little off. Sometimes a little to high, low, etc. I tested it with some of the Tiled blocks and it is a little to high and doesn't cover the bottom of the model well. That might just be a prop error though.
    The extrapolation can be a bit hit or miss depending on the actual position of the props - the shield skin seems to find a midpoint, so if your contraption is bending a bit it will be a little off. Not by a huge amount, however.

It also have other drawing issues, sometimes skipping props all together. Luckily the shield applies despite this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #313
    February 2009
    26 Posts
    ok can someone tell me what all i need to use this stuff? ima go on a downloadin spree
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

34. Post #314
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    That's already planned for the Missile re-code. As it is now, the missile has a hard-coded one second lock-on delay
    Cool

I have no intention to make anything resembling a nuclear weapon for CDE, Admin-Only or otherwise.
    Rather dissapointing, it wouldnt really have been a nuclear weapon, just a strategic anti-ship missle with a nuclear flash on it. You wouldnt need radiaton or any of that crap.

What about concussion missles as an option then? They hit an enemy ship and knock it about, so they may not do much damage but can push a ship off course?

And do you have plans for any sort of space-based torpedo launcher? I saw your underwater one, a space based one would be great too.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, projectiles need to be coded in a specific way in order for the shield to recognise it. Most Gcombat and SBEP projectiles are NOT recognised by the bubble shield.
    That seems more like an issue wtih your override not working, then their weapons being badly coded, they're both just using the gcombat standard, nothing fancy.

My name is Arania.
    Ok

And i'm not looking for anyone else to help with SFX. I already have someone doing that.
    Offer is there if you still need it. Got a whole library of sounds floating about, one day i'll use em i guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    74 Posts
    Anyone know of any servers using this? I'd love to try it out but playing by myself is no good :<
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #316
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    Oh, one more thing Arania while i remember it. Is there a chance, even a remote chance, when the moon is full and your 3 greatest wishes in the world hav been granted and buddah's face warms all of creation...

that collision damage can be implemented in CDE? So ramming ships is actually effective? Would put CDE leagues ahead of Gcombat and CDS.

37. Post #317
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    Oh I see. I'll stop complaining about them now haha.

Fixed. Spelling error
    Sweet deal :)

Edited:

Oh, one more thing Arania while i remember it. Is there a chance, even a remote chance, when the moon is full and your 3 greatest wishes in the world hav been granted and buddah's face warms all of creation...

that collision damage can be implemented in CDE? So ramming ships is actually effective? Would put CDE leagues ahead of Gcombat and CDS.
    That is asking for a lot..You would have to make the props ignore other props that are a part of the same contraption otherwise the contraptions would always destroy themselves.

38. Post #318
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    541 Posts
    Perhaps specific ramming blades or prows that do damage based on the entity's momentum when it impacts the target?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Taiwan Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    74 Posts
    Perhaps specific ramming blades or prows that do damage based on the entity's momentum when it impacts the target?
    I don't think ramming is an important combat system at this time. Getting a nice set of weapons and making sure everything is balanced is the top priority (my guess).

40. Post #320
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    That is asking for a lot..You would have to make the props ignore other props that are a part of the same contraption otherwise the contraptions would always destroy themselves.
    That's actually fairly easy, there are hooks for objects to ignore constrained objects. The hard part is the math behind dealing appropriate damage after calculating relative velocities and resistance.